Leaving for OKW in 2 weeks...

Discussion in 'DVC Member Services' started by windi622, Jan 5, 2010.

1. windi622

windi622 Mouseketeer

This will be our first stay at OKW. I am a BWV lover, and we ever have grown to really like SSR. 2 weeks from today will start our first OKW vacay. However, I'm reading so much about the rooms being run down and worn out- and I'm getting a little worried. Any OKW lovers out there that can calm my fears?? I understand it is not a new resort, and that's not what I'm expecting....just hoping it's everything we're wishing for. :flower3:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pampat

pampat Never Forget: It was all started by a Mouse!

We'll be there in 4 weeks. We've owned at OKW since 1992 and been countless times. The thing we love about the resort is that Disney are ALWAYS replacing, renovating, redecorating something there. It's what we pay our dues for. It is constantly getting renovated, one building at a time. THe only problem is the main pool being closed for the whole month of February, but I guess that wont affect you.

Trust me, you'll love it!

Pam

4. SusieBea

SusieBea DIS Veteran

We were there for two nights in a one-bedroom (3123) in mid-December. Even though we've stayed at OKW more than 20 times since we joined in 1993, I, too, was worried after all the negative reports here. Well, the room was spotless; there were no wear-and-tear issues; and check-in was quick and efficient. The only issue was there was no cookie sheet for our frozen pizza! We dealt. I hope you have the same experience. :wizard:

5. sandy0904

sandy0904 Mouseketeer

We stayed at a grand villa at OKW earlier last month and the rooms were fine. We had a great view of the golf course, it was very spacious and everything was spotless. It is a large resort so we had to take a bus to get to the lobby/restaurant but otherwise i have no complaints. Will definetely consider it in the future.

6. BEASLYBOO

BEASLYBOO <font color=deeppink>It's part of the charm<br><fo

We were there in a 2br this past Oct/09 and the villa had a new couch, new bedspreads and walls that appeared to be freshly painted. They even delivered 4 new couch pillows while we were at the parks. I've read many posts with similar concerns but in well over 25 trips to OKW, I've never encountered accomodations the likes of which have been described in some of these threads. We will be at SSR this Feb because OKW was booked at the 4 1/2 month mark but we look forward to returning to OKW this June.

I don't attribute 25 happy visits at OKW to dumb luck! I'm sure some rooms show more wear and tear than others. With constant refurbishment and maintenance, I thinks those rooms are the exception, rather than the norm.

Good luck and enjoy your stay! :)

7. SusieBea

SusieBea DIS Veteran

Can you tell me which grand villa you had that you enjoyed? We've reserved one for the first time for September, and I'd like to request a building if I had a recommendation. Thanks much.

8. dianeschlicht

dianeschlicht <font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon

We were there January, May and December in '09 and had wonderful units each time. Come to think of it, there has not been a bad unit for us in the 13 years we've owned except for a GV that was ready for refurb the first time we got a GV about 11 years ago.

9. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

<--------------Did somebody call me?

You'll find that OKW is maintained to Disney's high standards. Don't let the age of the resort fool you. It looks as nice now as it did when we joined in 1995. Be prepared to be blown away by how spacious your unit is, especially as compared to SSR.

10. jamaka66

jamaka66 Mouseketeer

We are leaving for our first trip to OKW in 16 days, but who's counting!

11. Caren

Caren Yo ho, yo ho...

Our experience there last month was great--the only flaw we found was that the TV in the living room was fuzzy on the low channels. We only had it on once and I'm afraid that we forgot to tell them about it. Everything was clean and well maintained and we loved all the space and the giant bathtub.

12. Cee

Cee DIS Veteran

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this resort IMHO. It is AWESOME. :goodvibes :worship: :thumbsup2

13. Disney's Walt

Disney's Walt Earning My Ears

We have been members since 96 and while we have often thought of staying in one of the other DVC resorts, we always end up staying HOME. OKW is just such a relaxing vacation (as much as you can relax at Disney) away from it all but close enough to enjoy it all. We have been there over 20 times since we bought and have never had a bad room. You will love it! have a great trip

14. Chuck S

Chuck S DVC Boards Co-Moderator Moderator

I'm in a one bedroom unit right now. Does the room show wear? Yes, some. There are a few minor snags in the carpet, and some light stains. It has a newer type sofa sleeper, but it has a few minor stains. The biggest thing I've noticed it that the dishwasher door has some issues. While it works OK, the door does not open fully. It really looks like a child may have stood on the open door and sprung the hinges. And the dryer, again it works OK, but obviously had some abuse issues. As OKW is scheduled for full rehab this year (they are currently working on Bldgs 11 and 12) I would not be too concerned. Really, our room is fine, just minor issues.

15. hsmamato2

hsmamato2 <font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad

we've got 2 studios in the 47 building right now:cool1: and they are fine, they are showing some minor wear(being realistic and honest) some scuff marks, etc,but generally just fine and as usual very roomy!
    to tell the truth,our first couple of days we stayed in a studio room at OKW that we DIDN'T like. That was a first for us in many many years of visits.
    It was kind of a corner bottom room about 10 feet from the noisy road with no direct sun.... kind of had a funky damp smell to it......but they let us move,so we're happy just to be here! no worries! in many years,that was the only time we ever didn't feel "disney" in our room.......:thumbsup2

16. modified-54

modified-54 Earning My Ears

We just returned from a 9 night stay at OKW. We had a studio and a 2 bedroom both in building 24. The studio had major wear issues and the 2 bedroom had minor wear issues all of which we reported. The studio was in need of a complete refurbishment. It had such a moldy musty smell. The door handle was so loose and falling off. The door sounded like it was falling off its hinges. The carpet was stained. The furniture was so beat and banged up. The patio door handle was falling off. The beds were so loose and creaky. The bathroom sink was completely cracked in half. It was so disappointing. We had family members with us and were ashamed of our "home away from home". The 2 bedroom had major mold problems in both bathrooms. Plus there was no hot water every morning. We had to call each morning and then wait over 1 hour to get hot water. They said the boiler kept going down. With all of the dues that we pay this is so unacceptable. We have been members since 2000 and have only ran into a problem one other time. I hope they address these issues soon. We still love OKW and hope that the rooms get the much needed refurbishment.

17. Pignanny

Pignanny Earning My Ears

We bought into OKW in 1997 and have enjoyed multiple stays there. Disney is always updating/renovating, but it is rare that you experience their dust (so to speak). OKW is the oldest DVC resort however in my opinion it is anything but rundown. Of course everyone will have their own opinions and naturally they often tend to be based off of various expectations going in. As I mentioned we have enjoyed multiple great stays there and will be enjoying another one this June (9 days). I will say "if" you experience anything negative or if something fails to meet you expectations just note it and mention it at the hospitality house. Unless there is just nothing that can be done (IE no other rooms available) Disney is exceptionally good about making sure your expectations get met. You POSITIVE experience is of the ut most importance to CM's and Disney.