Let's hear your fish hook stories

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
DS hooked his finger the other day. Long story, but we had to get it out ourselves. So we watched some YouTube vidoes on "how to", which involved putting a string around the hook, pressing it down to release the barb, then pulling it out on the count of "two" (not three, lol). DS was reluctant, to say the least. So while DS and I were "negotiating" the removal strategy, DH yanked the string, and out it came! Didn't hurt a bit! :rotfl2:

FIL was telling me some pretty good stories about fish hooks and DH when he was growing up. Like the time his brother caught his arm while casting, and DH nearly passed out when they were trying to remove it. :lmao:

I was thinking how often this must happen. So let's hear it - what's happened to you?

hasn't happened to me but I xrayed a kid with a fish hook stuck in the foot last weekend :crazy2:

hasn't happened to me but I xrayed a kid with a fish hook stuck in the foot last weekend :crazy2:
Interesting! How far in was it?

DS's was relatively superficial. (This was the picture he sent me from the pond! :eek: )

image.jpeg

DS hooked his finger the other day. Long story, but we had to get it out ourselves. So we watched some YouTube vidoes on "how to", which involved putting a string around the hook, pressing it down to release the barb, then pulling it out on the count of "two" (not three, lol). DS was reluctant, to say the least. So while DS and I were "negotiating" the removal strategy, DH yanked the string, and out it came! Didn't hurt a bit! :rotfl2:

FIL was telling me some pretty good stories about fish hooks and DH when he was growing up. Like the time his brother caught his arm while casting, and DH nearly passed out when they were trying to remove it. :lmao:

I was thinking how often this must happen. So let's hear it - what's happened to you?

I got one caught in the palm of my hand once fishing for Mahi off Islamorada.

Deck hand pushed the barb all the way through and cut the barb off with a pliers then pulled the remaining part out.

It bled a lot, didn't really hurt that bad at the time. We washed it off, but some bactine on it, then ice- it was sore for a couple days but not really as bad as you'd think.

My nephew somehow got one through his lip. I still don't know how that happened. My mom ended up with one through her finger and nail.

Usually fish hook disasters happen due to reckless casting. . . kind of like Adam Sandler movies.

;)

:D

Only story I have was when I was about 9-10. I was at a friend's house and her cat found a fish hook on the floor and it got really badly lodged in the roof of his mouth. We ended up at the emergency vet's office to have it removed. Poor kitty!!

I was tying a new lure on, some kid came stumbling by and hooked his foot on my pole. That jerked the hook into my finger & then the hook broke off at skin level. I was able to dig the broken hook out with a combination of my pocket knife & a pair of pliers.

DSis was about 9 and DB about 7 when they decided to go fishing at our local lake. DSis was up front and DB was behind her when she cast over her head. When she couldn't get the line to go forward she gave it an extra tug for good measure. She caught DB right in the top of the head. That was a trip to the ER. Luckily I decided to stay home.

When DS16 was about 7 or so, we were at a lakehouse with my sisters and my one sisters' in-laws. A few of us were down by the dock with the kids watching them jump off the dock into the water, playing in the sand, etc when we hear a blood curdling scream. The in-laws daughter, who was also 7, had gotten ahold of a fishing pole and was swinging it around. She caught DS right in the upper leg with it. He reacted like he was about to die, LOL but he quickly pulled the hook out and was perfectly fine.

The girl, though....lol She was a wreck. She looked like she was going to pass out she was so scared. I'm sure that DS's scream was enough to do her in, but I also knew that her dad was very strict and got irritated easily, so she was probably also hoping and praying that the situation didn't escalate to the point where EVERYONE came running!

DS still talks about it lol "Remember the time Lauren hooked me with that fishhook??!!"

Growing up, my neighbor got one stuck through her nose. It went up her nostril and came out the side like a nose ring. They had to cut the barb off to get it back out. It was traumatic for her, and for me to watch.

I once caught a convertible Volvo.

A friend and I were fishing in a lake in his neighborhood, it was right off the main entry/exit road.

He was trying to teach me how to use a bait cast reel. I went to cast it, the line flew backwards, and right into the back seat of a passing volvo.

I didn't reel it in, so I don't know if it technically counts as catching it since I didn't land it, but man did that shad rip up the leather in that back seat.

No one was hurt, the guy (driver) wasn't even mad, he was laughing about the story he'd get to tell his insurance agent.

I have gone fishing maybe 2-3 times in my entire life, never above age 10 (so it's been at least 51 years.) In my limited experiences I looked at those hooks, and even at that young age, reckoned "this is just pain waiting for me to screw up." Therefore I have been spared any mishaps, but regret the absence of fresh fish dinners. :fish:

I been hooked many times. Dad made us fish as kids. We would go on "fishing vacations".

Most memorable, getting hooked really good in the palm of the hand with my dad whipping that fly rod back.

So kids, if someone is casting a fly rod, keep a wide berth.

I got to the eyelid one and started feeling woozy. I should have known better than to open this thread :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter