Libby's 2009 Trip - Day 2

Dimplenose

Stranger from the outside
Libby's Trip 2009 - Day 1

Day 2 – Tuesday July 28th

I’m awake at 1:30am and 3:30am (have a little chat with DH before he drops off again). AT 5:30am I give up and go and read in the bathroom for a while.
At 6:15 I decide to go and get drinks for the rest of the family who are beginning to stir. I spend ages putting on sun cream (Boots Once factor 40 – good protection but it’s tinted and I find out later that it’s stained our clothes – grrrr!). When I finally get outside it’s still dark.

I wander off to the food court and as I’m passing the piano pool I saw a rabbit. There are one or two people about – mostly smokers, but not many people are silly enough to be up this early. It’s nice the way people say good morning. (Growing up in the Midlands this was the norm, but now I live in the South any eye contact or greetings are avoided!)

When I get back to the room it’s starting to get light. My tentative plan was to go to EMH at MK this morning but the kids want to have their first Mickey Waffles at the food court. I’ve decided to try and over ride my compulsive planning instinct and go with the flow (later on I’ll realise this only works when there is actually a flow to go with). So we decide to do that and if it’s too late to get to MK we’ll head for Epcot instead.

I love the food court. If you want to confuse an American try asking for pankcakes without bacon or syrup (DD likes to have lemon juice and sugar, so we just collected these from the beverage station). We all had a good breakfast and it was still only just 8am. We decide to go with MK plan (with the option of hopping back on the monorail and off to Epcot if it’s super busy.)

IMG_0214.jpg

It’s an easy drive to the TTC and we park in Minnie 37 which is close enough to walk to the monorail. At the TTC the CMs are checking room keys as it’s still 8:30 and the monorail doesn’t open to off-site guests until 8:45.

IMG_0215.jpg

I’d forgotten how long it takes to get to MK. This is one place where I think the buses have an advantage over the car (from ASMu), but we all wanted to go on the monorail.

At MK the bag checks were quick (too quick to be of any use I think) and we decide not to wait 15 minutes for the opening ceremony but head straigh for Splash Mountain. It’s almost a walk on and for the first time I get a front seat and because of this I got soaked.

Then we went to BTMRR. Again a minimal queue. We were asked to hand in one of the red timing cards, but I hardly think it was worth it just timed how fast we could walk from one CM to the next. Once we’d handed in the card we did have to wait a couple of minutes to board. It was a great ride. It took me years to be brave enough to ride this sort of ride but I really love it now.

IMG_0229.jpg

We’re getting a bit peckish now and decide to go back to Main Street to get some snacks. I’m always disappointed that there aren’t more early eating options within the parks. On our way back we ride Pirates of the Caribbean. DD is a big Johnny Depp fan and I like the way they have incorporated him into the original ride.

It’s now 9:45 and Main Street is very busy. We get some doughnuts and ice-creams and have a rest in the shade.

We go to tomorrowland to get fastpasses for the Buzz Lightyear ride. We have nearly an hour to kill. Monsters Inc Laughter thing is about to start so we go there. It was quite amusing but I’m glad I hadn’t spent a lot of time queuing for it.

IMG_0249.jpg

We still had time to wait and as Stitch was only a 5 minute wait, and we’d never done it before, we went on this. I thought it was a very lame attraction but the creatures were quite cute.

As we came out we went round to Buzz. I may have a mean streak but I do love walking past a long queue. This ride is a lot of fun but I have no idea where my shots are going, it’s just a case of keep shooting for a long as possible. Of the four of us I was the winner. We had a look at the ride photo but I didn’t like it as I looked very fierce – no wonder the kids at school walk in the corridor when I ask them to!

IMG_0252.jpg

We’re now very hungry and the park is very busy so we decide to leave and get a snack from the Polynesian Resort. We have decided that this will probably be a last family holiday at WDW and DH and I are interested in looking at some of the resorts in case we come back as a couple in the future so this should get us a nice snack and a look at the resort.

We get onto the resort monorail and get off at the Polynesian. On the way I’m amused to see the Contemporary Resort monorail platform is carpeted!

We’ve never been to the Polynesian Resort before and it takes us a while to find Captain Cooks. My first impressions of the resort are rather underwhelming. It has a very 1970s feel to it (not surprising really) and everywhere seems to be brown or orange and feels a bit tired. We eventually find the snack bar downstairs and make our orders on the touch screens. I have a pork sandwich with Polynesian chips (these turn out to be crisps made from random vegetables) and the boys have flatbreads. DD doesn’t want to eat (she’s beginning to get a bit stroppy which is a sure sign she needs to eat but being stroppy refuses to do so – oh, the joy of teenagers!). We also buy soda – at over $2 a cup it makes the refillable mugs good value.

IMG_0261.jpg

Once we’ve paid we’re given a pager, get our drinks and find a table outside. There are a lot of ducks about. After 10 minutes or so the pager bleeps and we go back inside to collect our food.

IMG_0256.jpg

We have a look around the gift shop and then wander around outside, lovely pool, wonderful view but I’m not as impressed as I thought I would be (but then again we didn’t see the rooms just the outside of the buildings.)

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

We walk back to our car and arrive back at ASMu at about 2pm. We hadn’t been told that our room key works the automatic barrier so we are stopped by security as we enter the resort. (In practise we find that waving our key out of the window will also alert the security guard to open the barrier (DH then makes it his task for the rest of the holiday to see what’s the furthest he can be from the barrier for the security guard to open it!)

We get back to our rooms to find that they’ve not yet been made up. DH takes DD off to the food court to eat (mega-stroppiness is imminent if she doesn’t). As they arrive back at the room so does housekeeping so we all decide to keep out of the maid’s way and go and get some drinks.
Finally we all get back to the room and have a nap. We so tired from a day’s travelling and an early start today. Later DD and I leave the boys asleep and go off to the piano pool. There is a lot of noise coming from the main pool but it’s not too bad here.

IMG_0272.jpg

When we get back to our room we have to wake up DS who is still fast asleep. We decide we’ll go to DHS for the evening. We arrive at 6pm and park in Stage 44. As we get the tram to the entrance I get a tingly feeling – I love this park. We all want to ride the Great Movie Ride. It has a 20 minute wait posted but it doesn’t feel that long before we are boarding. There is only one queue and our guide is a bit weak but overall it’s a great ride.

IMG_0273.jpg

Next I want to have a look at the new Pixar courtyard. I know there’s no chance of getting on the Toy Story ride but I still want to see it. I get a bit lost on the way but we soon find it. The monkeys a re just like some that I had as a child. It all seems very familiar even though I’ve never been here before. (I think I’ve been studying too many of the DIS board quizzes!)

We go to the Studio Catering Co for tea. The DS’s pulled pork had been sitting in the air conditioning while the server got the rest of the order together and was quite cold by the time I was given it – they did change it after about 3 people had prodded it! The Ceaser wraps from here were very nice, lots of chicken and cheese and not too much lettuce.

We wandered back to the wait board at the end of Hollywood Boulevard but find that most rides have 50, 90 or even 100 minute waits. As we’re going to be back early tomorrow we just do some window shopping before heading back to out hotel. I do like the early days of a holiday when we can always come back again.

At the hotel we refill our mugs and buy a box of doughnuts from the gift shop and head back to our room for a bit of TV and bed.

great day, the pancake,bacan and syrup thing made me laugh as last year at CP the CM kept trying to give us syrup(he kept coming back and asking) and thought we were strange that we didn't want it. :rotfl::rotfl:

Another starnge thing is the apple sauce that comes with the kids scrambled egg and bacon. Why is it there??

Good day Libby.
I like your Dh plan to see how far from the Barrier he can be to make the sercurity guard open up ,, great fun :lmao:

Great day. :goodvibes

I'm with you on the Poly, I thought the location fabulous and the pool and beach areas great but felt very underwhelmed by the rest of it. Like you say, it may feel completely different when staying there rather than just visiting.

great day. I agree with you about boots cream ;)i only use ambre solaire nowdays.

My Dh would be playing the same game with the barriers as yours - boys and their toys eh! :lmao:

We must have passed you that day, we were staying at the Poly (which is gorgeous, what are you thinking? The rooms are the largest we've ever stayed in, admittedly the longhouse aren't much to look at though, but the grounds are gorgeous) and we went into MK for the day.

Really enjoying reading your reports. Our kids are similar ages but other way round - dd (19) ds (14). Looking forward to the next installment!

Libby, I do know exactly what you mean about the Poly. It definitely calls to mind the '70s ;) but for me, this is part of its intrisic charm. That and the Lapu Lapus..... :lmao:

Dimplenose said:
AT 5:30am I give up and go and read in the bathroom for a while.
I always end up doing this on the first morning too, willing everyone else to wake up!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter