Knee replacement : ME

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by Princess Disney Mom, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Princess Disney Mom

Princess Disney Mom DIS Veteran

Hi,
    I have not ridden ME in a while and kind of remember the steps being steep. I'm taking my elderly parents this summer and my mom , while mobile does use a cane after knee replacement and does have a hard time with steep stairs.

Do you think we should take a taxi instead of ME from the airport as the stairs may be too steep?

Thanks !

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Gracie09

Gracie09 DIS Veteran

Will she be using a wheelchair? I would call magic express and let them know about the problem and they will help you find a solution.

4. Princess Disney Mom

No wheelchair. She uses a cane.

5. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

Sue has posted a picture of the steps into the ME buses. They are quite narrow and steep -- maybe about 8 steps (but I never counted). Let me see if I can find it.

If you mom has trouble with steep stairs, these could be a problem. If she will use a wheelchair, they could load her sitting in the wheelchair using the lift. Of course, that would require that you also note your reservation as needing an accessible bus. If she doesn't plan to use a wheelchair, then she would need to use the steps. An alternative is to use another mode of transportation -- taxi, car service or rental.

Enjoy your vacation!

6. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

7. Princess Disney Mom

Thank you for this detailed information. I sent mom the pics and if she does not think she can do it we will get a taxi.
    Thanks !!!!!

8. WheeledTraveler

WheeledTraveler DIS Veteran

I'd suggest calling Disney and asking. I think we've had posters who've loaded onto an accessible bus using an airport wheelchair (then sat in a regular bus seat) and then been able to unload with a wheelchair at the resort. It's one of the things I'd actually expect Disney to already have an answer to because of the steepness. Plenty of people have problems with stairs that steep.

9. bidnow5

bidnow5 DIS Veteran

I know someone that couldn't do steps Disney sent a different bus they notified them in advance