Laptops

emily1982

<font color=purple>Esteemed and very valued DIS Ve
ok, so i'm going to disney at xmas with the plan of getting an ipod whilst over there, but i was reading somewhere about someone buying a laptop whilst there from walmart...i was just wondering has anyone ever done this and appart from the plugs etc what problems might i occur? Thanks

Plenty of people have bought IPod's over there. You can charge it up via a laptop or buy a special adaptor that plugs straight into our mains. You attach the IPod to the laptop and the adaptor via a special usb cable.

Thanks for the reply...has anyone brought just a laptop, just wondering if the programs worked the same etc?

Programs would work the same, but electrical current(sp?) might be an issue.

VSL said:
Programs would work the same, but electrical current(sp?) might be an issue.

i think that all laptops work with transformers that step down the voltage...
make sure the laptop transformer can work with 220 voltage....(i would assume that they all do, since the purpose of a laptop is be able to travel anywher with it)...

if they don't have the plug adapters for the cord, you'll be able to get that back in the UK...

however, having said the above, i personally don't think it's such a great idea to buy something like a laptop overseas....even if i have to pay somewhat more, I like to have a store that i can take the laptop back to if there are problems with it...
i suppose if you get a name brand you'll be able to get support, but still, i prefer to buy things like this at home..

i thought that too about thw warrenty, but i was looking at Walmart ones which can be taken back.

There are two major issues and two minor issues here.

Major 1

Although laptops are designed for travel, many US citizens only travel within the US. Consequently it is not uncommon to have a 110v only AC adapter. You need to physically check that the AC adapter is 'voltage seeking' to allow it to work with UK mains voltages. It should read something like '90 - 240v AC input'

Major 2

Warranty is an issue if you buy a less well-known brand. If you buy a well-known international make, then it will come with an international warranty - check. If the laptop fails completely, you can take items purchased in Wal*Mart to any ASDA for a refund.

Minor 1

Any integrated DVD player will be for Region 1 DVDs. Check that this can be reset to Region 2 for UK DVDs (Sony can be particularly difficult in this respect)

Minor 2

The US bought laptop will have a US keyboard. Whilst the character mapping can be reset, the keytops cannot. Until you get very used to it, you will make mistakes.

One other minor issue to consider and that is customs duty. As the allowance is only £145 a lap top would certainly be over that and you would have to pay duty on entering the UK. Even if the customs officers do the composite rate you are still looking at about 21.5%.

I bought my laptop in Walmart last year - saved a lot of money and have had no problems with it at all!!!

mikki.young is right you would be liable for any VAT etc on it!

The other thing is check to see what type of warranty it has - i work for an IT company and so many people buy laptops abroad assuming it has an international warranty that will cover it no matter what country they purchased it! Although this is correct in many cases you'll be suprised how many are not covered!

im aware u can take out international warrentt, jockey did u have any problems with the power supply?

emily1982 said:
im aware u can take out international warrentt, jockey did u have any problems with the power supply?

given that the stores in orlando deal with many foreigners, they're probably familiar with the compatibility of their laptops...

in September, when i went into the apple store to get a set of speaker adapters for an IPOD, they immediately knew which one they had that could work on 220....only one of them as it turned out....so we bought that one...it works well and we're happy with it, but it would have been better to wait until we got back home.....a local store now carries the Bose speakers which are far superior.....the Bose speakers in the apple store in the states was only 110....the ones carried locally here are 220.....but at the time i bought the speakers in the US, there wasn't anything available here, so it's ok....

I have never found buying a laptop any cheaper in US to UK.
Last 1 I bought about 6 months ago was £400 from Dell direct. Same spec from Walmart to buy now is $748 + Tax. About £480 this is before you get stung for any customs charges.
The 1 before that was also from Dells website who had priced it wrongly in their outlet section. Total price delivered £240.
I wouldn't buy abroad. Look for a bargain here.

I have quite a few Americans that stay with me and have there own laptops with them , never have a problem and they get set up with my wireless network no problem.
but as someone else said shop around before you go
My sons new laptop had to go back after 3 weeks (new fan i think)
I would always buy big things here to be on the safe side, unless it is a real bargain
Do your homework and where better to start then these boards

We saved approx $300 when compared to a similar spec laptop in the UK!!!Had no problems with the power supply just changed the cable that goes from the power block into the plug- these are very cheap to buy(just a standard "kettle lead"!!! Also downloaded a program called dvd region free for the dvd recorder/player!!

Was the $300 saving based on PC World/ Dixons etc.
These companies are overpriced, so if you compare with a retail store yes you will save by buying in US.

eg. Offer on Dell Desktop on sale this weekend (nearly bought one).

Dell 5150,P4 3Ghz,160GB SATA,19" LCD,X600 ATI=£450 Delivered +£10.93 rpoints rebate if you buy thru a cashback site.

Nearest spec at Walmart inc tax £640 (only 17" LCD)

PC World around £700

The offers are in the UK if you look.

We have 2 laptops, they were both bought here in the UK. The power supply for both accept 110v - 230v ac. Just check the power supply, it should be ok.

The $300 saving was not based on laptops from the dixons group- at the time I also looked at dell!!! I also made price comparisons using dealtime and pricerunner!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter