Long time between trips, feeling like i dont belong

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by StitchesGr8Fan, Dec 10, 2012.

1. StitchesGr8Fan

StitchesGr8Fan DIS Veteran

Hello fellow Disers! I'm kinda bummed out right now. Disney World is my favorite place. I listen to podcasts and read about Disney constantly.

My husband and I have decided to put any vacation plans on hold for the next couple of years. We are expecting our first child in July, and want to focus on paying down his student loans. Knowing that it will probably be at least 3 years before we plan our next trip, I feel like I don't belong here any more. Am I just being an emotional pregnant lady? I really feel like you guys are my friends but what can I contribute if I'm not going to Disney yearly?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. misstheworld

misstheworld My Prince Charming is mecarroll

You're not the only one! I'm due in April (also first baby) and we don't have plans to return to the World for awhile. However, I love how the boards and podcasts help me stay connected to what's going on.

Congratulations on your newest family member!

4. Sarabi's Cubs

Sarabi's Cubs DIS Veteran

Of course you belong!!!! I think that people who can't go often have a very valuable perspective and I know I've heard members of the podcast team validate that. Most people who visit Disney don't live in Orlando and are not able to visit several times a year. It's easy to get a little jaded and notice what's missing when you see something all the time, so I think it's important to hear from people who are experiencing things for the first time (or for the first time in awhile).

Disney's not just a place that you visit. It's a mindset, and being on the boards and listening to the podcast helps keep that magic alive between trips.

Congrats to both of you!!!!

Laurie

5. Stacy's a freak

Stacy's a freak wrangles snakes

Congrats on your new addition (both of you)! I can definitely understand your feelings about not being able to contribute - I feel the same way! I haven't been in a couple of years and I have no concrete plans to travel there soon so I'm in the same boat. I am hopeful for a "surprise" Christmas gift of an Easter trip but it might just be wishful thinking on my part. So I'm cooling my heels here living vicariously through those who are going or have gone recently. I think that's why I hang out on the Unplugged board because I have nothing to contribute to the Theme Parks board :( So let's all long for the World together! :hug:

6. *NikkiBell*

*NikkiBell* The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible Moderator

As echoed above, of COURSE you belong here! :hug::hug::hug:

There's a lot more to the DIS than planning a Disney trip. There are dozens of people who haven't gone to the World in years or even at all, but join in threads due to the camaraderie or to stay connected to Disney happenings; some are in your exact situation and have trips in mind for many years down the road. There are also forums for non-Disney topics: Budget Board, Disney Movies, Music, & Games, The Creative Community (for crafters and cooks), and more.

Start poking around, and I guarantee that you'l find threads that are not about trip planning. I also hope you join in the fun here on the Podcast forum. If not, we will have to start PMing you with "Come back" messages! Just kidding! ;)

7. SamSam

SamSam http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

As others have said, "You Belong Here". Keep coming and sharing because we're a big family here. You may not be able to visit for awhile, but eventually you will and you will be glad you stayed connected. :hug:

8. Phoenixblue

Phoenixblue Mouseketeer

again - of course you should be here! I think that is what the Dis is for!
    We get to go every 2 years, if we are lucky. So we don't go all that often.
    But we get our fix on the boards and listening to the Podcast.

And we plan our trips and alter plans or add plans all based on ideas and information from the boards and podcast. So even if it will be years before you go, you can be planning a trip - I have spreadsheets for future trips - I am currently planning 2014 - a cruise and Christmas trip, and 2016 - our first trip to Disneyland for DS 10th birthday. We just went on DDs 10th bday trip to the World.

Like Disney, love Disney, going to Disney, planing to go to Disney . . . just want to talk about Disney . . . we do it all here! Lurker to moderator - I feel all are welcome and all are wanted.

:grouphug:
    and congrats on your little one!

9. SA mom

SA mom DIS Veteran

Why don't you just start planning that first trip with Little Walt or Lillian?

10. StitchesGr8Fan

I might start doing that!

11. jessrose18

jessrose18 ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

come on over to the budget board :) they have lots of great ideas

12. Leigha

Leigha DIS Veteran

I think the podcast board is more about family/friends than parks anyway so of course you belong! It will also keep you up to date for when you are ready to go!!

13. parrotheadlois

parrotheadlois DIS Veteran

Don't go, we'll miss you! :wizard:

14. StitchesGr8Fan

I'm still hanging around! I'm looking for some legit opportunities to use some of my skills to work from home at night to pay down the debt faster.

These boards really do feel like a community and have given me so much hope and support. Thank you all so much!

15. Cherinva

Cherinva Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Just because you can't go to WDW for awhile, you still belong here.....we are all Disney Fans......

I know how you feel though, I don't have any plans for a trip to WDW this year....in fact I'm not sure when I can go again....

16. Riverhill

Riverhill DIS Veteran

I feel your pain. I am on the other end of life. My baby is off to college this year and the price of tuition will put off Disney for at least 5 years for us. I use the boards and the podcasts to bring me closer to my favorite place. I love hearing about others fun and plans. I can live through them for now and dream of someday.

17. dansyr2514

dansyr2514 DIS Veteran

I know how you feel. During the time when I don't have a trip planned, sometimes I just don't have the desire to come on here. My advice, check out more of the rumors and news boards or the podcast board where it's more about chatting about Disney things than planning a trip.

18. DSNY4ever

DSNY4ever <font color=darkorchid>I am going to keep hunting

I hear you! Our last trip to the world was in 2008, and I am finally in full swing of planning our next trip for Fall 2013. We had a baby too and this will be his first trip to WDW as a 2 year old.

You are about to get VERY busy. You will look back and wonder how you ever had so much time to spend on the DIS years ago, haha. Things will get busy, you won't be able to keep up with the boards (or sometimes even the show), but then there will be a light at the end of the tunnel and you will eventually get to plan another trip and everyone on here will be kind and helpful no matter how much you have been posting (or not posting!).

Enjoy the first year- it really does go so fast and truly is magical!

19. vikkil70

vikkil70 Mouseketeer

I know the feeling. We went in December, but DH has said this is the last trip for quite a while. We probably will not be back for several years. At first I did'nt want to go on any Disney site, since I figured it would just depress me knowing that there is no trip in the forseeable future, but I found myself drawn back to The Dis. Even if it's just to keep up on the news and rumors I'll check in every so often and of course keep listening to the show.

Congratulations on you little one. Enjoy every minute, it goes by too fast!

20. Michele

Michele <font color=blue>You're never too old to sit in a

This is exactly how I feel about it.

I haven't been for 2 years and no current plans to get back since DS19 started college this year and we'll be adding DS17 going to college next year.

At least listening to the podcast and visiting here keeps me up-to-date with the changes at WDW.

21. StitchesGr8Fan

The thing that bothers me is that I read and learn, but can't contribute since I'm not down there to see stuff and write about it.

But it's only temporary right? We are not squiring more debt, we are paying it down so there is an end date. And we are pursuing opportunities to earn more income to pay it down faster.

In the interim, I'm thinking about starting a blog that talks about our journey as well as my love for Disney. We will see if I have the guts or the skills to write an interesting blog.

I guess as long as Disney is in my heart then I have a place on the DISboards.