Learning to Walk (and Parent) on the Wonder: Cruising Alaska with a Mini-Mouseketeer. Ketchikan.

Your trip report is hysterical! And, as the mother of a 3 1/2 DS, I totally appreciate knowing where all the loo's are :tongue: A couple of years ago, we were on a DCL med cruise and DS was 18 months old- we purchased an Osprey Poco backpack and toted him all over Europe in it. Best purchase ever!! I highly recommend it for excursions with toddlers that you don't want to leave behind on the ship.

:) I'm glad you are enjoying it...And I haven't even got to the boat yet! LOL. How long was your med cruise?

It was twelve days out of Barcelona. It was fantastic but a logistical nightmare figuring out how to travel internationally with an 18 month old. I would totally do it again though!! :-)

Oooh...In alaska? Is that one of their first in the season? I so can't wait to see pictures of the Wonder after Dry Dock.

We will be the 2nd Alaska sailing next year. I plan on sharing our trip in a report as well. I have gained so much wonderful knowledge from reading other's experiences!

TODAY is the Day!
Today is the day! The day I've been waiting for...well, for nearly 20 years! I'm going to board a Disney cruise! Wooohooo!!
I'm so pleased that I got to see the last of the Disney boats in their original form- similar to what they looked like when I was daydreaming about them in high school (when they only did land and sea packages).

I was so thrilled to be getting on the boat that I almost didn't mind the three hour drive to get there. But first we stopped at a super delicious breakfast place in Seattle (where I could use the bathroom as many times as I wanted!!) and check out this hilariously wonderful coffee cup:
fce2cdbd-67ad-4970-8acf-0110f7be2a53_zpsrq5woacu.jpg

I've been on a really clean diet for the last few years- and recently- I've been following an autoimmune paleo protocol diet to help with my crohn's disease and hidradenitis suppurativa. I decided to go off my diet (minus consuming nightshades) for this trip and had been "testing" my diet for reactions for about a month leading up to the cruise.

Before we could REALLY get on the road- we needed to make one more stop to the grocery store for more baby food, diapers (which I promptly slapped with a cruise luggage tag), a case of pellegrino (which I wouldn't bring next time), and two six-packs of beer. We opted to carry-on beer instead of wine, because we made the correct assumption that we could get better wine on board than beer. In fact, my husband, who is a level 2 certified sommelier was pleasantly surprised at receiving some really nice and older vintages on the bottles of wine that we ordered, because the average cruiser just wasn't ordering those particular bottles very often.
bf8713ac-6eb5-4530-b196-1bb3bdfc690b_zpsglqffbuv.jpg

I was able to busy myself for at least two hours by cutting out those little Mrs. Potts' out of the lamination sheets and applying magnetic tape onto the back of them. Otherwise, I think I would have been really antsy. I was already a bit on edge and remember telling William, "You know what would make you feel better? A nap...take a nap. Please take a nap." Maybe I should have sat in the front seat, because it drove William bonkers that I was sitting next to him, but would not take him out of his car seat. He kept reaching out and over to me and it broke my heart a bit. He did eventually take a nap, it just wasn't as great as I would have wishes.

Contained in my luggage was a bag of nine epic bars (meat based protein bars) and fruit bars from Whole Foods (I kept the receipt from Colorado in with them). I wanted to be prepared for our excursions and days of traveling, because I do have a tendency to become hangry. Even when I'm not nursing.
ceecbb4eeca25ed2aa31b9510c51bd38_zpsnnf5nmo2.jpg

Of course- we also had the alcohol. We contemplated for awhile on how we wanted to cross the border. Do we tell them about our food? I put a good amount of thought into this conundrum. And you know what the Canadian customs guy said? Basically he asked if we were going to be leaving anything in Canada...and we went on our way. In fact- no one seemed to care through all of the customs we went through on this trip about our alcohol or epic bars. Just as everything I worried about...it amounted to nothing.

83b255c4-52bf-4c50-af61-30323f8ada46_zpsuzx5fwq4.jpg

We finally arrived at Canada Place. Yippeee! Yippeee!!! Canada Place is quite beautiful. It reminds me a lot of the Denver International Airport with it's white sails. In 1929, it was originally the home of the Canadian Pacific Railway. The 1986 World's Exposition welcomed the Canada Place you see today. You may recognize the individuals that were at the ribbon cutting of the 86 Expo.
cac20486-6d6b-488f-964d-b5f654770863_zpsztcksll2.jpg

The Fair was supposed to be focused on transportation, so it seems so fitting that Canada Place opened it's doors during the expo. I unfortunately did not arrive to Canada Place by noon, so I missed out on the heritage horns, which play the first four notes of Canadian's national anthem every day. Check out these fun facts:

• Previously operated on a mechanical timer, the horns would not always chime at exactly noon. Canada Place would field many a phone call from local businesses noting their employees would be leaving too early for lunch, attributed of course to an early miscue by the horns. And so it was decided to switch to an electrical timer to ensure a consistent sounding of the horns at 12 noon – sharp!
  • It takes 10 cast aluminum horns to play the first 4 notes of the national anthem
  • The horns blow at 115 decibels and can be heard throughout downtown, on the North Shore, and beyond
  • The Heritage Horns are a local legacy and a proud part of our Canadian history
  • The horns use 109 cubic feet of air at 150 PSI (pounds per square inch) for a 6.5 second blast (the first four notes)
It appeared that Andrew's Aunt was unsure where to drop off, so she and Andrew decided that dropping us off at the curb near the convention center... Oh..ho..ho... You already KNOW how I feel about our luggage situation (and by this time- we added a case of diapers, a case of water, and more food to our load) AND I read there were porters. Maybe a couple of years ago, when I was a bit more timid, I may have unloaded there on the curb, but this was my dream vacation and I'm more of a vocal mama-bear now, so there was no way I was getting out of that car unless I absolutely needed to without porters. So I asked to go around the block again to find the entrance.

And I know it looks a bit confusing, friends, as it says boldly "Public Parking", but this IS where you go with all your luggage:
66cf20c0-1c90-4078-a06c-abd4ab844a8d_zpsgsy58dc6.jpg

And at the point, a Port of Vancouver baggage collection staff member practically collects your bags from the car... and Whoosh...Half your stress is gone...right there. Oh man...it's such a good feeling. Our check-in time was 1:30 and we arrived at around roughly 1:45 PMish and there was NO ONE there, really- well, plenty of Disney crew members (well- at least they are only disney crew members on Mondays- they work with other cruiselines other days of the week) to show us the way. I never feel lost or misguided at any point in Canada Place. We didn't experience a single line. At the first booth, I grabbed the personal navigator for the day. I'm not sure if she would have offered it if I didn't eagerly snatch it up, because when we were at the muster drill someone asked me at the table where I got it and if she could look at it.

Of course the next picture I have is.... :: drum roll ::
73493734-bd2b-4285-b4e9-5d0ec04d6061_zpspemn9qd6.jpg

(Are these entertainment crew members? I don't really remember seeing them around the boat....or that uniform making another appearance. Is this the uniform they wear at guest services?)

And that was it...
No one to explain what we should do. Where we should go. If I didn't do quite a bit of reading on DISboards beforehand- I might feel a little overwhelmed and confused...I mean...I have never even been on a cruise boat before. Not just a Disney Cruise... Any cruise.
The atrium elevators were mobbed with people and their luggage. I didn't even feel like I took a moment to breathe it all in. It felt like hitting the pool after a big and steep water slide for the first time, You think... "Whoa. Whew. Where am I? I need to get to the side of the pool so that I don't get hit by someone else."

So that's what we did. We knew we were aft- so we walked down to those elevators in front of Parrot Cay (where they asked, "Are you coming to have lunch with us?" and we told them we would be right back). No one else was using the aft elevators, so that felt like a first-day win. Some of our luggage was already in front of the door (How do they do that?!) Once in the room I told Andrew, "Oh look- I sent myself flowers! How nice of me!" William's pack-and-play and diaper genie were already in the room, as I e-mailed guest services with the request prior (but don't they always show up if you have a little one?)

William was QUITE pleased with the accommodations:
a1ada860-0541-4800-bfdc-6c292a15b4e1_zps33vpy6ep.jpg

Once we got down to Parrot Cay, it was 2:34 PM and the hostess informed us they were closed, but could go up to Beach Blanket, which was totally fine, but I did mention that Special Services (before cruising) told me that I was supposed to meet with someone on the dining staff about my food allergies and I didn't see where I should do that.
(Under normal circumstances- do you know where you are supposed to meet? If at all?)

She whisked me in to meet with the restaurant manager, who walked me through the buffet and then had the kitchen make me up some fresh lamb and chicken, with some steamed veggies. (Hellloo? The kitchen was closed. Wow. This is they Disney difference that is so cool in my books). So we sat, completely alone and next the window in Parrot Cay. It was such a unique experience and reminded us when we were the last people in the Carthay Circle at in California Adventure because we were having a fun time with our server, and we had to be walked out of the park, because the park had already closed. It just makes you feel SOOO special.

d7c48083-2943-4381-8c1e-c25e34893564_zps8cvikff3.jpg

I saw my first sea plane lift off. (Vacation to-do- Check!) and William decided he wanted to use a fork for the first time, as he has shown zero interest at home. Our server was so great. I wish he ended up being our server. :( I've heard so many awesome things about all the servers on the boat. I can't even imagine how much MORE amazing our trip would have been if we had a fun server.

After lunch, we went upstairs and unpacked a bit. We knew that we wouldn't have time to get to the pools, even though we had our bathing suits in our day bag. I was afraid it might be the only opportunity we had to get William in the splash area...but...well...

Stickerline-elsa-let-it-go_zpsatg7h3kc.png

Toddler Tip: Let it go.

Our muster station was in Animator's Pallet, which I looked up the location for on the Disney Cruise App (handy handy!), as everyone says...it was quick and painless. I read on someone else's trip report that they booked it up the stairs to the 10th floor to see the Sail Away Party. That sounded like a GREAT idea. However, I missed the aft stairs, probably because I wasn't expecting them to be so close to the restaurant and there were lots of people milling about in front of them. It is to be noted that they let people with wheelchairs and strollers to leave the muster a bit early. However, I wouldn't have wanted to deal with the stroller. Instead we through him in the baby hawk baby carrier.

Whew. I'm not going to lie though...6 floors of stairs are no joke. We ended up climbing the atrium stairs and still found a spot at the railing on the 10th floor.

The Sail Away party was wonderful. For quite sometime, Andrew and I felt that we were going on this very fun vacation that could also accommodate William. He was just coming along with us... but it was at this Sail Away party that we realized that he was really engaged with this trip. He was clapping and dancing with the characters. He genuinely and truly seemed to be enjoying himself. We were ALL on vacation.
3b3c0c90-feb4-4972-9cc6-10d5d541c043_zpsffpn9056.jpg

Almost all of the trip reports I read mentioned that they ship's horn did not sound after the countdown at the party... so when it DID... I lost it. I cried happy tears as I kissed William on the back of the head. This may be my number one moment of the entire trip. I was just overwhelmed with joy.

It was twelve days out of Barcelona. It was fantastic but a logistical nightmare figuring out how to travel internationally with an 18 month old. I would totally do it again though!! :-)

Did you fly Lufthansa or another airline with bassinets or anything? We are planning on going to Venice when William is two. We took this trip, because I couldn't fathom flying international with William at this age when I was still pregnant, but I think that with his temperament that we could have done it.

We are on our way! We are really on our way!
In that same trip report, the writer mentioned heading to the Deck 7 Aft Overlook when sailing away from Vancouver, which seemed GENIUS! Even more genius? Grabbing a Bon Voyage drink on our way down. It's a mix of strawberry daiquiri and pina colada (Also known as a Miami Vice).

145a35f0-9503-429e-871f-022019f46f28_zpsupyznfqt.jpg

Can you believe that after all these years and tons of DISboards posts that there was only ONE other family on Deck 7? I thought it might be a bit tricky to find, but you literally go all the way down Deck 7- take a couple stairs and you are there.

Sailing under Lions Gate Bridge was so picturesque and then of course- you get to hear the horn again. SQUEE! The idea of the Lions Gate Bridge started taking thought as early as 1890! Construction begin in 1937. The term "Lions Gate" refers to The Lions, a pair of mountain peaks north of Vancouver. Northbound traffic on the bridge heads in their general direction. A pair of cast concrete lions, designed by sculptor Charles Marega, were placed on either side of the south approach to the bridge in January, 1939.

At one point when we were admiring the skyline and speaking with the other family, William snatched the straw from my drink, covered in daiquiri, and had it in his mouth before I could steal it back. :: face palm ::
Toddler Tip: Don't let your baby drink your alcoholic drinks.

We were SO excited to start our vacation:
a1928cde-61a4-4b8b-8b86-497862bde8ad_zpsf2h6d90c.jpg

(Ahhh...Look at that view? Isn't is scrumptious?! I love people that offer to take pictures of other families.)

We had to leave our newfound friends (who we actually never saw again...but we really thought we were going to at some point) because it was almost dinner. Andrew had to practically drag me out of the stateroom, because I...just...wanted..one...more...second to put on our door decorations.

8f6a9fe2-9162-49b6-95b9-873ed1492843_zps40ooturj.jpg

I also ran into our Room Steward, Darren, who was wonderful. I asked him for an extra blanket and I was pleased to see that it was in our room at his turndown service.

Toddler Tip: The pack-and-play only comes with a bottom fitted sheet. If your little one likes a little more weight on them while sleeping, I would recommend asking for a blanket. Better yet- ask for a few, especially if you have a Verandah, because then you can use them while you are sitting outside.

I used the stationary in the desk to communicate with Darren. I would leave notes on the bed before dinner asking for more things such as blankets, more stationary, more breakfast order forms and luggage tags for departure.

Last edited:

A couple years ago, the dining staff seemed severely confused by my husband's no nightshade request. I'm hoping it will be better the next time he sails.

I won't leave you in suspense.... it was horrible and next time I will not tell them and just manage it myself. Upcoming in my trip report is how they served me steamed broccoli and cauliflower for THREE days in a row and how I ended up in tears at Guest Services, explaining how it was really impacting my trip in a negative way.

And to be honest, I'm not sure how much avoiding just nightshades on my trip helped. Although, I do have to admit that I never had to run to the bathroom and my sleep wasn't impacted on the trip, but my skin condition flared horribly!

Nightshades were the only things I wasn't ready emotionally to test in my diet before leaving, but I really don't miss them.

I also accidentally told them goji berries were a nightshade and theye refused to give me any berries on the entire trip. :: sigh ::

And they would never explain why they were leaving a component of a dish off, such as, "we can't give you the green beans, because they are coated in red pepper." Or whatever. I should have been more proactive about asking, but at that point, I think I had given up a bit.

How was your husband's trip impacted?

How was your husband's trip impacted?
Lucky for us, we were only on a 2 night since he has found out that he can't eat nightshades. He only did one meal in the MDRs and the server couldn't understand the issue, so brought the head server over. The head server also didn't seem to know what nightshades were. My husband asked for any entree just seasoned with salt and pepper. They kept suggesting potatoes as sides. Eventually, he got some fish just seasoned with salt and pepper and the steamed veggies that you mentioned. His other dinner was in Palo and they were great. I'll probably schedule him in Palo as much as possible on our next cruise.

He was able to eat in the buffet and snacks in Cove Cafe. He also has gluten and corn sensitivity, but those seem to be easier to deal with than nightshades. I feel we are a tomato, potato, chili and bell pepper society.

We actually eat out a lot at home considering. I think about 90% of people who work in restaurants don't know what nightshades are. We recently tried a new place and the cook, who created all the recipes there, was making suggestions to my husband. We kept having to point out what was wrong with his suggestions. We asked if he could just season stuff with salt and pepper. He finally said he had ONE item on the menu that he could do that with. When it came out, it seemed like it had a red sauce. We asked what that was and he said, "There's no chili or red pepper. That is only paprika." :confused3 I just took my entree to go and we went home.

On the upside, we did find a restaurant in our local mountains where the staff knows what food is. When I told the waitress that my husband couldn't have nightshades, she immediately starting firing off a bunch of suggestions for changes to everything and said he brother was the chef and can easily handle all special requests. I'm sure you know how rare that is. And nothing was messed up.

Did you fly Lufthansa or another airline with bassinets or anything? We are planning on going to Venice when William is two. We took this trip, because I couldn't fathom flying international with William at this age when I was still pregnant, but I think that with his temperament that we could have done it.
We actually flew USAIR and they moved us to an available seat at the bulkhead that had a bassinet. DS slept most of the flight thankfully! Coming back he was awake for pretty much the entire flight.. we walked the aisles and played with all the new toys that i had bought just for this trip

Adore your totem pole. Did you create it? Is it wood? (In other words, I am attempting to steal your idea and figure out how to make one for our 2017 Alaska trip). :rolleyes1

Kate

Adore your totem pole. Did you create it? Is it wood? (In other words, I am attempting to steal your idea and figure out how to make one for our 2017 Alaska trip). :rolleyes1

Kate

First I printed off images of Western Red Cedar wood grain (which is what is used in the Pacific Northwest for totem poles) and then I printed off the characters onto the wood paper. A little paint, scissors and lamination... viola. Very fun. Have a good time making it. :) It's fun. I looked at images of totem poles in Ketchikan for my inspiration.

Onwards to our First Dinner!
Our dining rotation was APTAPTA. I didn't really research enough about dining rotations before our cruise and Special Services actually put in this dining rotation as a request for us, because I was so terribly excited about Animator's Palate. It just seemed like SUCH a novel concept in 1998, you know? I remember watching documentaries on the first two ships and thinking it was just the COOLEST.

I was so delighted to see that William had his very own little water (but it wasn't until about halfway through the trip that he learned how to drink through a straw.)
6fff1aa9-cbcc-48f7-a537-6ea1b3619e9b_zpsteu6mynr.jpg

We arrived at our table first and noticed that there were three additional water cups and two high chairs. Our table mates were a very sweet couple with a seven year old and two-year old twins. Whew. A family understanding of small children. Win! Although it was pretty hilarious when their oldest daughter arrived and said, "What are they doing at OUR table?" Haha.

We met our server, who didn't seem particularly jovial or pleased to be working on the Wonder, but I know that disembarkation/embarkation days are SUPER hard and SUPER long for all crew members involved, so I figured that might be the cause of his apathy. I dutifully informed him of my allergies to nightshades.
664cf30d95577fa333b7d97d581b3ef6.jpg

And he quickly passed me off to the Head Server. At this point, there was really no turning back- I informed the cruise line months ahead of my cruise of this allergy and it was already in my file. That first night, they did let me order appetizers on my own, but the Head Server said "Would a steak and some vegetables work for you for dinner?" And I agreed that it sounded like it would work well.

I really enjoyed the salmon tartate. I forgot to order the butternut squash that people rave about (Whoops) and I thought the Jarlsberg cheese souffle was rather bland.

My husband received his dinner... our table mates had their dinners delivered. And I waited. My husband finished his dinner. And I waited. Our table mates actually decided to miss the big finale of the Animator's Palate show. And...I waited. No dinner in sight. I surveyed the rest of the dining room, since we were tucked into a back (and fairly dark) corner. (Table 21). Everyone was pretty much done with dinner and I was still waiting.

I suppose looking back that perhaps it wasn't the end of the world, because I could care for William while Andrew ate- and then Andrew could hold William while I ate, but I was definitely the last person in the dining room to receive my dinner- probably about 20 minutes after my husband received his. I felt deflated. This wasn't the service I've read about for two decades. It was a long day- and I was hungry. :: sigh :: But I have to admit- the steak was cooked to perfection and was seasoned quite well, actually. It was served with steamed cauliflower and broccoli.

I nursed William to sleep as I waited for my dinner.
ba74f45c-de31-46a6-a615-906dc623882c_zpsxav64srp.jpg

By the time the main mouse arrived, William was entirely and completely knocked out.
5af612bd-8e57-452e-b554-999a5553416c_zpsoeixjjqr.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoying your trip report. We booked Sept 2017 Alaska.

I am still on the fence about the trip. I have a special needs child in a wheelchair so that brings in a different set of obstacles and planning.
Just wanted to say, as a mother of a special needs child who also requires a wheelchair and has done 7 DCL cruises, DCL is WONDERFUL with children and guests with disabilities. She has always been made to feel welcome and comfortable. Overall the ship is easy to get around in, with the exception of a couple of doorways with high thresholds. But even then, you just go down a little further and there are accessible doors. Hope you can make your cruise and have a fabulous time!

First I printed off images of Western Red Cedar wood grain (which is what is used in the Pacific Northwest for totem poles) and then I printed off the characters onto the wood paper. A little paint, scissors and lamination... viola. Very fun. Have a good time making it. :) It's fun. I looked at images of totem poles in Ketchikan for my inspiration.

I need to try this, it is just too cute. I am not very creative but my child is, maybe I can talk her into making one for us.

We carried our sleeping Prince upstairs and tucked him into his car seat for easy transport, but when we consulted the clock, we still had an hour until our 8:30 PM showing of "All Aboard! Let the Magic Begin!" Since I was feeling the need for a little rest and relaxation- I asked Andrew if he would kindly watch our slumbering son while I scoped out Quiet Cove. And let me tell you- the Quiet Cove is especially quiet during this time of the evening. Particularly at the beginning of the cruise. I went to the adult pool four times on the cruise in between dinner and our show and it was nearly completely empty.

So I quickly changed into my swimsuit and released my robe from it's vacuum sealed cocoon. Packing a robe is pretty indulgent, as it takes a lot of room, but I really enjoyed having it! I never felt cold on the pool decks. Or wet for that matter. And I felt much more comfortable walking through the ship in a robe then in a towel.

I eased myself into the stainless steel hot tub...Ahh....Bliss. My muscles immediately relaxed. Ah ha. This feels like vacation. Enjoying the warmth of the hot tub in complete silence with no one else around.

We were sailing through the Salish Sea, which just received it's official name in 2008. The name had to be approved both by Canada and the US, since it covers both territories. "The name Salish Sea pays homage to the Coast Salish peoples who've lived on the shores of the waters from Olympia to Desolation Sound for thousands upon thousands of years." The sea is home to 419 islands, 37 species of mammals, 172 species of birds, 247 species of fish, and over 3000 species of invertebrates. If you keep a keen eye- you might even spot some orcas. Apparently there are three pods of orcas that live in this area, dubbed the J, K and L Pods. Together, they equate to about 84 orcas (J Pod=29, K Pod=19, L Pod=36). But mind you that their habitat is 300 miles long and they can travel from 75 to 100 miles every 24 hours -and can swim up to 30 miles per hour.

You can have your kiddos listen to what orcas sound like here: http://www.cetaceanresearch.com/sounds/index.html
Scientists believe that each orca community has a completely unique set of calls. Even in captivity, orcas may learn other calls, but never forget their own.

To be honest, I'm not sure I could handle this documentary emotionally, but if you are interested in a personal story from the area to make your trip even more impactful, check out the story of Luna the Orca.
a_killer_whale_called_luna_bbc_natural_world_documentary.jpg

As of the writing- you can see at least part of the documentary here: http://documentarystorm.com/a-killer-whale-called-luna/

There is also a book based on the Luna's Story called "The Lost Whale: A True Story of an orca named Luna" and it has really wonderful reviews.

There is no doubt that the area is teeming with life. Vancouver Island is the largest island on the West Coast of North America and is home to over 700,000 people, which is about 100,00 more than Vancouver. It has a rich history in fur trading and there is even an area called blubber bay- and you can only assume what occurred in that area.

One of the largest group of indigenous peoples in the area is that of the Kwakwaka'wakw and today their population is about 5,500. The first evidence of an established settlement in that Salish Sea is from 3000 BCE. I can't even begin to fathom this idea. Depending on the historian, 3000 BC could still be included in the Neolithic Time Period, which is the last part of the stone age. During this period the bow and arrow and ceramic pottery were also introduced.

It makes me wonder- were the ancestors from this area singing like this 5,000 years ago?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUSRfoOcUe4Ym5afOLUbE8cWVG0YeVT6Q
Did they pass these songs down from when their people began? It's hard to wrap your mind about, isn't it.

The first evening pretty much looks like this time lapsed video that I found on YouTube:
(However- at the time, this cruise ship left at 5 PM and I believe the Wonder left at around 4 PM. And at the time of the video, the sunset at around 8:30 PM. On our cruise, the sun set around 9:30 PM.)

93a51ac0-35a8-45a1-becf-5dae1c77bcd6_zpssf2ynmqj.jpg

(This is based on some math that I did with Google Earth Pro.)

Something that I've begun to realize is that almost all the ships have a similar schedule in that they have to cross the narrows at low tide:
1fcbfbe8-3cf2-46de-b14d-ad026f55b754_zpsomudovfr.jpg

This is the actual tide table for when we went through Seymour Narrows and we were pretty much passing through at the perfect time. You can see that the tide changes about 8 feet throughout the course of the day, which I've heard can cause tidal currents of up to 20 miles per hour.
1d8729dc-f27c-47d6-9f47-63e272bcbe9a_zps5r6g63ti.jpg

But the currents were quiet and it was smooth sailing when we passed.

I headed out of Quiet Cove, grabbed some ice cream and spent some time admiring the view from the back of Beach Blanket. Seriously- how can there be over 2,000 people on this boat and I'm the only one out here? I was just completely shocked.

So much so that it deserves a big picture:
13590297_10101083381581720_8698165224258408564_n_zps4nzgd38c.jpg

And it was so serene....
Can't you just imagine an orca swimming by in the distance?
13599758_10101083381676530_4125796640525615471_n_zps4a1petvt.jpg

But I had a show to catch!!

When I arrived back into the stateroom, William was still fast asleep. I changed and we carried William in his car seat to the Walt Disney Theater. We found an aisle seat in the back in case we needed to make a quick exit with a crying baby, but he slept...and slept...and slept through the entire thing.

13612401_10101083381731420_8975490340680181104_n_zps5ts1nhwz.jpg

I pondered... "HM....Is this what will happen at every show?" When I thought about logistics at home- I considered that this could be a possibility...

We successfully transferred him into his pack-and-play after the show. I called housekeeping for another blanket, because I really wanted one for my side of the bed, but I think housekeeping is really busy on that first night and if they tried to deliver it- I must have drifted away to sleep.

Andrew decided that he wanted to go see the 10 PM showing of Zootopia, so I hung out on the Verandah to try to very strategically use the 50MB of internet I signed up for earlier in the day. Because what I failed to mention a bit sooner is that before going to the hot tub, I might have dropped my cell phone in the toilet. I immediately clawed off the case, but with these new phones- there is no where I could really figure out how to pop out the battery or anything... so all I could do at that point was pray. The phone was being a bit weird, but :: shrugs :: it was doing alright. So I was desperate to try to upload all of the pictures I took earlier in the day to Facebook so that I wouldn't lose them.

Just as I logged onto the internet- my phone died, without disconnecting from the internet and thus eating up every last megabyte.

I felt a little crestfallen. What if I lose those amazing pictures of William dancing at the Sail Away Party? I want to be able to go back to that moment... :: sigh :: I assured myself that losing pictures did not mean that I was going to lose those memories.

So as the sun began to dip into the horizon, I curled up in bed. And I have to admit- the bed on the Wonder is glorious. A down-like comforter and pillows. So wonderful. It nestles you into it's folds and says..."Relax. You deserve it."

We all slept really well that night, despite having to bring William into our bed at 4 AM (for the first time since 5 weeks old). It must be awfully confusing to fall asleep in a restaurant and awake in a strange pack-and-play.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying reliving my Alaska trip by reading your report. Thanks especially for the link to the whale sounds! My son is a whale fanatic and will really enjoy listening.

I'm enjoying reliving my Alaska trip by reading your report. Thanks especially for the link to the whale sounds! My son is a whale fanatic and will really enjoy listening.
I'm glad you liked it! I wondered if it seemed weird to add some more information about the area we were traveling through, but I think I would have enjoyed the trip even more if I did all this research before hand, but it's making me appreciate it even more after the fact, as well! :)

Our First Sea Day in the "Boring" Hecate Sea

kwd_vacation_defined.png

I felt like I was really struggling the first sea day. Previously- vacations felt like an escape from reality. All things were good on vacation- especially a Disney vacation! But I had to come to terms with the fact that you can't escape life when you are a parent, especially a parent of a toddler. And it's not that anything even bad or unsavory happened on the trip. I was just bummed when I would feel irritable (usually for no good reason), hormonal, or a bit tired and/or off. And I felt all of those things on our first sea day. I even had a cold. Maybe if the scenery that day was absolutely remarkable, so much so that it demands all of your attention (like the next day in Endicott Arm)- I would have snapped out of my strange mood, but alas...

The first Day at Sea is spent in the Hecate Strait. I recently purchased the book "The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-By-Mile Guide" by Joe Upton. (Maybe I should have purchased this book before the cruise, hm? But now I get to relive my cruise all over again. I want to feel that I'm on vacation all summer! I often wake up dreaming of things I want to put in my trip report. Also- I do recommend this book. It's even more fun when you are reading it with access to Google Earth Pro [which is now FREE- used to be $400] and you can see exactly where he is talking about).

(P.S. Speaking of Google Earth Pro- this is how I figured out how we were on the second day. You can create routes and then measure them in miles...and then figure out how many hours it took to get to say- the beginning of Endicott Arm and do the math to figure out how many miles per hour you were going...and work your way from there.)

This is what Joe Upton, who spent 20 years exploring the NW coast as a commercial fisherman and journalist has to say about the Hecate Strait:

fd1c4f50-94cc-4d3a-a85d-ab00cf28e6e7_zpspmoqodgf.jpg

You see that? "Big Ship Usual Route: BORING, far from land."

This is the only time that he uses the word boring in the entire book. (Seriously. I did a search for it). Ah ha... Now I don't feel so bad feeling like the first sea day was a bit unremarkable.

But HEY- that is the beauty of a Disney cruise. The actual ship itself is crazy beautiful and the personal navigators are full of fun activities.

Our day began with room service delivering some pastries, coffee, tea- and most importantly the rice milk that we ordered the day before. (The breakfast room service tags are in the desk drawer). I wanted to have rice milk to put in William's bottle for the nursery, as I tried to pump on our first night on the boat and it just didn't work very well (After 15 months of pumping- I retired my trusty friend while on the boat).

P.S. No need to order anything special to take with you to the nursery. They can provide all the ranges of milk they carry and various snacks. William loved yogurt and crackers.

We ordered breakfast every morning, but also asked for them to include a cheese plate and a selection of fruit, which we would put in the fridge to snack on throughout the day. I would also circle that I just wanted honey, which I would use for tea. We would put the coffee and hot water carafe with our stateroom drinking glasses, along with the tea and honey, for on demand tea and coffee ALL day. Those carafes keep beverages HOT for HOURS... We are talking over 12 hours. I also snagged some chai tea from the spa and kept a few bags in the stateroom, as well. It was pretty luxurious to be able to have a hot cup of tea anytime we wanted it.

I knew that there was a very good possibility that there was going to be an "Art of the Theme" tour of the first sea day, because of previous navigators I looked at, so I strategically booked the nursery time online. (Although it totally wasn't necessary, because the nursery wasn't full at any point during the cruise. However, my table mates said that they nursery told them that the first cruise in July already had times when the nursery was totally full).

I loved the idea of taking the "Art of the Theme" tour on the first day, because then I could enjoy all the details and thematic elements throughout the ship during the entire cruise.

We didn't get William checked into the nursery on Day 1, so Andrew headed down at 9:15 AM to get him all setup. He swears up and down that I didn't give him William's secret password, but I made it to the nursery when they were trying to figure that all out. (We used the same password that I had as a child, which I never had to use, but check out this news article about how a family password stopped a kidnapping.)

7cb15f2f-f11a-4a29-83b8-5fac624f3882_zps8mdgwba5.jpg

We learned on our Art of the Theme Tour that Flounder's nursery was never planned. The Wonder actually converted a kitchen into the nursery on a cruise from Europe back to the States, so it lakes a fun entrance, as nearly all other places on the boat. I think it was quaint and I will have fond memories of Flounder's Reef, as I believe it will be replaced with a Small World nursery in the Dry Dock.

Something else that I noticed in the nursery is that they changed their hanging decorations nearly every day to match the themes of what was happening on the boat.

72837cd7-4901-498d-bd3c-563a7e54458d_zpsz7ydvh5m.jpg

There were only three other people on our tour, so it felt small and personal. I loved learning about how Disney purchased genuine Venetian leather for the Palo dinner menus; so I took extra time later in the week running my fingers across the wonderfully bound menus.

I thought it was interesting that Walt was a smoker. I had no idea. Even today it's terribly difficult to find a picture of him with tobacco present. I also learned that the nautical flag alphabet is actually a thing...and to keep an eye out for it on the boat!
01ff40ad-6dbd-4df4-8e51-bdb1e5f5168e_zps1yclxymm.jpg

(Note to future self: This would be such a cute nursery theme.)
8eba8220-7385-442c-8db1-7b54c26f93b6_zps6aziooum.jpg

Oh! And I forgot about my favorite part! Something that you probably won't hear on any of the other Art of the Theme Tours. I asked about the laundry facilities for the ship. How do they logistically wash all those sheets, towels and tablecloths (that I was seeing people draw on with crayons. Is that common?)? Our guide told us that they have six industrial washers that run almost 24/7. Their doors are the size of portholes and they use a mechanical claw to move the wet laundry from the washers into the dryers.

I couldn't help but smiling every time I walked past Morty and Ferdie (Mickey's nephews):
79345726-2ff2-4613-bb06-521e4229a158_zps6ygkpoh0.jpg

Some speculate that Morty was named for Mortimer, which was supposed to be Mickey's original name. But I suppose that is how Disney lore is created. (And isn't it wonderful!?)

Since we still had some time before our 11:00 AM Palo reservation, we headed up to the Overlook Cafe. We loved this space so much. I hope it doesn't disappear in dry dock, as it's such a nice place to have a wonderful adult coffee drink while traveling by the cold shores of Alaska. We even picked up their "loyalty" card and received a free non-alcoholic drink on the last day of the cruise. (I think you need to buy five to get a 6th free or something?)

It should be mentioned that if you really adore tea, the Overlook Cafe is the best place for wonderful tea. Just for a fun experience- open and smell all the teas. They are so different and really delightful.
c1883242-0d45-49c8-9f8b-33751f499561_zpscgdm7gia.jpg

9a37efb5-db4f-4578-b050-5df1f018297d_zpstvfzcnsg.jpg

I'm not even sure that what I ordered was on the menu...or even the name of it, for that matter. I saw a couple whizzing by on a tray and exclaimed, "That one! That one looks great!"
Isn't it beautiful? As you can see- it rained almost the entire time during our first sea day. It was mesmerizing, hypnotic and meditative to watch the rain drops rolling off the rounded windows at the Overlook.

We took our hot libations with us and headed across the deck to Palo. We still hadn't quite figured out the deck plans, yet, but at least it wasn't raining too hard.

1ae2e8f9-b268-4b7d-9988-56c876d301f0_zpsi03ujd3v.jpg

And Oh...Yes... Brunch is just as fun and delicious as everyone says it is!

Since that nightshade allergy was documented in my file for all to sea- I couldn't avoid it in Palo either. However- since Palo doesn't really seem to have Head Servers- or maybe just because it's an upscale place- the Executive Chef came out to give me my personal tour of the buffet and we went through EVERY food item looking for nightshades. I followed him around like a starry-eyed school girl. It was such a special experience. I made sure to order all hi favorite cheeses and entrees.

And we ate...and we ate. And we ate. Haha. Of course the Gorgonzola and Grape pizza was divine. Andrew ordered the chicken parm (seriously, what's so great about it y'all? It's chicken parm. :: shrugs :: ) :) I thought the strawberry soup was WAY to sweet, but the Eggs Julia was divine.

One nice thing about going to Palo earlier in the trip is that if you really love your server, you can request them on subsequent visits to Palo later on your cruise.

Oh- and this picture is just for the sake of beauty:

7fa4193e-3a39-4eb9-bad1-67aaa1976b11_zps9pvgafy5.jpg

We took our time at Palo. Our reservation was from 11 AM to 1 PM- so we gladly savored every moment.

Nothing ever popped up on our Wave Phone, so when we went to pick up William - I had no doubt that he had a lovely time. When I first went back to work, William went to daycare full time. It wasn't quite as painful as I thought it was going to be and we fell in love with our daycare. Now he only goes to daycare 1.5 days a week; my parents watch him three days a week and Andrew's mother watches him the other .5 day. Such a lucky boy.

Perhaps it's because he spends his time with three different people throughout the week that we are really flexible with schedules.

e5070581-0111-49ca-9d4d-c1b17111fd75_zpsdrlj2nro.jpg

(Don't you just want to squeeze those little cheeks?!)

I knew that William would probably be ready for a nap. Heck...Mommy was ready for a nap! So I changed him into his jammies and we cuddled into bed.

As soon as character meet and greet tickets were available to book online (WOOOHOO!), I snatched up a Frozen Meet and Greet for this first sea day at 3:15 PM.

As 3 PM neared, I contemplated waking William up for the event. I thought about it... and thought about it... and realized that if I woke him up, it would purely be for me and not him. So I let him sleep. And this set the tone for the rest of the cruise. I was going to follow William's lead. I would just go with the flow.

324ac8ed-80c0-4356-803a-5973d690b365_zpsrmopro0h.jpg

I waited for Andrew to come back down from the Overlook Cafe, where he had been relaxing and reading his kindle.

13495196_10101088353957040_2349547482589313061_n_zps0hm4gnza.jpg

The scenery had begun to remind me of the foggy Pacific Northwest that was the backdrop of all the Twilight novels.

Every time we passed a waterfall, the grandma and grandpa-like couple next door exclaimed, "Oh my god!" And that seemed to capture my own sentiments as well. Since the cruise, I've wondered what makes waterfalls so amazing. What forces us stop what we are doing and gaze until the waterfall passes out out sight? Is it that we are so used to seeing water flat on the ground? That each and every waterfall is different and unique? The nail technician on the ship told me that her roommate asked her, "Where does all the water come from? Will it ever stop?"

The waterfalls on our first sea day were delicate and seemed dainty from the ship. They tumbled out of the thick forest to the water below, shrouded in mist and fog.

04661596-feeb-4c84-aeac-736bbe929a80_zpsixwg4bwt.jpg

Although I would have been content to have just sat in our room, sipping tea and watching the misty forest glide by, Andrew wanted to explore the boat. Ah ha! Which obviously means to check out the git shops, right? right? :) But Andrew indulged me. He knew it was only a matter of time...

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't really have anything in William's size. Although- look at this ADORABLE book that I got downstairs in the "native" store (Radar Trap) next to Route 66:
https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Alphabet-Northwest-Coast-Native/dp/1554761646
d9cd2a18ceca16320b8ef93734c9d982.jpg

On a Side Note: I was really into buying scarves on this trip.
39fb6d99-f328-4366-8825-a086bc8565ed_zpsqnzbcnes.jpg

You will see a lot of the same adorable stuff on the boat as you will in the ports. And to be honest, the prices are pretty similar.

Pretty much everything at the Radar Trap store is on this website: http://www.nativenorthwestselect.com/

After we poked around the stores a bit, we headed to Deck 9 to find the infamous cinnamon pretzel stuffed with cream cheese. The crew members at the Pluto's Dog House kindly pointed us in the direction of Pincocchio's Pizza and the guys were really fun. I think it was about a 10 minutes and we gladly waited. Andrew went to get hot chocolate for us, as I bundled William up in a blanket from the deck.

We watched Enchanted on the tunnel vision for a bit while we all indulged in the pretzely goodness.

1fdb7d41-6ebd-467c-9f29-727fdee412d1_zpsbh04ultp.jpg

I had lost track of time on the deck. So it was probably around 5:15ish when we headed back in and the Welcome Reception had already begun. Andrew asked if I wanted to go, as I mentioned earlier that I really really had wanted to go... Hello? Free booze!? YES! But I envisioned going in our formal attire and didn't want to go in our loungey clothes.
:: shrugs ::

So instead we just headed to the room to get ready for formal night. William and I took another relaxing bath.

261142a6-5c50-4a36-83e3-1b71f549a5aa_zps7lvdarwv.jpg

Earlier in the day I attempted to ditch that cocktail glass. I tried to wash it out in the bathroom sink, but it was still really sticky. So I ultimately decided just to throw it on the room service tray to make it disappear. Instead it reappeared in our stateroom all clean and shiny. Haha.

After we got all spiffed up, we headed down to Parrot Cay.
732a876f-8a7b-4583-802b-fd2e8a5b8935_zpslfrpznjy.jpg

If Parrot Cay was going to remain on the Wonder- I would try to make sure that our formal night didn't land on it's rotation again. However, perhaps the "southern charm" of Tiana's place will make it a moot point. (Although I still feel that the ideal restaurant on the Wonder for formal night is Triton's)

I was relieved that the dinner experience from the night before wasn't repeated. In fact, my appetizer and salad arrived to the dining room before I did (Woohoo!). William ate quite a bit of my salmon appetizer and I should have asked for another. It was very good. :)

My slow roasted prime rib arrived... with more steamed cauliflower and broccoli. No butter. No Salt. No Pepper. No saute. No browning.
f0258ce6-97be-468b-b0d5-16473eeede3d_zpssttdbqno.jpg

I didn't see the head server at all during this meal, so I expressed vehemently to our server that the dinner for the following night looked perfectly wonderful for my sensitivities/diet- so that it could come just as the menu read. It would be fantastic.

At no point did our server give us the "excellent" speech (trying to stress the importance of rating crew members excellent on the surveys at the end of the trip), perhaps because he knew he service wasn't excellent? He didn't address me by name...or at all... until the last day of the cruise. He would say, "Hello, Andrew! Hello, William" and it was like I didn't exist.

I should also mention that this was the first time we have really seen William express toddler behavior during dinnertime before. He insisted on trying to clear everything off the table like a little bitty godzilla.
3ca8efda-75b0-4245-a3ce-cac6bfd2f899_zpsufjuq0nv.jpg

(Where did our sweet baby go? Did the cinnamon cream cheese pretzel make him go a little spicy?)

I really wanted a few formal pictures, but William was just being a nut- so we let him burn off some steam in the atrium. While toddling around, we met a beautiful little girl with her grandmother (see above). Grandma didn't seem to speak English, but I thought it was such a special moment, because babies and Disney transcends all language.

We were first in line for the formal picture and William was just SO squirmy- I thought it was going to be impossible to get a good picture, but it actually became the best picture of the entire trip:
0833b2b7-8d59-4d36-9e27-234386dadbd0_zpsmxaazrdj.jpg

(The only thing that I think it just a little bit odd is...we aren't quite looking into the camera. Where were looking?)

We also tried to take a picture with Minnie and for some reason- I didn't give them my phone. Guess I will still in novice cruising mode. I actually took all the pictures on our trip with my Samsung Galaxy S6. I don't take pictures on a camera during my everyday life, so I figured I wouldn't try to balance a camera and toddler on our first family vacation. I also read other trip reports where people mentioned that they wished they didn't spend so much time behind their camera lens... and it's tempting, because there are so many beautiful things to try to capture on "film" while in Alaska.

WHEW! What a dinner and evening. Andrew kindly let me hit up the Quiet Cover again before the show. This time I spent my 30 or so minutes in the pool, somersaulting and floating back and forth in the pool, which seems quite large when no one else is in it. It felt like pure bliss... floating weightlessly in warm water, while gliding across the sea. I can definitely see why pool time is usually such a hot commodityl! True contentment.

I headed back up to the room and changed into comfy clothes and SLIPPERS. This was the first of many times that I wore my slippers while exploring the ship. It's a bit of an indulgent thing to pack and takes up a bit of room, but nothing feels like vacation than extreme comfort. However, I do have to admit that it did feel weird practically being in pajamas during the Golden Mickeys when others were still in formal attire.

Perhaps it was because we had such an easy time finding seats the night before, we were a bit lackadaisical and arrived only about 10 minutes out from showtime. I was concerned that we weren't going to find two seats together. The theater was absolutely packed. But then, our awesome tour guide from earlier in the day caught my eye and said, "Are you looking for two seats!?" And we scored two aisle seats together in the middle of the theater. :tinker:

As you may recall from the previous evening, William totally slept through that show and I wondered if he would so conveniently sleep through all the shows...
But our little sir was bright eyed, even in his jammies, and ready for the show:

38049922-7475-419c-b5ee-4642be54d42a_zpsbmqeb7a8.jpg

Gosh. And he loved every moment of it. He would stand up on my legs and jump up and down, clap and blow kisses. I think he recognized a lot of the songs from our Disney pandora station at home. This was one of our favorite performances, just because we were so delighted at William's reaction. He danced with delight until the very last moment.

Perhaps it was all that excitement that made it particularly easy to put William down for bed.

Or it could have been the work out he had on the stairs. He had a glorious time pounding his little hands on the steps.
2301cc84-9c15-4213-bac1-8011c98db462_zpsbvbqq0fc.jpg

Andrew went to cognac tasting at 10 PM and said that it was a GREAT deal. For $25, he said that they tasted easily over $100 worth of cognac.

William and I were both sound asleep by the time he got back into the stateroom.

Reflections on Our First Sea Day:

So the Hecate Stait area is an ICAs, which is an "Important Cetacean Areas," so although the scenery isn't mesmerizing, this first sea day has a lot of potential for whale watching

I did have a really wonderful day, but I think if I knew about the Hecate strait previously, I might have begun my day FIRST thing with a coffee on the Starboard side of the Overlook Cafe to see if I could spot any fin whales off the coast of Princess Royal Island. That is also where a resident pod of killer whales hang out:
f852f30b-e9f4-4996-b956-37fc7a65b7e2_zpsqzz1bde3.jpg

It's worth a shot, right? Humpbacks seem to hang out on both sides of the ship.

Fin whales are an endangered species. Between 1925 and 1975, almost 48,000 fin whales were reportedly killed by commercial whalers in the North Pacific, including Alaskan waters; commercial hunting has been banned since.
This is a fin whale in the Hecate strait:
jonathan-kingston-a-fin-whale-earth-s-second-largest-animal-swimming-in-hecate-strait-at-sunset.jpg

Fin whales are the second largest animals on earth, only second to the blue whale. Can you imagine seeing one of these whales breach? It's very uncommon.

However, I was going on a whale watching excursion later in the week, so if I knew that the scenery was going to be better on the last sea day, I definitely would have scheduled our massage or other indoor activities on the first sea day.

This would be a good day to see a movie.I would also recommend checking out the rainforest room on this first sea day. Preparing for a vacation is pretty stressful! Aaahhh.... I can just imagine all my tension melting away in those warmed title loungers.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter