Looking for a little adult time

Just a quick note on phones inside the parks: tried to do the phone thing to keep track of kids and other leaders at King's Island with our boy scout troop one year. No one could hear their phones with all the park noise...

We let the DS15 and DD12 roam together last year. They wanted to pool hop over to PBR from RPR. They were turned away at the pool gate because they were not 18. They were very upset and called us on their phones. I was surprised at the policy, but no biggie.
So they went to USO together and according to them had the best time because it was up to them to choose rides, not dad 'dragging them from one thing to another'. haha

I would be for this. My two oldest DD (12&10) are excellent swimmers, they compete in swimming and always take first or second and I would not be comfortable leaving them at a pool.
I used to lifeguard and have seen too many things happen so fast. But then again my oldest is only 12.
Our lives are dominated by swim team practices and competitions, so my children are considered outstanding swimmers. My oldest is also a lifeguard and can't believe all the parents that think just because there is a lifeguard there, the children are safe. I would not be comfortable leaving my excellent swimmers at that age at a pool without a parent somewhere in the hotel.

We have also allowed them to explore the parks on their own at that age. But swimming without a chaperone is another story.

An alternative is to see what movies are playing at the AMC Cineplex in CityWalk. It is close to Margaritaville so you can go over there and wait. Send them into a movie, go have your drinks and people watching, and then be waiting at the doors when the movie is over.

Our lives are dominated by swim team practices and competitions, so my children are considered outstanding swimmers. My oldest is also a lifeguard and can't believe all the parents that think just because there is a lifeguard there, the children are safe. I would not be comfortable leaving my excellent swimmers at that age at a pool without a parent somewhere in the hotel.

We have also allowed them to explore the parks on their own at that age. But swimming without a chaperone is another story.

An alternative is to see what movies are playing at the AMC Cineplex in CityWalk. It is close to Margaritaville so you can go over there and wait. Send them into a movie, go have your drinks and people watching, and then be waiting at the doors when the movie is over.
Sorry for some reason my reply didn't quote a person so my answer did not make sense/ sounded like I would be fine with them swimming. I tried quoting the person that stated why not have pizza and movie in their room. I would not be comfortable leaving my kids at a pool but I don't know when I would be.

Tough one, but I'd be more comfortable letting them go to the park as opposed to the pool. First, I would guess that the type of crimes that a 12 and 14 year old could fall victim to are far easier in a hotel setting than an amusement park. Other than the workers, everyone in the park paid to get in. That may not be the case at the HRH pool. Second, I don't have the stats on it, but I'd venture to guess that there are more opportunities for trouble or injury at a pool than in the park. Sure they could do something stupid anywhere, but it is a lot tougher to do something stupid on the Hulk ride than it would be at the swimming pool.

I have let me older son (12) and his fried go off on their own at our local amusement park. Not for long periods (must check in every two hours was the rule).

Do you have park tickets for the day you plan to do this? Why not have one of you retrieve them from the park at a specific time so that they aren't wandering around the City Walk unsupervised?

Tough one, but I'd be more comfortable letting them go to the park as opposed to the pool. First, I would guess that the type of crimes that a 12 and 14 year old could fall victim to are far easier in a hotel setting than an amusement park. Other than the workers, everyone in the park paid to get in. That may not be the case at the HRH pool. Second, I don't have the stats on it, but I'd venture to guess that there are more opportunities for trouble or injury at a pool than in the park. Sure they could do something stupid anywhere, but it is a lot tougher to do something stupid on the Hulk ride than it would be at the swimming pool.

I have let me older son (12) and his fried go off on their own at our local amusement park. Not for long periods (must check in every two hours was the rule).

Do you have park tickets for the day you plan to do this? Why not have one of you retrieve them from the park at a specific time so that they aren't wandering around the City Walk unsupervised?
If I can talk them into it, I think I might try the park. We have the Orlando Flex ticket and access to Universal for as many as 14 days if we wanted. Since Margaritaville is just outside Islands of Adventure, we would have them drop by when they are done. While I am not concerned at all about their water safety, the crime thing is a worry and, you are right, I think they would be less likely to have any problems in the parks.

Thanks all for your input. Now, come on August!!!

The Cineplex is a really good idea!

Last edited:

I would worry more about child predators than crooks as they frequent places where there are kids. I'd probably be more at ease leaving them in the room with a movie.

I know I saw a sign posted stating the minimal age for children to be alone in the pool area. I can't for the life of me remember what the age was, but it seemed surprisingly high to me. I'm pretty sure it was 18.

I know I saw a sign posted stating the minimal age for children to be alone in the pool area. I can't for the life of me remember what the age was, but it seemed surprisingly high to me. I'm pretty sure it was 18.
I'm probably leaning toward either a movie for them or the parks. The pool is looking like less of a good idea given all the (valid) concerns expessed here.

At fourteen I had a part time job and frequently was dropped off at our local water park with friends on Sundays. Nobody ever thought twice about it. Kids can grow to be more resilient and self sufficient with a little independence. I don't see a problem with either pool time or park time on their own as long as they stick together.

At fourteen I had a part time job and frequently was dropped off at our local water park with friends on Sundays. Nobody ever thought twice about it. Kids can grow to be more resilient and self sufficient with a little independence. I don't see a problem with either pool time or park time on their own as long as they stick together.

I started working at age 13-14 too. Being in S Florida we used to have a few water parks too that we were dropped off as kids with friends. But a lot has changed from the 80's and early 90's.

Even growing up in the 70's I remember my parents leaving the whole house unlocked when you went out and leave keys in the car. Used to borrow cooking items from neighbors too that we're not home with house unlocked. But back then it was a different world then it is today.

At the end of the day it's up to your own decision.

We never would have left our 12 year old without supervision if we were leaving the property.

Having said that, I had no problem at 10 (in the 70's) - when we were living in Munich Germany - heading down to the corner, buying a ticket and hopping on the train - then heading to the other side of the city to go to the Olympic stadium to go swimming. (No US military base pool in Munich)

I think we have collectively just gotten more paranoid as a society - probably due to the 24/7 news coverage available now that seeks out every possible tragic story.

We were at the pool last Monday night at Portofino Bay and there were plenty of kids there without their parents. There were also two lifeguards. I think your kids will be just fine.

We were at the pool last Monday night at Portofino Bay and there were plenty of kids there without their parents. There were also two lifeguards. I think your kids will be just fine.
Thanks. I have several options to offer them since several people here had some really good suggestions.....the Cineplex for a movie, time in the parks on their own, pizza and a movie in the room, and of course pool time. I'll see how they feel about it all and make a decision from there.

Thanks. I have several options to offer them since several people here had some really good suggestions.....the Cineplex for a movie, time in the parks on their own, pizza and a movie in the room, and of course pool time. I'll see how they feel about it all and make a decision from there.

Let us know what they decide.

Here is RPR rules.

C5CFBA5A-6949-4706-AE64-04ED8B7196E1.jpg

I know there are parents out there who allow their kids at a very young age to explore the theme parks unsupervised....I'm not sure what I would feel about that one.

I would be more comfy with a themepark than a pool, personally.

Also, the Porch of Indecision is right next to the exit from IoA.

I was looking at your sig and I'm not sure you've been there? IOA's exit is a little walk, a big bridge, another little walk, and then to the entrance of Margaritaville. And the exit from IOA is further away than the entrance to it. So it's not *right there*. Not a huge way away, but it's not immediately outside, either.

No one could hear their phones with all the park noise...

Welcome to my life. I've never been able to hear my phone in any themepark.

My oldest is also a lifeguard and can't believe all the parents that think just because there is a lifeguard there, the children are safe.

Yes.

At fourteen I had a part time job and frequently was dropped off at our local water park with friends on Sundays. Nobody ever thought twice about it.

My brother and I spent full days at the local community college pool. But it's not allowed anymore. I'm assuming that it was just too much work for the lifeguards, and that the insurance companies for the pools/parks finally spoke up. Since insurance companies speak up when they are being used too much, I assume there were just too many incidents and it got changed over time.

Here is RPR rules.

C5CFBA5A-6949-4706-AE64-04ED8B7196E1.jpg
It looks like under pool rules, my kids are fine since one is 12 and the other is 14. Although I get what pp has said about rather having them in the parks than the pool. We have been to Universal several times before and stayed at RPR so I always remember walking right next to the Porch of Indecision on our way back from the parks.....though maybe I am remembering it wrong.

yup, that is where the porch of indecision is......
right next to the walk path to rpr.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter