Last minute trip, need expert help.

petunia

DIS Veteran
Hi all, we usually do Disney every year, stay on site, book our dining 180 days in advance etc...we were skipping this year and had decided due to the low CAD we would go every other year. I may have recently convinced the hubby to do a short last minute trip in August. However, I need to make it reasonably priced and it seems any way I slice it (book hotel/flight separate, package, wait for free dining, Buffalo) its hard to manage so late in the game, as Im used to planning a year in advance..any advice is appreciated. We are 2 adults, 17yo, 10yo and 8yo, dates must be August 3 or 25, for 6/7 days. I would have considered driving but we are restricted to a week due to sports commitment so that wont work. Ideally, I would like dining plan, so our food is prepaid to avoid spending USD, but I also assume we wouldnt get many dinner ressies. Writing all this makes me think I should wait till next year lol..I didnt figure I would miss WDW so much;)

We have done last minute a few times and you would be surprised what ADR's and FPP you can get last minute. While 180 out is when it opens I have found that at 30 days out heck even a week out that we have often found what we were looking for.

There are still rooms available under the Free Dining promo starting August 25th. I'm seeing an All Star Music Suite or an Art of Animation Suite. That would include the quick service DDP. If you wanted the DDP that includes a table service meal you would pay the upgrade fee as well (you can do that online). I don't know what you are looking to spend, but if you want to be onsite and the dining plan, I think that will be the best bet.
You would get dinner reservations, but would have to be flexible on times and where you are going. Also perhaps watch to catch cancellations as people release them.
As far as flights, Southwest out of Buffalo is looking ok at end of August, but again, I'm not sure of your exact dates.
I think it can be done, just not sure of your budget. Good Luck :)

ETA) I would price out what I suggested, but then try a site like Expedia or Redtag.ca , Airtransat Vacations, e.t.c and compare what they would want for a free dining package flying out of Toronto. Those would be priced in Canadian. With the exchange the way it is, it might be cheaper to leave from Canada once it's all converted.

If you're being cost conscious, also try United out of Rochester, NY. They have a connecting flight (5:45 hrs in total) into Orlando from August 25 to 30 for US$213.20 return each. You should also frequent the following Dining Reservations thread for August to see if you can coordinate picking up someone's reservations they don't need. link: http://www.disboards.com/threads/ne...6-cancelled-adr-thread-read-1st-post.3484538/

As for hotels, you could also book 2 separate rooms at All-Star Sports with 1 adult and 1 kid, then 1 adult and 2 kids on the booking. The pricing works out about $200 cheaper than the suite.

Last edited:

I would recommend the later dates, both for FD and crowds will start to get less. It will still be hot but maybe 1 or 2 degrees cooler. I have winged it in the past, and this September I will be doing the same. No dining planned just eat where we can, but not as busy end of Sept.

Thanks all! We are usually 6, but oldest will not be coming, so Im wondering where can you fit 5, that isnt deluxe? Is it just AoA, AsMu and the cabins? Or maybe even deluxe, if we can fit 5 in one room?

Also, if you book a package thru redtag/expedia etc, will it give you the option to add free dining? I was wondering how to add that (free or not) if I packaged the flight and hotel, as I havent noticed it as an add on option.

Also, would the cabin count for free quick service plan, or regular ddp?

Last edited:
So a quick check for you Cabins are $4438, with the reg dP, AoA is 4351 but witgh QS, and AsMu at 3917 again with QS.
for the difference I would do the upgrade dining. There is also Wilderness Lodge, deluxe at 4821.
These all have the water parks and more added to them, if wanting to switch to the PH add maybe 30. But I might depending on the flights drop a day of tickets and that would offset that cost.
Good Luck

So a quick check for you Cabins are $4438, with the reg dP, AoA is 4351 but witgh QS, and AsMu at 3917 again with QS.
for the difference I would do the upgrade dining. There is also Wilderness Lodge, deluxe at 4821.
These all have the water parks and more added to them, if wanting to switch to the PH add maybe 30. But I might depending on the flights drop a day of tickets and that would offset that cost.
Good Luck
Sorry, was that just hotel and dining (no flights) and USD, direct thru Disney? Thanks!

Correct no flights, hotel, DP and tickets. Direct on the website. The only other option that might be cheaper besides staying offsite, is to rent points with a DVC member and pay out of pocket for tickets and food.

We are a family of five and have stayed at Caribbean Beach resort and the Alligator Bayou section at Port Orleans Resort. They both have a small pull down bed from the wall, so you can sleep five and get the regular dinning plan.

Nothing is coming for CArribean beach that will fit 5, but I did see Wilderness Lodge wasnt too expensive and 5 in a studio, likely due to construction. Im finding it would be cheaper to find a package on a travel site including flight/hotel, because it would be in CAD. As, when I quote a room and ddp on the wdw site, then convert it, plus add flights from either airport it is a lot!

I dont seem to be finding options to add ddp on travel sites, am I able to call wdw and add after I book a package from a third party? That is a deal breaker for us..

Ok, if you go from August 28 to September 3 there is available rooms at the Disney moderate Caribbean Beach Resort. Standard room that sleeps 5, includes free regular dining, with 5 day disney park tickets. In order to qualify for this package, the park tickets had to include the upgraded Water Park Fun and more option, so everyone has five visits to both disney water parks, golf, and ESPN Wild World of Sports. Price is $3400.40US. I don't know where you live for flight prices? Does that help? I've never booked disney via a third party so I have no info on those questions. I'm pretty sure WestJet vacations offer free dining with their Disney packages.

Ok, if you go from August 28 to September 3 there is available rooms at the Disney moderate Caribbean Beach Resort. Standard room that sleeps 5, includes free regular dining, with 5 day disney park tickets. In order to qualify for this package, the park tickets had to include the upgraded Water Park Fun and more option, so everyone has five visits to both disney water parks, golf, and ESPN Wild World of Sports. Price is $3400.40US. I don't know where you live for flight prices? Does that help? I've never booked disney via a third party so I have no info on those questions. I'm pretty sure WestJet vacations offer free dining with their Disney packages.

Unfortunately, we have to go either August 3, or 25 for 6/7 days.

We are leaning towards the last week in August to take advantage of the FD. Since we are 5, and would like the regular ddp, would it be advisable to book a value and upgrade to ddp, or stay at cheapest moderate, which ever that is, so we would get the ddp right off the bat?

If you stay at a value with a party of five, you will need two rooms or a suite and they are both more expensive than booking a moderate resort that sleeps five.

Oh really? Excellent! So Port Orleans and Caribbean Beach are my options, that sleep 5, correct?

Yes, but at Port Orleans you have to make sure you book the alligator bayou section. It is the only section that sleeps five. It is also very "rustic" looking. The rooms look like a cabin interior with patchwork bedding (at least it did the last time we were there in 2009). If you want a more upscale room the Caribbean Beach Resort had newly remodelled rooms for five (we were there in 2014). Look up pictures of each resort to see what would suit your family best.

So here is your challenge. The Free Dining promotion is only applicable for select Moderate hotels including: Coronodo Springs, Caribbean Beach, and Fort Wilderness. Unfortunately, only Caribbean Beach and Fort Wilderness can accommodate 5 people in one room. If you check your dates, you will notice that Caribbean Beach Resort is completely booked in and around your dates in late August. Your options now are:
  • Book the Free Dining at the All-Star Music Resort in a suite and upgrade to regular dining if you so choose.
  • Book the Free Dining with 2 Regular Value Resort rooms (1 adult + 1 child in Room 1, 1 adult + 2 children in Room 2) requesting joining rooms and upgrade to regular dining if you so choose.
  • Book a room only booking for a Value or Moderate through Disney or Cheaptickets (using the 18% discount) and add dining (for Disney bookings only) or pay out of pocket (which can be cheaper).

Oh of course, only my luck..I wonder if AoA is an option
YES it is, just looked for you and a suite (either kind) is available August 25th for 6 nights/7 days (think that's what you said)
with 7 days tickets
Quick service --4329.73
Regular dining - 4727.71 US funds

BUT!!! i just found this, which i think is a better deal --- (i mean at that price point)
A Cabin at FW for 4417.53

ALSO Westjet is still showing packages open at AllStar Music suites ... you'll just need to poke around and decide which option you like there (slightly too confusing for my sleep deprived mind)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter