Lacking the Walt Disney's Spirit

I'm sorry if you've felt scolded. Remember the printed word has no inflection, as a speaking voice would. There have been many times that I've had to re-read something because just reading the words sounded mad, but trying to put in a more jovial sound (in my head) showed that it really wasn't meant meanly.

It was not anything you typed at all. I've just noticed this for a while. I started not "reading" moods into anything people type in the early days of "AOL" when an ex-bf said I slammed the door when I logged off :confused3 That was the sound AOL made when you sign off...yes the dinosaur days...:rotfl2: But, recently I've just notice too often people are in fact mean in the boards.

I don't know of its because I'm getting older and was more clueless when I was younger, but I find that people in general seem to be losing their ability to be kind. I work from home and no longer sit in LA road rage commute traffic but when I run errands I still find that there's always someone in a hurry in a store or driving erratically on the roads and being rude. People seem to be impatient and unhappy. I've noticed more people yelling at people out windows more than before. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with how 'connected' we are as a human race. If you watch the news or surf the web all day you can find something every minute of every day to be sad or upset about. That may be way off but I've wondered if we were better off when we focused more locally on our communities and families. Now that doesn't help people who are in need globally, of course. Just a thought.

You are absolutely correct...it's really sad...

Our family does Disney Vacations to get away from the "real" world. WDW is like a fairyland where every CM is pleasant and most families are like ours. I lost my wallet with my Key to the World and CC 3 times...each time a CM returned it. Same thing with DCL...fairyland in the ocean :rotfl:

I do have to just ignore mean spirited comments...

But may I ask everyone to just be a little kinder...this world is insane but we have the power to make it better. I will try as well, I'm certainly not perfect...Pay It Forward

I don't know of its because I'm getting older and was more clueless when I was younger, but I find that people in general seem to be losing their ability to be kind. I work from home and no longer sit in LA road rage commute traffic but when I run errands I still find that there's always someone in a hurry in a store or driving erratically on the roads and being rude. People seem to be impatient and unhappy. I've noticed more people yelling at people out windows more than before. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with how 'connected' we are as a human race. If you watch the news or surf the web all day you can find something every minute of every day to be sad or upset about. That may be way off but I've wondered if we were better off when we focused more locally on our communities and families. Now that doesn't help people who are in need globally, of course. Just a thought.

Well, right now I have proof that people can still be very kind. Our area of the country is flooding, we are actually experiencing historically high flood waters. One of my co-workers posted a picture on Facebook of her back yard, and how the water was almost up to her back door. She had perfect strangers show up and help her sandbag so that her house wouldn't flood.

She was later evacuated, but her house has no water in it! Thanks in part to some people who didn't know her, but went out of their way to be kind and helpful.

I don't think you can judge mankind by what you read on a message board. Words can be interpreted so many different ways when you don't hear them. Most people are still good people.

Well, right now I have proof that people can still be very kind. Our area of the country is flooding, we are actually experiencing historically high flood waters. One of my co-workers posted a picture on Facebook of her back yard, and how the water was almost up to her back door. She had perfect strangers show up and help her sandbag so that her house wouldn't flood.

She was later evacuated, but her house has no water in it! Thanks in part to some people who didn't know her, but went out of their way to be kind and helpful.

I don't think you can judge mankind by what you read on a message board. Words can be interpreted so many different ways when you don't hear them. Most people are still good people.

Sounds just like something my gifted family would do. Make sure you hug a giftie!

I've actually read that Walt Disney was quite the jerk (for lack of better way of putting it), so maybe the DIS does have the Walt Disney spirit!

Walt Disney, the man, was rather famous for treating his employees with harsh words and criticism:

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2006-12-03/walts-not-so-wonderful-world

Chiding fellow DISers for not being "nice" is one thing but claiming they aren't correctly channeling Walt Disney's spirit because they aren't acting all warm and fuzzy is rather ironic.

But, have a magical day. :thumbsup2

That is easier said than done. I have noticed there are some that appear to try and get a reaction by the content and tone of their posts. I have self deleted some responses to those posts, nothing bad was typed, just second thoughts after I realized that I got baited in to responding. The surprising thing is these aren't trolls, their post #'s are in the 100's and 1000's. Also see some of them on other boards too doing the same thing. Thankfully this board seems not to get hit by the trolls too often

The biggest issue I have seen is that there is little acceptance of different opinions, everything recently is two sides arguing for pages and pages on threads. I at times fall into that trap too, but generally try to get my thoughts out there and let the rest battle it out.

cgolf

Im one of the original Disers (yup Im an oldie) and I remember when the site only had like 4 boards ( dining. theme park, resort and community) and when everyone 'knew" each other. I miss those days :) The only time you saw hurtful of mean posts it was a troll. I am all about people having their own opinion, just dont like the judgemental responses! :)

Im one of the original Disers (yup Im an oldie) and I remember when the site only had like 4 boards ( dining. theme park, resort and community) and when everyone 'knew" each other. I miss those days :) The only time you saw hurtful of mean posts it was a troll. I am all about people having their own opinion, just dont like the judgemental responses! :)

Very well said !! :thumbsup2 :worship::worship:

:thumbsup2 Exactly!!! :grouphug:

I'm sorry if you've felt scolded. Remember the printed word has no inflection, as a speaking voice would. There have been many times that I've had to re-read something because just reading the words sounded mad, but trying to put in a more jovial sound (in my head) showed that it really wasn't meant meanly.

I think this sums it up. The poster means it one way, a reader takes it another way.

The boards are just a reflection of the real world, and in the real world these days, IMHO, people need to put their big boy and big girl pants on and not get upset at little things, especially when they are upset because they misinterperted what the poster was trying to say.

I sat through a Sexual Harrassment seminar last year at work. The lecturer said in this day and age, you could be be considered to be harrassing someone even if you don't say or do a thing. We had someone punished this month for making a factually correct statement, using no offense words or terms, but someone felt that pointing out something that was factually correct was politically incorrect.

IMHO I'ts about the way you said something.. sometimes pp can be pretty harsh, rude and condescending .. I do not sweat the small stuff anymore life too short and beautiful to live all bitter and grumpy.. jmho.. ;)
C'est la Vie..

ESL Teacher and proud Army wife for more than 18 yrs. and counting!! :goodvibes

I sat through a Sexual Harrassment seminar last year at work. The lecturer said in this day and age, you could be be considered to be harrassing someone even if you don't say or do a thing. We had someone punished this month for making a factually correct statement, using no offense words or terms, but someone felt that pointing out something that was factually correct was politically incorrect.

Yeah when you have to take those seminars you hear a lot of stories. Like one (they said it really happened) where an employee was accused of sexual harassment because they were describing to a co-worker the plot of last night's episode of "Seinfeld."

It is hard in an exclusively written format like the Internet to determine tone. There is also the cloak of anonymity that apparently gives some license to say things they wouldn't say if they were writing under their real name. WDW may be a fairyland, but the Internet is not. And the stuff you see on this board is tame compared to what you see on unmoderated sites.

I've been in and out of several conversations and one thing puzzles me...:surfweb:
...why do people sound so angry in these posts???
And when some people correct previous posts, it appears to be in a scolding manner? :(

It appears to me many lack or dont get the Walt Disney spirit. :worried:

We are all here happy either planning our vacations or trying to answer what ever questions we could help with. :boat: :beach: :moped:

Sometime I try to keep in mind that maybe that person is having a bad day...but why belittle others?

I dont know :confused3
I always find it ironic when posters start scolding others for...wait for it..scolding.

They are looking down their noses, doing exactly what they themselves are miffed about :rotfl2:

I always find it ironic when posters start scolding others for...wait for it..scolding.

They are looking down their noses, doing exactly what they themselves are miffed about :rotfl2:

Yep. I chuckle at those posts.

And the irony always seems to be lost on those posters too.:rolleyes1

And the irony always seems to be lost on those posters too.:rolleyes1

it is quite amusing (and no irony lost here). Posters scolding others for scolding others and then posters chuckling at the scolding of others for scolding others for scolding others.

Discussion boards can be brutal :rotfl:

People need a thick skin when they are on any discussion boards on the internet. It is beyond me how people can take what perfect strangers say so personally and then report them like we are in elementary school.

I am all about people having their own opinion, just dont like the judgemental responses! :)

I agree with you.

I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me, but it's ridiculous that some posters here can't, or rather more likely don't want to get their point across without being judgemental, rude, mean, nasty, snarky, etc.

And it just amazes me that some "adults" actually try to belittle other posters. Most people outgrew that kind of crap in grade school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter