Kids on Mediterranean cruise

We did the Med cruise in 2007 with a 3 and 6 year old. We left the girls on the boat for the major ports (Florence, Rome) and took them off the boat for the smaller ports (Marseille). The kids loved it that way. They got a taste of some of the cities for a few hours, but weren't stuck on a bus for 5 hrs going back and forth to Florence. We ate dinner with them every night and then attended one of the shows. The only miserable people on the boat I witnessed were moms with very small children who had just gotten back from a 10 hr excursion with kids hanging on them the whole time.

We took our 4 (almost 5) DD on the June 6 2007 Med Cruise and originally planned to take her on every shore excursion. It was too much for her. We ended up leaving her on the boat for Rome and Florence which worked out very well. She loved being on the boat and it wasn't an issue at all. FYI - she was never in day care prior to the cruise although she was in preschool.

We found the Med cruise to be a little exhausting from all the back to back shore excursions and if we did it over again we would do the 11 day to get the day at sea in the middle of the cruise.

We're on the med cruise and bringing our 7, 5 and 1.5 yr old. We are so excited and cannot wait to show Europe and Tunisia to the children. I think managing expectations is crucial, we know that it will be hard work and we know that "seeing" Europe as you would if you were just travelling with adults is completely unrealistic. I think children learn alot just by simply being allowed the experiences! They may not remember all of it, but they will definitely get something out of it. To help cope with the port-intensive schedule, we're having "potter" days in a couple of ports and in La Spezia, we've chosen to to go to the nearby Cinque Terre instead of Florence. We have also decided to go with a private tours rather than DCL excursions so as to be able to control things to some degree. Although, we've not been on a Disney cruise, we've always taken the children everywhere we go and we've never regretted it once.

Having said that, travel is such a personal thing. For some, travel is to see and experience the world, for others, its a rare chance for some relaxation. The reasons are many and varied. We all have different wants, priorities and expectations from our holidays. I think whichever you decide to go is ok, so long as you're comfortable with it and you enjoy yourselves! From what I've read, it appears that the DCL kids club and well run and well-organised so your children will be in good hands.

shaylahc1, are you on the April 24 2010 cruise by any chance? Come join us on the thread
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1985309

We did the Med cruise in 2007 with a 3 and 6 year old. We left the girls on the boat for the major ports (Florence, Rome) and took them off the boat for the smaller ports (Marseille). The kids loved it that way. They got a taste of some of the cities for a few hours, but weren't stuck on a bus for 5 hrs going back and forth to Florence. We ate dinner with them every night and then attended one of the shows. The only miserable people on the boat I witnessed were moms with very small children who had just gotten back from a 10 hr excursion with kids hanging on them the whole time.

We did exactly the same thing!! Our kids (ages 4 and 6)were onboard when we went to Rome, Naples, and Cannes.
For Rome, they were in the club at 7am, we went to pick them up at 7pm for dinner and they cried that they wanted stay in the club!!!!!

So we came back at 9pm to get them. 14 hours in the club and they had a blast. (by the way, there were two other sets of parents who did the same)
For me, I think it was safer for them to be in the club then to accidentally get lost in Rome.
Also, by this time, the kids had gotten to know the counselors so well, and the amount of kids in the club were few so it was a really good experience for them.

On the Med Cruise I'll be with just my 9 yr old dd and plan on taking her on the shore excursions with me. However, when I last did a Disney cruise she was only 3 and I was traveling with my husband and three older kids. We left her in the kids club a couple of the days while we did things that would have been uninteresting or unsafe for her. I wondered how she would do there for so many hours but she had an absolute blast! She was (is) a very friendly, sociable and independent child. A child with separation issues may not have done well. You just have to know what will work for your child.

Disney's childcare is very well run. There is a constant stream of fun activities for the kids to participate in. It's also very secure. We couldn't even pick up our own child if we didn't have the appropriate ID. And, honestly, the thought that something might happen to us while onshore never even crossed my mind. We went snorkeling one day and on a 4 wheeling offroad trip another while she played and napped happily in the kids club. That way we could take the older kids on more adventurous excursions that they really enjoyed and in return they were great about going to all the "Princess sightings" and little kid things that she enjoyed. It was a win -win for us all.

We took our 4 (almost 5) DD on the June 6 2007 Med Cruise and originally planned to take her on every shore excursion. It was too much for her. We ended up leaving her on the boat for Rome and Florence which worked out very well. She loved being on the boat and it wasn't an issue at all. FYI - she was never in day care prior to the cruise although she was in preschool.

We found the Med cruise to be a little exhausting from all the back to back shore excursions and if we did it over again we would do the 11 day to get the day at sea in the middle of the cruise.

The extra day helped....but we were still exhausted. It was the day after Rome that had an extra sea day and it was great (especially compared to the comments by the 10 nighters on earlier cruises!) Anyway, I was still tired and overstressed because it was our first cruise and I wanted to do EVERYTHING! I've been more relaxed with the Bahamas and Caribbean cruises.

What was great was that my DD (9 at the time) had just studied Ancient Rome in school. It was great for her to see the Coliseum and Forum.

As I said before, they were 7 and 9 and did very well on the excursions.

Just another thought, too. I grew up with a dad in the Air Force and lived in Germany for several years. My parents took my brother and me on many trips. I will grant that I don't remember everything (I was 4 the first time we moved there and about 9 when we left.) But, I do have incidental memories of things that made an impression on me. And... lots of photo "memories". I love that I can say I went to so many places.:goodvibes

Thanks for all of your thoughts and perspectives. They were very much appreciated and our family is now booked on the May 5th cruise. We are very excited, have a better game plan for the kids, and much better expectations. Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet some of you.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and perspectives. They were very much appreciated and our family is now booked on the May 5th cruise. We are very excited, have a better game plan for the kids, and much better expectations. Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet some of you.

Congratulations! :mickeyjum
It's going to be a great cruise. It's my cruise!
Be sure to join our cruise group on the meetings section of these boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter