Kind of a S/O - what do your neighbors hate the most?

I don't think we have a community facebook page. If we did, I'd be afraid to look at it. Why? cause I have a feeling the thing our neighbors complain about the most would be us. we're kind of the odd family out in our neighborhood.

I don't think we have a community facebook page. If we did, I'd be afraid to look at it. Why? cause I have a feeling the thing our neighbors complain about the most would be us. we're kind of the odd family out in our neighborhood.

Us too, haha! I almost wanted to hang an LGBTQ rainbow flag outside, just to get the neighbors' goats, even though we're not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Oh driving away the homeless is the excuse you got? We got told that they were not making enough money in recycling so they closed all the independent ones. The pot holes have been really bad up here too.
County forced the recycling center out. Owner was making a nice living. But his center was an old, small gas station on the main drag. The County Supervisor felt it was an eyesore. So for the past 2 years, we've had a beautiful vacant lot in it's place and we have to drive several miles to a mega recycling center.

People in my neighborhood are very concerned about house and car break-ins. They do occur far too frequently, so their concerns are not totally unfounded. But sometimes they go overboard with their vigilance. Someone posts, "I just witnessed a driver pull over in front of my house. He sat there for three minutes and looked at his phone before proceeding east down my street. He looked suspicious." Then someone replies, "Oh my that does sound suspicious! Call 911 and report him!" Really? God forbid anyone should need to stop and look up directions while driving through this neighborhood!

Do you live in my neighborhood? I often wonder how my neighbors get so many pictures and see so much stuff going on? They just posted today about some man looking in cars in a grocery parking lot so took pictures of him and called the sheriff non emergency line. They had an excellent close up picture of his face. He probably was up to no good but I guess I just never see any of this stuff. It's the same people posting all the time that they see things. If someone cuts them off driving, they get a picture of the car and post it.

I have to admit though, when I see the helicopter overhead, I get on their page to see what's going on and they always have the information. This neighborhood started to go a little downward when they closed the base but in the last 2 years, it has gotten a lot worse. It's mostly mail boxes broken into, cars stolen/broken into, car windows smashed etc. Their cameras are quite interesting to watch when they post though. I've watched people hop their fence, look around their stuff at 3am and then hop back over the fence. The cameras must be getting better because they do a good job at getting the faces of the people.

Just a short side note here: Christmas time, some were having their lawn decorations stolen, some were found broken streets away etc. A person posted a video from her camera of 2 teenage girls coming up to their door at 3am with a string of lights over one shoulder (it was those huge bulb lights, like 12" big that one might put on the lawn), another girl had something else, they were riffling around and left. Another neighbor posted that she knew one of the girls and wasn't surprised. She was trouble. So then the mother of same trouble girl happens to be a member of the page and comes on questioning the original poster, was she sure it was 3am and that it wasn't 11pm cause her daughter was walking to her friends and they may have went to the wrong house. People started telling the mother if she'd quit making excuses maybe her daughter wouldn't be trouble. So, I'm one that kind of likes reading the drama (as long as I'm not involved in it which I don't). As of about an hour ago, the issue is kids throwing eggs at houses and cars.

People that think their dog is special, would never harm a flea, let them off leash, and those that bark nonstop! Did I say barking???? Just one family gets the whole neighborhood up in arms!! :headache:

Busy bodies that constantly post on 'Nextdoor' site about 'every' strange looking (to them) car/person that stops in the neighborhood!
They're 'all' up to no good! :tilt:

In my town it's

-building anything. Nobody seems to want businesses, homes, apartments, or anything else built.

-people hearing sirens and posting on the Facebook page asking what's going on. Seriously, our town scanner is online and you can listen to it.

-people taking petty crimes out of context and making our town sound like the crime capital of the world. We just had our first murder in 40 years here and people are already saying they're moving out of the town because we are so crime-ridden.

-people complaining about the lack of services that actually already exist in the town. There's one rabble-rouser who does this repeatedly; she complained incessantly that the town was preventing neighboorhood watches from forming, until I informed her that she lives one block away from me and we've had a neighborhood watch for years. The sign is directly in front of my house.

-people saying they're flat broke and need food/money for gas/baby formula - that happens a TON.

My neighbourhood association gets worked up periodically over new highrises, new condos, new restaurants... pretty much anything anyone wants to build, even if they're building it on reclaimed, toxic land that was just sitting there being an empty lot. Mostly, they lose, and the stuff gets built anyway.

And, every now and then there's drama over the local festival scene (and where events should happen/how loud).

But that's about it. No one seems bothered by pets, or front yards, or how people paint their homes, or anything like that. It's nice. :)

Edit: I should say, right here, on my block, we had a lot of unhappiness a few summers ago, because a renter would let her dogs bark ALL DAY LONG, with her windows open. Sometimes she let them out into the back yard to bark, for hours. I have a dog, and I thought her dogs were just nuts - never heard anything like it. My mother in law, who was struggling with chemo, couldn't nap during the day. And I honestly thought the fellow across the street from her, who works nights and sleeps during the day, was going to lose his mind. We spoke to her. It didn't help. So, several of our neighbours contacted her landlord. And she was gone, shortly after that.

Odd family out isn't always bad. I mean when we first starting building our house we were the odd house...first house we would be owning, no kids, aged only 25/26 & 24/25 when building the house and moving into our house and we also chose a blue/grey for our house color in a sea of what is not-so-fondly called Johnson County brown/tan (because so many homes are brown in outside color though grey is now gaining popularity). Most people in the neighborhood either have kids or they have retired.

My neighbors across the street though they are the odd family for the not so good reason. They actually moved out of their previous neighborhood due to issues with their neighbors and I can completely understand why their previous neighbors had problems with them. Let's just say HOAs are def. not for everyone and it does you no service if you don't particularly like dealing with rules to move from one HOA neighborhood to another.

I'm sure you're not that bad really :P:D:-)

Recently on our neighborhood listserv... things most posters appear to hate... in no particular order...
  • Rabbits eating people's flowers. Yup. Rabbits.
  • Poor choice of restaurants within these few blocks of the city -- too much similar stuff / fast food
    • And oddly: Any development above 4 stories that WOULD create the population density to ATTRACT more varied restaurants :rolleyes:
  • Any homeless shelters being anywhere in the vicinity (NIMBY)
    • And oddly: Any homeless people on the streets who don't have shelter
  • Runners running in the street instead of on the sidewalk
  • ANYONE who does not agree with them politically -- that is quite clear
Tough crowd.

These are all hilarious - and everything my town talks about too!

A few more -

firepit bonfires - we've had summer in winter this past weekend, so people were out at night enjoying a fire in their firepits (we can NEVER do that in Feb, usually!) and there are already people complaining about their asthma. lol Seriously....I get it if you don't have AC and it's July and firepit smoke is wafting into your windows, but in Feb, just calm down and shut your window!

Zoo traffic - our neighborhood is also home to a pretty big zoo. One of the entrances is literally IN the neighborhood, the other is off a main street in our neighborhood. All weekend, the lines of traffic coming from everywhere have created massive traffic congestion. Brings out the complainers every time! It it Absolutely Impossible for someone to move to our town and not realize there is a major zoo here. It's not like it's shocking that there will be traffic on a beautifully warm weekend in February!

Weather - 99% of people here are amazingly thrilled that it's 70 degrees, not a cloud in sight, and no wind to cool the air temps down - on Feb 19th! But there is that One Guy.....really!!!

That our street isn't properly taken care of. It's not a public street, but an HOA-type street. It's gravel/dirt. Has bad pot holes in it. There is a man who is paid to grate the road, but doesn't do it often enough.

No FB page.. just talk
The landscaping crew didn't trim enough, or trimmed too much. The dog owners don't use the (free ) bags located thruout the community and dispose of it properly. The lakes look low ....they aren't Lakes.. they 're retention ponds and there's been no rain!
Seriously..
this is not a retirement community but perhaps a spoiled adult community, IDK, lol

....:scratchin where do you live? :confused3 [no availability of gas?]

I know a couple people who use wood to supplement the gas heat in their house. And no, we're not out in the boonies. My dad keeps one going in their basement most of the winter.

My community does not have a FB page. I'm grateful -- one of my coworkers neighborhood has one and it seems to be nothing but a source of drama. I don't see what use I would get out of a neighborhood FB page.

Same. We do have a community website, I have not and will not join. Have no interest in the drama or a relationship beyond the very basic wave. Don't want to know their business and I don't want them in mine. No doubt they hate that those people in 9--- won't join the community page.

Drama is inevitable but if you can just scroll past it, there are some beneficial topics that are discussed. We have a lot of people who post recommendations for lawn companies, contractors, etc. Or you can post seeking recommendations, which I have had success with. It's been helpful when neighbors' pets get out. Neighbors who need a babysitter or help with something. Organizing a neighborhood yard sale. And even notifying other neighbors of those darn coyotes! IMO, it's better to be a part of it so you can be aware of your neighborhood and surroundings, and just scroll right past any drama and arguing.

I know a couple people who use wood to supplement the gas heat in their house. And no, we're not out in the boonies. My dad keeps one going in their basement most of the winter.
....we have a [vacay] house/cabin in those so-called 'boonies' [upstate NY] and there is no way that a pipe can be put in [for natural gas], so there is a big pot-belly stove in the corner of the dining room. I guess that is what popped into my mind, since we actually live in a suburb, not too far from NYC, and everyone pretty much uses PSE&G.....:)

[...I hope that my post wasn't misconstrued as offensive or negative - it wasn't meant that way....:sunny: ]

Last edited:

We are a bit of the outcasts too! I love my neighborhood and neighbors, I enjoy chatting on occasion, will watch your house/collect your mail while you are on vaca, will wave and smile as we drive by..........but I just don't want to be a part of the stuff like community potlucks, neighborhood get togethers, parties etc. We are pretty low key, keep to ourselves, private people.

You must not have a community facebook page? I wave hi to my neighbors, too, and leave it at that, but I was referring to "neighbors" in a larger sense - like as in the community as a whole. Our town's facebook page is like a bad soap opera.
No, we don't have a community facebook page, thank goodness. I honestly don't care what my neighbors hate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter