Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle- A May '14 TR *12/3 PTR Link to Real Life News

More than likely I’ll just end up using it to rest on the couch…
And that would be completely justified. Take care of yourself first!

On the other hand, what good is a trip report that’s sugar coated and only a half- truth.

This stuff happened on this particular trip and there’s no getting around it.
Good point. That's just part of it, whether we like it or not.

He was starting to make a scene and as a parent, I knew Landon was getting into one of those moments where nothing but a long crying and screaming spout would get it all out of his system.
Uh oh...

Thanks, Candy Crush for saving the day!
What??? Candy Crush is usually what makes me grumpy when those stupid chocolate squares keep screwing me up... :rolleyes1

I got the cheese Danish and iced coffee and my mom got the hot coffee and cinnamon roll.

Landon got Puffs.
You and your mom had some delicious looking snacks.

And you wonder why he's grumpy?

So my mom urged me to go use my Fastpass while she took over baby duty for awhile.
Ok, cya, bye!

I told her I couldn’t leave her up the creek like that. Landon could’ve turned on her in an instant and there would be nothing she could do to stop it.
Oh yeah, just make me look like the bad guy. You're clearly a good, caring daughter. :rolleyes1

And believe it or not, after the poor night’s sleep, crabby morning, constant napping, and unwillingness to run around much, my mom and I STILL didn’t suspect anything other than a bad mood.

Yeah.

Looking back on this morning, I feel like a dummy.
Maybe you were just trying to be optimistic and see it as just a minor thing.

My mom and I spent the first 3 hours of our morning in one location inside the park, getting in 4 turns on Soarin’.

That might sound crazy, to waste almost half a day in one tiny corner of Epcot, but the two of us wouldn’t have had it any other way. We escaped the heat, we kept an unhappy kid mollified, and my mom got the opportunity to ride her favorite attractions multiple times.
Yeah, it really didn't seem horrible. Maybe not ideal, but you managed to avoid full toddler meltdown and your mom got plenty of Soarin' time in. Not the worst morning ever, by an stretch of the imagination.

It was our last ever ride on Maelstrom!
I'm glad you got a chance to take a last ride. I've always liked Maelstrom, although I'm actually looking forward to seeing the changes.

Because, you know, what could possibly go wrong with strapping a bad tempered toddler into a high chair for an hour long meal with nothing but his imagination and crayons to entertain himself?
Uh oh...

Aw, poor Landon!! Seems like he was just not feeling well that morning. But of course, with a bad night's sleep and the heat, it would be easy to overlook it as anything more. I'm sure one day when he is older you will look back on that trip with him and your mom and say, "Remember that time we spent the entire morning in the Land pavilion?"

That way I only have 1 trip I’m completely behind on writing.
That actually sounds like a wonderful place to be! :rotfl:

But it’s an entirely different ball game to sit down and remember the not so great times you had on a vacation. They are the sort of stuff you like to throw in the back recesses of your mind and forget about. The stories that you convienentlly wipe from your memory when thinking about taking a future trip.
I know what you mean. In those times, I always remind myself that it will make for interesting reading for my DIS-friends. ::yes::

Dsc06269_zpshd1glcsz.jpg
Oh, poor Landon! So sad! :sad1:

I’m pretty strict about screen time at home. Even now Landon gets very little, but on that morning, I was too tired to deal with the glares of angry strangers.
You gotta do what you gotta do. :goodvibes

And believe it or not, after the poor night’s sleep, crabby morning, constant napping, and unwillingness to run around much, my mom and I STILL didn’t suspect anything other than a bad mood.
:scared: So much easier to see these things in hindsight, though.

While the attraction was fun, as always (I just love the soundtrack) I appreciated the time alone more than anything. It was like catching a big breath of fresh air before I delved back into patient parent role.
Yep, I can relate to this. ::yes:: Having a little time-out from parenting is so helpful sometimes.

Because, you know, what could possibly go wrong with strapping a bad tempered toddler into a high chair for an hour long meal with nothing but his imagination and crayons to entertain himself?
:scared1::scared1::scared1:

And that would be completely justified. Take care of yourself first!

Good point. That's just part of it, whether we like it or not.

Uh oh...

What??? Candy Crush is usually what makes me grumpy when those stupid chocolate squares keep screwing me up... :rolleyes1

I started playing the game when Landon was a newborn and I was up all night with him. Gave me something do to help keep me awake, and now I play it when I'm waiting in doctor's offices or waiting the 30 minutes it takes Landon to do his speech therapy twice a week. I've played so far that I'd be mortified if anyone ever saw what level I'd made it to. But hey, one video game is allowed, right?

You and your mom had some delicious looking snacks.

And you wonder why he's grumpy?

That's all he wanted! Back then that kid lived off those things and the little food pouches you could buy.

Ok, cya, bye!

Oh yeah, just make me look like the bad guy. You're clearly a good, caring daughter. :rolleyes1

Maybe you were just trying to be optimistic and see it as just a minor thing.

Yeah, it really didn't seem horrible. Maybe not ideal, but you managed to avoid full toddler meltdown and your mom got plenty of Soarin' time in. Not the worst morning ever, by an stretch of the imagination.

I'm glad you got a chance to take a last ride. I've always liked Maelstrom, although I'm actually looking forward to seeing the changes.

Uh oh...

I'm sure whatever Disney changes Maelstrom to will be fantastic, but I think I'll always miss the original a little bit. And like I said, it was really nice having a walk on ride inside the World Showcase. Gave us a chance to get out of the heat and get off our feet for a bit.

Aw, poor Landon!! Seems like he was just not feeling well that morning. But of course, with a bad night's sleep and the heat, it would be easy to overlook it as anything more. I'm sure one day when he is older you will look back on that trip with him and your mom and say, "Remember that time we spent the entire morning in the Land pavilion?"

My mom and I look back on this trip and Landon's mood and feel like such dummies, but we just didn't see anything wrong at the time. It was a huge learning experience for us, and now I know if I can handle a toddler that grumpy at Disney, I can handle most anything a trip throws my way.

That actually sounds like a wonderful place to be! :rotfl:

I know what you mean. In those times, I always remind myself that it will make for interesting reading for my DIS-friends. ::yes::

Oh, poor Landon! So sad! :sad1:

You gotta do what you gotta do. :goodvibes

:scared: So much easier to see these things in hindsight, though.

Yep, I can relate to this. ::yes:: Having a little time-out from parenting is so helpful sometimes.

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

That is true. Sometimes, I enjoy reading about rough mornings at Disney because it reminds me that I'm not alone in the experiences. For example, your story about Izzy having the meltdown in the airport bathroom over getting her clothes changed definitely reassured me that it's not just my kid that has those times. Just makes us more sympathetic to those poor parents we see going through times like that.

Even if it's 5 minutes, time away from your kid on vacation can be wonderful! I think whoever created Rider Swap had that ulterior purpose in mind when they made it!

August 19th, 2014:

On this afternoon, lunch was at my all-time favorite Disney restaurant.

Via Napoli.

Home of the best pizza on Earth.

Seriously, this stuff puts all other pizzas to shame.

Just take your favorite local pizzeria and imagine giving it a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10. Then give Via Napoli a 10.

That’s how good it is.

I think my family was getting a little sick of eating at the restaurant every single trip, but I was able to talk my mom into it for two reasons. The first: I got her an ADR for a place she was dying to try, so she gave me this one.

The second reason: this was going to be my birthday meal. I wasn’t planning on us being in Epcot on my actual birthday, so I arranged to have the meal on this day.

I guess everyone else in the parks had made the same plans, too, because when we got inside to check in it was packed! The poor Cast Members were ushering people to their tables and rushing back to the check in desk to get another family. They looked harried and the place had only been open ten minutes.

Poor fellows.

My mom and I were sat in the middle the restaurant, right on the other side of the glass window that looks out into the lobby and next to one really long table that could seat about 16 people at once. We felt kind of out in the open and were within the main foot traffic path, but we’d gotten so many good tables in the past that we weren’t going to complain.

Landon seemed interested in the crayons that were provided:

That was a good sign.

Except it didn’t last long.

Our server was incredibly nice and brought his food out early to try and appease him. Normally, I don’t like when restaurants do that, because what usually happens is Landon will finish long before us and then get bored. Resulting in me having to try and eat my food and find things to entertain him. However, after the morning we had, I was grateful for a new distraction.

And even better? The server comped his meal!

She said that kids 3 and under get a free spaghetti and meatball dish when an adult orders, but I don’t think that was necessarily true. This last February when we dined there that definitely did not happen.

Not that I’m complaining. I just think the Cast Member was being extra nice to us that day.

Landon ate a bite or two of the noodles and maybe half of the meatball, which was a little worrisome for me. Normally, that kid dominates that kind of meal. He could pack away more meatballs than I could!

So while the irritability at the Land and the poor sleep were no big deals, the not eating was a major red flag for me. (And my mom) It kind of hit us right then that something “might be up.”

My kid has his moments, but when he stops eating we’ve got issues.

I wasn’t even halfway done with my pizza (the Quattro Formaggio) when he decided enough was enough and wanted out of his seat and into my lap. I was doing everything in my power to hug him and sing to him and calm him down while scarfing down my dish, but it just wasn’t working. The poor guy was done.

So, to salvage a little bit of enjoyment out of my meal, I pulled out my least favorite parenting tool.

I’ve tried to keep a hard and fast rule in my family not to give electronics at the dinner table, especially at restaurants. I know some people do it, and I’m not judging, it’s just a personal choice. For me, it bugs me to have that stuff going during a meal. I don’t know why, but it just does.

But when I saw that Landon wasn’t eating I knew this was a very unique situation and that there was something bigger at play that I hadn’t figured out yet. So exceptions were made.

My meal at Via Napoli wouldn’t have been complete without a serving of tiramisu.

One of the best desserts around…

(I am really regretting not writing this part of the trip earlier, now. Staring at a picture of tiramisu when I’m 8 months pregnant and having to carb count due to gestational diabetes is just cruel. CRUEL!)

At the beginning of the meal, my mom told the server that I was celebrating my birthday, so we also were treated with a special birthday dessert. Unfortunately, it had strawberry sauce drizzled on top of it, and I’m allergic to strawberries, so guess who was lucky enough to get it?

While he might not have been up for eating meatballs, Landon was certainly not going to turn down whipped cream. That was his favorite dessert, after all!

That was a nice ending to a rocky meal, and it made me glad I stuck through to the end. There was a time or two I was ready to ask for the check and just leave with what I’d eaten, but fortunately sugar saved the day.

And we came out of the restaurant to a gorgeous Florida day.

Epcot provides such a beautiful window into Florida’s sunshiny beauty, I think. More so than any of the other Disney parks, whenever I am in Epcot I can’t help but be grateful that Florida is the state I call home. Most of the time it’s brutally hot out or on the verge of pouring rain, but when it is nice out…it’s really nice. I’m afraid once we move someplace else I’m going to return to Epcot for vacation and become really homesick when I see those blue skies over the monorail track and around the World Showcase.

My mom and I had every intention of leaving the park after we ate. Being out and about in midday August weather is just crazy; but we had to stop on our way to the parking lot and take an A.C. break. That trek from the center of World Showcase to Future World is long when the temperature reads 100 degrees and there’s barely any shade to hide from the sun.

Naturally, our cool off spot was here:

I felt like I was participating in a tribute journey for Alex on this trip. Make my way into the Emporium….check. Discover a cool new store….check. Go into MouseGears….checked off now.

Cooled off a little, my mom and I wandered back outside.

Bye Epcot!

Back at Animal Kingdom Lodge, I was able to successfully transfer Landon from his carseat to his stroller while he was asleep. Win!

I told my mom she could go ahead and head back to the room and relax for a bit. I decided to find an empty couch in the lobby and call Alex.

Landon continued to sleep soundly by my side.

Alex was just getting off his shift so he was able to talk for a few minutes.

I didn’t have any headphones in my diaper bag, so unfortunately I had to turn the volume down low on my phone and kind of whisper everything so as not to disturb the other families around me, but I wasn’t complaining. Any chance I got to talk with Alex was considered a win in my book.

And seeing these photos from a year ago does not make me miss those days at all. Man, I’m so grateful I don’t have to do that right now…

Even though I only got to speak to him for ten minutes, I was extremely grateful for that time. He asked me how I was enjoying my day, if I’d gotten the pizza I so dearly loved, and what my nighttime plans were. (Ironically, Alex – the man who can’t remember our daily plans to save his life- remembered all my ADRs and park choices for this trip! It was something I gave him a ton of grief over.)

I spent the whole of the conversation telling him about Landon’s bad mood and how it was hard to really feel the Disney magic when the kid was so miserable. I confessed that at that point, I almost wished we hadn’t gone on the trip. It was difficult to stay positive and happy when all Landon wanted to do was cry and/or sleep. And add the stress of him not eating to that list, and I was just having a small pity party to my husband. I even told him how the situation would be so much easier if he were there. Being the sole parent that had to dole out constant hugs and cuddles and affirmations was exhausting.

Normally, my rule of thumb when I spoke with Alex was to not whine or complain too much or for too long. I never wanted to bring the conversation down and didn’t want him stressing or worrying about me being upset or unhappy. Sure, I told him when Landon had given me a hard day or when there was some real life drama going down, but I never dwelled on it. I always got that information out of the way and ended the talk on positive notes.

Nobody wants to be away from their loved ones and have to hear how miserable they are. That’s just not fair on them.

But I definitely broke that rule a tiny bit that afternoon. I was just hot and very, very tired and I was really missing my normal Disney buddy.

Those things happen.

Like all our calls, we had to hang up eventually. Alex had things he needed to do and my phone was dying and Landon was starting to wake up. Another FaceTime finished, about a hundred left...

Landon took his sweet time waking up, so I walked around the lobby at a leisurely pace, reading about some of the displays and soaking up the atmosphere.

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

The more time I spent in the AKL lobby, the more I fell in love with the place. I’ve said it a million times already, but I feel the need to say it again. If I could, I’d take a long weekend to Disney and just hang out at AKL. No park tickets needed. Just some refreshing beverages, the pool, and a great view of the giraffes and I’d be good.

The resort even had awesome hallways:

f2 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

I got a kick out of looking out for and spotting my favorite masks on the doors. Each one was unique and some of them had really interesting designs. I remember there was one that almost had a Polynesian theme to it; it was my favorite. I don’t know why I never took a photo of it. I guess I was afraid I’d be mortified if the guests staying in that room came out and saw me taking a photo of their room.

They’d probably have called security on me…

When I got back to the room, my mom was getting ready to head out to the pool. She offered to wait for me and Landon if we wanted to join, but I figured the best thing for the kid at that point was some down time in the room.

After my mom left us to our own devices, I went into the part of the room that housed the two sinks and one of the table chairs and saw that my mom had done some serious relaxing while I was in the lobby.

f3 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

When the kids are away, the grandma will play…

But, my mother being the kind and generous person she is left half a can of Sprite for me in case I wanted to break into the stash and help myself.

Gotta love traveling with your folks post-21 years old...

The next few hours were spent on the floor with Landon, letting him play with his toys and roam around. I don’t know what was so different about the room compared to the parks, but Landon was a much happier kid in there.

Mom, on the other hand, was bored out of her skull.

I updated my travel journal, tallied my trip expenses, perused the internet, messed around with Landon’s new toy my mother bought him.

f4 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

It was an incredibly cute toy. A Small World boat with some classic Disney characters.

Landon got a kick out of throwing the people around the room and into baskets.

I enjoyed just arranging them in weird ways.

My mom rejoined us in the room after an hour or so and started watching a show on her laptop.

Hours passed…

f5 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

At least I had a good view from the floor.

And Landon was the happiest he’d been all day.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t going a little stir crazy sitting in the room. I’m all for taking it easy and getting some down time while on vacation, but I also don’t want to waste my precious Disney time in a resort. I felt like the three of us had done nothing that day, and it put me in a mindset not much brighter than Landon’s.

Dinner time rolled around and my mom and I took Landon down to the Mara to get a bite to eat. We both ordered the barbeque flatbread, but I can’t comment on how it tasted.

Because it was during our meal that Landon had the biggest, most colossal meltdown of all time.

There’s never been anything like it since, thank goodness, because it was horrible! I hadn’t heard him scream like that in all his life, and nothing was calming him down. It didn’t matter if I was holding him or he was sitting in a highchair or if he was eating or getting screen time…he was upset.

The whole food court was STARING at us.

I tried to scarf down my pizza, but I could barely stomach it. Landon was making such a scene that I just wanted to get out of the ASAP.

I was mortified, tired beyond belief, and also frustrated. I couldn’t make this kid happy no matter what I did and I was tired of trying.

At that exact moment, I wanted to be back in my house in my own space and away from all the harsh judgmental eyes of two dozen strangers.

Landon was crying, I was crying, my mom was running around like a madwoman, trying to clean our table off so we could run out the door.

Hands down, that moment was the worst Disney moment I’ve ever had.

I hated it. Not even going to sugar coat it. It made me homesick and over the vacation.

I’m pretty sure I’ll never be able to go into the Mara again without remembering that incident.

Every parent has that one memory from their kid/toddler they’d like to erase forever; mine just happened to occur in Disney. Lucky me.

The three of us ran back into our room, completely upset. My mom and I agreed we needed to rethink our plans for the trip. What we were doing was NOT working.

My mom, bless her heart, had to pull out her mom skills and calm me down. She was using her Mom radar and was seeing how over everything I was. We talked for a long while and got Landon to go to sleep (albeit in my bed and not in the Pack and Play) and once the worst of the storm had passed, my mom told me I should go to a park by myself for a little while the following morning. She said that was going to be the best thing for me, and that I deserved a break from the kiddo for a few hours. I hadn’t gotten any time away from him since Alex had left a month prior (aside from a quick trip here and there) and she said I needed that mom-free time.

She promised me that she’d be fine taking care of Landon in the room, and that even if he was just as upset as he was at dinner, she’d handle it.

Just letting the thought of going to a park on my own sink into my mind made me feel a thousand times better.

Solo Disney time?

Yes. Yes. Yes!

And if that wasn’t enough to forget about that terrible dinner, my mom was awesome and went and got us dessert.

f6 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

There’s nothing a Premium Ice Cream Bar can’t fix!

Up Next…My First Time Doing Disney Solo

Last edited:
This is like reading a "toddler thriller;" I'm kind of on the edge of my seat waiting to hear that everyone survives! (Even though I know you did, and there will be a happy ending to the story.)

next to one really long table that could seat about 16 people at once.
They sat us at that table on our first visit. Felt a little odd and we asked for our own table the next visit. Good view of the pizza ovens from there, though.

Sweet! :thumbsup2

It kind of hit us right then that something “might be up.”
:idea:

the Quattro Formaggio
Good choice! Love that one!

I’ve tried to keep a hard and fast rule in my family not to give electronics at the dinner table, especially at restaurants. I know some people do it, and I’m not judging, it’s just a personal choice. For me, it bugs me to have that stuff going during a meal. I don’t know why, but it just does.
You gotta do what you gotta do. Strangely, I don't think I've ever given Izzy my phone at a restaurant meal (though I've shown her pictures sometimes), but most nights at home, she eats dinner with a background of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on TV while I play on my phone and eat. :o (Yeah, bad habit we got into).

(I am really regretting not writing this part of the trip earlier, now. Staring at a picture of tiramisu when I’m 8 months pregnant and having to carb count due to gestational diabetes is just cruel. CRUEL!)
I'm so sorry. :hug:

While he might not have been up for eating meatballs, Landon was certainly not going to turn down whipped cream. That was his favorite dessert, after all!
Haha, Izzy loves the stuff too!

but fortunately sugar saved the day.
Isn't that always the case. :rotfl:

I’m afraid once we move someplace else I’m going to return to Epcot for vacation and become really homesick when I see those blue skies over the monorail track and around the World Showcase.
Depends where you end up, but, yeah, you probably are. ::yes::

I was able to successfully transfer Landon from his carseat to his stroller while he was asleep. Win!
Big win! :cool1:

But I definitely broke that rule a tiny bit that afternoon. I was just hot and very, very tired and I was really missing my normal Disney buddy.
Totally understandable. You need to lean on each other sometimes, even when far away. :goodvibes

If I could, I’d take a long weekend to Disney and just hang out at AKL. No park tickets needed. Just some refreshing beverages, the pool, and a great view of the giraffes and I’d be good.
I'm right with ya on that. :thumbsup2

:rotfl2:

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t going a little stir crazy sitting in the room. I’m all for taking it easy and getting some down time while on vacation, but I also don’t want to waste my precious Disney time in a resort. I felt like the three of us had done nothing that day, and it put me in a mindset not much brighter than Landon’s.
I think I'd be going stir-crazy too. :faint:

I was mortified, tired beyond belief, and also frustrated. I couldn’t make this kid happy no matter what I did and I was tired of trying.
That whole thing sounds awful! Sorry you had to deal with that! I guess I was lucky we were behind closed doors with the bathroom fiasco!

my mom told me I should go to a park by myself for a little while the following morning. She said that was going to be the best thing for me, and that I deserved a break from the kiddo for a few hours. I hadn’t gotten any time away from him since Alex had left a month prior (aside from a quick trip here and there) and she said I needed that mom-free time.
What a great mom!

And if that wasn’t enough to forget about that terrible dinner, my mom was awesome and went and got us dessert.
Yep, a GREAT mom! :thumbsup2

Meh. Sorry but I have 2 or three awesome pizza places here at home. The noise and chaos of Via Napoli does nothing for me.

She said that kids 3 and under get a free spaghetti and meatball dish when an adult orders, but I don’t think that was necessarily true. This last February when we dined there that definitely did not happen.
maybe on the dining plan? :confused3

My kid has his moments, but when he stops eating we’ve got issues.
::yes:: Same with Little Miss.

I've learned to never say never.

One of the best desserts around…
::yes::

:rotfl: Awa your almost to the end point.

Hey at least you got food in him!

:rotfl:

The next few hours were spent on the floor with Landon, letting him play with his toys and roam around. I don’t know what was so different about the room compared to the parks, but Landon was a much happier kid in there.
Significantly less stimulus.

Every parent has that one memory from their kid/toddler they’d like to erase forever; mine just happened to occur in Disney. Lucky me.
There are worse places.

Just letting the thought of going to a park on my own sink into my mind made me feel a thousand times better.
What a good Momma! and really sometimes that is exactly what you need. A few hours just your own to be in the quite.

On this afternoon, lunch was at my all-time favorite Disney restaurant.

Via Napoli.

Home of the best pizza on Earth.

Hey, you don't have to convince me! :thumbsup2

The second reason: this was going to be my birthday meal. I wasn’t planning on us being in Epcot on my actual birthday, so I arranged to have the meal on this day.
Great choice for a birthday meal.

That's nice! I've had similar situations happen at a few places, where they bring DD something even though we didn't order it. I think it might be one of those unspoken perks. I mean, essentially you're supposed to share with the ones under 3, but sometimes they just aren't going to eat what mom and dad want to eat. We've been given a bowl of mac & cheese or something like that and not charged for it.

Oh, yuck... I'm sorry.

Well, no matter how, grump, upset, bad you feel... you just can't turn down dessert. Especially when it is piled with whipped cream.

I’m afraid once we move someplace else I’m going to return to Epcot for vacation and become really homesick when I see those blue skies over the monorail track and around the World Showcase.
I feel that way and I've never lived in Florida. But on a nice day in EPCOT... or really any other park, I kind of want to find a spot in one of the buildings along one of the less crowded walkways where I could just move in.

I didn’t have any headphones in my diaper bag, so unfortunately I had to turn the volume down low on my phone and kind of whisper everything so as not to disturb the other families around me, but I wasn’t complaining. Any chance I got to talk with Alex was considered a win in my book.
::yes:: I'm glad you had a chance to talk to him. I'm sure you needed it. Aren't you glad we live in an age when you can Facetime with him?

(Ironically, Alex – the man who can’t remember our daily plans to save his life- remembered all my ADRs and park choices for this trip! It was something I gave him a ton of grief over.)
I can see this. It was probably something positive and nice from back home that he could think about and focus on. When he's actually on the trip, well, there's too much going on and a lot of fun to be had. He knows you've got the details under control.

After my mom left us to our own devices, I went into the part of the room that housed the two sinks and one of the table chairs and saw that my mom had done some serious relaxing while I was in the lobby.
That's how you do vacation.

But, my mother being the kind and generous person she is left half a can of Sprite for me in case I wanted to break into the stash and help myself.
Half a can of Sprite??? But did she leave you any rum???

I can't even imagine... I just couldn't stand being in the room all afternoon like that. I'd definitely be stir crazy!

Landon was crying, I was crying, my mom was running around like a madwoman, trying to clean our table off so we could run out the door.

Hands down, that moment was the worst Disney moment I’ve ever had.

I hated it. Not even going to sugar coat it. It made me homesick and over the vacation.
I feel your pain. I have the memory of running out of DHS with DS screaming like his life was in jeopardy during his first trip.

Not as bad as your incident. I mean, it wasn't in a restaurant. But feeling everyone staring at you as you're trying to calm him down and get him out of there.... yeah, not fun. And I am reminded of that moment whenever we walk down Sunset Blvd...

My mom, bless her heart, had to pull out her mom skills and calm me down. She was using her Mom radar and was seeing how over everything I was. We talked for a long while and got Landon to go to sleep (albeit in my bed and not in the Pack and Play) and once the worst of the storm had passed, my mom told me I should go to a park by myself for a little while the following morning. She said that was going to be the best thing for me, and that I deserved a break from the kiddo for a few hours. I hadn’t gotten any time away from him since Alex had left a month prior (aside from a quick trip here and there) and she said I needed that mom-free time.
Your mom... you're lucky to have her. I know that was just what you needed at that point in time. And the Mickey Ice Cream bar that she got for you was a nice touch as well.

I hope that you do get some solo time and that it makes up for some of the stress.

P. 9- So I am all the way back on your December mini-trip to Pop and SW, but not Disney. Oh wait, you are going to make it to the Christmas party.

:woohoo:

Fun update and I loved your descriptions of Landon at AoA

And the evolution of not going to a park, to considering Shades of Green tickets to getting the party tickets.

That is funny about trying to avoid the Mouse. Hmmmm... Good luck with that!

p. 10 Party Time!

I am so glad most things went so well for you at the party!

That is a very cute picture of you, Landon and your mom at Dumbo. Guess what! Landon rode Dumbo before I ever did. My first ride was in June.

Good job avoiding Mickey Mouse in the parade! PHEW!

Boo to the woman near you at the curb. Seriously! But good for you for not letting it get under your skin and ruining your good time watching the projection show and Wishes. How cute that Landon loved the castle show, and I agree that the picture of the fireworks in Landon's glasses is awesome!

:santa:

P. 10 Sea World

A little part of me died when I spent 3 dollars on two teeny tiny bananas.

Ha Ha! Love this. I feel the exact same way when I have to pay theme-park prices for things that are much less expensive at home!

Good for you for braving Manta! I love the pre and post ride selfies!

I think I have been on that once. It was fun, but like you, it was a bit disconcerting and I think I need another ride on it to really enjoy the experience.

:fish:

Hugs,:hug: poor Landon, poor you. So glad your Mom was there to give you some alone time. I've been there... at Disney... with a 5 yo melting down, throwing off his shoes.... me racing for the exit. :faint:
Wow! Did I read that right? only two months until your new sweetie is born? Looking forward to reading about your solo morning.

This is like reading a "toddler thriller;" I'm kind of on the edge of my seat waiting to hear that everyone survives! (Even though I know you did, and there will be a happy ending to the story.)

Haha, life with a toddler is never dull, that's for sure. Landon certainly made that Disney trip memorable. I don't think I'll ever let him forget about his moment in the AKL food court.

They sat us at that table on our first visit. Felt a little odd and we asked for our own table the next visit. Good view of the pizza ovens from there, though.

Sweet! :thumbsup2

:idea:

Good choice! Love that one!

You gotta do what you gotta do. Strangely, I don't think I've ever given Izzy my phone at a restaurant meal (though I've shown her pictures sometimes), but most nights at home, she eats dinner with a background of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on TV while I play on my phone and eat. :o (Yeah, bad habit we got into).

I think I'd be going stir-crazy too. :faint:

That whole thing sounds awful! Sorry you had to deal with that! I guess I was lucky we were behind closed doors with the bathroom fiasco!

What a great mom!

Yep, a GREAT mom! :thumbsup2

I now use nursery songs on the iPad to get Landon to sit and let me go for my walks on the treadmill. Since I have to do it twice a day and Alex is usually working during my after-lunch one, that was the easiest solution. Yet another reason I regret not being 8 months pregnant in a cooler month. Would make walking outside possible!

I think any meltdown in a public place, behind closed doors or not, is stressful and hard and just a moment everyone wishes they could forget about. Landon's situation definitely made me feel even more sympathy to parents going through the same thing when I see it.

Meh. Sorry but I have 2 or three awesome pizza places here at home. The noise and chaos of Via Napoli does nothing for me.

maybe on the dining plan? :confused3

::yes:: Same with Little Miss.

I've learned to never say never.

::yes::

:rotfl: Awa your almost to the end point.

Hey at least you got food in him!

Significantly less stimulus.

There are worse places.

What a good Momma! and really sometimes that is exactly what you need. A few hours just your own to be in the quite.

I agree that the noise at Via could be a negative. I never paid much attention to it because I'm usually engrossed in my pizza, but thinking about it, yeah, the place is really loud.

I have no idea about the kid's meal. We weren't on the Dining Plan, but we were using my Annual Pass discount, so who knows...

True. Food was food at that point. Not to mention, the whipped cream allowed for a few minutes of peace while we enjoyed a happy baby. Totally worth the sugar for that!

Great choice for a birthday meal.

That's nice! I've had similar situations happen at a few places, where they bring DD something even though we didn't order it. I think it might be one of those unspoken perks. I mean, essentially you're supposed to share with the ones under 3, but sometimes they just aren't going to eat what mom and dad want to eat. We've been given a bowl of mac & cheese or something like that and not charged for it.

Well, no matter how, grump, upset, bad you feel... you just can't turn down dessert. Especially when it is piled with whipped cream.

I thought you'd approve of the restaurant choice. You and Kristy understand and agree with my love of all things Via Napoli.

I feel that way and I've never lived in Florida. But on a nice day in EPCOT... or really any other park, I kind of want to find a spot in one of the buildings along one of the less crowded walkways where I could just move in.

::yes:: I'm glad you had a chance to talk to him. I'm sure you needed it. Aren't you glad we live in an age when you can Facetime with him?

I've lived in a lot of places throughout my life and I can say that so far, nothing comes as close to being nice as Florida. Now that the time to potentially get orders is getting really close, I'm realizing how much I'll miss this state.

I don't know how my mom did it when my dad deployed. I remember he had to do a year long stint in Korea and I just cannot fathom only having letters and the occassional phone call to keep me in contact with Alex. When he first left, there was about a 3 day period where he was out of contact due to traveling and I was on edge the whole time. I'm extremely fortunate to have modern conveniences.

I can see this. It was probably something positive and nice from back home that he could think about and focus on. When he's actually on the trip, well, there's too much going on and a lot of fun to be had. He knows you've got the details under control.

That's how you do vacation.

Half a can of Sprite??? But did she leave you any rum???

Haha, she did indeed. And there was another bottle in our bag if needed.

I can't even imagine... I just couldn't stand being in the room all afternoon like that. I'd definitely be stir crazy!

I feel your pain. I have the memory of running out of DHS with DS screaming like his life was in jeopardy during his first trip.

Not as bad as your incident. I mean, it wasn't in a restaurant. But feeling everyone staring at you as you're trying to calm him down and get him out of there.... yeah, not fun. And I am reminded of that moment whenever we walk down Sunset Blvd...

Your mom... you're lucky to have her. I know that was just what you needed at that point in time. And the Mickey Ice Cream bar that she got for you was a nice touch as well.

I hope that you do get some solo time and that it makes up for some of the stress.

Ugh, that moment was definitely memorable. I always remind Alex that he never had to experience that kind of meltdown. Although, now when Landon has a moment at home it seems like nothing to me. I've gotten a thicker skin since then.

I was very fortunate to have my mom around to help me, both on this trip and throughout Alex's deployment. I don't know how some folks survive without family and friends during that time!

P. 9- So I am all the way back on your December mini-trip to Pop and SW, but not Disney. Oh wait, you are going to make it to the Christmas party.

:woohoo:

Fun update and I loved your descriptions of Landon at AoA

And the evolution of not going to a park, to considering Shades of Green tickets to getting the party tickets.

That is funny about trying to avoid the Mouse. Hmmmm... Good luck with that!

I really did think my mom and I would be able to hold out on anything Disney while we stayed at Pop. But then we got on property, fell victim to the Disney atmosphere and magic, and we just couldn't resist. Not to mention, the weather was actually cool for a change, something my mom had never had before, and we kept seeing all these people wearing party attire. It was impossible to not get pulled into a park.

p. 10 Party Time!

I am so glad most things went so well for you at the party!

That is a very cute picture of you, Landon and your mom at Dumbo. Guess what! Landon rode Dumbo before I ever did. My first ride was in June.

Good job avoiding Mickey Mouse in the parade! PHEW!

Boo to the woman near you at the curb. Seriously! But good for you for not letting it get under your skin and ruining your good time watching the projection show and Wishes. How cute that Landon loved the castle show, and I agree that the picture of the fireworks in Landon's glasses is awesome!

:santa:

P. 10 Sea World

Ha Ha! Love this. I feel the exact same way when I have to pay theme-park prices for things that are much less expensive at home!

Good for you for braving Manta! I love the pre and post ride selfies!

I think I have been on that once. It was fun, but like you, it was a bit disconcerting and I think I need another ride on it to really enjoy the experience.

:fish:

Haha, he did! I actually had that thought when you talked about Dumbo in your trip report. If it's any consolation, I just saw the Tiki Room in 2014. I think most people have an attraction or two that they just skip over without meaning to.

I was really proud of myself for riding Manta by myself, and now I want to go on it again. I much prefer those sorts of coasters to the traditional ones like Kraken.

Hugs,:hug: poor Landon, poor you. So glad your Mom was there to give you some alone time. I've been there... at Disney... with a 5 yo melting down, throwing off his shoes.... me racing for the exit. :faint:
Wow! Did I read that right? only two months until your new sweetie is born? Looking forward to reading about your solo morning.

I think when you take kids anywhere, whether it's to Disney or to the grocery store, you risk encountering a meltdown in public. Just comes with the job, I suppose.

Yep, the newest member should be here sometime next month. Could be at the end of the month, but still next month! I have wanted to write more updates, but I've entered that, "Oh my goodness I've got to get everything ready before the big day arrives!" I forgot how much stuff a newborn has and how much laundry they require.

YAY!! Oh I love Via Napoli!
That was nice of them to bring out some spaghetti for Landon! Glad you had a good meal there (hard not to!) Too bad poor Landon wasn't feeling it. Not good that he wouldn't eat, something is always up when one doesn't have a normal appetite.
I agree, a weekend just to hang around AKL would be amazing!
Oh no! Poor Landon, poor Alicia! I'm sure your mom being there with you must have been an enormous comfort in a rough situation.

YAY!! Oh I love Via Napoli!
That was nice of them to bring out some spaghetti for Landon! Glad you had a good meal there (hard not to!) Too bad poor Landon wasn't feeling it. Not good that he wouldn't eat, something is always up when one doesn't have a normal appetite.
I agree, a weekend just to hang around AKL would be amazing!
Oh no! Poor Landon, poor Alicia! I'm sure your mom being there with you must have been an enormous comfort in a rough situation.

If many more of us TR writers fall in love with Via, we're going to have to form a fan club or something. I think the restaurant gets one of two reactions. People either think it was MEH or they absolutely love it.

I can still remember reading your TR with your AKL photos and getting so excited about my upcoming May trip. I was practically bursting at the seams seeing the resort in such nice pictures.

August 20th, 2014:

Landon slept moderately better during the night, but it still wasn’t as good as it could have been.

No matter.

I was planning on heading out to a park…ALONE.

My mom and I were up and functioning right before the sunrise, and our early start was rewarded by the coolest sight outside our balcony.

All the animals – but most importantly, the giraffes – had used the grassy area in our line of sight as their beds for the night! How unbelievably awesome!

My mom and I sat outside and drank our coffees and watched as they began to wake up and stir.

I might not have gotten to go into a park the previous evening or had the chance to ride a lot of attractions on the trip, but my time on the balcony completely made up for that discrepancy. It was an experience you couldn’t get many other places. To watch giraffes and zebras and birds begin their day was mind boggling. If I didn’t love Animal Kingdom Lodge before…that right there solidified it.

My mom and I tried to get some photos of each other as proof that we experienced this peaceful animal moment.

However, my skills at taking photographs with almost no light and a small background proved to be minimal. Well, none is more like it.

Whatever.

We were watching giraffes.

Lots of giraffes.

Who cared?

I hated to have an event beat my last stay at AKL, since that one was with Alex and our first time in a non-Value Disney resort, but that morning kind of swept everything else under the rug. I don’t think I could ever stay at the resort again and have an even cooler sighting.

I couldn’t stop taking pictures!

Eventually, my mom had to remind me that I had a park opening to get to and that I needed to get going.

I gave Landon some hugs and kisses and quietly told him not to give his grandma too much trouble and headed out to the bus stop.

With just my camera and a purse for water and chapstick.

Ahhhh! The freedom of being hands free and portable.

No big diaper bag, no stroller, no kid to carry!

I could walk so fast!

I made it to the bus stop in seconds. (That’s what it felt like in comparison to my normal morning treks.)

The night before, as Landon fitfully dozed next to me and I gobbled down my ice cream bar, I thought about where I wanted to spend my few free hours. Initially, I picked the Magic Kingdom. I could have gone on standby for Mine Train, since I didn’t have anyone waiting on me. And I could have hit up my favorite attractions as much as I wanted. I could have even grabbed a Dole Whip on my way out.

The mental image of solo time in the Magic Kingdom was appealing, but in the end I figured it’d be better for me to visit a park I wasn’t planning on going to with Landon and my mom.

And Disney’s Hollywood Studios had one massive incentive.

Rock N Roller Coaster!

I reserved a Fastpass for both that and Toy Story Mania and immediately envisioned myself riding single rider as many times as humanely possible until I had gotten my coaster fix.

A perk to being solo? Managing to squeeze onto the bus when it was mostly full. Just needed enough room to stand! Enabling me to get to the ticket line in no time at all.

It was going to be a good day.

It had to be. Look at that bright blue sky.

The Frozen Summer Fun was happening for the first time that year (yeah, this report is that old) so the park was letting guests through the ticket areas and holding everyone farther into the park.

While I was moderately interested in the opening show, if only because it was a special event put on by Disney, I wanted to be closer to Rock N Roller Coaster to beat as much of the crowd as possible.

Off to Sunset Blvd I went!

Cast Members held us up about halfway down the street until it was officially park opening.

I was walking down the middle of the street when I came to the roped off area, and being the Florida native I am, I had a moment of inspiration. I looked around me, saw that to my left the sidewalk area was still empty.

I looked around, found a palm tree, looked up at the sun, and checked my phone for the time.

Then I made a brilliant decision.

I moved over to stand right next to the tree in its shadow, getting far enough ahead of it so that in my ten minute wait the shadow wouldn’t move far enough away from me.

Haha!

It sounds crazy, but I felt like a genius doing that. It was insanely hot out already, and there was no escaping the bright sun when you just had to stand there. Add a bunch of warm bodies piled in side by side and things got uncomfortable really quick.

I felt brilliant getting a little bit of shade. Although, I actually did have a mother and teenage daughter complain in my earshot about how I got to be out of the sun.

Uhm…I’m sorry I staked out a wise spot instead of just stopping where the crowds led me to? I think they actually expected me to move forward out of the shade, too, so that they could take it, because there was some dead space in front of me.

Sorry.

I’m not that nice right now.

Spent two days dealing with an obviously upset toddler.

Going to be selfish and take this little break.

9 am rolled around and I could hear an opening spewl from Olaf behind me. I think he was officially starting the Frozen Summer Fun.

The Cast Members let us through shortly after it began, and I followed the huge wave of people headed to Rock N Roller Coaster. I was a little surprised by how many people were going to the same place as me. I thought for sure everyone would be making the usual mad dash to TSMM. But it seemed like the park that day was more crowded than normal.

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Everyone was stopped in that open area right before the ride entrance.

I just assumed they hadn’t opened the attraction yet.

As soon as I got into the semi-line that begun to form, I spotted a familiar face.

Jacquie!

We were able to say hello once again and chat for a few while we both waited for everyone to be allowed on RNRC. She was, once again, the nicest person in the world, and we talked about Alex and being in the military and what the deployment was like. Unlike some people, Jacquie seemed like she genuinely cared about what answers I gave for her questions, and I felt like I could’ve stood there and talked to her for hours. This was her second day at the Studios, and she told me a little bit about The Frozen specials that went on. She recapped the opening show (which I was glad I skipped after hearing about it) and told me to stop by Wandering Oaks, that it had some cute stuff inside.

While we were talking, one of her party members heard from other people that Rock N Roller Coaster was officially down for the moment. Technical difficulties.

What?!?!

But….but….that was the whole reason I came to DHS!

It couldn’t be closed!

I had no baby!

No husband!

No obligations!

Dang…

I then had a decision to make. I could stay in the park and use my Fastpass for Toy Story Mania, or I could leave and catch a bus to the Magic Kingdom and try my luck there. To be honest, I’d have rather made my way to the park that had some of my other favorites, but I calculated the time it would take to leave DHS, take a bus, go through another bag check, and then walk to my destinations, and I figured out I’d have barely any time left to do anything. I promised my mom I’d be back before lunchtime, and since it was already past 9 am, I was kind of forced to stay where I was.

I just had to rethink my plan of attack for the morning.

Up Next….Do all the Shopping, Buy all the Pins

Last edited:
All the animals – but most importantly, the giraffes – had used the grassy area in our line of sight as their beds for the night! How unbelievably awesome!
Ok, that's a pretty huge benefit of staying at AKL.

I might not have gotten to go into a park the previous evening or had the chance to ride a lot of attractions on the trip, but my time on the balcony completely made up for that discrepancy. It was an experience you couldn’t get many other places. To watch giraffes and zebras and birds begin their day was mind boggling. If I didn’t love Animal Kingdom Lodge before…that right there solidified it.
I'm glad you had this experience to kind of re-charge you after a less than stellar day. Not a bad way at all to wake up and start things off fresh.

Eventually, my mom had to remind me that I had a park opening to get to and that I needed to get going.
Um yeah... solo park time!! Giraffes are cool and everything, but you don't want to miss rope drop.

I could walk so fast!
It will ruin you forever. But it is so nice to have that freedom!

The night before, as Landon fitfully dozed next to me and I gobbled down my ice cream bar, I thought about where I wanted to spend my few free hours. Initially, I picked the Magic Kingdom. I could have gone on standby for Mine Train, since I didn’t have anyone waiting on me. And I could have hit up my favorite attractions as much as I wanted. I could have even grabbed a Dole Whip on my way out.
I can completely see this logic. I'd tend to feel the same.

The mental image of solo time in the Magic Kingdom was appealing, but in the end I figured it’d be better for me to visit a park I wasn’t planning on going to with Landon and my mom.

And Disney’s Hollywood Studios had one massive incentive.

Rock N Roller Coaster!
But this argument wins, hands down!

I felt brilliant getting a little bit of shade. Although, I actually did have a mother and teenage daughter complain in my earshot about how I got to be out of the sun.
It was definitely a smart move on your part. And I'd have been extremely tempted to make them aware of that fact.

I thought for sure everyone would be making the usual mad dash to TSMM. But it seemed like the park that day was more crowded than normal.
I thought that first picture you posted looking down Sunset Blvd looked exceptionally crowded for an early morning crowd.

I then had a decision to make. I could stay in the park and use my Fastpass for Toy Story Mania, or I could leave and catch a bus to the Magic Kingdom and try my luck there. To be honest, I’d have rather made my way to the park that had some of my other favorites, but I calculated the time it would take to leave DHS, take a bus, go through another bag check, and then walk to my destinations, and I figured out I’d have barely any time left to do anything. I promised my mom I’d be back before lunchtime, and since it was already past 9 am, I was kind of forced to stay where I was.
That really stinks! I hope RnRC opens back up and you can salvage the day.

Wow! That is one amazing view. My kids would LOVE waking up to that sight. AKL has moved up my list big time, we usually stay value though, but have recently moved up to moderates. (I did stay in the AK villa once when I went with a group, but not with my family) one day... one day ;-) Sounds like a nice morning despite RnR being down. Can't wait to read about your solo shopping, I think shopping is the hardest thing with kids, I would love to browse the shops without my kids.

I was planning on heading out to a park…ALONE.
:cool1: :woohoo:

That is an awesome way to start your day! :thumbsup2

It's right up there with the Poly as our favorite resort. Gotta get back there someday! It really is fantastic to just hang out on those balconies. :cloud9:

I could walk so fast!
Haha, I can relate! :goodvibes

Uhm…I’m sorry I staked out a wise spot instead of just stopping where the crowds led me to? I think they actually expected me to move forward out of the shade, too, so that they could take it, because there was some dead space in front of me.
Smart of you to take advantage of that shade. Annoying that others have to gripe about it. :sad2:

The Cast Members let us through shortly after it began, and I followed the huge wave of people headed to Rock N Roller Coaster. I was a little surprised by how many people were going to the same place as me. I thought for sure everyone would be making the usual mad dash to TSMM. But it seemed like the park that day was more crowded than normal.
I'm thinking it might be due to RnRC being Tier 1 along with TSMM, so everyone needs to ride it standby. Sorry it was down, I hope you get to ride it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter