Looking for a portable DVD player - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by bigAWL, Mar 31, 2008.

1. bigAWL

bigAWL DIS Veteran

I want to buy a portable DVD player for long plane rides (I currently live in Africa and travel to the US a couple times a year). I have a laptop, but the battery only lasts for about 1 movie.

Here's the criteria I'm looking for:

1. long-lasting battery (2-3 movies would be good).
    2. not too expensive ($100-200 range, hopefully)
    3. not too heavy (less than my 6-lb laptop computer)

Anyone have a suggestion for a model that meets those specs? Of course, good picture quality, and build-quality are always nice. Speakers are not important to me, as I would always use headphones.

I know one of my problems is that I want long battery-life and light-weight. Maybe a model that uses standard size, replaceable batteries (such as AA) so I could replace them, even if it means several sets of rechargeables. But hopefully not a proprietary size that costs $100 or more for a spare.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. fla4fun

fla4fun DIS Veteran

I bought my sister a portable Toshiba DVD player last year for her birthday, so I did a lot of shopping around. I didn't see anything that took standard batteries - they were all proprietary. I would have bought anything that would have taken standard batteries, because you would never have to charge it. She really enjoys hers though, so I guess it's not a problem.

4. Manda

Manda DIS Veteran

For DS, we switched to using an iPod for playing movies on all of our trips. Better battery life and much easier to carry. It's worked out perfectly.

5. Lewisc

Lewisc <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

Some ideas:

1) Some planes offer a power outlet in the seats. Check with your airline
    2) You can buy an external battery. Best Buy has 3 options
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...p=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960
    if the link doesn't work just do a search for portable dvd player battery
    3) Spend a few extra $$$. The real cheap units have poor battery life. Best Buy lets you search, and battery life is one of the criteria you can use. Remember the mfg are optimistic. A unit that claims 2 or 2.5 hours probably won't last for an entire movie.

Remember a lot of buyers are planning to use the unit in a car and won't be relying on batter life.

6. JoAnn319

JoAnn319 Jo319

I have a panasonic DVD-LS83. 2 lbs - 6 hours playback time. I love it and take it everywhere. Also in your price range. :goodvibes

7. MRS AR

MRS AR DIS Veteran

I have a sony that I've had for several years but I agree with the poster that said to get an I-pod. I've had an I-pod for 2 years and haven't taken my sony dvd player on a trip since. The movies have to be bought from Itunes (unless you are much more computer savy than I am) but the convenience of size can't be beat. There is also an adapter you can buy that will recharge your I-pod with batteries if you need it.

I have the whole season of old Alfred Hitchcock TV loaded on mine along with movies. There are great options of seasons of cartoons for your son too.

Have a great trip!