Lodging in Atlanta

Mich_Fan

Earning My Ears
Hi all! We are driving down to Disney from Michigan in July. We are going to stop in Atlanta to visit the aquarium and we will need to stay the night. Any ideas of where to stay?

Well The "W" hotel is about a 5 minute walk from there but it is pricy (over 300) a night. Then there is the Omni hotel which is around $250.00 a night and its probably a 10 minute walk to Aquarium. But if it were me what I would do is stop before I get into Atlanta. There are a couple places you could stop off I-75 South. One is Chastain Road in Kennesaw. It is probably about a 20 minute drive from there to the Aquarium so when you finished the Aquarium you would have to drive back North on 75 thus back tracking but there are several hotels. Embassy Suites, Springhill Suites and a Quality Inn. Then about 5 minutes south there is the Barrett Parkway exit and there is a Holiday Inn Express , Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton Inn. Then another 10 minutes or so South there is the Windy Hill Road Exit. There is a Courtyard by Mariott, Drury Inn and Suites and Hyatt Regency Suites. If it were me though I would probably pick something on Chastain Road. Lots of good places to eat. There are also lots of places on Barrett Parkway but traffic on that road tends to be heavier because of the mall I suppose. Hope this helps

We are heading that direction this weekend and have reservations at the Drury in Marietta. The area looks nice and we've found you can't usually go wrong with a Drury.

We are heading that direction this weekend and have reservations at the Drury in Marietta. The area looks nice and we've found you can't usually go wrong with a Drury.

I live about 15 minutes north of there. Anyway it is easy to get to. Get off 75 turn right and then first left and there it is

I live about 15 minutes north of there. Anyway it is easy to get to. Get off 75 turn right and then first left and there it is

Thanks!! Any recommendations for dinner in that area? Not looking for anything fancy since we will have been on the road for 10 hours.

Thanks!! Any recommendations for dinner in that area? Not looking for anything fancy since we will have been on the road for 10 hours.

Well there is McDonalds :rolleyes127 feet from Hotel but I have a feeling you don't mean that. Although there is a chick-fil-a across the street. There is also Papacitos and Papadeaux down the road. Come out of hotel back to Windy Hill. Turn right go across I 75 and its on the right. Honestly though I would either stop before I checked in or drive back north after. and off at Chastain Road. Its is 5 exits from windy hill but not more than 10minutes. Anyway you will have a much better selection of places to eat. If coming south after you get off turn left and you have California Dreaming (steak, seafood, pasta, sandwiches), Taco Mac (lots of good beers, burgers, nachos, sandwiches) Tin Lizzies Mexican (my favorite has great open rooftop bar and some unique tacos) , Ruths Chris steaks (pricey) World of beer which I have not been to, Then of course you have Del Taco, Mellow Mushroom, Chick-Fil-a, Panera, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Wendys, Jimmy Johns, Wing Stop, Firehouse Subs. Maybe some others I am leaving off. Hope this helps

Ok and to confuse you more. You could get off at Barrett Parkway. Its exit after Chastain (going south) If you get off and go right there is a TGI Fridays, Chillis, Raffertys Barbque, Joes Crab Shack, OutBack Steak House, Bahama Breeze, Chueys Mexican ( though I do not recommend there) Copelands and some sort of chicken place called Pollo Loco I think and of course all the fast food joints

Last edited:

Wow, thank you for all the information! Thank you all. Yes, we are wanting it a little cheaper...lol...Mickey is taking the chunk out of this vacation. :)

I actually recommend staying downtown if $ isn't an issue. Depending on the day and time driving from the aquarium to Marietta could take up to 1.5 hours depending on traffic. (Rush hour in Atlanta starts around 2:30 or 3:00 everyday.)

Being in downtown would let you enjoy more of what is around that whole part of Downtown. The aquarium, museum of Coke, Civil Right museum, and College Football Hall of Fame, Centennial Park (park created for and celebrating the 1996 olympics) and a huge ferris wheel (ride it at night) are all right next to each other. We also have a new streetcar that will take you from Centennial Park to the MLK national historic site.

As for food, let us know where you pick and we can help ya out. If it's downtown and you want some great "theming" (disney language!) visit the Varsity off of North Ave. It's the world largest drive in but you can eat inside too. Get the onion rings. There are also some good places within walking distance of the aquarium like Taps where you can pour your own craft beer at the table and pay by the ounce. Johnny Rockets is right there too.

Don't get sucked into the hype of Underground Atlanta. Total let down and waste of time.

Also, good luck on Atlanta's one-way streets. Very complicated. Get out of your car and stay out of your car.

LOL, we have a few in Detroit, one ways, that is. The Michigan left turn around is pretty fun, too. LOL. We are going to take a look at your suggestions and see what's available. Thank you!

I'd stay at the Holiday Inn Express- Atlanta NW- Galleria area. It's newly renovated (last summer), near a mall (so lots of eating options), and about 15 minutes from the aquarium. It's near the 285 & 85 intersection, so easy access to get back on the road to Disney!

What day of the week are you coming to Atlanta and do you have an estimate of what time you would be going to the aquarium and when you would be finished? Traffic here varies so much from day to day and hour to hour. For example my work is 7 miles from my house but it takes me 45 minutes to get home, however, on the weekends, 10 minutes and I can be in the office. So yes, in off peak times, you can get form the aquarium to I-75 and 285 in 15 minutes but not anywhere near that in rush hour. I think folks from here get used to traffic and will use back roads to shave off minutes. That really isn't an option for visitor from out of town. I would gladly pay $30 more a night to be able to walk back and forth from the aquarium for a break if need be as well as ditching my car while I am in Atlanta. Once you get to that part of town, you really would have enough to do and to eat for days without getting bored. Let's face it. We worry about losing precious park time by waiting on Disney transportation, I think the same philosophy applies here. You in a great city for only one day. Enjoy it. Don't bail early and miss the gorgeous skyline at night simply to save $30 on a $1000+ vacation.

We would be in Atlanta on a Friday night and have kids. I was wondering the same thing. It would be too late at night (I imagine) for us to do much other than spend the night and go to the Aquarium and be back on the road.

Do not forget to add the parking fee if staying downtown $20-$35 min per day. Also, a lot of the downtown hotels have Aquarium packages that will include tickets, parking etc.

How did you like the hotel?

The hotel itself was fine. There however were several groups of kids with ball teams there that were so loud! Made for probably the worst night sleep ever in a hotel. But the area was nice - there is a Ruby Tuesday in the parking lot and several more restaurants down the street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter