Let the Food and Wine Adventures Begin-Sci Fi Diner and F&W

jedijill said:
I :love: AKV....It's worth the plunge. I haven't tried Sanaa yet as I'm not the biggest fan of curry but its looking like its worth a try.

Great start to your reviews.

Jill in CO

They have lots of other dishes to try including steaks, seafood, and sandwiches.

Wow - I haven't been a fan of Sanaa, but your review has me intrigued. I love vindaloo, but I've never seen the lamb vindaloo at lunch - it must be only at dinner. Was it spicy? I hope it was, but they could probably spice it up! Furthermore, if it compared to curry made by your Australian MIL, that's serious praise. :thumbsup2

We must have twin taste buds! I also really enjoyed Sanaa. I don't know how they got the basmati rice tasted so wonderful! It's rice, for crying out loud! But it was so good!

Lunch next week at Y&Y and I'm still torn between the wonderful seafood curry and the crispy mahi mahi. Tough decisions!

So glad you've gotten started on your reviews. I'm a lover of mojitos as well. The one at Citricos is so awesome.:cloud9:

I've got to agree with you about Kidani Village. I've been trying to talk DH into DVC but he's not budging.

Saana is one of my favorites too. You're right those dishes look small but the portions are big.

I've never tried the BBQ sandwich at Captain Cook's but looks yummy. I think CC's is the best counter service on the monorail.

I will have to put a Citricos mojito on my Disney bucket list :) My DH would never budge on buyig a DVC either, I will have to count on winning the lottery so I can purchase in Golden Oak :lmao:

I :love: AKV....It's worth the plunge. I haven't tried Sanaa yet as I'm not the biggest fan of curry but its looking like its worth a try.

Great start to your reviews.

Jill in CO

:)

Wow - I haven't been a fan of Sanaa, but your review has me intrigued. I love vindaloo, but I've never seen the lamb vindaloo at lunch - it must be only at dinner. Was it spicy? I hope it was, but they could probably spice it up! Furthermore, if it compared to curry made by your Australian MIL, that's serious praise. :thumbsup2

I absolutely adore Sanaa, particularly their bread service . Great review!

I thought the lamb vindaloo was quite spicey and some of the chutneys were very spicey as well. The lamb vindaloo is only at dinner.

We must have twin taste buds! I also really enjoyed Sanaa. I don't know how they got the basmati rice tasted so wonderful! It's rice, for crying out loud! But it was so good!

Lunch next week at Y&Y and I'm still torn between the wonderful seafood curry and the crispy mahi mahi. Tough decisions!

I am telling you that seafood curry is wonderful!

Yay! You are back... and started your review... and I'm loving reading it! (Sorry I'm late!) Saana is definitely one of the places that I am totally interested in trying someday soon. Thanks for sharing your experience. It really is a beautiful restaurant. :)

Love the dole whip machine... great photo posing next to it!

Wow - Sanaa hasn't really been on my radar but I'm intrigued by your meal here. It looks and sounds amazing!!

By the way, I plan win the lottery as well so maybe we can be neighbors in Golden Oak! :rotfl:

I am playing serious catch up on the boards and am very excited to see you have started your reviews :goodvibes

So to continue, we had a reservation for Yak and Yeti the next day for lunch. Well I am so sorry to say we didnt go. Neither of could even think of eating. We didn't have breakfast and just had no interest in food that day. I think it was the heat and humid weather, it just turns me off of food, and yes even my beloved seafood curry. So we went over to Epcot instead and walked around WS and previewed the booths that were already open for the F&W. So a sushi roll sounded good to me so we went over to Katsura Grill in Japan. I always liked Yakatori house and felt like it was the same ol place going there. I had the spicey tuna roll, for the price not that big, but for what I wanted at that moment in time it was perfect. Sue had the shrimp tempura with udon noodles. She was only able to eat half :lmao: Both were excellent and I would go back to Katsura again for not only the food but for the friendly service.

fw20_zps1fb3effd.jpg

fw21_zps7e2922a6.jpg

I know what you mean about the heat/humidity playing a number with your appetite! I'm not a sushi lover but that shrimp udon looks wonderful!!! :thumbsup2 Plan B is sometimes just as well. :)

I know what you mean about the heat/humidity playing a number with your appetite! I'm not a sushi lover but that shrimp udon looks wonderful!!! :thumbsup2 Plan B is sometimes just as well. :)

You are right, sometimes plan b is perfect :)

I have to join in here, so far your report is really good! So good in fact that I just rang DH to inform him Sanaa is now a 'must-do' on our trip next May :lmao: Looking forward to the rest of your report :goodvibes

After walking around we decided to hit a couple of the F&W kiosks that were open early that Thursday before the festival.

fw19_zpsfef4533f.jpg

I started off with a Radeburger beer, I do not like dark beers but love this one!

fw22_zps3470cfff.jpg

We split the Kalua Pork Slider, I think the pork sandwhich at Capt Cookes ruined this for us as the meat was dry with very little sauce. It's so funny that this was my favorite from last year!

fw23_zpsc248513c.jpg

I broke down and bought this F&W Duffy Bear! I love him as he is on full display on my kitchen island at home now.

fw38_zps7f0290a0.jpg

Dinner at the Sci Fi Diner

I have not been to the Sci Fi Diner since May 2008. When we went back then it wasn't very good, but I really wanted to go back. We were hitchikers in the back of this families car for this meal :rotfl: They were very nice from Wisconsin and enjoyed talking to them. Our waiter was super nice and was actually a real estate agent just like Sue and I so we had a lot to talk about throughout the meal. Now on to the food we ordered the spinach dip which was soooo good!!

fw30_zps42dc09e3.jpg

fw31_zpse65927f2.jpg

I went all out and blew the diet, and ordered the burger and fries. I don't know if it's because I was starving but that was one of the best burgers I have ever had. I could only eat half, but wow! I was relieved because there is nothing like consuming something that isn't good for you that doesn't taste well!

fw33_zpsca30213b.jpg

Sue had the rueben with the cucumber salad and she said it was fantastic.

fw35_zpsb828cf00.jpg

We didn't have dessert, we were too full. I forgot to mention Sue had a milkshake with her meal and it was :goodvibes

I would not hesitate to return here, the whole theme is Disney at it's finest and I really enjoyed the food.

I haven't been to the Sci Fi before. I've always had the idea that the food wasn't so great and it was just one of the "you pay for the experience" kind of places. But I've seen a few decent reviews lately! :cheer2:

I went to Hawaii a few years ago and went on a food tour where we tried something similar to that kalua slider and it was *amazing*!! I've always been afraid to try anything similar because I've been positive that nothing could compare. But I think I will try the sandwich at Capt Cookes because it seems to get a thumbs up from quite a few people!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter