Leaving for Alaska and bummed about weather

doriemg

Mouseketeer
OK, so I know I'm neurotic but I'm leaving this Monday for my Alaskan cruise on the Wonder and I've been looking at the long range weather forecast for Skagway, Juneau, and Ketichikan and all 3 days we'll be there they are predicting clouds and showers. I'm so bummed out. I'm looking for words of encouragement from others who've had to deal with the rain on their Alaskan cruise. Please someone - tell me it will be OK and make me feel better

When we went to Alaska in 7/2011, the forecast had rain every single day -- even in Vancouver. We had beautiful weather every single day except Ketchikan where there was a heavy fog. The people at Grouse Mountain said it was the clearest day they had had all year and you could see for miles. The view of bridal falls on the White Pass train was spectacular and the day before they couldn't see it at all. Some of the locals asked if Mickey brought the good weather with us when we were in port. :) Things can change daily in that area. Don't give up hope!

That is the regular summer forecast for SE Alaska - after all it is a rainforest region. If it is raining, put on a poncho and have fun in the rain.

Cool rainy days are great for enjoying the hot tub!

It is Alaska! Don't worry. Your pictures will turn out better with cloud cover, especially the contrasts on glaciers.

We had a similar forecast in early June this year and only had sprinkles on Tracy Arm day and a little harder rain in Ketchikan. And even that was off and on. But honestly, it didn't hamper any of our experiences or our fun. My son hates rain and even HE never complained about it. Don't stress. Pack ponchos or an umbrella and just relax. It's one of the rainiest places in the US but still the MOST amazing vacation we ever had and the views even through the sprinkles were outstanding. Have fun!!

OK, so I know I'm neurotic but I'm leaving this Monday for my Alaskan cruise on the Wonder and I've been looking at the long range weather forecast for Skagway, Juneau, and Ketichikan and all 3 days we'll be there they are predicting clouds and showers. I'm so bummed out. I'm looking for words of encouragement from others who've had to deal with the rain on their Alaskan cruise. Please someone - tell me it will be OK and make me feel better

The weather in Alaska is variable. Almost on a minute to minute basis. The only thing you can do is have your raingear always available, and carry on.

We had rain and absolutely gorgeous weather on both our Alaska cruises. I'm not saying that because it's raining it's not gorgeous. Even in the rain, Alaska is spectacular.

As the others have said, this is Alaska, and the weather is always changing. It rains 95% of the time in Ketchikan, but it's a light mist much of the time (as it is in most of the Alaska ports) so not enough to ruin your trip as long as you have some rain gear with you. And the rain will not necessarily last all that long, either.

You'll have a marvelous time regardless of the weather!

Sayhello

Don't stress! I was stationed in Anchorage for over 5 years and we learned that if it rained you just put on a rain coat and continue on with what you were doing! :thumbsup2

We did the Alaska Cruise a few weeks ago (July 22-29) and it did not rain one drop on us the entire week. Spectacular weather. Don't be discouraged. I'd love to go in your place!

When we went to AK, it rained for 3 weeks straight before we went. When we were there, it was beautiful! Even the locals were commenting how beautiful and warm it was after so much rain. You never know!!

Well when you are headed to Alaska you plan for cold wind and rain, no matter what month.The sights are just as amazing, the ship is just as awesome- and honestly, you couldn't have expected a warm cruise to Alaska, right? If you book the Caribbean and it's cold, then be bummed. Remember layers! You guys will have a blast!

Our weather forecast was similar. We had a light must in Juneau which didn't distract from anything. Got fogged in on a glacier so had to wait a few hours to get back to town. Other than that, just fog cover that burned off within a few hours. Not a big deal. They expect rain and carry on despite it. Plan for rain and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised most if the time. It won't distract from your trip.

Honeymooned in Alaska seven years ago in June. We were told by a tour guide when we got to Ketchikan, there were two types of weather there: 'Rain' and 'About to rain.' It was a misty type of rain when we were there, but we still had a fantastic time (lucked out with beautiful weather the rest of the trip). It literally rains in parts of Alaska something like over 300 days a year. Still an amazing trip! You'll be fine...have fun!

We did the Alaska Cruise a few weeks ago (July 22-29) and it did not rain one drop on us the entire week. Spectacular weather. Don't be discouraged. I'd love to go in your place!

Ditto and ditto! Not a drop of rain on our June 17-24 cruise and I'll go for you - or with you :) :goodvibes

You'll have a great time - it was the best cruise ever!! :love:

Heather

We tracked the weather for a month before our cruise this July to Alaska. They predicted rain for each of the days we would be in port. We had partly sunny weather and in the 60's every day except Juneau. It sprinkled a little in the afternoon after we had returned to the ship. Two years ago in Alaska, we had sunny weather in the 70s & 80s. So don't let the forecast get to you. Think sunny thoughts! :sunny: (I actually have a "sun" song I sing and it ALWAYS brings out the sun-when are you going? I'll sing it for your cruise!:sail:)

If you'd like to check out my trip report, here it is...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3150787

:eeyore:

Our long range showed rain in Juneau and Ketchikan before we left, and cloud the other days...but the actual weather was clear and sunny on the cloud-predicted days, it did not rain in Juneau (it was not sunny, but it was grey and dry) and it did rain in Ketchikan, but not until later in the day and it was more of a mist than a rain. I honestly don't think long range for Alaska is possible - you just get what you get and even if it is raining when you wake up...it might stop soon after. It definitely won't ruin your trip as all previous posters have said - enjoy Alaska!

Went 8/16/13 Alaskan on DCL and we had rain every port....we still had a fabulous time. We just packed accordingly and went out and did our excursions in the rain.

MJ

If you are already discouraged before your cruise than I'm worried that you will let this ruin your cruise. Please don't let it. Stop worrying about the weather. This is normal for Alaska. Its the rain that makes it so beautiful, so green and fresh smelling. It is AMAZING there with or with out rain. If I didn't go to Alaska because it was raining I would never had seen a huge pod of whales, mountain goats, a bear sitting right above the shopping area in Juneau, a HUGE grizzly swimming, yes swimming, in front of our ship at Glacier Bay from one side of the bay to the other, Bald eagles, seals, amazing waterfalls and so much more. Please don't let the rain affect anything. You will have an amazing time. :)

Thank you so much to everyone who responded!!!!! You guys are so great! I really feel much better. I'm excited to get out there now and go. One of my chief worries about the weather was in Juneau we're supposed to do a helicopter tour that lands on a glacier and I'm afraid it will be cancelled due to the weather. In Ketchikan we're doing a float plane trip with Michelle at Island Wings - same concern about the weather cancelling it. Either way we're prepared though. I bought ponchos for the whole family but I also have sunscreen. And of course, bug spray. Gotta repel those nasty mosquitoes. My poor son gets eaten alive. He's like the Palo of the bug world :rotfl2: So if the excursions do get cancelled then we'll be fine and we'll just do something else.

(I actually have a "sun" song I sing and it ALWAYS brings out the sun-when are you going? I'll sing it for your cruise!:sail:)
Thanks EeyoreIsMyName. I'm counting on you. And thanks again to everyone for cheering me up.

Thank you so much to everyone who responded!!!!! You guys are so great! I really feel much better. I'm excited to get out there now and go. One of my chief worries about the weather was in Juneau we're supposed to do a helicopter tour that lands on a glacier and I'm afraid it will be cancelled due to the weather. In Ketchikan we're doing a float plane trip with Michelle at Island Wings - same concern about the weather cancelling it. Either way we're prepared though. I bought ponchos for the whole family but I also have sunscreen. And of course, bug spray. Gotta repel those nasty mosquitoes. My poor son gets eaten alive. He's like the Palo of the bug world :rotfl2: So if the excursions do get cancelled then we'll be fine and we'll just do something else.

Thanks EeyoreIsMyName. I'm counting on you. And thanks again to everyone for cheering me up.

No problem! I've got you covered! My best advice is to take the raingear on your excursions-it only rains when you don't have it!!:rotfl:

Headed your way--:music:(that's me singing the "sun" song) :sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny: (one for each day!).

:eeyore:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter