Knee Brace and Airport Security

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by hdecker, Aug 24, 2006.

1. hdecker

hdecker Mouseketeer

DD14 was put into a knee brace yesterday for stabilization. It is the kind with metal sides. What is the procedure when going thru security? Will they make her remove it or just wand it? Anyone been through this lately?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pezheadmeg

pezheadmeg feminsit turned fashion student

I've gone through with the aircast on the ankle. I had to take it off and run it through the x-ray. If she's only wearing it for stabilization she should be okay for a few minutes without it on.

4. disneyldwjr

disneyldwjr DIS Veteran

Try this link. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

5. hdecker

hdecker Mouseketeer

Thanks for that link - it explains alot.

6. poohbear7

poohbear7 DIS Veteran

My daughter had to take her knee brace off. They let her sit on a chair while they put it through xray.

7. Poohlovr

Poohlovr <font color=red>Still SSB's archrival!<br><font co

My husband was not required to remove his knee braces, but, he had to step to the side and get the whole pat-down routine, then wanded, then they used those explosive detecting pads on the actual braces.

He finally just took them off at the check points, ran them through the x-ray, and then put them back on.

It was faster than going through the whole other scenario.

8. bdcp

bdcp DIS Veteran

Just FYI, my DH has a knee brace he wears for running (knee surgery a few years ago) and he takes it when he travels. The TSA opens his lugagge every single time he packs it in his checked luggage and he has to put it back together afterwards. It's got metal frame, hinges, and velcro attached pads and straps. They always undo everything. But if he wore it, it would set off alarms because of the metal content.