Kindle or any E Reader

Before I was connected to the NBN I had to put my kindle on the roof of my patio in order to get a signal to download. It may be why I'm not fond of using it very much.
Haha, I live in a large city having no signal is rare. I was never so grateful for the ability to sync up when I got called to the hospital for my dad and was there way longer than I thought. I needed to be there but he was zonked out and I had literally nothing to do but sit there. That's when I bought my iPad and I keep it loaded up with stuff so I can just toss it in my bag. I prefer to read on the Kindle but if I want a variety (music, tv, movies, books, mags) I take the iPad.

Now that I have "old lady" eyeballs, I am not comfortable reading a book unless I have some very strong reading glasses on. The Kindle is much easier for me to read now. I still love magazines though, but I often have trouble reading the print, even with reading glasses. I hate getting old.

I have iBooks and the Kindle App on my iPad, but I still read paper books more.

E-book Pros:
I can take the whole Harry Potter series with me on vacation!
I don't need a book light to read early in the morning in the hotel before DS and DH are up.

Paper Book Pros:
Wandering through the library and borrowing anything that looks interesting.
The magic of old used book shops.
And the most important - they don't break when I fall asleep reading and drop them over the side of the bed!

I have so many unread books still.
I tend to try to read them when I am at home and use the Kindle more when traveling.
There is one author I only buy hard bound books so I can go to book signings when she comes around.

Despite having a Nook, I much prefer regular books. My Nook sits around pretty dusty. :rolleyes:

I love my Nook! I was one who said I would never give up "real" books, but I'm a convert. I'm a bit of a font snob and the Nook allows me to change fonts, it's easier on the hands when reading in bed, and frees up a TON of space next to the bed! The only real book I've purchased recently is Harlan Cobens new one for him to sign at the book signing(and yes, I have it on the Nook also).

Love, love, love my kindle (paper white). I still have quite a few real books and tried to stick them into the mix from time to time. However, tend to just read my kindle. I will take a real book, or 2, when doing a beach vacation as I don't need to worry about sand, lotion, water or getting stolen. The kindle is so much easier on my eyes and as Christine so eloquently stated, I too, have "old lady eyes". Also, sometimes a book gets heavy to hold. LOL

Nope, I only read books on my Kindle BUT I still read magazines. I just can't read a magazine on my Kindle..it's just not the same without the perfume cards falling out

Same as far as magazines.

OT - I know you are in Philly, or the Philly area, are you being inconvenienced with the influx of people this week? I am in Jersey, near Cherry Hill, do not need to be in Philly and doubt there will be much spillover into the area on our side. The last time a convention was held in Philly, they tried sprucing up the area coming out of Philly so visitors saw nice pretty flowers along the roadside.

I love my Nook! I was one who said I would never give up "real" books, but I'm a convert. I'm a bit of a font snob and the Nook allows me to change fonts, it's easier on the hands when reading in bed, and frees up a TON of space next to the bed! The only real book I've purchased recently is Harlan Cobens new one for him to sign at the book signing(and yes, I have it on the Nook also).

What was Harlan Coben like in person? Or did you only get to see him for a minute or two?

I love my paperwhite because I read in bed while my husband is sleeping and don't need a book plight. I also download free Ebooks from the library.

What was Harlan Coben like in person? Or did you only get to see him for a minute or two?
Very sweet guy! He talked to my son for a long period of time about his dog walking business, LOL!

A strange side note. I heard about him years ago from an employee at Barnes and Noble who knew him personally and put us in touch.He lives in NJ not far from me. (I'm a huge reader) and he sent me his first chapters in his first book to read and comment on. This was WAY be when AOL instant messenger was going strong. His IM name was Bolivar.

Very sweet guy! He talked to my son for a long period of time about his dog walking business, LOL!

A strange side note. I heard about him years ago from an employee at Barnes and Noble who knew him personally and put us in touch.He lives in NJ not far from me. (I'm a huge reader) and he sent me his first chapters in his first book to read and comment on. This was WAY be when AOL instant messenger was going strong. His IM name was Bolivar.

Oh that's neat that you got to read his first chapters! I'm glad to hear he seemed like a nice guy. It would be disappointing to really like someone's books and then find out they were a jerk. Kind of silly I know, it probably shouldn't matter

Love my Kindle, but use 'real' books for reference. It's just too hard on my hands to hold a book for a long period of time. I use a site called ereaderiq. It's free and you can import your Kindle wishlist from Amazon. I just tell the site what price I'm willing to pay for a ebook and if the price drops, they send me an email. I've saved A LOT of money that way on my book purchases.

I'm a Kindle girl. I have a 1st generation 'traditional' Kindle that I carry in my purse for reading when I'm in line or waiting for an appointment. It is also best for reading outdoors as it doesn't have a glare on the screen. My Kindle Fire is on the bedside table for reading in bed every night. I have a charging stand for it, so it is always ready to use.

My mom gives me traditional books to read after she is done with them, but I have to be REALLY interested to pick one up. I like to do almost all my reading before I go to sleep at night, and DH is always already asleep- no turning on a lamp. The backlit Kindle Fire is perfect for nighttime reading.

I'm a Kindle girl. I have a 1st generation 'traditional' Kindle that I carry in my purse for reading when I'm in line or waiting for an appointment. It is also best for reading outdoors as it doesn't have a glare on the screen. My Kindle Fire is on the bedside table for reading in bed every night. I have a charging stand for it, so it is always ready to use.

My mom gives me traditional books to read after she is done with them, but I have to be REALLY interested to pick one up. I like to do almost all my reading before I go to sleep at night, and DH is always already asleep- no turning on a lamp. The backlit Kindle Fire is perfect for nighttime reading.
That's something I miss about physical books, passing them around.

That's something I miss about physical books, passing them around.

My dad grew up in a very poor family so doesn't have a lot of anything from his childhood. One thing he did have was a copy of Huckleberry Finn which is currently in one of my bookcases and will no doubt be handed down to one of the boy children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter