Kong Closing PR.

DisneyFanGuy

Disney Nut
I was looking at the Kong closing ceremonies over on Screamscape. That was a class act, how they announced it, and then put together a kind of fairwell party for the attraction. While I never really liked Kong, I thought they handled it well.

At Disneyland, they did the same thing last year when they closed the Country Bear Jamboree. They were clear about the closing, and "celebrated" it during the last few days. It wasn't as well done as the Kong thing, but still effective.

Mostly though, it seems like Disney has really blown this kind of thing. They seem to keep misshandling these major changes like the end of EE and the sudden closures of COP. Attractions just close with no advance warning for rehab, and then just never reopen.

With all of their experience in PR, why don't they handle this stuff better?

For example, if they had stated that booking declines had led to the elimination of EE, and that a smaller program was being put into effect (Character Caravan) to reduce costs, would the outcry of Disney fans have been any less?

Originally posted by DisneyFanGuy

For example, if they had stated that booking declines had led to the elimination of EE, and that a smaller program was being put into effect (Character Caravan) to reduce costs, would the outcry of Disney fans have been any less?

Was a decline in bookings the real reason why EE was elimited I mean I don't even think Disney could put a good spin on telling people that they were cutting EE because they lost a billion on the Internet or becuase they've been putting out substandard movies. How well would that go over with the public? I can see the press release now...

" Becasue we thought that you wanted to see old Cartoons(Fox Family) in your hotel room every morning we've cancled EE to bring you ABC family ...yes thats right now you can enjoy cartoons from the 80's and the early 90's.... "

Just dosen't sound good does it ?

The Kong announcement worked because Universal already has something in the works to replace it, and they're excited about it.

As for the attractions you've mentioned at Disney...making a big deal about what will soon become a vacant building isn't great PR.

Universal did the closing the way it should be done. They sent a postcard to me and other season pass holders informing folks about the last day celebration. They also kept the park open longer for pass holders to get one last ride. I am glad I bought my $99 season pass for both Universal parks as the benefits and discounts I get are superb!

What are they replacing Kong with? Universal has done a really great job through the years. When my kids get a little older I want to go and stay at one of the resorts, that front of the line is worth it alone.

Originally posted by hallie
What are they replacing Kong with? Universal has done a really great job through the years. When my kids get a little older I want to go and stay at one of the resorts, that front of the line is worth it alone.

The attraction has not been announced yet. According to the President of the parks the ride attraction will be a knockout along the lines of Spiderman and will be as technologically advanced as Spiderman.

One of the Rumored attractions includes a Mummy based ride either a coaster or something similar to Spiderman. The president of the company said the attraction might be based on a movie that will be having a sequel coming out the same year. So there are quite a few possibilities. Including Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings both of which Universal acquired the Theme Park rights to.

Universal fans are drooling waiting on the announcement. I'm going in Nov and I'm going to see if anybody at the parks is dropping hints.

They say that the ending of the new attraction will keep you talking long after you have left the park!

Maybe they have figured out how to put the Spider-man technology on a coaster-type track.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter