Limited Monorail? NOOOOOOOOO

K.r.s.t.I b.o. who's whining I can't afford to stay at the poly since it is so expensive BECAUSE OF THE MONORAIL. You are one of the Disney brain washed people who can't find anything wrong with Disney and can't stand anyone who finds fault with Disney. I've been to Disney 52 times and love the place but when they don't live up to what there offering I'm going to call them out on it. Disney has changed since I started to go down in 1972 it's more bottom line profit. They advertise the monorail resorts for the convenience and you pay for it. Who gets the discounted rooms well that's a no brainer the people who stay there during the time period the monorail is down. That is only fair. Difference in whining and standing up for what is fair.

When people spend as much money on a vacation as the deluxe resorts are , they have expectations of the company. One MAJOR expectation of these resorts is the convenience of the monorail transportation.

The failure to meet this expectation, which is clearly shared by most who use the deluxe resorts , is something Disney should avoid.

Monetary compensation will never happen, the alternate transportation is not likely going to be an equivalent replacement in most peoples eyes. Simple as that.

People are upset , rightly so, that their expectations were not met.

Should the company try a few other things to satisfy customer who are justly upset about this? YES!!

All this is basic customer service 101.

Yes!!! I work in healthcare and our organization actually used Disney as an example for us to model our own patient care and employee standards after. They've always been known for customer service and the "experience" they strive to give guests. I think that is what is disapppinging about situations like this.

Just to clarify, I want to see if anyone disagrees with any of these statements:

1. People like the monorail resorts because the monorail gives them better access to some of the parks than non-monorail resorts.

2. The appeal of the monorail, just like the appeal of a better pool, bigger rooms, better theming, etc., is "built in" to the higher price of a resort vs Moderate or Value resorts.

3. It sucks to not have the monorail available to you.

4. It's nice that Disney is still making the monorail available during parts of the day.

5. It's also nice that Disney is adding more boats and buses to compensate for the lack of a monorail.

6. People who expected to have a monorail available to them are understandably angry about the situation, and don't feel that anything that Disney has done so far has actually compensated for the lack of a monorail.

7. Disney has no legal obligation to "compensate" anyone for any lack of monorail services.

I hope we can all agree that those are the FACTS, or at least nearly universal opinions on the monorail.

Everything after that - about what Disney "ought" to do - is a matter of OPINION. Everyone has their own opinion of what the proper level of customer service is. Some people feel that Disney is doing "enough", some people don't. That's fine.

Can we all agree on this? If so, can we agree that nobody is actually "brainwashed" or "uncaring" - on either side? That having an opinion about Disney's customer service is unique to each person, based on their own beliefs and experiences? And that somebody else might have a completely different expectation about the same company, in the same situation, and that's okay?

I ask this because I don't get the feeling that it's okay. Some people seem to think that there's an absolute "right" or "wrong" to Disney's actions here, and that everybody who disagrees with that opinion is somehow mentally imbalanced one way or the other. I can't accept that.

Just to clarify, I want to see if anyone disagrees with any of these statements:

1. People like the monorail resorts because the monorail gives them better access to some of the parks than non-monorail resorts.

2. The appeal of the monorail, just like the appeal of a better pool, bigger rooms, better theming, etc., is "built in" to the higher price of a resort vs Moderate or Value resorts.

4. It's nice that Disney is still making the monorail available during parts of the day.

5. It's also nice that Disney is adding more boats and buses to compensate for the lack of a monorail.

6. People who expected to have a monorail available to them are understandably angry about the situation, and don't feel that anything that Disney has done so far has actually compensated for the lack of a monorail.

7. Disney has no legal obligation to "compensate" anyone for any lack of monorail services.

I hope we can all agree that those are the FACTS, or at least nearly universal opinions on the monorail.

Everything after that - about what Disney "ought" to do - is a matter of OPINION. Everyone has their own opinion of what the proper level of customer service is. Some people feel that Disney is doing "enough", some people don't. That's fine.

Can we all agree on this? If so, can we agree that nobody is actually "brainwashed" or "uncaring" - on either side? That having an opinion about Disney's customer service is unique to each person, based on their own beliefs and experiences? And that somebody else might have a completely different expectation about the same company, in the same situation, and that's okay?

I ask this because I don't get the feeling that it's okay. Some people seem to think that there's an absolute "right" or "wrong" to Disney's actions here, and that everybody who disagrees with that opinion is somehow mentally imbalanced one way or the other. I can't accept that.

pretty much dead on, but why the mask :eek:

Just to clarify, I want to see if anyone disagrees with any of these statements: 1. People like the monorail resorts because the monorail gives them better access to some of the parks than non-monorail resorts. 2. The appeal of the monorail, just like the appeal of a better pool, bigger rooms, better theming, etc., is "built in" to the higher price of a resort vs Moderate or Value resorts. 3. It sucks to not have the monorail available to you. 4. It's nice that Disney is still making the monorail available during parts of the day. 5. It's also nice that Disney is adding more boats and buses to compensate for the lack of a monorail. 6. People who expected to have a monorail available to them are understandably angry about the situation, and don't feel that anything that Disney has done so far has actually compensated for the lack of a monorail. 7. Disney has no legal obligation to "compensate" anyone for any lack of monorail services. I hope we can all agree that those are the FACTS, or at least nearly universal opinions on the monorail. Everything after that - about what Disney "ought" to do - is a matter of OPINION. Everyone has their own opinion of what the proper level of customer service is. Some people feel that Disney is doing "enough", some people don't. That's fine. Can we all agree on this? If so, can we agree that nobody is actually "brainwashed" or "uncaring" - on either side? That having an opinion about Disney's customer service is unique to each person, based on their own beliefs and experiences? And that somebody else might have a completely different expectation about the same company, in the same situation, and that's okay? I ask this because I don't get the feeling that it's okay. Some people seem to think that there's an absolute "right" or "wrong" to Disney's actions here, and that everybody who disagrees with that opinion is somehow mentally imbalanced one way or the other. I can't accept that.

I, personally, disagree with #1. I enjoy the MK resorts on the monorail but will only take the monorail if I absolutely must. My decision to stay at one of those resorts never depends on the monorail since the fear of getting stuck on it precludes any convenience it would offer to me. I know mine may not be a popular opinion but I also know I'm not the only one who feels this way either.

I missed it but are you going to be staying at the Poly during the time the monorail will not be working? Will you have an ECV in tow also? Just curious if this even affects you?

No, I am not staying at the Poly (I don't like that resort) but that doesn't preclude me from having an opinion. These are free boards. ;)

You don't have to stay at the Poly either. Might I suggest the Boardwalk. Great transportation to both Epcot and the studios. You would even save a little money. As for the ECV, your mom could ride it down the boardwalk to Epcot, out the front gate, get on the monorail and head to MK. Could ride it straight to the Studios as well. The only bus would be AK and that is the only way to get there anyways.

Options, Disney provides so many. :thumbsup2

I am not a betting man, but I figure that through this whole next year, the casual theory of supply and demand should mean that the Poly will not have anyone staying there. The construction there on the pools and the villas should make everyone move to other resorts. :confused3 It will be a ghost town. pirate:

#4 is complete crap ... wow, its "nice" of Disney to offer for part of the day what you paid to have all day. That's not nice, that's insufficient.

#5 Isn't a very strong point either, Disney guarantees transport from the resorts to the parks. If people are unable to take the Monorail, they MUST provide an alternative to pick up that transport capacity. This isn't "nice" of them, they MUST do at least this. But this still doesn't make up for not having a monorail. You can get a Bus from any resort, including values, so increasing the number of busses in order to meet the increased usage isn't nice, its what people at Value and Moderate resorts get, you still aren't getting what you paid for.

Both of these points would be like going into a restaurant and ordering the Steak, and when they bring you out the Chicken and you complain and they remake you a steak and send it out you say, "Oh, that was nice of them to actually bring me the meal I am paying for" ... of course, Disney isn't going that far since people aren't getting the Monorail services they paid for ....

#7 isn't exactly a fact. As I explain earlier, or perhaps in another thread about this, there are several types of law which allow legal recourse and monetary compensation for things like this. Now I would have to specifically look at Florida law surrounding customer protection, advertisement, and rental agreements. But in all those categories there are possible legal avenues for compensation.

Even things like the "fine print" often don't apply, depending on the law in the region you are in. Of course the costs of pursuing any such legal case would probably be a non-starter.

We are here now I at 1pm there was only 1 boat running MK-GF-Poly route. Thankfully we are staying at WL, it's inconvenient for us. I would be royally ticked if we were at a monorail resort.

#5 Isn't a very strong point either, Disney guarantees transport from the resorts to the parks. If people are unable to take the Monorail, they MUST provide an alternative to pick up that transport capacity. This isn't "nice" of them, they MUST do at least this. But this still doesn't make up for not having a monorail. You can get a Bus from any resort, including values, so increasing the number of busses in order to meet the increased usage isn't nice, its what people at Value and Moderate resorts get, you still aren't getting what you paid for.

Actually there are deluxe resorts with no monorail service. Ones that actually cost more than the Contemporary resort. You can't claim the monorail resorts are the most expensive resorts because they have the monorail. That is simply not true. Having the monorail might add to their value over-all, but it still doesn't rank as the number one thing that drives the cost of a resort.

And as someone who has stayed at deluxe resorts, I can testify to the fact that they have the worst transportation service out of all of the resorts. The buses are much more reliable than the monorail. And you are less likely to get trapped on one for hours on end.

If there is nothing they can do to make up for the lack of the monorail, the best thing to do would be to change resorts or postpone your trip. Disney can't make the monorail magically run when they have it out of service. Even getting a discount on your room won't make it run. If it would truly ruin your vacation to not have the monorail, there really are no other choices.

#4 is complete crap ... wow, its "nice" of Disney to offer for part of the day what you paid to have all day. That's not nice, that's insufficient. Could they not simply shut it down 24/7?

#5 Isn't a very strong point either, Disney guarantees transport from the resorts to the parks. If people are unable to take the Monorail, they MUST provide an alternative to pick up that transport capacity. This isn't "nice" of them, they MUST do at least this. But this still doesn't make up for not having a monorail. You can get a Bus from any resort, including values, so increasing the number of busses in order to meet the increased usage isn't nice, its what people at Value and Moderate resorts get, you still aren't getting what you paid for. You said it correctly. Disny promises transportation. They do not promise any singular form. They do not promise the monorail
Both of these points would be like going into a restaurant and ordering the Steak, and when they bring you out the Chicken and you complain and they remake you a steak and send it out you say, "Oh, that was nice of them to actually bring me the meal I am paying for" ... of course, Disney isn't going that far since people aren't getting the Monorail services they paid for ....
you don't make any sense to me here. People are reserving a room at a Disney hotel. They are getting it

#7 isn't exactly a fact. As I explain earlier, or perhaps in another thread about this, there are several types of law which allow legal recourse and monetary compensation for things like this. Now I would have to specifically look at Florida law surrounding customer protection, advertisement, and rental agreements. But in all those categories there are possible legal avenues for compensation. good luck on that..they advertise great location, they might even advertise "on the monorail line" but they don't advertise that the monorail will be working 100% of the time, and nobody should expedt that, and they make adjustments when it isn't.

Even things like the "fine print" often don't apply, depending on the law in the region you are in. Of course the costs of pursuing any such legal case would probably be a non-starter. don't doubt that a bit..legal battles are for the rich, as only they can afford it.

answers in red

No, I am not staying at the Poly (I don't like that resort) but that doesn't preclude me from having an opinion. These are free boards. ;)

You don't have to stay at the Poly either. Might I suggest the Boardwalk. Great transportation to both Epcot and the studios. You would even save a little money. As for the ECV, your mom could ride it down the boardwalk to Epcot, out the front gate, get on the monorail and head to MK. Could ride it straight to the Studios as well. The only bus would be AK and that is the only way to get there anyways.

Options, Disney provides so many. :thumbsup2

I am not a betting man, but I figure that through this whole next year, the casual theory of supply and demand should mean that the Poly will not have anyone staying there. The construction there on the pools and the villas should make everyone move to other resorts. :confused3 It will be a ghost town. pirate:

We leave in a few days and pretty much too late to rebook my restaurants and redo my plans. If I had know about this a week ago I might have a better chance. I still wouldn't stay at an Epcot resort. We spend 75% or more of our time at WDW in the MK. To have to go to the boardwalk, walk all the way to the monorail at Epcot , take the monorail to TTC and then take yet another one to MK is absurd. LOL
And yes everyone can have an opinion but unless you are in the persons shoes that is actually staying there during the time of this issue, I pretty much considered yours invalid. :)

mom2grace said:
We are here now I at 1pm there was only 1 boat running MK-GF-Poly route. Thankfully we are staying at WL, it's inconvenient for us. I would be royally ticked if we were at a monorail resort.

Not good:/

Actually there are deluxe resorts with no monorail service. Ones that actually cost more than the Contemporary resort. You can't claim the monorail resorts are the most expensive resorts because they have the monorail. That is simply not true. Having the monorail might add to their value over-all, but it still doesn't rank as the number one thing that drives the cost of a resort.

I think the ability for ppl to walk to MK from Contemporary might increase the cost.
What do you think the reason is that the "Monorail resorts" are so expensive?
I know my first trip to Disney, we had 2 children in strollers and the monorail was an absolute MUST for us!

And as someone who has stayed at deluxe resorts, I can testify to the fact that they have the worst transportation service out of all of the resorts. The buses are much more reliable than the monorail. And you are less likely to get trapped on one for hours on end.

This is up for debate also. The buses don't just stop at one resort. They stop at multiple resorts and it takes awhile..

If there is nothing they can do to make up for the lack of the monorail, the best thing to do would be to change resorts or postpone your trip. Disney can't make the monorail magically run when they have it out of service. Even getting a discount on your room won't make it run. If it would truly ruin your vacation to not have the monorail, there really are no other choices.

I haven't heard (maybe I missed this info) that Disney was notifying ppl and offering to change their resorts if necessary.

I've heard many make analogies that don't really make sense in this situation.
Even with the extra buses, and alleged extra water taxi's, its not the same.
Not only that, the hours from 11a-6 or 7p are a big chunk of the day. A lot of ppl take breaks at lunchtime and return to their resorts.

For those that don't think it's a financial issue with the loss of the monorail, price POR or AKL and see what the price difference is for staying at these deluxe resorts. I cannot imagine that those actually impacted by this issue wouldn't be annoyed and frustrated.
I'm not sure what the answer is to remedy this situation, but it makes you wonder if ppl weren't notified for a reason...imagine trying to move everyone to different resorts or listen to ppl screaming for financial restitution.

There are reasons why there quite a price difference in hotels in Disney, from Value to Deluxe, you are paying for every little extra thing.

#4 is complete crap ... wow, its "nice" of Disney to offer for part of the day what you paid to have all day. That's not nice, that's insufficient.

I'm curious about this. Does Disney really "guarantee" transportation to all the parks? It may be in their legalese somewhere, but I just checked their website & couldn't find it anywhere. I even made a fake reservation directly through the Disney site, & read through the Terms & Conditions, and didn't see anything about complementary transportation being guaranteed, let alone a guarantee of a monorail.

We were at the Poly this past week and the monorail shut down began Sunday. It wasn't a big deal for us. We took the boat back from MK to the Poly about 3:00 - they had several boats running. We just waited about 10 minutes for one. While we were waiting out front of the Poly later that afternoon for the ME bus, there were LOTS of MK buses leaving the Poly.

Disney wasn't shutting down the Monorail just to annoy their customers or even to save money - they were doing it to for the safety of the workers at the GF.

I love the DISboards! You guys entertain me! popcorn:: I can't wait for page 11, 12 and 13!! :woohoo:

Well, to put my two cents in, we also chose the Grand for the monorail. I'm taking an 83 yr old and an 82 yr old. This was the ONLY reason we chose GF. The east of getting Mama and Daddy back to the room in short order so they can rest.

I hope and pray things are back up and running by the 20th. Because by 2pm, they'll be done for the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter