Looking for help from my Long Island peeps

Jennasis

DIS life goes on
It's a long and heartbreaking and harrowing tale, but it seems my sister needs to find a new home for her two cats. They are 10 year old brothers. Wonderful, friendly, INDOOR cats who love to snuggle. I really can't say enough nice things about them. They don't chew or scratch furniture or have any bad habits. They are litter box trained and never go outside. They have been together since the day they were born so splitting them up isn't an option. She'd like to rehome them to someone on the Island (she lives in Lake Grove) so she can keep in contact with the new family...she is devastated to have to do this. She has had them since the day they left their mom's side. It's a long story and like I said, she is NOT happy about this.

Do you mind me asking why she has to find a new home for them? No flames, but it might help if people know the reason (has to move, can't afford to keep them, she has developed allergies etc...). Depending on the situation, I know of certain groups that might be able to help.

She should see if any rescue groups will put a courtesy post on their Facebook page or their web site.

I am no where NEAR NY, but I do assist cat rescues by simply re-posting on Facebook little darlings in need. Sometimes, they just need small donations to off-set vet bills, sometimes they need a pull from a shelter, or what have you.

Pictures help so much, especially if you can get a cute shot of the two of them, like with paws on each other or SOMETHING to make them sappy cute.

Can you also try to find a rescue who would take them in for a donation? Maybe they can find a foster until a forever home is found.

I'm so sorry for your sister. I would be heartbroken if I had to separate from my Blue kittygirl, no matter the reason.

Are you on Facebook? I would gladly post their pictures there to cat rescue people since friends of friends of friends are on the East Coast.

The story is long and sordid but essentially she has a step son who is allergic.

I live in Setauket, one town east of Lake Grove. Have her contact Save A Pet on route 112 in Port Jefferson Station: it is about 10-15 minutes east depending on where she is in Lake Grove. They are really big in rescue/adopting cats and have helped my friend place a bunch of feral cats that she has rescued.

North Shore will help..

but asking for the new family to allow the old owner to visit etc is just silly.. They are taking in older (and two of them) pets and you want your sister to still be able to visit?

IF she wants them then care for them.. If she cant then bless the family that takes up that job. But don't expect them to foster the old owner on top of the pets.

Another rescue to contact is League for Animal Protection of Huntington.

I'm sure it was a hard decision for your sister to make. All of these rescue groups mentioned are good ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter