Discussion in 'Planning our Happily Ever After' started by tinydancr06, Feb 5, 2012.
Yay for the Princess Half! I'm doing it too! Are you dressing up?
Log in or Sign up to hide this advert.
Thank you! It's so hard to get back into it but so worth it
Thank you! I'm so glad you like the invites! And thanks about the race, I'm so glad it gives me an excuse to take 2 trips Your wedding will come faster than you know it!
I really hope my mom loves seeing the venues. I think it will be special too!
Yay! I'll be wearing an aurora inspired tutu with my sleeping beauty tiara I'm interested to see what running in a tutu will be like lol Excited you're running, too! Will you be dressed up?
I've run a 5k in a tutu and it wasn't bad..its my backup plan right now. I'm going as Belle..I got a gold top and skirt from runningskirts but am not a fan of the top and need to order up a size on the skirt...so I ordered a different outfit from ImpactFitness but its called "banana" and might be too light of a yellow. We'll see. SparkleSkirts is supposed to make a Belle skirt layover and that's what I'm planning on getting for now, but if not then there's a Belle tutu on etsy that I want.
Ok, so I totally fell off the wedding planning wagon there for a while, obviously including updating this PJ! I promise I will try so hard to be better!
Now that we're very close to 6 months out all of a sudden the wedding seems very real. I have a massive to do list all of a sudden! Now I can honestly say for those brides with long engagements that the time REALLY does fly! Anyway, let's get you all updated!
First of all, I completed the Princess Half Marathon! This has been a part of my pre-wedding weight loss plan so I figure it's wedding related enough. I did a full trip report including a blow by blow of the race on my blog here: http://my2ndstar.wordpress.com/
While we were there for the race I got to show my mom the Grand Floridian, the Wedding Pavillion, and the GF Ballrooms. I was so excited for her to see the Grand for the first time and she loveloveloved it! The WP definitely got her a little choked up
Now, on to the more wedding specific stuff:
-Invitations: Our invitations will be shipping to us very soon (hopefully by tomorrow)!!! I'm excited to see them in person but, to be honest, we had a HUGE issue with the Etsy seller.
She basically talked to me about the invitations since January, said we were in her agenda to be shipped by April 17th, took my wording, guest count, and everything and then this past Friday messaged me saying she was worried about me getting my invites in time due to me never having actually booked and payed the deposit!!! I went back through our conversation and quoted five different times over the last three months when I specifically asked for her to create my listing so I could pay her (not just the deposit, but in full!) and she just never did it! She tried to tell me that she wouldn't even be able to start my invites until June now and they wouldn't ship until JULY! It wouldn't be such a big deal to send them out 3 months before (October wedding) except for the fact that we never did save the dates so we could just send the full invite at 6 months out.
Needless to say, after I went through our entire 3 month correspondence outlining how I had tried to pay and she wouldn't create the listing, she backed down and admitted that they were overbooked and it was an oversight on her part. Miraculously, she figured things out so our invites will be done and shipped on the originally planned date!
Lesson Learned: Etsy is fantastic but you MUST BE ON TOP OF YOUR VENDORS! She almost seriously screwed things up for our wedding but all's well that ends well I guess.
-Rehersal Dinner: Weve decided on our rehearsal dinner location! Im not sure if I wrote about this already but here goes anyway. Were going to have a dessert party at Sago Cay Pointe with additional hot items to give a little bit more of a casual dinner with a huge dessert buffet feel. For the hot items we are allowed to choose from GFs cocktail hour menu so we are going to try and go with two of the chefs preparing on stage items. We are looking at the penne pasta and one of the meats (either turkey or strip loin of beef). We dont want to completely lose the feel of having a dinner but we fell in love with getting to watch Wishes (probably Hallowishes) and the dinner minimum for Sago Cay was ridiculous IMHO so we opted for the dessert party instead. Who doesnt want a huge dessert buffet, anyway?! Hopefully it all works out!
-Planning Session Trip: Were in the process of getting our planning kit and menu tasting checklist ready to send before our planning session on May 3rd! My parents will be going up for the session with us and well all be staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We originally were going to do All Star Movies but decided to take advantage of the resort discounts going on. Heres our plan for the trip:
Friday Leave for WDW super early in the morning
9am 1pm Planning Session
2:15 4 Menu Tasting
Rest, get settled at POR
7:25 ADR at Boatwrights and then Yeeha Bob!!! Our favorite!
Saturday EPCOT with my parents (I lovelovelove going to the parks with them!)
2pm ADR at Via Napoli for my pizza fiend Dad
~parents head home
We havent decided what well do for the rest of the night just yet. We have
our complimentary APs now so its nice to just be able to do whatever!
Sunday Magic Kingdom
Ryan hasnt seen new Fantasyland yet and we want to try out
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom this day
4:24 ADR at Tonys Town Square
-DIYs: Over the last few months weve been working on a few different DIY projects.
Rose Place Cards Were doing roses made out of coffee filters as our place cards. We havent added the strips with the names just yet but I really love how the roses are coming out!
The inspiration was actually a peony but we changed it to roses to go with our floral and decor.
Mercury Glass Floral Containers and Votives We got started on mercury glassifying our floral containers. I did speak with our planner about whether or not it was ok to provide these instead of using Disneys and she said it was fine. Were alternating between low pedestal bowls and taller hurricane type containers to get some contrast in height.
This is the sort of shape I would like the taller arrangements to have.
Didn't get a chance to take a picture of the finished pedestal bowls but this is the one we're using, couldn't believe we found them at Target!
On the right is the finished tall floral container. We put the candle inside just to see what the votives would look like so I need to get a better picture but the mercury glass look is definitely there!
Vintage Books To hint at the fairytale part of our theme, were prettying up some old books to use on our tables. You can see one of the finished books in the picture above on the left. Some may go under the floral containers, others may hold up DIYed table numbers. We started spray painting them pewter and blush using lace to create a sort of stencil pattern. Im really happy with how they look so far!
Inspiration in different colors
We may place the floral containers on top of some of the books like this for a little more height.
We may also use the books for table numbers like this...
...or like this.
So, there's my big old update for now. There's so much going on all of a sudden! I will definitely try to post at least once or twice more before our planning session, maybe about our tasting choices. You know after the trip I'll have a probably-too-in-depth report for you! Thanks for reading!
Awesome update! I love, love, love all your decor ideas. I love the flower place cards! I was originally thinking of doing something like that, but I guess my plans fell by the wayside there. But yours look really fantastic! Are you colouring the filters that you're using for the roses? The books and mercury glass vases are gorgeous, I love that look so much. It really is very romantic and fairytale whimsical. It's going to all look gorgeous together!
Sorry to hear about the etsy invitation drama! How horrible! But I'm glad it's going to work out.
Your PS plans sound awesome! Looking forward to hearing all about it!
Thank you! I love your taste so I'm flattered you like my ideas
We're using food coloring to make the roses a pale, blushy pink. It doesn't come through that well in the picture but some are darker than others which I think looks more realistic anyway.
I'm so excited for the planning trip but is it weird that I'm excited to write about it, too? It's been a long time coming!
OH! I'm so glad you updated! I can't believe you're six months out...so exciting!
I love the soft colors and the books...using lace as a stencil when painting the books is brilliant. It ties in the invites really nicely and really does give that fairytale feel. The mercury glass is beautiful and you did a great job on the rose place card holders. Everything looks fantastic, you really are doing a great job with everything.
I forgot to say congratulations on completing the Princess Half Marathon!
Thank you so much! I truly can't believe it either. Craziness!
I totally got the idea for the lace stencil from Pinterest, don't know how I would plan this wedding without pinning! Happy to hear you're liking everything
The mercury glass turned out awesome! I really love the book idea also. I love the aspect of using the books as a table number, I really like the second book with the number on the front. I can't believe how close you're getting
Hi Lindsay! Congrats on the engagement and wedding planning! I have some questions I hope you can answer but I'll send you a PM on them! I can't wait to read more!! Happy Planning!
Joining in! I've spent the whole evening reading your pj and I just love it! I love your attention to detail. I can tell just by reading it that your wedding will be beautiful! I'm do looking forward to reading more!!
My dad gets all the credit for the mercury glass coming out so nice. I love it!
I can't believe it either!!!
Thanks so much! I hope I was at least somewhat helpful
Aw, thank you! Don't you just love those crazy long pj reading sessions? They're the best! So glad yore following along
Thank you again for the info!!!
You're so welcome
Hi, there again everyone!
We are officially UNDER the 6 month mark (5 months and 24 days to be exact)!!! So crazy weird but awesome. I took a picture of my wedding countdown app on the day to commemorate the event!
We leave for our planning session trip eeeearly tomorrow morning. Yay! What is it everyone says? One more sleep!!!
With all that out of the way, its time for another (obnoxiously long) update on things weve gotten done for the wedding. Did I mention its been a total whirlwind ever since we got close to the six month mark?! Anyway, here goes:
- INVITATIONS HAVE BEEN SENT! If you read my last update you know what we went through with the invites so thank God they are our and all is good! Now lets how the RSVPs and resort bookings start rolling in quickly.
- We booked our rooms at the Grand for the wedding! Well, the rooms for my parents and I before the wedding, our complimentary wedding night there will hopefully come later. We booked two rooms for three nights so that adds up to 6 nights for the room block so far. Only 19 more to go! I absolutely cannot wait to spend 3 nights at the Grand Floridian!
- I got to try on MY dress! Like, the actual dress I will wear on my wedding day. I wont be posting pictures on my PJ for sneaky fiancé reasons but I did post them on the DISbrides FB group last week if youre interested. Lets just say I am madly and passionately in love! They actually had to clamp me into the dress (a lot) since Ive lost weight since I was measured in November. We also found the veil! Go figure, this shop is so on their game that they hand picked my veil on the first try, too! If you read about my dress shopping experience then you know how they basically thwarted all of my excessive research and hand picked my dress as well as my bridesmaids dresses on the first try, both of which I had never even seen before. Same story now with the veil. If you only knew how indecisive I can be this would blow your mind! Anyway, the veil is incredible and I couldnt be more happy with all of my attire for the big day!
-DIYs galore! Were planning on having one container of each size on each table (rectangular tables) so my dad has been hard at work getting them done. Well be bringing pictures of them to the planning session tomorrow. Heres what they look like along with some of our lacey books. The colors on the books look a little off in the pictures, more pepto pink and silver than blush and pewter but I promise the colors are perfect in person!
Weve also been playing around with some ideas for the table numbers. We bought one wooden number and very roughly painted it just to get a feel for what it would look like. Heres the (un)finished product.
- Weve tentatively scheduled my bridal shower and bachelorette party! The shower will be at the end of July and the bachelorette will be closer to the wedding on Labor Day weekend. Since Im not planning either thats all Ive got on those things
- I sent out an email blast to all my bridesmaids basically updating them on anything and everything wedding. I wanted to do newsletters but, honestly, email is faster and simpler! I covered the status of their dresses, how I need them to stay on property (gotta love the room block), asked who would be having hair and makeup done so I can book it, gave them a tentative timeline of wedding events so they knew how long they would need to stay, and gave them a heads up on the dates for the shower and bachelorette. I felt like this was a lot but I know when Im a bridesmaid I like to stay totally informed. Oh, and I sent them insider pictures of me in my dress because theyre special!
I also had Ryan send a similar, albeit much shorter, email to his groomsmen to keep them in the loop and get them booking their rooms.
- I booked my bridal tea at The Garden View Tea Room! Im super excited about this for some reason. The reservation is for 2:15 the day before the wedding and we will have 12 ladies there including myself, the moms, my grandma, the flower girl with her mom, and the bridesmaids.
- We finally did our registries at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Target. Not much more to say about that other than it was fun! Ryan loooved using the scanner.
- I finally completed our wedding website other than the wedding party page just in time for the guests to visit it to RSVP. I have a whole database of our guest information and events through our website service so Im excited to use it more once the RSVPs start rolling in. Im super proud of it!
- Weve chosen our flower girl dress and she and her mom will be going soon to try it on and order it. Here it is!
- Ive been gathering things for my bridesmaid gift bags. Ill be ordering monogrammed totes for each of them and stuffing them full of fun things. Heres what Ive gotten so far:
I got a shabby chic looking travel mug for each girl. Three in peach and three in turquoise.
I found a set of 7 very vintagey looking floral bath gels so I will put one in each bag.
- I ordered the Unity Cross for our unity portion of the ceremony. If you dont know what that is its basically a more religious take on the unity candle or the sand ceremony. I think its really beautiful and it was actually available in antique pewter!
This isn't the look of ours but it gives you an idea of it's size on the alter.
Ok, so thats pretty much everything for now. We are all ready for the planning session tomorrow! I put together and have been using my wedding binder and it has really helped with my organization and actually getting everything done. Ill post about that after we get back.
We hit the road at 5am, cant wait!!! Thanks so much for reading! <3
Separate names with a comma.