Looking for input on buying an RV

1) No problem.
2) The outward appearance and mileage are not always the best way to judge an RV or Travel Trailer. *

* Kind of like when looking for a mate in life. :cool1:

:rotfl2:That's where you're right!! And yes, DH does have to remind me about looking good vs being mechanically and structurally sound (kind of like a mate)! Just another voice of reason - it's always good and appreciated. Another reason why I love the Disboards! :thumbsup2

Well here is my 2 cents. The biggest thing I consider when looking at RV's is the sleeping space. Our first one was a class C. It was okay when it was just the 2 of us, and still okay with 3 of us but after it became 4 of us there was no way. One thing I hate is having to make up beds each night so there was no way I was going to have a kid sleeping on the couch and having to make and unmake it each day. The other issue was the queen size bed in the master bedroom. Camper queens are not the same size as regular queen beds.

Our current RV has a king size bed for dh and I, which we need cause we are used to sleeping on a king size at home and we were driving each other crazy on the old queen sized bed. It also has twin size bunkbeds for our two girls which I love. I prefer having dedicated sleeping space and that leaves our couch free. It also has an electric drop down bunk over the front cab which we currently use as a playroom but can also be used as a bed with a blow up mattress.

I see that your kids are probably old enough to make their own beds up, but consider how that is going to go before you settle on a floor plan. With making and unmaking their own beds you are likely to have sheets and pillows and blankets thrown all over the place when the couch gets turned back into a couch and stuff like that can make a camper feel very cramped very quickly.

Another thing to look for is a big enough fridge. If you are going to be taking longer trips you will want room for food, especially with teenage boys I imagine! I wish mine had a bigger fridge, but I do all right since it has an outdoor kitchen with a second mini-fridge so I'm able to get by.

Both my mom and my aunt have Fleetwood diesels and they like them a lot. I prefer gas and have a 2014 Thor hurricane 34J. I love the floor plan on it, but I'm not crazy about Thor overall. We had a lot of slideout issues and we bought ours brand new. I took a look at both of the ones you have mentioned and I have to say I'm not crazy about the floor plans on either one for sleeping 5 people but that's just me.

Last but not least, one thing to consider is bathroom accessibility when the slideouts are completely in. Being able to use your own bathroom while on the road is the BEST THING EVER!

I recommend closing the slides and imagine spending the night in the coach that way, which you may have to do if you overnight at a truck stop or Walmart. Our 2001 Winnebago functioned well that way even though it was a little snug. Our 2008 Fleetwood is awful when closed.

Last but not least, one thing to consider is bathroom accessibility when the slideouts are completely in. Being able to use your own bathroom while on the road is the BEST THING EVER!

I agree and so does the DW on this. Our TT has a second door that opens right to the bathroom. And it is great. Nothing like a clean place to do your business.

As someone who started with a Class C and is now the owner of a 40' Class A, I agree that going with the Class A is a good choice. We only kept the Class C a year and traded it in. My husband, who has his commercial license and can likewise drive anything, could not believe the difference in the handling and stability of the Class A over the Class C. It makes a huge difference on long drives. I'm told the diesel engines hold-up better than the gas engines, so that was another deciding factor when making upgrade to the Class A. I agree with one of the previous posts that the floor plan makes a difference and although I'm not sure of the ages of your children, I know mine would have outgrown the sleeping area on the Class C quickly.

I would make one recommendation, however, which is that the better RVs are often more expensive because they are built better. If you plan on keeping the RV for a long time, it may be worth putting in a few more dollars now and ensuring that you get a quality product.

We also own a DVC membership - purchased before we decided to purchase the RV - and we split our stay between a villa and the Fort every time we go now. We arrive and spend a few days at the Fort and then move to the villa. It's the best of both worlds! Good Luck!

Thank you ALL for the replies! We have narrowed it down to two RV's... That being said - what are your thoughts on slide outs? I wouldn't buy a rig without them - just a matter of how many? And are campgrounds pretty accommodating and accessible to the added width required? And what about length? One RV is 34', the other 38'. Are there pros and cons to longer motorhomes?

You're right - slide outs are a 'must'! We have three - two on one side, one nearly full length on the driver's side. We love it and have 'no' complaints after using it for 'many' trips in the last two years. It is 34' (really 35') and towing a vehicle, dh says he doesn't want a longer one - very easy for him to maneuver - fine by me - have as much room as we'll every need.

As others said, just check used units out very thoroughly - visual, as well as 'anything' that has a motor!! Best of luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter