Local Disney Store told my sister that they won't be having Disney Dollars anymore...

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by 6xmum, Oct 30, 2004.

1. 6xmum

6xmum Earning My Ears

Anyone know about this? She said it was because of the buyout by Children's Place... I really wanted to get the kids some for the trip.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MAC3

MAC3 <font color=6666FF>I'll be quiet now!<br><font col

I'm not sure if it's for that reason but the last time I tried to get DD at my local DS they said they were out. I was going to try soon to get them. I think I'll call first.

4. sorcerormickey

sorcerormickey DIS Veteran

Yes, it would be because of the Children's Place buyout. You can only buy DD at actual Disney owned places, and since the Stores are in the process of transferring over to TCP, they would not have them anymore.:(

5. summerrluvv

summerrluvv <font color=darkorchid>Work Hard. Have Fun.<br><f

The Disney Store is going to be a Children's Place now? I'm confused!

6. hercamore

hercamore <font color=blue>beagle boy mom<br><font color=tea

uh, what's this abou tchldren's place?

I have $200 on my Visa points card I wanted to get DD from the Disney store with.

herc.

7. Dagny

Dagny <font color=green>Went to the original, and now kn

TDS has been sold to TCP :( I believe the actual closing date is sometime in late November. All TDS CM's will become employees of TCP. disneystore.com became disneydirect about 10 days ago in an attempt to seperate themselves from the connection to the Disney stores.

I thought I heard that they were still going to have theme park passes?? If they won't be selling DD's anymore, it truly stinks

:( :( :( :(

8. bavaria

bavaria <font color=deeppink>Makes the best of both worlds

When I transferred jobs earlier this year, I got LOTS of Disneystore gift certs as a goodbye gift. (They thought that I would be able to use them for one of my many trips.)

Well, they are essentially worthless to me, since I don't buy anything at the Disneystore, and can't use them for DD or for passes. Nothing except merchandise (and if I return the merchandise, I get store credit) Can't use them online.

So thanks but the 15 year good bye gift sits unused. I can't even find anyone here who shops at the Disneystore since the prices are out of line!!!

:(

9. bexareaglecheryl

bexareaglecheryl Mickey Makes Me Happy! Pray for a cure for Interst

I just bought $100 worth of DD a couple of days ago at the DS. They didn't say anything to me there and the drawer looked as if they had quite a bit. It would be a shame not to be able to buy your tickets at the DS. I like going there to purchase them b/c it kinds of gets you in a Disney mood.

10. summerrluvv

summerrluvv <font color=darkorchid>Work Hard. Have Fun.<br><f

Sell them on ebay.

11. MateasMom

MateasMom <font color=teal>We're Mimis junkies<br><font colo

I bought DD yesterday at the Valencia CA store. Just FYI...and they didn't mention anything about not having them in the future, but who knows.

12. jdm

jdm DIS Veteran

I was going to say the same thing, if you can't sell the vouchers (maybe your name is on them) then buy merchandise and sell that on ebay. Surely, you can use them for Christmas shopping. There's even some pretty cute adult stuff at the Disney stores. I couldn't imagine them being totally worthless to you. Still, after 15 years, too bad you didn't get something you were happy with.....

Jenn

13. bexareaglecheryl

bexareaglecheryl Mickey Makes Me Happy! Pray for a cure for Interst

Sometimes you have to look a little harder for a silver lining inside a rain cloud. Like one smart DIS'er advised: buy some sale items at the disney store or items that you think are not duplicated at large retail outlets (Target,Wal-Mart) and sell it on ebay. I have seen really great sales at the Disney Store. Soon, they'll put out the Christmas merchandise, so there lots of good out of season sale items now. Pick up some Disney Xmas ornaments to sell on ebay. You will probably come out ahead. Remember not everyone lives in a big city with larger retail outlets. In some areas of the country, there is only Wal-Mart to shop at. (not dissing Wal Mart, I shop there every week!) Maybe someone from overseas will see it and want your item. Give it a try!!!

The other thing is this, and while it's not really going to give YOU anything back that you rightly deserved as a 15 year gift (which makes me think -- who thought of this as an appropriate gift for an employment award?). Do you have neices/nephews/small children who would like Disney gifts? Buy them wonderful items from the Disney Store NOW and save them for occassions. Ask the parents what they may like or be into in the way of Disney characters. Any child would love to have a Disney gift! I know mine are 16 and 13 and they still love going to the Disney Store.

You could buy a memento for yourself at the DS, something special like a large snow globe or other expensive item that you may have not splurged on for yourself otherwise. That would be a good momento of your colleagues.

Or you could do a good turn and purchase items that your local Children's Shelter might need for Christmas. Videos/DVD there are slightly more expensive, but you're giving to a worthy cause.
    Contact your local United Way agency or church to find outreach programs for children. Children who are in those kinds of situations don't have much just for themselves. Even a small stuffed Disney character would mean a lot to them. It will give you a good feeling to know that you spent the money well. (sshh, don't tell anybody I said this but, you can take it off your income tax too if you itemize. But I didn't say that. Just stick to the good feeling part.

Keep thinking about it. If you are on the DIS, then I know you are creative, kind and thoughtful.
    Cheryl

14. DisneyMomx7

DisneyMomx7 DIS Veteran

I just bought Disney Dollars last week and they didn't say they wouldn't be having them. I told the girl I buy them every week and she was saying that was a great idea. I really hope they keep selling them since I found this a great way to save for our trip.

15. newholiday

newholiday <font color=000099>Tomorrow is ME day<br><font col

Im planning on heading there on my birthday next week and buying Disney Dollars for our Aug trip. Hopefully they still have some.

16. CarolA

CarolA <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

If you plan to go to to Disney buy Disney Dollars with them but do it NOW before the change over to Children's Place. I have bought DD with mall gift certificates so I would assume you could buy them with DS gift certificates.

17. travelbug

travelbug DIS Veteran

I just bought DD at one Disney Store yesterday and at a different Disney Store 2 weeks ago. Both seemed to have plenty on hand and didn't say anything about phasing them out. That would be a shame! :(

18. DiznEeyore

DiznEeyore <font color=navy>Donkey-Huggin' DVC Member<br><fon

The Disney Store is the only place they sell Disney Dollars, right? If they stop carrying them, then will WDW stop accepting them?

19. CarolA

CarolA <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

No they sell Disney dollars at Disney! So I doubt they will quit accepting them. It has to be a money maker for Disney. They give you a Disney dollar, you forget to spend it.... they just made a buck.

20. Terry S

Terry S <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

I work at a Disney Store and we have not been told as of yet that we would stop selling Disney Dollars. There are many questions right now and we don't have answers yet. We have been told that we will sell park passes so I don't see why we couldn't sell DD's too.

21. Blueeyes101817

Blueeyes101817 <font color=blue>Diehard <b>Cowboys</b> fan!<br><f

i know that i used mall gift certificates to buy disney dollars for my trip..i dont know if it was different since it was a mall gift certificate..but thats just what i found