Kids/Shorts/Main Dining Room?

katienaps

Earning My Ears
Hi friends - I know dcl says no shorts in main dining room, but for the kids, do nice shorts with a collared shirt work for boys? My daughter should be fine with her casual dresses, but do the boys need khakis/pants every night? (Formal and semi-formal nights are covered). Leaving in two weeks. Thanks for any advice.

Hi friends - I know dcl says no shorts in main dining room, but for the kids, do nice shorts with a collared shirt work for boys? My daughter should be fine with her casual dresses, but do the boys need khakis/pants every night? (Formal and semi-formal nights are covered). Leaving in two weeks. Thanks for any advice.

The requested dress code has no age specifications, just "no shorts, tank tops, bathing suits in the MDR". Many people feel it doesn't apply to children, others think it applies to everyone. It's your call as to what you feel comfortable with.

:cutie:

I have on my flame retardant PJs, so here goes....

I let my son wear shorts and a collared shirt in the dining room for both of his cruises and will let him do so on our cruise next year. He was 1 year old and 8 years old.

Hot topic on the boards. No one will be turned away from the MDRs if they are wearing shoes and more clothing than swimwear. Whether the boys need to wear long pants every night depends on how their mother feels about DCL's
"request."

It's fine. They will probably look nicer than some folks who followed the no shorts request! :) They are kids. I'd rather a comfortable, nicely dressed child in shorts sitting next to me than an uncomfortable one :)

I've always found the dining rooms cold. I often wear capris myself, and always make sure I have a sweater, and am still usually freezing by the end of dinner. I think they tend to air condition the rooms on the expectation of the dress code - and to keep the servers relatively comfortable (who are wearing long pants/sleeves and are very active).

On my 7 night cruise, I saw/noticed one boy with shorts on at dinner. He was a few tables over, and I noticed him when he walked around the table to talk to his mom, and not only was he in shorts, but he was barefoot!! :crazy2: I later saw him in flip flops, but was pretty grossed out by the bare feet. Ick.

I have never really understood the dress request in the less formal dining rooms like Animator's and Parrot Cay. When we dine there, I do let my DS who is a teen wear shorts, even athletic ones with a nice t-shirt. Yup-I'm that mother! He wears nice pants in the more formal dining room and a suit on formal night. He is polite, well behaved, and can keep up a nice conversation. On our last cruise, there was a table that IMO had way too much to drink. They were dressed nice and within the dress request but also loud, obnoxious, and using language, while not completely foul, I'd rather my children not hear. One guy was groping his wife at the table which the head server did try to stop. So as far as I am concerned, as long as my children are wearing clean, no holes, nice clothing, and behaving in a way that makes me proud, I am fine with what they choose to wear. By the way, my DH and I dress as requested by DCL.

JKMJ441724 said:
I have on my flame retardant PJs, so here goes....

I let my son wear shorts and a collared shirt in the dining room for both of his cruises and will let him do so on our cruise next year. He was 1 year old and 8 years old.

We did a combo of both. Nicer pants, button down and tie for DS (7) on formal/semi-formal, casual khakis with polo 1-2 nights, pirate wear one night, and plaid dress shorts with polo the others. DS was relieved to wear shorts (last night or two) after dressing up all week!

I also agree with all of the PPs katienaps. Just pack whatever reasonably nice clothing your children have and will wear and forget about it. Our kids hate to wear long pants, even in the winter. We bring one pair of nice long pants for the boy and one dress for the girl and if we can get them to wear them twice in a seven day, then great. As lady9 noted, it's probably more about your child's behavior that anyone will care about than what they're wearing. Have a great time!

2CME911 said:
I also agree with all of the PPs katienaps. Just pack whatever reasonably nice clothing your children have and will wear and forget about it. Our kids hate to wear long pants, even in the winter. We bring one pair of nice long pants for the boy and one dress for the girl and if we can get them to wear them twice in a seven day, then great. As lady9 noted, it's probably more about your child's behavior that anyone will care about than what they're wearing. Have a great time!

I agree. So long as the kids are clean and tidy, it is far more important to a relaxing enjoyable meal that they are well behaved than whether they are wearing long or short trousers! And yes, it's important the adults behave too!!

Hot topic on the boards. No one will be turned away from the MDRs if they are wearing shoes and more clothing than swimwear. Whether the boys need to wear long pants every night depends on how their mother feels about DCL's
"request."

Ör father.

Everyone clearly has a slightly different opinions and it's always a hot topic on this and other boards. I'm a mother and a frequent cruiser. My perspective is that small children are difficult to manage at dinner. It's not worth fighting before you even get to the table. Kids under, say 8, should have clothes (and shoes) on. I consider that a win.

Kids over 8 can and should understand there are standards for public dining. Nice shorts and a decent shirt are not too much to ask and would be the absolute minimum I would allow. It may not matter to the parents, but it shows respect for the other guests. And that is something I think is very important and often overlooked in this age of "it's MY vacation and I'll do what I want".

Obviously, there are other thoughts on the matter. This is just mine.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. It just occurred to me.....can they wear jeans and cargo pants(nice)? I was just thinking I don't have enough straight khakis for my 3 yo and do I need to purchase more? I figured cords would be too hot, so thought nice shorts would be acceptable for the little ones. But, if pants rule is what most follow most of the time and jeans and cargo's are ok, I am good. Is that ok?

katienaps said:
Thank you, everyone, for your replies. It just occurred to me.....can they wear jeans and cargo pants(nice)? I was just thinking I don't have enough straight khakis for my 3 yo and do I need to purchase more? I figured cords would be too hot, so thought nice shorts would be acceptable for the little ones. But, if pants rule is what most follow most of the time and jeans and cargo's are ok, I am good. Is that ok?

Jeans and cargos are fine. You will see a nice split. I wouldn't say most follow the no short rule.

I have seen a little of everything. You are going to be fine. Kids should be happy and comfortable.

On the 3 night/4 night cruises I people dressed much more casual... we just got off the 7 night Fantasy though, and I would have felt out of place without dressing. Dang, people really got fancy!! One thing, they are only going to have them on for a hour or so at dinner... so you can rewear a couple nights too. heck, I wore two different skirts both twice... just added new tops.

When my kids hit early teens, I would bring only 2 pair of jeans for regular nights on 7+ night cruises. They wore them over and over because they would only wear them to dinner and the show and then put shorts back on for fun at night. We try to pack light. If an accident occurs, we just wash.

Dress how you feel comfortable. Dress your children how they will feel comfortable. The ones that would be bothered by it, will be bothered by anything.

I would bet that your kids will look just lovely no matter if they are wearing shorts or a pair of khakis. And by that I mean that you are even concerned says a lot. Let them wear what they will be comfortable in and enjoy themselves.

To me, what is of greater concern is manners. I would much rather have a child at my table in a pair of shorts with polite manners and behavior than a child dressed to the nines who is obnoxious and rude.

Enjoy your cruise!

We have all gone wearing shorts before. I think the only cruise I brought pants was Alaska. And I definitely don't wear a dress every night. My husband wears shorts and t-shirts every night except formal/semi-formal.

We did Alaska, but my DS was in either nice jeans, khakis, cords, etc.. And a polo, sweater, or the like. I dressed him how I would if we were going to a family restaurant at home, at 3 years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter