Less expensive meals

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by mnlovesdisney, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mnlovesdisney

mnlovesdisney Mouseketeer

After checking prices at Disney restaurants and getting sticker shock, I'm looking for some off-property restaurants that would be less expensive. Anyone have any suggestions for places near Downtown Disney?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Marionnette

Marionnette Children see magic because they look for it

There are plenty of places to "eat cheap" both in Disney and offsite. The question would be, what kind of meal are you looking for?

Do you want an all-you-can-eat buffet, cheap but filling? Are you looking for casual dining more in line with Olive Garden or other franchises? Or maybe dinner and entertainment along the lines of Medieval Times? Or are you looking for unique, fine dining experiences like Emeril's?

4. Teresa Pitman

Teresa Pitman Disney Grandma

Our favourite place is Sweet Tomatoes, which is quite close to DTD. If you google them and sign up, they will send you coupons.

Teresa

5. TLPL

TLPL DIS Veteran

Has anyone tried to walk to Sweet Tomates from DTD? how long does it takes?

6. lastminutemom

lastminutemom DIS Veteran

At Disney World, in my opinion, because of the high ticket prices, time can be money as well. If you are there when the park hours are not long, if you leave to get lunch, for example, you are burning valuable park time. In the same scenario, if you stay all day and then go out to dinner, that may work.

Just my two cents.

7. mrsklamc

mrsklamc <font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what

Giordano's pizza. Yum. (don't know about close to DTD but I think they deliver.)

8. DawnM

DawnM Dawn

About a mile each way.

You aren't going to find anything closer and walking would be difficult and take quite a bit of time.

Dawn

9. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

I agree with you.:)

OP--you can always pack meals and bring them into the parks with you. The only thing they don't allow to be brought in is glass, alcohol, and in the Animal Kingdom they don't allow straws. Otherwise you can bring in food. That way you save money and time.

10. SunnieRN

SunnieRN DIS Veteran

I agree, Giordanos is the bomb and often you can get coupons from Restaurant.com.

The pizza is great! The staff was friendly. The restaurant was clean!! Win, win in my book!!

11. VAfamily1998

VAfamily1998 DIS Veteran

We did that our last trip. We stayed off site in a 2 bedroom villa with full kitchen, and were there in mid November so the parks weren't open very early/very late.

We ate our breakfasts in the room in the morning, then we would bring sandwiches/drinks/fruit/cookies with us into the park. We just put the food in lunch boxes and put them in our backpack (we carried just one large backpack for our family of 6--2 adults and kids ages 3, 5, 7, and 9).

We'd eat one meal in a park restuarant, and one meal was our picnic. Most of the time, we just found a bench and ate there. However, in the Magic Kingdom, on Tom Sawyer Island, we just happened upon a picnic bench...just all by itself. It was getting close to lunch anyway so we just stopped there and ate our picnic.

12. jacksmom

jacksmom DIS Veteran

We loooooove Sweet Tomatoes!:banana: We eat there several times each trip!

13. dougsmom98

dougsmom98 DIS Veteran

For an inexpensive lunch/dinner try Steak N' Shake. They have amazing shakes and lots of burger meals for less than $5. Here is a link to their menu
    http://www.steaknshake.com/menu/the-original-steakburger/

We have never been, but I think that Ponderosa has a breakfast buffet for $3.99 or $4.99.

We always get Krispy Kreme donuts when we go to WDW. It's not the healthiest breakfast but they are so good and less expensive than eating at a restaurant.

We enjoy the Golden Corrall buffet. If you go before 4 pm, it is a little less expensive. My family loves the steak that they cook to order. I love their chocolate ganache cake and their carrot cake.

Here is a link to a thread in the Orlando Hotels and Attractions forum that has a suggested off site restaurants.
    http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=498998&highlight=offsite+restaurants

14. mnlovesdisney

mnlovesdisney Mouseketeer

Thanks for tips. We will be staying at Old Key West and probably cooking some of our own meals, but want to eat out as well without it costing an arm and a leg. Son loves deep dish pizza, so Giordanno's is a place we may have to try. All suggests appreciated.

15. BobbyBudnick

BobbyBudnick Earning My Ears

Miller's Ale House and Bahama Breeze are both great places. Very close to downtown disney.