LILO AND STICH - POPULARITY?

LadyDiznee123

DIS Veteran
Hello All:

When I saw the movie LILO AND STITCH I was simply enchanted by how cute this story and the characters were. But it never became very popular. To this day I'm still a tad surprised that STITCH has his own attraction. And the little girl (lilo) was SOOOOOO cute! I don't think I've ever seen her at all at WDW - but I know she exists because I've seen pics of here. Tooo cute she is.

Is it just me? Since STITCH has his own attraction.... is this movie more popular than I realized? And what about my never seeing LILO... which coincides with my thought that the movie (at least not that very cute little round character) wasn't very popular.

Anybody else as crazy as I am about this movie?

UPDATE:

Okay... i just discovered I can find her at the OHANA breakfast!!! Ask me which character meal I'm going to in Oct!!! (*_*)

Last edited:
When the movie came out it was popular, a surprise hit for Disney. It did very well in the box office and got5 great critical reviews. Disney hadn't had an animated hit like that in a while. People enjoyed Lilo and Stitch so much for its original story and fun characters.

Yes it does have its own ride, a very unpopular one at that haha. They are also featured in Typhoon Lagoon for character meet, Ohana, and stitch does character meets around the parks.

Everyone always said they should make a new ride based on the move, something more Hawaiian.

I think Lilo and Stitch will continue to have a good rep, and be considered a great film of Disney. I have always loved it and will continue to love it.:stitch:

You see Alison... I don't remember that it was a beloved film at the time. I recall that I was crazy about it. . .. but seemed like I was the only one.

Thanks for the info! Enjoy your Disney happiness in 3 weeks!

It is now considered 2nd tier. but I am not sure why. It did well, was reviewed well (86% Fresh at Rotten Tomatoes, 73 on Metacritic, and a good rating from Roger Ebert among others.), and was nominated for an Oscar (but lost to the famous Spirited Away which is by Miyazaki and is the biggest movie ever in Japan).

The film came out in 2002 and made $145,794,338 domestically, and $127,349,813 internationally, finishing with $273,144,151 worldwide.

It's claim to fame is that it is one of three Disney Animation movies produced primarily at WDW Hollywood Studios in Florida!

I also think it was fun and different, but almost too different for the typical Disney fan. It seems to be largely ignored by many now and is probably far more popular with kids than adults. Personally, every time I've visited the ride it was moderately busy and kids were loving it. I thought it was a fun version of what was Mission to Mars and, at one time, Alien. I hope they continue Stitch stuff in the parks.

It is now considered 2nd tier. but I am not sure why. It did well, was reviewed well (86% Fresh at Rotten Tomatoes, 73 on Metacritic, and a good rating from Roger Ebert among others.), and was nominated for an Oscar (but lost to the famous Spirited Away which is by Miyazaki and is the biggest movie ever in Japan).

The film came out in 2002 and made $145,794,338 domestically, and $127,349,813 internationally, finishing with $273,144,151 worldwide.

It's claim to fame is that it is one of three Disney Animation movies produced primarily at WDW Hollywood Studios in Florida!

I also think it was fun and different, but almost too different for the typical Disney fan. It seems to be largely ignored by many now and is probably far more popular with kids than adults. Personally, every time I've visited the ride it was moderately busy and kids were loving it. I thought it was a fun version of what was Mission to Mars and, at one time, Alien. I hope they continue Stitch stuff in the parks.

Okay... now what you are explaining is jiving with my thoughts. When you think Disney and popular themes... you just dont think LILO AND STITCH. And I remember doing Alien Encounter. I'm more of a LILO fan than stitch... but I like the both of them. Yes, I hope the continue with the stitch stuff as well

Thanks for your input Tim!

I've seen the basic theme and characters incorporated into two different Disney on Ice shows. It's also a little bit of an odd juxtaposition of a beach party theme on ice skates. Also board shorts and bikini tops (gotta be cold). And the fire dance where they literally light a circle of fire on the ice. This is not my photo BTW.

DSC_0288-400x238.jpg

Of course it's kind of difficult to find someone small enough to play Lilo and can go on a touring show.

I feel the need to comment on this one. :stitch2:

Yes, Lilo & Stitch was popular back in the day. The movie did spawn THREE direct to VHS/DVD squeals (Disney normally stops at two) and a TV series. Popularity has dropped off here, sadly. But in Japan Stitch is still MEGA MEGA MEGA popular. Disney even made a second TV series exclusively for Japan. :stitch:

sailorstitch

I feel the need to comment on this one. :stitch2:

Yes, Lilo & Stitch was popular back in the day. The movie did spawn THREE direct to VHS/DVD squeals (Disney normally stops at two) and a TV series. Popularity has dropped off here, sadly. But in Japan Stitch is still MEGA MEGA MEGA popular. Disney even made a second TV series exclusively for Japan. :stitch:

sailorstitch

Thanks for that info SailorStitch!

I remember being at WDW Hollywood Studios when they were producing this film. Consequently I was very hyped up about the film and now I have lots of nostalgia regarding this event and the film. I must say that I love the film and I have always assumed it was popular due to the abundance of Stitch pins that have been released. Maybe people just like Stitch though :s

Like you, I am crazy about this movie and I love Stitch and Lilo. <3

I remember being at WDW Hollywood Studios when they were producing this film. Consequently I was very hyped up about the film and now I have lots of nostalgia regarding this event and the film. I must say that I love the film and I have always assumed it was popular due to the abundance of Stitch pins that have been released. Maybe people just like Stitch though :s

Like you, I am crazy about this movie and I love Stitch and Lilo. <3

Cool!

I only got around to seeing the movie in 2011, but instantly became a convert. The humor in is great and love the storyline. I now try to get a few Lilo and Stitch pins when I go to WDW :stitch2: it has a big following in Japan and has a small fanbase on Tumblr.

In fairness, it only has an attraction because they needed to replace the infinitely better Alien Encounter with something that wouldn't give toddlers nightmares because their parents wouldn't heed the posted warnings about how scary it was.

The movie is good though, don't get me wrong.

my family loves Lilo and Stitch! my kids always pick a different stuffed Stitch as a souvenir at the parks. They are working on earning Stitch Tsum Tsums right now! Last year we did Ohana and my DD dressed up as Lilo :)
10151181_10151960376365213_9150796453971804975_n.jpg

Lilo & Stitch is considered second-tier to Disney, but in my own experience I think it's one of those movies everyone forgets they love until they see it again or it comes up in conversation. Whenever I watch it with my friends someone always comments "Oh, I love this movie! I haven't seen it in forever!" and everyone laughs out loud at least a few times. I absolutely love it and I think Stitch is a very unique, endearing character who shows that the things that make you "different" are the things that make you the most wonderful. Plus, of course, the everlasting message of ohana. Beautiful!

I agree that people do love it but seem to forget that they do.
I also think that maybe Stitch himself is just more popular on his own as a fun, unique and lovable character - separate of people's feeling about the movie. Because although you never hear much about the movie there is SO much Stitch merchandise in the parks and Disney Stores. I know I'm personally one of those people who loves the movie as a whole but loves Stitch in his own right even more :) :stitch:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter