Kona Cafe or The Wave

eva

Often uses her unique ability to close threads.
I was excited to try Kona Café for dinner on our upcoming trip. Then I started reading some very bad reviews lately. Now I am wondering if we should switch over to The Wave. DH and I ate there once and thought is was nice, but nothing fabulous. It is 6 adults and 3 kids ages 9,6,3. The kids are pretty good eaters and are not too picky. Our oldest DGD even likes sushi. Sure wish we could have gotten into Ohana. Oh well, which would you choose...Kona Café or The Wave?

We had a great experience at Kona and The Wave in March. Excellent service and excellent food at both. You will read positive and negative with both. Go with what you really want.

Have never been to The Wave but we love Kona! I think you have to try things for yourself and not read too much into the reviews.

We've had wonderful meals at The Wave. It's becoming one of our favorites!

Love Kona for all meals. Love Wave for only breakfast. I was recently disappointed with Dinner but others like it.

Love Kona Cafe. It is my go to breakfast place. Sometimes it depends on chef in kitchen that day. Chefs rotate from one restaurant to another so a bad experience once does not mean a bad experience the second time. This happened to me at Oahana' with our first visit being a bad experience to my second visit being an amazing dining experience. Now it is a family favourite!

Thanks everyone! This is making me more comfortable with our choice. DH says to stick with Kona too.

We love both! I dont think you can go wrong either way:goodvibes

We ate at dinner and breakfast at both this month. I was surprised at how much we liked dinner at the Wave. I'd choose there.

I am debating the same thing for our upcoming trip. Staying at the Poly with my mom and DS (3) so was looking for a nice sit down after AK day....

Kona used to be a favorite of ours (lunch or dinner). No more - super loud, poor service, and mediocre food on our visit in April. Wave on the other hand was great for both dinner and lunch. I vote for the Wave - much quieter, better service and much better food.

I've only had good experiences at both so I'd look at the menu and decide which you prefer. I have found it easier to just walk up to The Wave then Kona without an ADR but have managed both in the past.

The Wave is my favorite restaurant in WDW. We used to go to Kona all the time but have not been there on recent trips. We have ADRs for both in Nov.

I'm surprised that the OP has found "some very bad reviews" of Kona. We go there regularly and its always been good. Pretty much all the reviews I've seen here on the DIS have been similarly positive.

However, I will say that we also frequent the Wave and its really good too. So if a change of venue is in order, the Wave would be a good choice.

I wouldn't hesitate to go to Kona for dinner but I wouldn't give up on that ohana reservation yet. Check back frequently as your trip gets closer. Things open up often.

Went to Kona for dinner last year. It was okay. I was actually surprised at all the great reviews it seems to get.

Went to The Wave for lunch this year and LOVED it. Can't wait to go back and try dinner there!

Wave.

You'll get a lot of folks voting for Kona because Wave is a hidden gem in CR that not many people know of.

Very quiet and calm and VERY good food!

One of my favs.

I was excited to try Kona Café for dinner on our upcoming trip. Then I started reading some very bad reviews lately. Now I am wondering if we should switch over to The Wave. DH and I ate there once and thought is was nice, but nothing fabulous. It is 6 adults and 3 kids ages 9,6,3. The kids are pretty good eaters and are not too picky. Our oldest DGD even likes sushi. Sure wish we could have gotten into Ohana. Oh well, which would you choose...Kona Café or The Wave?
We stay at Bay Lake / Contemporary - Kona.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter