• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for help with designing Epcot Amazing Race Plan

josassoc

Earning My Ears
I have four kids, twin DS (11YO), teenage DS (17YO) and new college grad DD (22YO). My hubby and I have ressie at Le Cellier at 4pm and are planning on Drinking Around the World after that. I just had the idea to send the kids in two teams (older/younger together, each) on an Amazing Race for several hours in Epcot (only this park please) to let them compete and hopefully bond with older siblings while vacating!

I've got a few ideas...but could use some help. They are always making us adults watch their reality shows...Ugh! (Amazing Race, fear Factor). So, this is a bit of payback. Ideas for interesting -- translated, yucky -- eats? Good hunts for them to do? They will probably be taking pics on their cell phones as proof of completion of each checkpoint.

Is 4-6 hours long enough? I've fished through the threads here and found the lady who designed it for 9YO DD. Looking for new/fresh ideas to add... The younger boys are pretty competitive and up for a challenge. Also, some sort of prize/motivation for the winning team (that wouldn't completely deflate the losing team) would be great. I'm thinking of having them start on opposing ends of the World Showcase and move to the middle and cross, so they won't realize who is ahead...then just give a time limit rather than a finish line, so this doesn't go on forever. Thanks for the help!!

This is our Amazing Race from last year, the 2nd half was at Epcot.

1.Make your way to the Magic Kingdom and you will receive your first clue after you make your way to Main Street.

2.Detour-ride one of these 2 rides there is pros and cons to both
Space Mountain is a fast ride but could be a long wait
Carousel of Progress is a long ride but could be a short wait

3.Roadblock-Find any character except for Stitch and get your picture taken with the character for your next clue

4.Roadblock-Make your way to where the Robinsons have their tree house and make it to the top to receive your next clue

5.Roadblock-Make your way to Tommorowland and order Daddys favorite treat to receive your next clue.(My husband loves Cream Cheese Pretzels)

6.Roadblock-Make your way to the Wilderness Lodge and locate where the geyser goes off,get there the fastest way you think to receive your next clue

7.Roadblock- Make your way back to Magic Kingdom BUT you have to take the boat to receive your next clue

8.Detour -Make your way to EPCOT by bus or monorail, you decide what way you think will be faster to receive your next clue

9.Detour- Either taste all 8 sodas at Club Cool or ride Spaceship Earth
Club Cool should be faster but not enjoyable
Spaceship Earth will be longer but enjoyable

11. Roadlock Bring your parent to where mommys favorite beer is and have them order a drink and then you will receive your next clue. (Canada is where my favorite beer is, Labatts. After all that I needed one)

11.Roadblock- Go to 5 countrys and receive stamps on this piece of paper to receive your next clue

12.Roadblock-Make your way to the American Pavilion and go to the Hall of Flags exhibit and count how many flags are in the hallway
, once you get the correct # you will receive your next clue(44 flags we think, both kids had a hard time with this one but I read somewhere that there is 44)

13.Roadblock-Make your way to England and wait for a call to receive your next clue ( we called the phones from our cell phones)
Center Booth 407-827-9863

14.Roadblock-Make your way to the shipwreck at the hotel where we sleep to receive your next clue. (we were staying at the Yacht & Beach Club)

15.Pit Stop-Make your way to the place where you can get a dessert in a kitchen sink to receive your reward. ( we went to Beaches and Cream and got the kitchen sink)

It didn't occur to me to call them. They could text me when they are there,then I could call to confirm and give them their next clue. Great idea!

This is a very cool idea.

I would give them a set of envelopes so they can open their clues just like in Amazing Race rather than calling in and getting the clues over the phone. I think so you and hubby can relax while they're racing, they should just keep racing and not keep calling in. They could just take photos of each step as they complete the step.

Some more ideas:

Complete one Phineas and Ferb mission

Find a particular hidden Mickey

Give them a picture of a place and they need to find it -- they sell a book that has cropped photos and then they show you where to find whatever is in the photo. I saw the book at DTD -- Once Upon a Toy store.

You could leave the scavenger hunt until one of the later days so that you can add some detours where they just have to answer a question. This way, while they're visiting EPCOT and maybe the other parks, they'll pay attention to the details. Look at the D23 Great Disney Scavenger hunt website. The questions were assigned point values so if they didn't know an answer, they could just skip it and then you tally up the points at the end.

When you go to the pool activities at the resorts, the recreation department does fun trivia games like "how many gallons of water are in the Mickey ears water tower at HS?" Answer: 0

I totally love this idea (though my family is addicted to the Amazing Race...). Maybe you could also have them learn how to say something in a language form certain countries (like, "thank you", "my family rocks" or "mom is the best"). It's been a long time but I seem to recall there are citizens from each country at the World Showcase, so it shouldn't be too difficult if your kids are outgoing.

Maybe they could find out how many triangles are on the sphere. Or when certain attractions were built. Or have to complete mission space. Or get a signature/autograph from certain characters or get their picture taken with them.

As a final challenge they could identify the flags from each country from world showcase.

What a fun idea. Can I join your family? :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter