Knotts vs MM this weekend?

JennCa

DIS Veteran
Going to So Cal for the long weekend last minute and am wondering which might be better for us.

I am going with my 9 year old daughter who likes roller coasters, but she is 51 inches tall so she can't ride everything and I'm not sure i even want to!!!

Price wise it will cost us about the same and location wise, both work also. I am driving from No Cal and MM is on the way, but we are going to DL and that is close to Knott's.

Haven't been to Knott's in 15 years so not sure how to decide which one is best. I am going to be at one of these parks on either this Sat or Monday since I want to do Disney on Sunday.

Any suggestions?

Jenn

I'm not sure how "much" your family likes Roller Coasters. But MM is pretty much JUST a coaster park with a few other rides thrown in.

If you are at MM, you can count on riding at least 10 world-class roller coasters. It really is what that park is made of. Do NOT count on seeing much in the way of "theme" (unless you consider riding a coaster over the remains of an old parking lot to be 'theme' LOL!)

On the other hand, Knotts is much less about coasters and much more about theme. Don't get me wrong -- Knotts has two or three great coasters including Ghostrider which is an awesome Wooden coaster.

However, Knotts opened as a theme park 50 plus years ago and has tons of history and theme. Lots of 'non-thrill' ride opportunities and shows. Just not as immersive as much as Disney (they don't do the fireworks, don't have parades, etc.)

If you go to Knotts, do NOT miss Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, which is right outside the park and has been serving the Knott's family chicken recipe since at least the 1930's. That restaurant is how Knott's began as a 'destination' and the food is great and the prices are reasonable.

FYI -- if you were at Knotts 15+ years ago, there have been several changes including several coasters and other attractions being built.

In the end, I guess the decision is -- do you want the Magic Mountain "coaster experience" (comparisons: Cedar Point, any other Six Flags park), or do you want a theme park with more 'types' of rides and better theming?

Robert

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter