life threatening allergy to peanuts--what will WDW be like?

quandrea

DIS Veteran
Just found out my dd, 2 has anaphylaxis to peanuts. What will it be like when we travel to WDW. Do we need to do anything differently? Will she be able to partake in snacks from vendors, bakeries, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. She will have to carry an epi pen where ever she goes now.

You should talk to your doctor and make sure you know how long each epi pen will last and then bring extras. I am allergic to stinging insects and when I travel I bring 8 pens with me. You should have enough to last until medics could get to you ( I always plan for worst case and try to have at least on hour supply) and then have back ups in case one does not work.
You may also want to wipe down surfaces such as chairs, tables and the like. If you can, try to use sent free wipes because some people are allergic to the perfumes in some wipes.
You might also want to bring your stroller and get the stroller as a wheelchair GAC. That way she can stay in the stroller while you are in lines and reduce the chances of coming into contact. If you are staying at a Disney owned resort you can request special cleaning and ask to have new sheets and such used to reduce contact there as well.
you of course will have to read labels. There will be more peanut people along that may be bale to tell you what places serve safe foods.

You should talk to your doctor and make sure you know how long each epi pen will last and then bring extras. I am allergic to stinging insects and when I travel I bring 8 pens with me. You should have enough to last until medics could get to you ( I always plan for worst case and try to have at least on hour supply) and then have back ups in case one does not work.
You may also want to wipe down surfaces such as chairs, tables and the like. If you can, try to use sent free wipes because some people are allergic to the perfumes in some wipes.
You might also want to bring your stroller and get the stroller as a wheelchair GAC. That way she can stay in the stroller while you are in lines and reduce the chances of coming into contact. If you are staying at a Disney owned resort you can request special cleaning and ask to have new sheets and such used to reduce contact there as well.
you of course will have to read labels. There will be more peanut people along that may be bale to tell you what places serve safe foods.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about a wipe down of surfaces. I'll ask my doctor about the number of epi pens I need for travel. I'll see him on May 30 and am working on a list.

Your question was timed perfecly - I just hit the board to search for Disney's Dietary contact info. My child has peanut, cashew, and pistachio allergies that are life threatening. We do the following:
  • Contact Disney dietary info (I came here to find the number but haven't found it yet...) - they send a list of what is and is not safe from a snack / restaurant standpoing. They do not go through EVERY menu item from everything in the world but will give you some basic info.
  • Stay away from Buffets.
  • Check the menu's on line- any place that serves any nuts in ANY dish - including "uncrustables" for kids we stay far away from.
  • We always try and find a "corner" type of table and sit my son away from young kids that can reach over and touch him or his chair -even though restaurants don't serve peanut butter, that doesn't mean that someone may not have a PB snack for their child and be sitting next to you at a counter service restaurant.
  • I always have Benadryl as well as Epi Pens
  • I bring a few of my own snacks (I've never had a problem with security since I always have epi pens and Benadryl along with the snacks).
  • I notify the air service carrier and ensure our seats are vacumed and washed down AND I early board and wash everything myself again.
We have been to WDW quite a few times and have only once encountered a proble= we were at Chef Mickey's (Buffet) and my son was playing near a "carpeted" wall with a friend. It was next to a few tables and he leaned against it- within 15 minutes he was one giant red hive. We gave him benadryl and Disney called EMS but by the time hey arrived he was fine. I have to say Disney was great about it and we feel it was most likely due to the fact that the carpeted wall probably hadn't been washed in a while and may have had peanut oil on it from kids hands who did the same thing as our kids.

Your question was timed perfecly - I just hit the board to search for Disney's Dietary contact info. My child has peanut, cashew, and pistachio allergies that are life threatening. We do the following:
  • Contact Disney dietary info (I came here to find the number but haven't found it yet...) - they send a list of what is and is not safe from a snack / restaurant standpoing. They do not go through EVERY menu item from everything in the world but will give you some basic info.
  • Stay away from Buffets.
  • Check the menu's on line- any place that serves any nuts in ANY dish - including "uncrustables" for kids we stay far away from.
  • We always try and find a "corner" type of table and sit my son away from young kids that can reach over and touch him or his chair -even though restaurants don't serve peanut butter, that doesn't mean that someone may not have a PB snack for their child and be sitting next to you at a counter service restaurant.
  • I always have Benadryl as well as Epi Pens
  • I bring a few of my own snacks (I've never had a problem with security since I always have epi pens and Benadryl along with the snacks).
  • I notify the air service carrier and ensure our seats are vacumed and washed down AND I early board and wash everything myself again.
We have been to WDW quite a few times and have only once encountered a proble= we were at Chef Mickey's (Buffet) and my son was playing near a "carpeted" wall with a friend. It was next to a few tables and he leaned against it- within 15 minutes he was one giant red hive. We gave him benadryl and Disney called EMS but by the time hey arrived he was fine. I have to say Disney was great about it and we feel it was most likely due to the fact that the carpeted wall probably hadn't been washed in a while and may have had peanut oil on it from kids hands who did the same thing as our kids.

A common complaint on these boards lately is that WDW no longer sends out the lists with allergy "safe" info.

The "best" you are going to get out of Special Diets is a list of locations "may accommodate Guests' common food allergy or intolerance requirements." That list is posted in the link you provided.

There are places that do serve peanut butter as well as uncrustables(most CS locations). Several food courts have the little peanut butter packets. Every candy kitchen has peanut butter and peanuts in open containers(for carmel/candied apples etc.)

My son has a peanut allergy as well and we have eaten very well at WDW. We do eat at buffets there and feel comfortable with them. The chef will walk the buffet with you and alert you to allergens and cross contamination concerns. They will also bring out special desserts if the ones served on the buffet are not safe. We have also eaten at counter service locations that serve uncrustables, we just wipe the tables down well before eating.
Disney is one of the few places that we are truly comfortable eating. Its one of the main reasons we keep going back. I would suggest eating at least 1 table service meal a day, as these restaurants will be the most accommodating and you will get to speak with the chefs before you eat. We avoid the candy shops, pastries, muffins, cookies, etc. just as we do most other places.
It is a difficult journey to be on--We found out my ds was allergic when he was around 2 and he is 6 now. It does get somewhat easier as you learn more about the allergy and how to keep them safe. I hope you have a great trip!

It's true- they will no longer send out those lists.

If it helps you any, we went when DS's only allergy was peanut and we took no more action than the year before. (he was a baby so we didn't know yet) While you need to keep your eyes open, you would almost have to search to find a place who couldn't accommodate a person with one allergy.

I would stay away from Raglan Road, they seem to be ignoring allergies and serving people things they can't have a lot recently.

i would get stroller as wheelchair for lines as you will not know if someone has let child in line ahead of you have a peanut butter snack and touch rails and then your child touches. this could even happen as line switches back and forth and another child could be having a p&j sandwich. i would be more worried about outside of meals as you can control meals easier. food can be found everywhere plus parents bring snacks that their kids like and a lot contain peanut butter

I would stay away from Raglan Road, they seem to be ignoring allergies and serving people things they can't have a lot recently.

Yes - stay away from Raglan Road in DtD - they served my son almonds when they said the dish was nut free. Thankfully he didn't react.

My son was also dx'd with peanut/tree nut allergies when he was 27 months old and we've done a lot of WDW trips with him.

We never avoided the buffets but talk to the chef. We eat at Crystal Palace every trip and many of the other buffets.

Some of the restaurants in Epcot I would be wary of - like in China, Mexico, Morocco. We've eaten in Germany, Canada, France, England and Japan (the table service) with no problems.

T-Rex in DtD has been fantastic with his allergies - and we eat there almost every trip now.

Tell the CS person that your child has a food allergy and they will get a manager. This will likely lead to longer waits for you but it is the way it goes. Try to eat CS at less busy times helps. Note the allergies on sit-down meal reservations.

Some items that are "made in a facility" labeled we do allow him to eat - his doctor said that was fine. You might check on exactly what warning labels you need to follow. We avoid "made on the same equipment" or "may contains" labels.

I've never asked for a special room cleaning.

When they get older - less wiping down involved for us - which is helpful! I forget how those little ones explore!

Two of our kids are anaphylactic to peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish. They've never had a reaction at Disney. My DD14 is contact reactive (hives), and has not had any problems in all our years of Disney trips in lines, at tables, with ride grab bars, or stair rails. Using a stroller as a wheelchair in lines is unneccessary, especially since your child will most likely be touching ride parts that other people have touched. Handwashing and/or wet wipes are useful after rides, not just for allergise, but germs as well.

We go to buffets and have had great success at Cape May Cafe, Chef Mickey, Biergarten, Hollywood & Vine, and Crystal Palace. Chef Mickey's chef was the best. He brought the kids giant platters full of safe gummies, brownies and cookies. Most dinner breads and desserts are to be avoided. Fortunately, my kids like fruit and that's usually what they're offered for dessert. We don't do much CS, but when do, we let the order-taker know about the allergies. He/she gets the manager who has a binder with ingredients and alerts the kitchen staff about the allergies. It's best to go at off-times when doing this, because you may have to wait longer for assistance and your food.

I know how worrisome it is when your child is first diagnosed with a serious food allergy. In spite of some of the concerns about changes, Disney still does an awesome job handling food challenges. Have a marvelous tirp! :goodvibes

i would get stroller as wheelchair for lines as you will not know if someone has let child in line ahead of you have a peanut butter snack and touch rails and then your child touches. this could even happen as line switches back and forth and another child could be having a p&j sandwich. i would be more worried about outside of meals as you can control meals easier. food can be found everywhere plus parents bring snacks that their kids like and a lot contain peanut butter

I've heard this more than once, but how do you keep an active toddler in a stroller in a line, esp if her twin is running about and free?

My daughter is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and some fruits. She's had 1 anaphylactic reaction to peanuts (first taste--we didn't know she was allergic).

Disney World is the best place to travel with food allergies. I am always amazed by the care the chefs show her. We've had great experiences at California Grille (Contemporary), Boma (Animal Kingdom Lodge), Whispering Canyon (Wilderness Lodge), Tony's (Magic Kingdom), Crystal Palace (Magic Kingdom), Crown & Rose (?) English pub in Epcot, Japanese restaurant in Epcot, as well as many counter service restaurants.

I didn't like the restaurant in Fantasyland (I am having memory problems with names--Pinocchio theme quick serve)---the food stunk & the staff seemed irritated with the allergy issue. I thought 1900 Park Fare (at Grand Floridian) was a bit lax. There were nuts near the pancakes and the chef seemed to think I was going overboard when I asked for a fresh pancake for DD (usually in buffets, the chefs go through with DD & see what she wants). It was not the usual 'Disney-way' at 1900 Park Fare. They also seemed to be rushing us when I talked with them about her allergies. It is the rare occasion to find that at Disney; the chefs are usually very eager to feed the allergic child something yummy. I know there are many other great restaurants. I'd say 99% of my experience has been excellent. DD has never had reaction at Disney & she's never gone hungry there ;). I'd say she eats more variety at Disney than anywhere else.

We've been on at least 8 trips to Disney World (and recently a Disney cruise) & they have been very careful with DD's allergies.

We get hot pretzels in the park, soft serve ice cream, chicken nuggets, burgers, pizza, etc. but avoid any bakery items. I also allow DD to eat Mickey Bars and she's never had a reaction. There is a question lately of whether the bars are 'may contains'. My daughter has a low threshold and has reacted to may contains, but has eaten 100s of Mickey Bars without even a rash. I am comfortable with her eating them, but it is a personal decision.

Also, Babycakes is now in Downtown Disney & they use no nuts (other than coconut which is technically not a nut & my DD is not allergic to it, but this is why they do not call themselves nut-free). It is an allergen-free bakery & dd loved ordering items from there (doughnuts, cookies, cupcakes---things she has never ordered from a bakery).

Main St Bakery (at Magic Kingdom) sells an allergen-friendly packaged cookie, but I think it is gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free & DD didn't like the taste.

We never restricted DD to her stroller. Instead, we washed/wiped her hands often. We always wipe chairs and tables before she eats. If your child can go into public places (the park, a store, etc) without a reaction, then Disney is as safe. We have never wiped down rides before going on with DD. She was awful about putting her fingers in her mouth as a toddler/preschooler. It drove me crazy.

If you make any dining reservations, just alert them to DD's allergy. The chefs will be ready for her :)

Have a great trip!!!

have not had to do myself but had to help a parent at small park i work at with getting EMT's for child hiving from touching something on ride or in line based on what parent said. my guess is not enough time to wipe down ride between rides. if in line other child is not going to be able to run or dance around without bumping into others. that child will just be standing beside child in stroller based on what i have seen at Disney.

I've heard this more than once, but how do you keep an active toddler in a stroller in a line, esp if her twin is running about and free?

I agree with them NOT needing to use a stroller as wheelchair. There are things to touch everywhere and a young child is going to touch "stuff". In a queue line a child in a stroller can still reach and touch the stanchions and ropes. Wiping down surfaces in CS and TS locations would be more important and I've heard of some parents wiping down the attraction "seat" and surrounding area, such as lap bars. I would definitely bring enough epi-pens. I travel with power packs for my ventilator in case of battery issues and I always have more than I need. Better safe than sorry!

My 5-yr-old son has over 20 allergies including most of the top 8. He has been to Disney 3 times (once just for a day trip to Epcot). Two of the trips I brought all of his food with me, but the last trip my CM cousin got us a great deal on the dining plan. Every place treated him like a Prince! We had chefs calling and emailing me before the trip. The chef at POP and Cape May were the best! They called me several times, and even brought in special food for us. Do to all his allergies, he can't have anything on the kids menu. No chicken nuggets, hot dogs, hamburgers, pbj, pizza, etc. He was allowed to order off the adult menu and they prepared his food specially for him. I did send his allergy list a head of time with our ADR's. CS was the hardest, but like I said they treated him like a PRINCE. I did most of his CS credits at POP. Both Cosmic Ray's at MK and the BBQ place at AK, had to search all over the parks but found something that he could eat from the TS restaurants. Both places brought him way more than he could have eaten and even more than one meal. One didn't charge us his CS credit due to the "trouble" of having to wait. I didn't mind waiting because they were being so helpful to make my son's meal times enjoyable and safe at Disney. They wanted to make sure he was taken care of, and my CM cousin was sooo impressed. She made sure to take down names to pass on to the people above them. Enjoy your trip and know that they will do a great job. Disney is the best place to go for allergies. Oh yeah
places like T-Rex, Rain Forest and some places in Epcot are not owned by Disney so they won't be as catering and helpful as Disney owned places.

My DD has severe peanut/treenut/seafood allergies and is athsmatic. She has a dozen WDW trips under her belt, and except for desserts she has eaten well. I do wipe down tables and sometimes chairs. When she was little, I carried a small blanket to cover her chair. We have eaten at lots of buffets without problem but you do need to talk to the chef. We do avoid seafood places, but that just seems like common sense to me. I would pack some safe snacks to have on hand--I would do this whenever you go anywhere, it's just easier. We always carry two EpiPen twin packs and Benadryl in the premeasured packets. It is stressful when you first find out about the allergy, but it does get easier.

My DD has severe peanut/treenut/seafood allergies and is athsmatic. She has a dozen WDW trips under her belt, and except for desserts she has eaten well. I do wipe down tables and sometimes chairs. When she was little, I carried a small blanket to cover her chair. We have eaten at lots of buffets without problem but you do need to talk to the chef. We do avoid seafood places, but that just seems like common sense to me. I would pack some safe snacks to have on hand--I would do this whenever you go anywhere, it's just easier. We always carry two EpiPen twin packs and Benadryl in the premeasured packets. It is stressful when you first find out about the allergy, but it does get easier.

We always carry our own snacks anyway. I always used to make a trail mix with pecans and cashews. She can eat tree nuts, but is allergic to them slightly. She always used to pre chew them and spit them out. I think that was the allergy showing itself; she knew she didn't want them. Anyway, that's out now. we'll try others stuff. Thanks

We always carry our own snacks anyway. I always used to make a trail mix with pecans and cashews. She can eat tree nuts, but is allergic to them slightly. She always used to pre chew them and spit them out. I think that was the allergy showing itself; she knew she didn't want them. Anyway, that's out now. we'll try others stuff. Thanks

You will get really good at reading labels! My DD is so sensitive that she has had reacted to foods that were labeled "made in a factory that processes peanuts and tree-nuts". I would avoid the tree nuts because a slight reaction now can lead to a major one in the future. Life will be different, but it will be fine. My DD was 12 months old when she had her first reaction, so it's been a lifelong thing. You will be an expert in no time, and your DD will lead a normal life. My DD has to live in a world filled with nuts(no pun intended), so she's learned to be very self sufficient. Goldfish, pretzels and raisins can make a quick trail mix. I also bake and keep stuff in the freezer in case of emergency.

You will get really good at reading labels! My DD is so sensitive that she has had reacted to foods that were labeled "made in a factory that processes peanuts and tree-nuts". I would avoid the tree nuts because a slight reaction now can lead to a major one in the future. Life will be different, but it will be fine. My DD was 12 months old when she had her first reaction, so it's been a lifelong thing. You will be an expert in no time, and your DD will lead a normal life. My DD has to live in a world filled with nuts(no pun intended), so she's learned to be very self sufficient. Goldfish, pretzels and raisins can make a quick trail mix. I also bake and keep stuff in the freezer in case of emergency.

Those were her favourites in my old trail mix anyway! BTW, dh just found out today (at 47) that he too is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. He eats both currently, so the doc says to keep that up once a week, but now we know where dd's comes from. WDW has been very helpful thus far with dining ressies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts