Late arrival - should I call the resort?

Kayleebug

Always planning my next trip for some more magic!
We'll be arriving by car around 10-11 pm. Should I call the resort and tell them that we'll be arriving late? I'm very concerned that they'll give my requested room away and we'll be stuck in the back of the resort by arriving late, but there's not much I can do about it because of work (I'm a teacher - last day of school). :confused3

We had a similar situation last time we visited the WORLD and decided to stay offsite in a cheaper hotel nearby and check-in early the next day. My theory was that we would have wasted all of the benefits of staying onsite by arriving that late and spent more money. I also thought that we got a better room by checking in early. We couldn't get in the room but we went to the park anyway. Just a thought.

I've already booked it with dining and it's too late to change it w/o losing $, so that's really not an option for me at this point. That is what we've done in the past, but we decided to come straight to the resort this time.

We're arriving in 11 days. Is that too early to call?

the resort knows about you about a week prior to your check-in.

they aren't technically supposed to deal with you personally until day of.

your requested room can't be saved/guaranteed for you unless there's a block placed on it preventing other CMs from re-assigning it and that would be primarily for medical purposes.

on that same token, checking in in the morning wouldn't be any different because the room still could have been re-assigned. and on a tangent, they can move you at your request during any point of your stay as well.

but you can certainly try.

We will also be arriving late, our flight lands at 10 PM. I called CRO and had them note it on my reservation.

Yeah, have it noted on the reservation, and worse case you could move to a different room the next day, if need be. I know some debate this, but after 11 trips in the last 5 years, where we've arrived early & we've arrived late, I've definitely noticed a difference in the room location that we receive if we check in early vs. late at night. Whenever possible, if I'm staying at a deluxe, I stay somewhere else the night before and then check in to our main resort around 11:00 AM. There's a chance your room won't be ready, but that's only happened to us once.

Yeah, have it noted on the reservation, and worse case you could move to a different room the next day, if need be. I know some debate this, but after 11 trips in the last 5 years, where we've arrived early & we've arrived late, I've definitely noticed a difference in the room location that we receive if we check in early vs. late at night. Whenever possible, if I'm staying at a deluxe, I stay somewhere else the night before and then check in to our main resort around 11:00 AM. There's a chance your room won't be ready, but that's only happened to us once.

I totally agree with this. We usually stay at CBR. I have always gotten a better room when we checked in late morning as opposed to in the evening. In 05 when we checked in around 11:00 p.m., we got a terrible room in whatever Trinidad village is the farthest away from everything (sorry can't remember if it is north or south). I had requested Aruba, but nothing was available there. She told me that I could make a switch to Aruba the next day and everything worked out fine.

For our upcoming trip this June, we probably won't be checking in until around 9:00 p.m., so I doubt I will get something in Arbua. Hopefully, if nothing is available, we will be able to make a switch like the last time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

your requested room can't be saved/guaranteed for you unless there's a block placed on it preventing other CMs from re-assigning it and that would be primarily for medical purposes.
Exactly. Calling the resort to ask them to please hold your room with all your requests will have no effect.

Also, no need to worry about arriving late in general ... as long as you chck-in before 6:00 a.m. the following day, you aren't considered a no-show.

We'll be arriving by car around 10-11 pm. Should I call the resort and tell them that we'll be arriving late? I'm very concerned that they'll give my requested room away and we'll be stuck in the back of the resort by arriving late, but there's not much I can do about it because of work (I'm a teacher - last day of school). :confused3

I would call them, but that's no guarantee that they will honor requests. Requests are exactly that- requests. Staying offsite the first night and checking in first thing in the am might give you a better chance. If not, you could always move the next day if something becomes available.

We are having the same issue, and it appears we are arriving on the same day:) If you're staying at POR, maybe I'll see you at the front desk ;)

We arrived a day earlier than we thought last summer. As we were driving we called POR but they were totally booked. We booked ASMu and didn't arrive until 11:30 pm. I didn't like where they put us and asked for a room on the first floor closest to a parking lot. She went in the back and came back with a room number that was exactly what I asked for.

This year we are driving from Destin and won't be checking in until about four. Do you think this means we will get a bad room assignment at POR?

A room is guaranteed until around 6am the morning after your check-in date, just maybe not the one you wanted.

If your room request is very specific, there's absolutely no guarantee that they can keep that for you -- even if you call.

If you're travelling Magical Express - they know full well your arrival time.

If you are renting a car, you can simply have the Disney Reservation Center make a note on your reservation.

As for this question:
This year we are driving from Destin and won't be checking in until about four. Do you think this means we will get a bad room assignment at POR?

I should think that - depending on how busy the resort is -- you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about this too much. Too much reading of these boards can sometimes lead to unwarranted 'over-stressing' about the smallest details. :)

Maybe we should come up a name for that... "Disney Anxiety Disorder" -DAD for short..Maybe have a fundraiser.... The proceeds of which allow me to become the full-time researcher and travel to Disney more frequently in the name of scientific investigation.

;)

Knox

Maybe we should come up a name for that... "Disney Anxiety Disorder" -DAD for short..Maybe have a fundraiser.... The proceeds of which allow me to become the full-time researcher and travel to Disney more frequently in the name of scientific investigation.

;)

Knox
:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: I'll fight you for the job ;)

We are having the same issue, and it appears we are arriving on the same day:) If you're staying at POR, maybe I'll see you at the front desk ;)

We'll be at the FQ. Walk over and have some beignets!!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter