Les Miserables Lovers...3rd UPDATE 10/18: Movie Dates!

I know the feeling! I took this a few weeks ago. It's most - but not all - of my Les Mis stuff!

lesmizstuff.jpg

I also have two other recordings on my iPod that I don't have physical CDs for, a poster signed by one of the Broadway casts that I bought during a BC/EFA fundraiser, the 10th Anniversary DVD (which my sister borrowed), and a t-shirt that I got when I saw the show in London.

I need an intervention... :lmao:

OOOOOOOhhhhhh!!!! Les Mis goodies! I'm so jealous! :) I have the Original London Cast CD set (which I put on my iPhone) and the 10th and 25th DVDs. I do want a T-shirt. :)

I'm just so sad I that missed out on it all this time.

No intervention needed -- you have could much worse additions!

OOOOOOOhhhhhh!!!! Les Mis goodies! I'm so jealous! :) I have the Original London Cast CD set (which I put on my iPhone) and the 10th and 25th DVDs. I do want a T-shirt. :)

I'm just so sad I that missed out on it all this time.

No intervention needed -- you have could much worse additions!

True! And no worries - it never too late to become a fan! :thumbsup2

That collection started back in 1989, when I first saw the show on Broadway, so it took awhile.

And now there's a new movie soundtrack coming out, and there's a coffee-table book about the making of the movie coming out this spring. And eventually the DVD of the movie. It's never going to end...and for that, I am grateful.

You should definitely check out some of the other recordings. The complete symphonic recording is great because it's the full version of the show (it's 3 CDs long!). Parts have been trimmed down over the years, so I think it's the only complete recording. The 2010 recording is great too, I'm addicted to that one at the moment.

I need an intervention... :lmao:

What? No sweatshirt? :lmao:

That's some stash. :thumbsup2 You look like me with all my Star Trek/Star Wars memorabilia. :blush:

I think you are determined to like the Les Mis movie no matter what. It's a done deal for you. :cloud9: :)

True! And no worries - it never too late to become a fan! :thumbsup2

That collection started back in 1989, when I first saw the show on Broadway, so it took awhile.

And now there's a new movie soundtrack coming out, and there's a coffee-table book about the making of the movie coming out this spring. And eventually the DVD of the movie. It's never going to end...and for that, I am grateful.

You should definitely check out some of the other recordings. The complete symphonic recording is great because it's the full version of the show (it's 3 CDs long!). Parts have been trimmed down over the years, so I think it's the only complete recording. The 2010 recording is great too, I'm addicted to that one at the moment.

I will definitely want the movie soundtrack -- didn't know about the book. Add that to my list of "I want." And, of course the DVD.

Who was in the cast you saw on Broadway? I'd give my right arm and anything else required to have seen Colm Wilkinson anywhere.

What? No sweatshirt? :lmao:

That's some stash. :thumbsup2 You look like me with all my Star Trek/Star Wars memorabilia. :blush:

I think you are determined to like the Les Mis movie no matter what. It's a done deal for you. :cloud9: :)

I had the sweatshirt! I wore that one out years ago... :rotfl:

And my Star Wars collection puts the Les Mis one to shame.

I can't wait for the movie! Already have my tickets.

I will definitely want the movie soundtrack -- didn't know about the book. Add that to my list of "I want." And, of course the DVD.

Who was in the cast you saw on Broadway? I'd give my right arm and anything else required to have seen Colm Wilkinson anywhere.

Yep, there's a book coming out in April. It's already up on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Misérables-St...id=1354822163&sr=1-13&keywords=les+miserables

I never saw Colm Wilkinson (Imzadi did!). My first Jean Valjean was William Solo, who also plays Feuilly on the complete symphonic recording. Every time I hear his solo on 'Do You Hear the People Sing?', I hear his Valjean. He was amazing.

My other favorite on Broadway was Craig Schulman. I saw him twice. He's in the 10th Anniversary concert - he's the American Valjean at the end of the finale with all the international Valjeans.

I also saw J. Mark McVey, Donn Cook, Randall Keith...I'll have to check my Playbills for the rest.

I had the sweatshirt! I wore that one out years ago... :rotfl:

I did that with my A Chorus Line t-shirt. :rotfl: I remember buying it and it was distinctly grey. Well, decades later, when I finally had to trash it as it was completely falling apart, the sleeves & neckline were cut off into a more dancer's cut (like in Flashdance,) and it was a pink-beige color. :lmao: Somewhere along the way, it accidentally got bleached then accidentally tossed in a pile of red clothes in the wash.

I never saw Colm Wilkinson (Imzadi did!). My first Jean Valjean was William Solo, who also plays Feuilly on the complete symphonic recording. Every time I hear his solo on 'Do You Hear the People Sing?', I hear his Valjean. He was amazing.

My other favorite on Broadway was Craig Schulman. I saw him twice.

Hey! I saw Craig Schulman once, too. Wow, that would be a hoot if we actually sat in the audience at the same time together. :crowded::hyper2::crowded:

Another excellent review:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ooper-and-starring-anne-hathaway-8390395.html

First night review: Les Miserables, directed by Tom Hooper and starring Anne Hathaway

The impact of Hathaway as Fantine is even greater than on the stage, so overwhelming, literally, is the performance

In 1862, Victor Hugo wrote the book. In 1985, Alain Boublil and Claude Michel Schonberg wrote the show. And in 2012, Tom Hooper directed the movie.

To say that Les Miserables is going to be a hit is putting it mildly. Unlike the opening night of Trevor Nunn’s Barbican production, which produced poor reviews but staggering box office, this new production – which gives the characters of Jean Valjean, Fantine, Cosette a forever life – is going to go down in history for the way it tells a musical tale on the big screen.

A cast, that includes Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Crowe and Eddie Redmayne, sing their dialogue rather than speak it – as they do in the musical, which was the first ‘through-sung’ – with a director, Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech), who made this movie on the condition that his actors were allowed to sing live for the camera (ear-pieces attached to a nearby piano, following them).

The result is performances that are raw, real and devastating in their emotional punch; a camera stays tight on Anne Hathaway’s Fantine for the entire 3 minutes of her "I Dreamed A Dream" and, if at all possible, the impact is even greater than on the stage, so overwhelming, literally, is the performance.

Not only has Hooper cast so well – Hugh Jackman, Eddie Redmayne, Samantha Banks and Amanda Seyfried are natural singers so they power the story along – but he composes so well; great set numbers like At The End Of The Day or Master Of The House are transposed to the screen with sensitivity, imagination, and supreme craftsmanship - bringing to a much larger and more vivid life than has ever been possible before, the story of Victor Hugo’s everyman, Jean Valjean, who once made the mistake of stealing a mouthful of bread and went on to experience redemption during the 1832 Paris Uprising.

Hugo’s voice is present throughout – for those who’ve read the book – as is new material from Alain Boublil and Claude Michel Schoenberg, who give Valjean a new song to accompany his journey with the young Cosette, having saved her from the rotten Thernardiers (brilliantly delivered by Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen, the only character who gets new lines: “Colette? Courgette? Cosette?”).

Cameron Mackintosh and Alain Boublil and Claude Michel Schoenberg have waited 27 years to make this show into a movie, with directors including Steven Spielberg variously vying for the gig. They were right to wait and right to pounce on Tom Hooper when he came along. He’s reinvented the movie musical and created a whole new generation of Les Mis lovers. It’s a dream nobody could have dreamed.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

28645313.png

Sorry -- I'm sort of crushing on Colm. Listening to "Who Am I" right now. :)

He's going to be in the movie too, he's playing the Bishop.

There are a few new behind-the-scenes features up, lots of clips from the movie:

Production Design:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2DuvXvJFL8&list=ULjd5ffc48RJU

Hair and Makeup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js6kUkBoe34

About the new song, "Suddenly", which I watched with the sound off because I don't want to hear the new song until I see the movie. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FenjTgqaQ6Q

He's going to be in the movie too, he's playing the Bishop.

There are a few new behind-the-scenes features up, lots of clips from the movie:

Production Design:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2DuvXvJFL8&list=ULjd5ffc48RJU

Hair and Makeup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js6kUkBoe34

About the new song, "Suddenly", which I watched with the sound off because I don't want to hear the new song until I see the movie. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FenjTgqaQ6Q

The set designers and makeup artists are amazing! Can you imagine getting to do that as a job? :wizard:

And I knew Colm was going to be the Bishop, but you can hear his voice and immediately know who he is before he's shown on screen.

I cheated and listened to the commentary and the new song (patience is not one of my virtues). :) Without spoiling anything . . . I think you'll be pleased.

So Russell Crowe's band played two shows at Joe's Pub in NYC last night. Hugh Jackman turned up for the second show...and look what happened!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlYVHOUa3Vo&feature=youtu.be

That's the first version of that song that left me wanting to hold up a lighter. :rotfl:

Samantha Barks was there as well, and they all performed "Fairytale of New York", which was amazing...but it has a couple of words that I don't think can be posted here, so check it out on YouTube, it's there!

Since the premiere is in NY tomorrow night, the cast is doing tons of talk shows this week. Tonight, Hugh was profiled on 60 Minutes. The part that aired is here, and the extra segment - which features a ton of clips showing how the songs were sung live, including Bring Him Home, In My Life, Confrontation - are here.

Hugh, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, and Samantha Barks will be on the Today Show tomorrow. Hugh is also going to be on Kelly & Michael's show tomorrow morning, and Anne will be on Letterman tomorrow night.

And that's just Monday. Odds are, if you're watching a talk show this week, you're gonna see someone from Les Mis. ;)

Since the premiere is in NY tomorrow night, the cast is doing tons of talk shows this week. Tonight, Hugh was profiled on 60 Minutes. The part that aired is here, and the extra segment - which features a ton of clips showing how the songs were sung live, including Bring Him Home, In My Life, Confrontation - are here.

Hugh, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, and Samantha Barks will be on the Today Show tomorrow. Hugh is also going to be on Kelly & Michael's show tomorrow morning, and Anne will be on Letterman tomorrow night.

And that's just Monday. Odds are, if you're watching a talk show this week, you're gonna see someone from Les Mis. ;)

Today is the day the SAG Award nomination ballots have to be in. They can submit online until 3pm ET. So they are "coincidentally" doing a last minute push to get votes.

My friend on the Sag Awards nominating committee got a screener of the movie in the mail last week. She said we won't look at it again till later in the week. She's all "movied out" for a while. There were so many films sent to her to be considered, she had to watch 2-3 movies a night! :crazy2: She said it was like doing English Lit homework, when she was assigned to see certain movies for class, whether she was really interested in seeing it or not. :eek:

Of the ones I got to watch with her, (or see at private SAG screenings,) these are my favorite in order:

Zero Dark Thirty - this will be the one to beat at the Oscars. I really, really wanted to see this one. It isn't out in the theatres yet. It's sweeping all the awards. It got New York Film Critics Circle, National Board of Review, Boston Film Critics and New York Online Critics as the Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association awards for Best Film, with Kathryn Bigelow as Best Director.

It's the 10 year long hunt for Osama Bin Laden, but it's not in normal, dry documentary format. It follows the one woman on the CIA whose tenacity was responsible for finding Bin Laden & bringing him down. To me, because of the subject matter, it is one of the most important, current movies out and every American should see it. There is some extreme violence during the first 30 minutes showing what it took to get information, (think Abu Ghraib,) but as an American & a NYer, I am proud of the movie. I also thought the film handled the Seal Team 6's take down of Bin Laden well, without being needlessly gratuitous, doing something to inflame our enemies who will be incensed & inflamed anyway. :rolleyes: How accurate & close to the truth, remains to be seen as most of the info is supposed to be classified. :ssst:

Lincoln - maybe I'm just in a patriotic mood, but I really liked this film. Daniel Day Lewis was excellent, and should get all the awards for Best Actor (IMO). Sally Field should be nominated for Best supporting actress. The film made me misty-eyed at the end and proud (again) of being an American. :yay:

Les Miserable - comes in third. But, that's because of Russell Crowe's weak singing, and I already admitted/realized that I'm a Les Mis (Colm Wilkinson) purist and I prefer his interpretation to how Hugh Jackman did it. Anne Hathaway will squeeze out Sally Field and win the Best Supporting Actress Award. (A little FYI: It didn't even make the top three picks for the New York Film Critics Circle Awards. Maybe they are all snobby NY Broadway show purists too? :lmao: ) I do think it should win for Best Ensemble.

Silver Linings Playbook - rounds out my top picks. I hated the description of the film and almost didn't see it. But, it turned out to be such a "feel good" movie. :cloud9: I actually liked it a lot. :thumbsup2 Best acting by Robert DeNiro in decades. To me, Jennifer Lawrence edges out Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty,) for the win for Best Actress.

THANKS for all the clips, Jen!

I am LOVING this!!

So excited for the movie!! :banana:

Me too! Two more weeks!

I checked out the premiere tonight at the Zeigfeld. I checked it out last week before the premiere for The Hobbit and got to see almost the entire cast (which was awesome!), so I tried my luck again tonight for Les Mis.

I saw: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Samantha Barks, Eddie Redmayne, Aaron Tveit, Sacha Baron Cohen, and both of the kids: Isabelle Allen and Daniel Huttlestone, who were so tiny (and adorable!).

Granted, I saw them from across the street with the rest of the onlookers, and they were all on the red carpet being mobbed by reporters, which was under a clear plastic tent...but I got to see just about everybody, which was awesome!

I also so Cameron Mackintosh and Alain Boublil, as well as Norm Lewis from the 25th Anniversary concert (who also played Javert on Broadway). Plus Russell Crowe's bandmates were there: Alan Doyle, Kevin Durand, and Scott Grimes.

It was so cool! :cool1:

Here's some of the pictures I got tonight. Again, I was across the street, and the red carpet was under a tent...so this is as good as they get. :rotfl:

Tom Hooper, Hugh Jackman, and Anne Hathaway:
PC100068.jpg

That blurry smiling image behind Tom Hooper is Russell Crowe:
PC100071.jpg

Sacha Baron Cohen:
PC100056.jpg

Eddie Redmayne:
PC100052.jpg

Samantha Barks:
PC100045.jpg

Aaron Tveit:
PC100034.jpg

This was a picture I was trying to get of Hugh before that cab moved. I didn't realized until later that Amanda Seyfried was right next to him. :rotfl:
PC100059.jpg

These are only pictures I was able to get of the kids. You can just barely see Isabelle Allen to the left of the woman with the yellow coat, and Daniel Huttlestone's head is just barely appearing in between that same yellow coat and the person in the black coat.

PC100048.jpg

This was cute - this is Isabelle Allen's mom taking a picture of the kids being interviewed:
PC100049.jpg

They were adorable. I saw Isabelle laughing and jumping up and down talking to one of the reporters.

Sooo cool! One of the perks of living in NYC, I've heard, is to sometimes see celebrities. (Not many of them in Iowa . . . )

I just told my DH what to get me for Christmas - he usually is at a complete loss (we won't talk about the year he got me the ThighMaster . . . :rolleyes:)

I told him to get me tickets to the local Les Miz showing in the theater here on Christmas!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter