last minute car rental??? Priceline???

jennr620

Earning My Ears
I'm afraid that at the last minute I'll change my mind and panic about not having a rental car. Anyone have any success bidding on priceline?

We got a rental car through Priceline last year. It wasn't last minute but I think I booked a few weeks in advance. We got the offer of $13 per day for a midsize, then upgraded to a fullsize (I think) for $18 per day.

The company we got was Hertz. We rented for 10 days. When we got to the terminal they had upgraded us to an SUV! It was great!

Kathy

Priceline is the only way I go for round trip car rentals for all of our trips. :thumbsup2

There's a website that can help see what others have bid (and won) that really help me start out my bidding. Check out betterbidding.com to see what's the "going rate" for cars, as well as hotels.

Good luck!

I used Hotwire, watched the rates and then decided to get a premium for $18 a day, about 2 weeks 2 days out. When I got there we got a Nissan Murano on the premium isle. THe mid size were dirt cheap too. Our rental was through Alamo when the deal came through. Counter to leaving was about 20 minutes.
I guess I could have done without a car, but we did make a pharmacy run, pick up soda, and then had dinner with friends off site one night.
Ours came to a week for $18 a day, $7o in cost for under $200. The mid size was about $130 and we could have made due with that.

We'll be needing a rental car from Orlando Sanford on March 29th-April 6th. Any good deals you are aware of from that airport? I've tried Priceline....suggested bids are in the $48/day and up range and that's for a standard and mid size vehicle!! I'm assuming the posts saying they got their cars for $18/day flew into Orlando. Am I right? Thanks.

We'll be needing a rental car from Orlando Sanford on March 29th-April 6th. Any good deals you are aware of from that airport? I've tried Priceline....suggested bids are in the $48/day and up range and that's for a standard and mid size vehicle!! I'm assuming the posts saying they got their cars for $18/day flew into Orlando. Am I right? Thanks.

You might want to try Budget using BCD D454300 and E-Coupon MUGZ029 for $30.00 off. Total inc taxes after coupon is applied when return vehicle is $205.34 for an intermediate SUV from Sanford.

FYI for next time, don't believe the Priceline suggested bids. Sure, they would like you to pay that because they make a bunch more money off of you but almost always you can bid below the suggested bid and still win. Don't be scared off by the suggested bid, bid lower and see what happens. If you have some time before your trip I believe you can rebid after a waiting period if your bid was too low so that's the way to go. If you bid too high you can't change it, but if you bid too low you can rebid higher later after the waiting period. You can probably also rebid under a spouses name right away if they have a different credit card number to use.

I tried starting at $20 and went up to $30/day over the span of a few days...yes, once per day per name (spouse and I both). I got nothing! Thank goodness I got nothing because with webworm's advice I was able to get an Intermediate SUV through Budget for $167 (8 days).

We have never had luck with Priceline on anything. We feel it must be us with their stock over $600.00 someone likes them.

I don't use Priceline much but I have scored some pretty good deals there. I guess the key is it helps to be bidding on a lot of excess inventory which will be deeply discounted. OP's dates are in peak season so I guess there's not much excess inventory to drive prices down. It doesn't hurt to try though but as you found out there may be nothing there. I'm glad you found a good deal elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter