Live from HHI - Spring Break

irish dancer

DIS Veteran
Well, we arrived yesterday so I'm a bit behind but I'll catch up! Here’s a little background:

Cast:
DH, Me, DD13, DS9, DD8

We made our ressies at exactly 7mos for a Mon-Fri stay in a 2br and it is our second trip to HHI.

Sunday 3/28 – Monday 3/29
We were finally packed and ready to get on the road by 4p, only an hour behind schedule so not too bad! The drive was fairly uneventful although a lot of annoying misty rain from Indy to Chattanooga. DH and I alternated driving but he did the biggest bulk of the drive. We arrived at the resort by 10a making it a 17hr drive straight through.

*Note for next time: don’t drive straight through the night. Kids were well rested from sleeping most of the way but DH and I were wiped!!

Our villa was ready when we checked in thankfully. We’re in bldg. 14, not bad but we’re on the 1st floor and our upstairs neighbors are a bit heavy footed and we are right along the boardwalk so we get the noise from that too. Room was immaculate and has a lovely view.
DSC03550.jpg
DSC03548.jpg

Unloaded the car and rooftop carrier only to discover that two of our bags were pretty wet and DD13’s and my clothes were wet (note, be sure to put duffels in plastic bags next time). Looked over the activity sheet and called about Kids and Teen Night Out, unfortunately both were full. They said it’s a very busy week, the resort is at capacity.

Decided we needed breakfast so we headed out to Flamingo Doughnuts. OMG they are way better than you can imagine. After enjoying the doughnuts we headed back to the resort, the kids were dying to get in the pool so they headed down with DH and I headed out to Piggly Wiggly for some groceries. Just picked up some snacks, beverages and a few easy meal fixins. Got back just as DH and the kids came in from the pool so we fixed sandwiches and ate out on the balcony. Next thing I know DH and the girls were zonked out so DS and I headed out to check out the resort.
DSC03573.jpg
DSC03565.jpg
DSC03566.jpg

When we got back we roused the sleeping beauties and made our way out for dinner. Went for some great BBQ at the Smokehouse (used to be Sticky Fingers BBQ). Had fresh made chips and French onion dip for a appetizer, kids had usual hot dog and chicken fingers, DD13 had brisket sandwich, DH a bar-b Cuban sandwich and I had pulled pork. All very good. Decided to make a stop at the Beach House on the way back. It was chilly and windy but the kids still waded into the water.
DSC03579.jpg
DSC03582.jpg

Headed back to our room and settled in to watch Princess & the Frog, had picked it up as a surprise for the kids. Since we were all still tired we turned in around 10p.

Hoping to make it into the HHI tour and Marsh tour Tuesday………..

Glad you are having good family time! How far is the beach from the resort?

Tuesday 3/30 – Day Two
Even though we’re on vacation I still left a wake-up call because I wanted to try and get into the HHI tour at 9:30a. I had left a message for the recreation desk checking on availability for the tour and the Marsh Walk. They did have room in the tour for two, myself and DD13 were going since DS9 and DD8 wanted to do Shadow’s Funny Bunny Hunt instead. The Marsh Walk was full but they added one for Wednesday so we got into that one.

The day started out sunny but a bit chilly and breezy. DD13 and I met our guide and the others for the tour by the rental desk. There were 8 others on the tour. The tour lasted 3hrs and circled the entire island with stops at Mitchellville Beach Park, the Coastal Discovery Museum and Harbour Town. We had a half hour at Harbour Town so DD and I went up in the lighthouse.
DSC03595.jpg
DSC03591.jpg
DSC03599.jpg

When we got back to the resort DH, DS and DD8 reported the Bunny Hunt was fun and very well attended! It had gotten nice and warm so the kids jumped in their suits and we headed out to the pool.
DSC03601.jpg
DSC03600.jpg

The kids wanted to spend more time at the beach and since we were going to the Edmunds Family Low Country Boil at the Beach House we decided to get them out of the pool to gather our stuff and head over. Getting them out of the pool was going to be a feat so DH developed a plan……..
DSC03607.jpg

We drove over to the Beach House and had a good 1.5hrs for them to play. They loved every minute of it! I thought it was chilly with the wind but they played in the water and sand without batting an eye!

The Low Country Boil was good. All you can eat Caesar salad, gumbo, rice, green beans, mixed veggie, chicken tenders, hush puppies, marinated pork, boiled shrimp, sausage, potatoes and corn on the cob, cornbread and cheese cake for dessert. They also had lemonade, sweet tea and regular tea. B’lou Crabbe entertained and they had free face painting.
DSC03617.jpg

We finished up the night with Sweet Goodnights, bedtime stories in your p.j.s with cookies and milk. It was very well attended!
DSC03618.jpg

Tomorrow is sleep in day! The kids are doing some activities, we have the Marsh Walk and the Campfire with a mini-DIS meet!

It's about 1.5 miles. The resort runs a shuttle, you can drive yourself, bike via paths or walk over.

Interesting - 1.5 miles. And renters complain about our beach house being 800 feet from the ocean in the OBX. Next time I get a complaint I'll refer them to HHI.

Tuesday 3/30 – Day Two
Even though we’re on vacation I still left a wake-up call

I'm loving these trip reports. How was the wake-up call? Last time I was there it was one of the cutest little things at HHI. Mickey with Shadow barking in the backround "Race you to the Big Dipper Pool!" I love it! I heard that a couple years ago they had an Easter brunch at the Beach House. Do they have that this year? Say "Hi" to Dottie and Gordon in the General Store for us, and we'll see them at Thanksgiving.

I'm loving these trip reports. How was the wake-up call? Last time I was there it was one of the cutest little things at HHI. Mickey with Shadow barking in the backround "Race you to the Big Dipper Pool!" I love it! I heard that a couple years ago they had an Easter brunch at the Beach House. Do they have that this year? Say "Hi" to Dottie and Gordon in the General Store for us, and we'll see them at Thanksgiving.

DH answered the phone and to be honest I don't think he listened. Will have to schedule another one!

The activity sheet for next week isn't out yet but I'll look for it again tomorrow and will post a pic.

Great report. Does the store have adult Mickey bathing suits?

Will check it out for you tomorrow. I know I saw suits but didn't look closely.

Next installment coming up as soon as the campfire pics load into photobucket..........

Wednesday 3/31 – Day Three
We set no wake-up call today and closed the curtains tight so we could sleep in today. Unfortunately our upstairs neighbors were up by 8a. It didn’t bother the kids though and they slept until after 9a! We lounged around and were having a relaxing morning until at 10a I realized that I signed up DS9 and DD8 for Messy Science at 10:30a. Boy I’ve never seen kids move so quickly! DH brought them down only to discover that we were signed-up for the 11:30a time slot – oops! They had a lot of fun with Gwynneth making slime and bouncy balls.
DSC03623.jpg
DSC03627.jpg

When that was over we headed back to the room for some gourmet frozen pizza for lunch, lol. Then we headed back out for the Un-birthday Party at 1p.
DSC03630.jpg

DH, DD13 and I played ping pong and foosball while we waited.
DSC03631.jpg

It is another beautiful day and according to the thermometer in the covered area by the pool it was nearly 80 degrees! Loving it!!

The kids were begging to go swimming so they got in their suits quickly and we went back down by the pool. It was around 2p and we could only find one open chair. The pool didn’t look that crowded but all the chairs had towels and belongings. We were booked into the 3:30p Marsh Tour so we dragged the kids out of the pool around 3p.

We met Gwynneth for the Marsh Tour by the Rental Desk, there were around 12 others on the tour and lots of them were kids. We headed out into the marsh and found a Fiddler Crab pretty quickly. DS9 took a turn holding it and said it tickled.
DSC03637.jpg
DSC03639.jpg

We also found snails, pickle weed, oysters and lots of mud!! DD13 was suffering a lot from allergies but I think overall everyone had a good time.

Tonight we grilled for dinner. Burgers and hot dogs, picked up utensils from the front desk, and it was yummy! Had salads and chips to go with it.

DH headed down to the fire pit around 7p to check it out and get seats with DD8. DS9, DD13 and I headed down closer to 7:30p. We were greeted by an ecstatic DD8, two years ago when we were here both girls became friends with two sisters from South Carolina and they are here right now! What are the odds!! We also met with fellow DISers nzdisneymom and DeeCee735.

The campfire was an absolute blast and very well attended. The CMs Rich, Kate and Kristine did an amazing job. Rich had enough energy for the whole crowd, he was quite funny. After singing a bunch of songs we lined up along the boardwalk for s’mores. They were yummy! Just a few pics:
DSC03644.jpg
DSC03647.jpg
DSC03650.jpg
DSC03655.jpg

A great end to a great day!

Tomorrow is more beach time, Harbour Town, Tie Dye and the Salty Dog.

It is always great to meet fellow DISers and you are right... Campfire was fun tonight. I am just glad they didn't do the button factory song.

We were in 15 last year. This year we are in 27 right by the rec area.

Wow-a Hilton Head evening with no jackets! Those don't exist when we go. When we're there, we've rarely done the campfire because it's too cold. Yes, PLEASE post the activity schedule for next week-I'd love to see it to get an idea of what they have. And what's this about grilling utensils from the front desk? Will they lend them to you or do you have to pay a deposit or buy them??
And about the Mickey bathing suits, I know that when we were there they had them, I remember because I admired them.

Really enjoying your report!! Haven't been to HH since 1999, we ahve a 2 bedroom booked for 1 st week of June. Your report and photos have us really excited!!!

Love hearing about the activities I will have 4 teens, a preschooler, and a toddler with me.

We check in on Sat. so it was fun to see your report.

For the person asking about the Easter Brunch there is one for sure. We have reservations already. They sent a newsletter to us about a month or so ago letting us know about it. Also the person who called to confirm my reservation for the brunch today told me that the resorts Easter egg hunt will be at 9am. :)

Wow-a Hilton Head evening with no jackets! Those don't exist when we go. When we're there, we've rarely done the campfire because it's too cold. Yes, PLEASE post the activity schedule for next week-I'd love to see it to get an idea of what they have. And what's this about grilling utensils from the front desk? Will they lend them to you or do you have to pay a deposit or buy them??And about the Mickey bathing suits, I know that when we were there they had them, I remember because I admired them.

I just went to the front desk and asked, they gave me a flipper, tongs and a brush that all looked brand new. No depoist, didn't even ask my room number just told me to bring them back when we were finished. It was great!

:wizard:Your Trip Report is Magical!!!

You have a beautiful family:goodvibes

Thank you very much!

Well, I know I slacked off but the our last day there was busy and then we spent the Easter weekend with family in Charlotte so no internet there! Will put up our last day and final thoughts later tonight.

Thanks all for following along.......

We were there from Sunday March 28th until Friday April 2nd. We were on the boardwalk in 1521. We probably ran in to each other. We also had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter