Latest on Teen Beach near Serenity Bay

BigJon

will work for Dole Whip
Just got off the Disney Magic today, and yesterday while we were at Castaway Cay, I asked a couple of cast members about the new teen beach beside of Serenity Bay. As you can see, there are mounds of sand. Both cast members said this was going to be "smoothed out", and made ready for the teen beach. On the left side of this picture, you can see the hammocks. I'm sure most of you know, but this picture was taken in front of the Castaway Air bar.
2zisbiw.jpg

A closer view, where you can see the mounds of sand. They told me that it should be completed by the end of this year, or maybe the first of next year. If you look at the far end of the beach, you will see some colored umbrellas that are not folded out. This is the crew beach.
2yjo38z.jpg

I rode with the pool supervisor of the Disney Magic on the tram, and he said the teen counselors would be at the teen beach to make sure that they didn't go on the adult side of Serenity Bay, and he also said they would not be allowed at the Serenity Bay BBQ. I was one of the first ones at Serenity Bay, and I think we were the last ones to leave, and the lifeguard on the jet ski only went into the water twice the entire day. One time a group of people had stopped at the end of the bike path, and they came out onto the beach, and another time, the lifeguard rode to the very end of the beach, and turned around and came back. So, the sounds of the jet ski were not bothersome while we were there. Before we boarded the ship that afternoon, I was looking for the "boss" of Castaway Cay (Guenter), but I didn't see him. I knew he would be the final authority on the teen beach, and probably my best source of information, but Guenter (spelling ??) was on vacation........jonathan
207ni2o.jpg

Well.... I know that teens don't normally want to hang out with their parents, because "we're not cool" (mine doesn't anyway) but I don't know how I feel about this. I've never actually been to Castaway Cay, first time next year! but I imagine that the adult section wouldn't be as quiet and secluded if a bunch of teens are put close by. Most teenagers, mine included, either don't notice they're being too loud or don't care that they're being loud. We will see I guess....

Also I don't like the idea of a bunch of teens hanging out without adult supervision on a beach, just because of trust issues I have with my own. I guess it's not that different from them hanging out at the pool though.

I was really hoping that the original information was incorrect and the teen beach wasn't really happening since it DIDN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. Not sure what DCL is thinking with this move. Just another change that makes me look at other cruise lines.

Personally I think the teens are in every way allowed their 'space' at SB. After all, it is their cruise too! There is minimal stuff for older teens to do as it is and anyway I sure wouldn't begrudge them this!! I have been at SB when a large group of 'adult' were noise makers galore, and obnoxious to the hilt. I would be glad seeing the teens having fun, playing beach volley ball etc. I hope they have a blast after all CC is for ALL ages.

I feel bad for the crew....before this decision they had at least some privacy while using the crew beach. It was far enough away that they didn't have to deal with guests on their down time. Now it seems that they will not have much privacy at all.

We never use SB. In all our cruises we prefer the family beach as we are usually with a group of all ages but I totally can understand how some who love SB will feel it will not be as serene as before. That teen beach is close. I thought the teens and preteens had a huge beach at the end of the family beach. At least it was that in the past.

MJ

MJ,

That was my thought exactly. Beyond the rope has always been off limits for guests, the teen area is completely within that past guest area. I can always move further down the beach if I want distance, the crew are kind of trapped. My upcoming first experience with teen beach being nearby will not be my only measure, I have to give it a little time to work out the bugs.

It has to be 13-17 since they consider 18 as adult regarding access to adult areas.

I thought the teens and preteens had a huge beach at the end of the family beach. At least it was that in the past.
Yes, when Disney put in the family beach cabanas they took the teen beach area. It was roughly in the space where the "new" cabanas are now.

Shmoo I thought they took away the teen beach when they expanded the beach area when the Dream and the Fantasy started sailing???

Shmoo I thought they took away the teen beach when they expanded the beach area when the Dream and the Fantasy started sailing???
Well, could be, I just know that when Pelican Plunge was opened the teen beach went away. I'm not sure what time frame that was in relation to the cabanas being added.

EDIT: did some research - Pelican Plunge opened in March 2010, and the cabanas opened in September the same year. So, all the development that took away the teen beach was basically in the same time frame.

The Dream joined the fleet in Jan 2011, and the Fantasy in Mar 2012, so after the beach was gone.

Last edited:
So close. Did not think it was going to be that close. Well if the water level is as deep as when we went. (Waist high since it seemed to be low tide) doubt many will want to stay there. Just wondering will the counselors be holding activities that have them doing lots of splashing and noise making? Time will tell how well this works. So they will not have a place to eat that seems very inconvenient for them.

can't the crew go to the opposite side of the island? isn't there cottages there etc.?

Well, could be, I just know that when Pelican Plunge was opened the teen beach went away. I'm not sure what time frame that was in relation to the cabanas being added.

EDIT: did some research - Pelican Plunge opened in March 2010, and the cabanas opened in September the same year. So, all the development that took away the teen beach was basically in the same time frame.

The Dream joined the fleet in Jan 2011, and the Fantasy in Mar 2012, so after the beach was gone.

Thanks Shmoo you are correct. When I read that the teen beach was closed when they were building the cabanas I thought you meant the newer ones that were just built DUH!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!