Lions and Tigers and CGI Bears, Oh My! June '16 - COMPLETED 6/4, page 22

Fun reading your updates 'live' as you posted today. Sounds like a fun day for everyone. DH and I enjoy HS and I'm sure he'll really enjoy it more as more SW is added. We won't be back for a few years, but we are both looking forward to the new land at DL.

It seems that your family is growing into a more relaxed vacation style -who would have imagined scrapping plans to sleep in. I think that is great!

Looking forward to the next update. Reading your reports make me want to plan our next trip.

Really enjoying your update today! I have to say I'm with Kristin...there's too much Star Wars, not enough Disney. I have nothing against the originals but this new stuff is crossing the line. Oh well, more stuff to swallow up crowds while I scream my head off on TOT for the first time in like 10 years with my son this year. (I'm hoping he'll chicken out)

As we got ready, Dylan reminded me that our most favoritest TV show in the whole entire world, Big Brother, was starting during our trip. Alright, onto DirecTV's site, and the DVR is set! Both receivers!
I can't tell you how many times I'm out or at work or something and remember I have to put a show to record. So easy to just log on to the DirecTV website and be able to do that.

I got the Azteca Burger (which was listed as "Azteca", but all of the CMs referred to as "Aztec", for some reason) and chocolate cake.

Breaded/fried jalapeno slices?! Yes, please.

Emily's not a fan of this ride AT ALL
I'm Team Emily this time. I'm deathly afraid of ToT. Rode it once and my whole body was shaking for an entire half-hour. Safe to say, I do not enjoy the drops.

We talked to the CM about it, and she said she really wishes Disney would market the Villains more, in shops and with character meet and greets. We agree!
::yes:: The villains are some of the most interesting characters. It's a shame they don't get much attention outside of Halloween season.

Freddy's glove!

As someone who grew up in the 80's... :scared: ::shudder::

There was also asparagus on that plate, which I didn't know at first, but found out later in the night. The asparagus enthusiasts among you know the deal.
:laughing:

The word on the street is that you can trade them ANYTHING. Well, just about anything. I'm sure there are some limits. But there certainly does not have to be any real value to what you're trading.

I told Kristin to grab some tea bags from the Pepper Market at lunch today, and that they will be our bargaining chips. Dylan's not sold on the idea of offering up tea bags we stole from the restaurant, but after I point out the other kids carrying plastic forks and spooks for trading, he's ready to haggle.

He pitches the product as "some of the finest tea from the Milky Way galaxy", but the Jawa isn't interested. Oh well...we tried.

But wait - he IS interested! After briefly walking away, he returns and takes the tea. In return, he gives Dylan the head of a small droid action figure. Score!

Ok, so it's not really a "score". It's just a little piece of plastic. But trading was fun.
This is great!

You can see the DHS fireworks perfectly from this resort. You can also see Illuminations, if you're over by the Casitas quiet pool. Love Coronado!
What a bonus!

you all were really getting great use of the FP and able to book new ones right away which is great. I've done Big Thunder at night and it is great, though not during Wishes which seems like it would be great

that is crazy about the helicope and then realizing why it was there and everything - must have been freaky to be there during that time! Wow, and then that evacuation as well! Definite added stress levels

Glad you made it in time for your ToT FP. That's cool about the posters for RNRC - hadn't seen that one before

"No, no Misser Superman not home"

Looks like a fun time exploring the shops

oh, they might not have wanted you to photograph the Jedi Training because kids are in it and they tend not to want people to take pictures of other peoples kids

oh, and Walt's desk was taken to the museum out (in Burbank I believe - definitely in California) where they recreated the entire office

We are eating for the first time at Sci-Fi (well, the first time in forever for me as I went as a kid but for the rest of the family first time period) so good to know about the now mandatory 6 hour cool down period. How thoughtful of Disney

Your food looks good - I've heard the shakes and burgers are good, but good to know about the steak as well

Sounds like fun with the Jawas .. I heard the prefer shiny things so hoping to remember to bring along some shiny junk, er space treasure, for our interaction with them

I will disagree with your view of the "pointless" dinosaur as Gertie is important to the history of animation ... but I will agree with you about the "!" in "Famtasmci!" - though for some reason I feel really compelled to include it whenever I type out "Fantasmic!" so I guess whatever they are trying for is working, so points to you Disney.

That great how you could see the fireworks so well from Coronado

Great updates! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a teenage boy who hides from the camera. What is wrong with them, anyway? Did you ever find out why El Centro was evacuated? Not looking for spoilers...I saw it online that day but I didn't hear why. Curiousity.

It seems that your family is growing into a more relaxed vacation style -who would have imagined scrapping plans to sleep in. I think that is great!

11 trips and 12 days per trip for most of them makes that much easier to do :) It does help stretch out the trip, though.

Really enjoying your update today! I have to say I'm with Kristin...there's too much Star Wars, not enough Disney. I have nothing against the originals but this new stuff is crossing the line. Oh well, more stuff to swallow up crowds while I scream my head off on TOT for the first time in like 10 years with my son this year. (I'm hoping he'll chicken out)

There can never be too much Star Wars! I do hope they keep other things, too. And bring back the animator classes!

I'm Team Emily this time. I'm deathly afraid of ToT. Rode it once and my whole body was shaking for an entire half-hour. Safe to say, I do not enjoy the drops.

I don't know if she'll ever ride it! I like that she's old enough to leave by the wayside while we ride, though :)

::yes:: The villains are some of the most interesting characters. It's a shame they don't get much attention outside of Halloween season.

I REALLY need to get to WDW for Halloween!

As someone who grew up in the 80's... :scared: ::shudder::

I barely remember Scary Freddy anymore...he was replaces with Ridiculous One-Liner-Hurling Freddy in the mid-nineties, and it's just not the same. That first movie was terrifying though. And Jack Sparrow gets it bad. Really bad.

you all were really getting great use of the FP and able to book new ones right away which is great. I've done Big Thunder at night and it is great, though not during Wishes which seems like it would be great

We're getting really good at FP+! We were good at FP-, too, but that required more running :)

"No, no Misser Superman not home"

That line shows up on Day 12.

oh, they might not have wanted you to photograph the Jedi Training because kids are in it and they tend not to want people to take pictures of other peoples kids

I think it was more to keep that area clear. And probably also secure.

oh, and Walt's desk was taken to the museum out (in Burbank I believe - definitely in California) where they recreated the entire office

Thanks for the info! I'd love to see that museum!

We are eating for the first time at Sci-Fi (well, the first time in forever for me as I went as a kid but for the rest of the family first time period) so good to know about the now mandatory 6 hour cool down period. How thoughtful of Disney

Have a snack before you check in. It's all worth it once you're finally seated, though!

Your food looks good - I've heard the shakes and burgers are good, but good to know about the steak as well

The ribs are good, too.

I will disagree with your view of the "pointless" dinosaur as Gertie is important to the history of animation.

I thought about Gertie after I posted. I like that she's there, too, and has significance. Not pointless. Thanks for pointing that out!

That great how you could see the fireworks so well from Coronado[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahaha!!!! Omg that really had me cracking up! :rotfl:

I didn't even realize it until Dylan told me.

Great updates! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a teenage boy who hides from the camera. What is wrong with them, anyway? Did you ever find out why El Centro was evacuated? Not looking for spoilers...I saw it online that day but I didn't hear why. Curiousity.

Emily pointed out that omission as well! It will be in tonight's update. Right now!

Day 4 - Thursday - Epcot

Itinerary:

• Ride Soarin' standby at Rope Drop
  • Return to Coronado after lunch
  • Back to Epcot before dinner
  • Watch Illuminations

FastPass+

• Test Track: 10:05-11:05
  • Spaceship Earth: 11:30-12:30
  • Journey into Imagination: 12:30-1:30

ADR:

• Rose and Crown Pub: 6:00 pm

If you looked at the photos at the beginning of this update and then read the itinerary, you're probably a bit confused. That's ok. We'll explain ourselves very soon.

Baymax woke me at 5:30, and I'm starting to wonder if he's the only one they have doing that job. He and Darth Maul really need to organize.

Epcot has Extra Magic Hours this morning from 8-9 (so, technically, Extra Magic "Hour"), and this sounds like the perfect opportunity to catch the California version of Soarin' on its very last day.

We COULD have gotten FastPasses for this, but I really wanted at least one day with a Test Track Fastpass. The three other Epcot days had us riding new Soarin', new Soarin', and Frozen Ever After with our tier 1 FPs, so Rope Drop was our best hope for riding this today without a ridiculous wait.

I learned on Day 2 that I overestimated the time it would take to get through security, but still, we want to get there reasonably early. While we're getting ready, Kristin tells me she would like to switch our ADRs from Rose and Crown to Teppan Edo. Rose and Crown, you see, doesn't have hibachi grills at each table, in spite of what this Trip Report might imply. I love TE as well, so I'm in.

MDE is still a bit off today, but I'm eventually able to make the ADR for Teppan Edo, then drop the one for Rose and Crown. Of course, AFTER I already booked the ADR for TE, we both remembered that there's a fee for same-day cancellations. I think it's $10 a person, so that's a $40 hit we'll take for cancelling our existing ADRs.

Ugh. Kristin decides to call Dining (she prefers the phone to the computer), but they say they can't get the fee waived. Shoot. Oh, well. Kristin's not giving up. She'll try again at the park.

While I'm online, I take a look at the DISboards to see if anyone replied about yesterday's El Centro evacuation.

Nothing.

I guess it really wasn't a big deal, since we never heard another word about it. Anti-climactic, really. But I like it that way.

We were out the door at 7:15, and at Epcot shortly after. The bus rides to 3 of the 4 parks were really quick this year, and even trips to MK didn't seem that long.

Since we're here early, we might as well get some photos in front of the ball:

We're close to the rope! Not a lot of people here yet, either.

I guess that's how we came to be close to the rope. A fountain shot as we wait:

Crowds are showing up now. Almost time to go in.

While we waited, I listened to the family behind us figuring out how to get to Soarin'. They're looking at a map. I wanted to tell them to just follow the masses, but figured they'll see that's the case soon enough.

A few minutes later, I was talking to Kristin, and the mom asked, "are you going back to Soarin'?" I responded, "everybody here is!"

And we did. The rope was released, and it was straight back to the Land. 30-minute standby. Nice!

We never rode this at Rope Drop before, to the best of my recollection. I used to come back here at RD and grab FPs for later in the day, but since the dawn of FP+, that hasn't been possible. Or necessary.

We got to the ride, we waited for row B-1, and we watched our flight director Patrick for perhaps the last time. Dylan overhears a guy near us tell his sister that Patrick is the voice of Joe Swanson from "Family Guy", which I somehow didn't realize until now, either. I did know he was the Tick and Puddy from "Seinfeld", so while Dylan would say, "it's Joe!" every time he came on screen, I would reply with, "the Devilsssssss!" Both great characters. He's a hilarious actor.

Anyway, we rode, and it was great. We're going to miss this one. Our only criticism of it, the film quality, was addressed by theater upgrades (finally!), and now, it's going away. Oh well. I'm sure we'll love the new one, too!

The wait has increased significantly since we entered the queue, BTW:

After Soarin', the weather got REALLY nasty:

Nah, silly! That's Living with the Land. As are the next several photos. We decided to complete the circuit and ride this one next.

We then crossed the finish line by watching Circle of Life. No photos from that, though.

Shellie Mae loved the film. Especially the bears part. Duffy loved that part, too.

Kristin also took a picture of the sink top in the restroom, because she really liked it. Ok.

After doing just about all the Land has to offer, we passed on lunch at Sunshine Seasons. Why? Because (1) we had plans to eat lunch in France and (1) it was only about 9:00 am at this point.

We left the land and hung a right:

We have FPs for this at 12:30, but there's no wait right now, so we ride consult Consuela. We tell her about our FPs, but she tells us, "no.. you ride anyway", so we're in!
Thanks for the advice!

Figment is Figment, and after the ride, we play a little in the outdated and underutilized Imagination Institute, or whatever they call this place.

Shellie Mae, too.

Afterwards, Kristin gets a photo of the kids outside, which started with an argument with Dylan about how many pictures we were taking:

He can smile on demand, though, which is nice.

Moving on!

I love me some Monorails in Epcot photos, and we were able to get one before leaving the last area!

Then, Kristin got a fountain pic:

So everyone is happy.

I get a photo of Club Cool, but we're not going in there just yet.

We can get on Test Track with out FPs before too long, but decide to check out the line for Mission: Space first. Kristin and Emily are OUT of this one, but they'll just make video postcards until we're done riding.

Standby says something like 20 minutes, but once in line, it becomes obvious it's going to take a lot longer than 20 minutes. Eventually, I give in to Dylan's demand to leave the line. We meet the girls, and over to Test Track we go. We'll try again later in the trip.

Monorail (track) and Epcot shot first!

Our plan is to ride Test Track once, together, using FastPasses, then use the single rider line the rest of the trip. If you don't create a new car in the single rider queue (the process being VERY limited there), your MB will still link to your original car. So let's get down to business!

Blurry photos, but you know what's going on. Here are the finished products:

Who made that? Oh.

Here's the one Dylan and I made:

None of us are big fans of efficiency during this process, as you can see.

There's a bit of controversy because Kristin scans her band first for the dual Kristin/Emily car design, which means Emily can't scan it onto hers. We think. Whatever. Let's ride!

Before we board, Kristin moves the Figmnet FPs up to "almost immediately", and the Spaceship Earth ones to 1:15, so they will expire earlier and we can take a shot at another tier 1 before the day is out. We have no intention of riding Figment again, but with the earlier FP, it will expire earlier as well.

No photos of the actual ride this time. I still miss the old one. I like the car design thing, but I really miss the Beligian blocks, the old movie, and environmental test number seven.

Seven?

Yeah. Seven.

Dylan's and my (mostly Dylan's) design took the overall score lead for our family, and it's ranked pretty high for the day. He has a science to it. Well, more of a math to it.

Ride over, I quickly look at antenna toppers, but don't see any I absolutely love. Either way, I'll be checking again at World of Disney later in the week.

Outside again for a shot of the outside of the attraction:

And two more of the monorail track:

I just love Epcot. Don't you? You can get the best photos here.

One more of Test Track...

...and it's off to World Showcase!

Our destination is Les Halles Boulangerie-Patisserie in the France pavilion, one of our favorite quick service restaurants in WDW. It IS Kristin's. We get some more photos along the way:

Hey, look - Rose and Crown!

I guess I DID get a photo of it. Probably for the day header in this Trip Report. But too late for that. Hey, it's Mary Poppins!

We saw her coming out from beyond the Agent P stand, then got behind a group that joined up with her on the way. She led the lot of us back behind the UK pavilion, where about 3-4 other groups of guests stood waiting. I guess they were waiting for Mary. We ended up in line in front of them, however, so I guess luck does beat preparation at times. And perhaps line jumping.

The girl in line before us has a parasol she's getting signed, which is a neat idea. Emily, of course, has the hat:

Mary's fantastic, as always. She tells Emily her favorite game for kids to play is "tidy up the nursery". She asks Emily what we call that game at home. Em doesn't know, so Mary asks Kristin. "Clean-up time", she replies.

More photos...

...and we're out. As we're leaving, Emily looks at Kristin and asks, "Clean-up time??"

We continue to laugh about that as we resume the walk to France, when Dylan adds, "I wanted to say, in our house it's called 'get the BEEP up here!'"

(He actually said "beep". But in the actual "game", it's certainly not "beep".)

Alright, France!

Or, rather, Morocco!

Wow, there is NOBODY back here. So what are we doing? I thought it was lunch time?

Well, it is...but first things first; Belle has just come out!

We end up second or third in line, which is the whole reason we got in line in the first place. While talking to the CM, we notice her Shanghai Disney button - oh, yeah, it's the opening of Shanghai Disney today! Cool! They have commemorative buttons, too! Somewhere. She got it when she arrived for work.

Belle was really nice.

The hat is getting full! The only names Emily still needs are Minnie, and...well, Minnie's about it. She has just about all of the princesses.

Afterwards, it's back to France.

Still empty! Ok, I guess that photo was taken only about 5 minutes after the Morocco photo. But still. Empty!

We arrived at Les Halles...

...also empty! This place tends to fill up quickly, though, so we stake out a table and get in line.

Dylan played it safe and went for the Jambon Beurre, which is "Ham and Cheese, Dijon Mustard Butter on a Demi Baguette":

*Descriptions courtesy of My Disney Experience. Try it today!*

I got the Brie aux Pommes, which is "Brie, Apples and Cranberries in Multi Grain Bread":

Kristin's been talking about this next sandwich for weeks, so of course, it's the Croque Monsieur for her. That's basically a grilled ham and cheese, so I don't know why Dylan didn't get that.

Whatever Emily got, I didn't get a photo of it. It may have been the Croque Monsieur as well. I don't know. I do know that she got a macaroon:

Kristin got the raspberry thing. That's not the official name of the dessert, but you know what I mean.

Emily also got a selfie:

And more macaroons:

They look so unnatural to me. Like they're made of Play-doh. Let's put them under the microscope. 25x:

Fluff, mostly, but it's fun. And good.

Oh, that chocolate thing I got (shown previously) was fantastic, too, as was Dylan's eclair.

The meal, overall, was great, as usual. Kristin's favorite.

Afterwards, I hit the illogically configured restroom (single person? In Disney? Who designed this?), and Emily sits down to color a Duffy on a Stick (tm):

Kristin checks out the ice cream shop:

Love the not-so-Hidden Mickeys!

Before moving on in the world, we get a few more photos of Les Shops du France:

And Les Flowers du France:

And Les Ems du France:

Alright, on to Morocco!

What? You didn't actually fall for that, did you? If you did...shame on you! :)

We can't leave France without watcing the movie. Like the QS restaurant, it's Kristin's favorite in WDW. She loves France. Real France and Epcot France.

We go inside, and it's almost empty. There are a few minutes until the doors open, so we wait:

Nine more minutes until showtime. And zero minutes until Emily asks a question that almost ended up being the title of this Trip Report:

"How long do nine minutes take?"

Um, what? By the way, nice hat!

Looking good!

We watch the film, love the film, then exit the film. On to Morocco!

Or Japan! We bypassed Morocco, because Morocco. And we'll see it later in the week.

Now, Japan...they have this:

And this:

Also this:

And this:

Dylan's looking for merch from the show "Bleach", which he been binge-watching for the last few weeks. All they have is this:

He wanted some sort of hat from the show, but no go. I spot the solar bobbleheads:

Ooh, love the gold monkey on the left! But I'll wait until later in the trip, after I can see what they have in China. They had a Monkey on Toilet with Newspaper bobblehead last year, so we'll see.

What WON'T wait until later in the trip is this:

Apparenlty, green tea chocolate is a thing in Japan:

And a popular thing, at that:

I ended up getting the Kit Kats. They were great! Too bad I'll have trouble finding them back in PA.

We buy candy, then we go outside. The Kidcot area is just beyond the door, and look - origami!

And look - artistic Duffys!

Those are really cool! Whoever did that more than likely didn't get paid enough to do that.

To the right is the Just When You Thought You Couldn't Love the Japan Pavilion at Epcot More display, which changes every few years. Mythical beasts have been replaced with kawaii culture. Ok, so maybe the beasts are still here. But they're wearing duckie costumes now and appearing in bedroom slipper form.

"Kawaii" means "cute", but should also mean "awesome". Since I get a kick out of this stuff (my current favorite band (BabyMetal) is billed as "Kawaii Metal"), I'm going to enjoy this exhibit. Look, even the sign is great:

Look, the volcano, dinosaur, and even the star are HAPPY in kawaii culture. What's not to like?

I see they repurposed the gum girl.

She'll be here next go-around, too, I bet.

Sign!

Stuff!

Hey, is this really Dylan, after being Braved into a bear?

See - I told you. "Animal costumes". As in duckie costumes.

Kitty White, eh? I did not know that.

Did you know that, Evil Business Cat?

I have no idea what this is:

Another sign!

I got a bottle of the iced tea I like, but don't remember the name of, and we left for Morocco.

LOL, no. Not Morocco. We just have to pass through it on the way out. Here are some photos, though:

Still not really crowded! I love Epcot.

We continued on out of World Showcase, then stopped at Club Cool before heading over to Guest Services. The camera went away before we did any of this, apparently. As did my desire to write long, exaggerated descriptions of these events.

The trip to Guest Services was productive, though, as Kristin got our cancellation fee for Rose and Crown waived. Thanks, as always! You're the best!

We used our Spaceship Earth FPs, then boarded a bus back to CSR.

If you think this part of the story is rushed, so was the touring. We were in an out of all of those things. It's was 3:00 by the time we left, and we wanted to go back to the resort shortly after lunch. Since our Teppan Edo ADRs aren't until after 7:00, we should still have time. But we can't be slow.

We arrived back at CSR to find this:

No hammocks. No walking on the beach. Closed.

Emily and I got ready to go to the pool, but Kristin and Dylan opted for naps instead. Oh well, their call!

I didn't get any photos of the pool (Kristin's phone), so we'll put this vacation on pause until the next update. Stay tuned!

(Up next, dinner at Teppan Edo!)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter