1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Little mermaid ride catches fire

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by rteetz, Feb 13, 2014.

1. rteetz

rteetz DIS Veteran

Tonight in the magic kingdom at the end of Wishes sparks from the fireworks flew and the roof of the voyage of the little mermaid caught on fire. No injuries were reported and fire officials put out the fire with a fire extinguisher. Witnesses said that they saw the fire get to the rock work but thats as not confirmed by disney officials. The ride was shut down for a short period of time but has since reopened and is operating as normal.

Here is video of the fire.
    http://youtu.be/ZhTmBpZtExk?a

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. rteetz

rteetz DIS Veteran

4. OnSpaceshipEarth

OnSpaceshipEarth DIS Veteran

5. GatorGirlBelle

GatorGirlBelle Earning My Ears

Thank goodness no one was injured!

6. OnSpaceshipEarth

OnSpaceshipEarth DIS Veteran

I hope that the trajectory of the sparks from the fireworks won't be a constant issue...especially with the nearby Seven Dwarves Mine Train.:scared:

7. Chuckers

Chuckers Missing my day trips to Disneyland :(

If they used actual water in the Voyage ride, it wouldn't be a problem. :) It also might make the "Kiss The Girl" scene look better.

8. rock_doctor

rock_doctor DIS Veteran

We go for two weeks and watch the wishes fireworks from our room (i.e. high elevation in comparison). You would be shocked how many times the embers fall to the ground and at least one each week goes off below the tree line. I am surprised there are not weekly fires caused by the fireworks.

9. old lady

old lady DIS Veteran

It is good no one got hurt. I am more worried about if something catch on fire during the Fantamsic show during the show and after.

10. disslot

disslot Earning My Ears DVC Gold

Well are the new areas of FL in zones that used to be hit by the fireworks before the expansion was built? Doesn't seem to be. Was there wind that night?

11. Courage12

Courage12 Earning My Ears

Wow! I've never heard of anything like this happening at Disney but it always happens at our local 4th of July fireworks (oops!):eek: Glad no one was hurt!:)

12. Networth

Networth It all started with a mouse or something like that

Fire would spark on a ride themed to living underwater :rotfl2:

13. Tonka's Skipper

Tonka's Skipper DIS Veteran

Just for the record, we are talking about a very small grass fire on the roof, which was put out with less then 1 fire extinguisher load and the ride reopened in a matter of a few minutes.

It is not often that a ember falls to the ground, but this happen when fireworks are used at WDW and other parks and events.

AKK

14. rteetz

rteetz DIS Veteran

correct there were pictures of a small grass spot that was burned on the top of the roof.

15. JoWiJo

JoWiJo Longing to go back

I'll leave it up to the Disney vets to correct/confirm this, but I think that the New Fantasyland area is where the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride was. Of course, most embers would have fallen on water.

16. Reddog1134

Reddog1134 DIS Veteran

I think the Mine Train is where a bulk of the lagoon was. The Mermaid show building is where the 2KL show building was.