Lions and Tigers and CGI Bears, Oh My! June '16 - COMPLETED 6/4, page 22

I don't think she did, to be honest. And she probably needed the nap more than anyone!

Sore subject :)

The 2013 TR was planned, and I had all the photos necessary to do it, but I procrastinated to the point that I couldn't really remember much of what we did on that trip. Rather than fumble through it, I just scrapped it altogether.

However...

The 2013 TR may be happening next year. Signs are pointing to it being started and completed, in lieu of a 2017 trip for me. So how will I get around the lack of detailed notes? Well, I have a plan for that. I'll reveal that at the end of this TR. Stay tuned!

To anyone wondering what happened to the 2016 update, things have been crazy busy, and that might continue for the next two weeks. I MIGHT get an update out tonight, but our laptop took a dive last night and I'll be spending some time tonight getting it back to normal. There will absolutely be an update this weekend.

Thanks for sticking around!
Count me in for 2013 if you get it going!

Sorry no 2017 trip (though who knows what could happen????), but thumbs up for the 2013 TR!

I'm still reading. Just lurking as usual. Love your trip report! We must do Expedition Everest at night after hearing about it here - and I may just do Dinosaur again after hearing a positive review. We forget it's there. We rode the Indiana Jones ride in DL this spring (amazing!) and it has similar ride vehicles.

I've wondered - has your family been to Disneyland? I expect you'd love it, although you'd have no need for the fun new purple magic band there.

Of course, I also want to go to Minnesota, so I don't know how I'd fit that in. Long weekend with just 3 Epcot days?

You must make some trip to WDW next year. Don't break your streak! I live in MN & it's not that exciting. Even though the Vikings are awesome you must make sure you get to Disney too!

The 2013 TR may be happening next year. Signs are pointing to it being started and completed, in lieu of a 2017 trip for me. So how will I get around the lack of detailed notes? Well, I have a plan for that. I'll reveal that at the end of this TR. Stay tuned!

To anyone wondering what happened to the 2016 update, things have been crazy busy, and that might continue for the next two weeks.

Yay about a throwback trip report possibility!

I understand what it's like to fall behind. I just posted on a trip report on Aulani/Hawaii that I let sit since January! So I can be patient with others' minor delays.

Thanks for taking the time to write!

I log in tonight and the link to my TR has almost been pushed to page 3. Page 3! Man, I've been slacking! Updates coming tonight, but first, let's answer some viewer mail:

Sorry to hear about your laptop. Hope you can get it back in good working order soon.

The laptop is MOSTLY good. Some issues remain. But man, was it an adventure. A full restore of Windows 7 and then four full days of downloading windows updates type of adventure.

You are going to try to write a 2013 trip report? Awesome!
We got back from this year's trip less than 2 weeks ago and I've already forgotten so many details!
Count me in for 2013 if you get it going!
Sorry no 2017 trip (though who knows what could happen????), but thumbs up for the 2013 TR!

Details MIGHT be a bit sketchy. But I'll try :)

I'm still reading. Just lurking as usual. Love your trip report! We must do Expedition Everest at night after hearing about it here - and I may just do Dinosaur again after hearing a positive review. We forget it's there. We rode the Indiana Jones ride in DL this spring (amazing!) and it has similar ride vehicles.

I've wondered - has your family been to Disneyland? I expect you'd love it, although you'd have no need for the fun new purple magic band there.

We have not! But I'd love to. My brother and his family live in Southern California, so we'll definitely get there at some point.

You must make some trip to WDW next year. Don't break your streak!

I'll see what I can do :)

I live in MN & it's not that exciting. Even though the Vikings are awesome you must make sure you get to Disney too!

I want both!

Thanks for taking the time to write!

You're welcome! I love doing it. Now, here's more!

Day 8 - Monday, Epcot

Itinerary:

• Sleep in
  • Epcot from mid-afternoon to close
FastPass+
  • Journey into Imagination: 3:05-4:05
  • Spaceship Earth: 4:05-5:05
  • Soarin': 7:40
ADR:
  • Trattoria al Forno: 6:00

The second Monday of our trip is a "sleep in day", which means I'm up two hours before everyone else. But I do get to sleep until 8:00. The rest of the family is up around 10:00, and our first order of business is...

After I booked our FPs back in April, Kristin asked that I change every one of our Epcot FPs, except for our first Epcot day, to after 3:00 pm. Ok. There's not much we want FPs for in that park anyway, so that works for me! In the meantime...ducks in the pool!

Pyramid pic...

...and now, a slide pic:

Wait, someone's coming:

She's in!

Now here comes Dad!

And Mom!

And Dylan!

No, that's the pyramid again. Let's try that again.

And Dylan!

No, that's...that thing. Come to think of it, I'm not sure Dylan was even with us. He might still be in bed. We're in the pool, though, and we're not leaving:

Alright, can we leave yet?

I know, I know. We said we'd swim until after mid-afternoon, then go to Epcot. But I can only sit at a pool (or on a beach, for that matter) for so long before I get bored. And we've already been here over an hour.

Kristin and Emily, on the other hand, can sit at a pool for a long time. And that's what they want to do. So we come up with a plan. They stay at the pool, while I go to this place:

And to that place I went! I went back to the room, got changed, asked Dylan if he wanted to go with me, then headed off to the bust stop by myself. Epcot! Solo! Should be fun.

I took the camera camera, while Kristin and Emily kept possession of the phone camera:

I left the pool around 11:30, and got to Epcot by 12:30. From the looks of it, a lot of other people stayed back at pools instead of going to Epcot today, too:

While Emily, back at Coronado Springs, played with sand on a volleyball court...

...I did this:

Well, I photographed that. But my real destination is World Showcase. Nowhere specific in World Showcase, however. Just somewhere in World Showcase.

Then, Kristin photographed this:

Like I said, it ALWAYS comes back to gymnastics.

Epcot is beautiful today! And empty!

Nonsense is happening here later:

I guess it's some sort of musical comedy stunt act or something. At least it's not Celtic music. Not a fan. I know I'm in the minority.

More photos!

I never had lunch, but I plan on using the snack-as-I-go plan, starting with an iced tea and some sushi:

Love the sushi here! And I'm really pick when it comes to sushi. I got another order right after. Now I'm good for a while, as far as food goes.

Back at the pool...

Did I mention that Epcot was empty?

This was mid-June, mind you. Don't believe the hype!

Meanwhile, Kristin was experimenting with different photo sizes:

And where am I during all of this? Funny you should ask. I'm still at Epcot. Here's proof:

Before I continue on with the story of my day alone at Epcot, let me give you a quick rundown of what you will and will not see in this update:

You will NOT see...
  • Complaints of "it's so hottttttttttt!"
  • People not wanting to spend over an hour in the Mission: Space dump area
  • Sibling-on-sibling violence
You WILL see...
  • Beer
  • Nonsense
  • Middle-aged men stomping children at interactive games

So let's do this! Epcot solo!

Of course, the first thing ANY man would - and should - do on a solo visit to Epcot is check the wait time on Anna and Elsa, now that it's officially past the opening date:

Wow, still ten minutes! No one knows!

Even more shocking was that the next thing I did was NOT get a beer, but rather...photograph iced tea from China?

Now that I think of it, I took that picture because I found it hard to believe that was the official Chinese iced tea of the NBA. But I guess it is. Learn something new every day.

Another thing I learned today is when you are a collector of solar bobbleheads and have purchased exactly one each trip since you started going to WDW, you stick with the ones in the Japan store and do NOT buy one from the China store, even if it IS a monkey on the moon. Yes, I'm serious. Resist the monkey on the moon. Because they stop working the moment you get them home. Terrible. Just terrible.

But look how cute! How couldn't I?

Honestly, though. Don't do it.

I can't speak for the candy either way:

The Hello Ripoff Panda stuff looks like the cookie things we get in, you guessed it, Japan. Probably better there, too. RESIST THE URGE.

I like the packaging on the pyro cat stuff, though. And this store in general:

Just not the bobbleheads. DO NOT DO IT.

Some photos outside...

...and then it's time for a beer!

The server was so cool she offered to take a photo of the tap from her side:

That ALMOST got put in as the day header image. Almost.

Instead, I used, "Boat! Boat!" As these two said it, at least:

I LOVED these guys. Not just because they're Vikings, but because they were hysterical. I didn't take any more photos, because I was recording video of it. Here are the highlights anyway:

• Yelling, "Boat! Boat! When the Friendship Cruise or whatever it's called drove by, trying to flag it down
  • Playing "ring toss on the helmet horn" with two college-aged women, with hilarious results
  • Challenging another man to a "flex off", with hilarious results
  • Various other tomfoolery, with the expected results

As I enjoyed the show, I thought about how much Kristin and the kids were missing, and how THIS was one of the reasons I love Epcot so much. Random, entertaining crap always gets me.

As I said before, Epcot is very photogenic:

Simultaneously, Kristin reminds us of the same thing about Coronado:

Travelers have long ventured into the sea, but the true final frontier is above us:

But first, I'm ridin' Test Track, single rider. With no photos. Just ridin'.

And it was great! More fun with the family, though. Still...Test Track!

Now, back to the final frontier. Have you heard it's above us? Or, in this case, in front of us?

But that's not today. I'm not flying to Mars. Green team wait is 10 minutes...but Orange Team is 110 minutes. Seriously?

Oh well. I have a different mission, anyway:

Mission: Space Race - the game I've seen for ten years, but never once played, until today. You've probably played it. Or at least seen it. And if not, that's too bad, because I didn't take any more pictures of it. Except for the "8" for the day header. That was essential.

Anyway, the game involves two teams ("Team Triton" and...well, I forget) of 4 to 12 or so players trying to maneuver blocks on a video screen into a spaceship. Four on each team get to move the blocks to their spots (and stand up front!), while the others stand at individual stations on the floor behind them, solving puzzles to send different color blocks to their teammates up front.

I started on the floor, mostly because I wanted that "8" photo. The game is really fun - you have to turn and flip pieces on the screen until they solve some sort of puzzle, then you can send the colors the others are looking for. I got pretty good at it, too.

After a while, I decided to take a shot at the front. I got teamed up with a little kid and two teenagers, and did pretty poorly. Of course, I didn't realize at first you could only move blocks that correspond with the color of your joystick. After that game, I figured it out, and it was ON.

I got quite a few games on both sides, and had it down. I was on a win streak. Not a lot of other people were lining up to play, so why not?

You got to interact with a wide range of people, too. One of my teammates was a man about my age, who shouted at the people on the floor to send us the appropriate colored blocks. In a different game, one was a middle-aged man who didn't appear to speak English, and had no clue what he was doing. His son wasn't much better. A little kid and I were, though, and we carried us the best we could. But we fell short.

In another game, my teammates were a couple and their kids. I could tell almost instantly that the mom was the kind of person who doesn't like to lose. She almost shoved the kids aside to make sure we won. Which I was cool with, since I was all about winning. We fell short, though, again.

Then, I got into the groove. I couldn't lose. And it was fun.

The best game, however, and my final one, was with a boy who wasn't very good, a teenage girl who was, and her mother, who was ok. I was on the far left, and the girl was to my right. Before the game started, I could tell she was all business, so I said, "just to warn you, I take this game way too seriously."

She replied, "so do I."

...and it was ON. We absolutely CRUSHED our opponents, and the girl said, "we won!"

"You two won," the mom laughed. The girl turned to me with a "Team Triton!", we fist-bumped, and we all went out champions...

...about two hours after I started playing. Yep. Two hours. I saw multiple shift switches. But it was a blast.

And THAT's something you can't usually do with the rest of the family.

Though Dylan would have loved it. Learn you lesson, kid: Dad = fun

Something the family could do without me was take this photo:

And this one:

Lunch at Pepper Market is possible, too:

Enchiladas with Salsa Verde. Emily got Chicken Pasta Something:

And this:

I don't know where Dylan was through all of this. Probably in the room reading or playing video games. Yes, he's really been reading.

This guy was back at Coronado, too:

Before we continue our story, I'd like to pause for a little game I like to call "Epcot or Coronado". I will post a series of pictures that were taken around the same time, and you get to guess if they were taken at Epcot or Coronado.

Take your time...these are intentionally tough!

IMG_5379_zpshfcvp3he.jpg

Do you think you got them all? If you think the first and fourth were taken at Epcot and the rest at Coronado, you are almost right...but I threw in a photo to trick you. Yes, if you look closely, you can plainly see that photo #2 was taken at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Thanks for playing!

Back to our story.

Since sushi doesn't usually leave me feeling stuffed, it's time for snack #2:

Curry Chicken Pocket from the kiosk outside China. Delicious! And one snack credit! I love Epcot!

I stopped to watch the acrobats, then called Kristin and inform her that the room's safe key was still in my wallet. So basically, no jewelry for her tonight. Sorry! My bad :(

Feeling ride-y, I watch over to the Land to check out the wait for Soarin, since I don't have one of them new-fangled tellyphony things with the interwhozit or whatever.

55 minutes. Nope.

Back to World Showcase now, where I stop in Canada for a Unibroue something:

I think it was the La Fin du Monde. Big fan. Great beer. Especially in the heat.

Eventually, I need to walk over to the Boardwalk to meet Kristin and the kids for dinner, but there's still a little bit more time. After all, they just stopped limboing at the pool not long ago. So why not check out this nonsense?

Yeah, I can tell I'm going to like this already.

The group is (was - they're out of Epcot now, sadly) Les Parfaits Innocuous, which means "Les Parfaits Innocuous" in French, as well as in Someofcanadian. They were a musical comedy acrobatic...well, something, and they were hilarious. And talented.

Awesome show! They were a lot of fun. The DIS posted a video a little while back of one of their performances, and it was that exact show. The one I was at. I was *this close* to being famous. And that wouldn't be the last time this trip.

As I watched the show, I noticed my throat was starting to get a little scratchy. Not enough water? No way. I drink A LOT of water. Like, too much.

Getting sick?

Man, I hope not. Let's not even think about that.

I check the time, and it's almost time to meet the rest of the family. I text Kristin (yes, I CAN do that on my flip phone), and she tells me they're at the Boardwalk now. Alright, here I come!

(Up next, dinner at Trattoria al Forno and another night in Epcot!)

Last edited:
I love this! This sounds like so much fun.....just taking your time in Epcot...playing a game for 2 hrs, and then going to get some quick snacks. Oh Disney how I miss you, and it's not even been 5 months yet! Thanks for all these pics!

Yea, solo-time at Epcot...... Sounds like a dream of a time! Sometimes it's best to divide and conquer so that everyone is happy. Those Vikings sounded hilarious too :) Good stuff!

Anyway, the game involves two teams ("Team Triton" and...well, I forget)

Can't do Mission Space but I LOVE.....LOVE.....LOVE playing this game. I go straight in the game area while husband rides the ride. It is a MUST do every trip for me.

I hit those darn controls like my life depends on it.

I hear ya when it comes to getting bored at the pool/beach.
Steve & I are tossing around the idea of going back to Destin, FL for a week next June. He could sit on the beach all day but I get antsy and want to go do things .... you can only walk up and down the beach so much! I'm researching other things I can do while we are there.
And when we have our pool day at Disney I always go off by myself to explore other resorts or parks. Kind of like you did at Epcot...which looked awesome! Yeah, where was everyone??

Do you think you got them all? If you think the first and fourth were taken at Epcot and the rest at Coronado, you are almost right...but I threw in a photo to trick you. Yes, if you look closely, you can plainly see that photo #2 was taken at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Alright, yeah, I went back and looked. Smart@$$. :P

Getting sick?? I hope not!

Nice solo Epcot time! And nice pool time for the girls!

In 2012, you just finished up at the Boardwalk and in this TR, you are just about there. Too funny!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter