Last time you were at your

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by low-key, Nov 24, 2012.

1. superme80

superme80 DIS Veteran

I went back last December for a bridal shower, private Christian school. It felt very weird to be back.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Hyonlyf

Hyonlyf ...always with a book...

My children, ages 22-8, all go/went to the schools my husband and I did too. Some teachers are STILL there LOL

The biggest thing I notice is the school seemed so much bigger when I was there! Or perhaps I was smaller...

4. MichelleinMaine

MichelleinMaine DIS Veteran

We live in the town I spent most of my childhood in, so my kids have gone to all my schools (plus one more built recently).

As a previous poster said, it's funny the number of teachers still there. (DS had my kindergarten teacher.) The crazier thing is at the high school. DS now has many of the same teachers I had... and many of the others were classmates of mine.

5. Pixiedust34

Pixiedust34 <font color=blue>It's like I'm stuck in a music ti

Not since my childhood. I moved out-of-state, and my old school was torn down years ago. It was an old building, I think built around 1910-1920, probably filled with lead paint, asbestos, etc. When I watch the movie The Christmas Story that school in the movie reminds me of my old school, a big fortress of a building.

One thing I remember is that we had "cloak rooms" which is where we kept our lunch boxes and coats. There were no lockers. Each classroom had a little annex room called the "cloak room." :goodvibes

A few years ago, I did drive past the place where the school once stood. It's all different now, with a housing unit for senior citizens built on the grounds.

6. Keli

Keli <font color=darkcoral>We're smarter than the avera

When we visit my hometown, usually for funerals :( I often drive around my old stomping grounds and look things over. The town has turned from a blue collar working class town to an outright ghetto IMHO. I would be afraid to get out of the car and walk around my old elementry school without someone with me even in broad daylight. There's always seedy looking adults hanging around when you drive by and school isn't in session.
    The ironic thing is my cousin was elected mayor a year or so ago. I hope he can clean that place up.

7. luvsJack

luvsJack DIS Veteran

The first grade school I attended has been turned into low income apartments! Its kind of odd because it still looks like a school with the hall down the center and the rooms on either side.

The gym is still there and ds used to have wrestling shows there each weekend. I was shocked when I saw how well it has held up. The floor is still in good shape.

8. JVL1018

JVL1018 Guest

I live a town away from where I grew up, and my best friend lives right by my elementary school, so I drive past it relatively often, but haven't been inside since my 2 years younger brother left (in 3rd grade-for a while they changed elementary to k-3, middle was 4-7 and HS was 8-12) so probably 1982.

My children attended the same elementary school my husband did, so he's there a couple times a year. I'm there every day.

9. Meriweather

Meriweather Aria's Nana

I went to 3 different ones in 3 cities, and haven't been back to any of them in many years. We have lived in a different state for over 30 years and no reason to go back by any of them.

10. DawnM

DawnM Dawn

I haven't been back since 1994. I grew up overseas though, so it would be a huge deal to go visit.

It was also my high school though......K-12 boarding school.

11. Mom_Rides

Mom_Rides DIS Veteran

I attended 3 elementary schools. The first one I attended closed last year. The second and third ones were torn down. The second one had a new school built on the property and the third relocated to another plot of land. My junior high is still an open school but my high school was torn down and rebuilt.

I have only been back to the High School for my cousins functions and have not been there since it was rebuilt. I have no desire to return.

12. Talking Hands

Talking Hands <font color=purple><b>|,,|/</b> DEAF DISNEY LOVER<

Which grade school? I went to so many. Before I was married and I still in DC I walked by the grade school I went to in 2nd grade everyday. Now I am in Florida I am far from all the schools I went to except college. I go there on occasion for concerts.

13. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

I drive by mine a couple of times a week, it was turned into an Adult Education center about 25 years ago, with the same name, and this year they leased it out to a private school, so now the name has changed. But it's been 43 years since I went to school there.

Would be strange to me to have my kids having the same teachers as me. Teachers here max out on their retirement at 30 years service, and most had years on the job when I had them, so they were long retired by the time my kids hit Kindergarten.

14. PeterPanic

PeterPanic <font color=royalblue>I hate the squeeze thingy. I

The school I went too was built in 1867. I started first grade in 1954 so it was pretty old then. It stood empty for many years after they opened the new school and was finally torn down in 1965. It's just a parking lot now. I was in there after they had moved to the new one and all the hardwood floors had buckled. It was kinda sad to see.

15. DVC-Don

DVC-Don DIS Veteran

I went to 3 different grade schools. I know two of them are no longer schools (one is now a library and the other was a police station till a couple of years ago - empty now.) I can not even recall the name of my first school.

16. dznygurl

dznygurl Mouseketeer

I teach at the same elementary school I attended as a child. My kids go to the same schools as well. It was a very strange feeling walking into the high school as a parent seeing a couple of my old teachers still teaching there.

17. aprilgail2

aprilgail2 Guest

My daughter went to the same grade school as I did and is now in the same Jr. High as I was. Last week I was talking to 2 of her teacher who I also had when I went there! Her 5th grade teacher in grade school was also my teacher.