Kids headed to College Fall 2012 Check-in

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by zurgswife, Apr 1, 2012.

1. piglet too

piglet too <font color=blue>I will take a Mudslide please<br>

Eliza61 ~ I am so sorry about your husband.

Buckalew11 ~ I did AT too, and had "my" guys that I always taped. Hope she enjoys it, I did not finish and regret that.

My son is doing real good, top grades in all classes. He has been home a couple of times, and really impressed me with doing homework as soon as he got in. Never did that in HS. He has been recommended to be an RA next year, which is a huge thing at his school. If he gets it, he gets free room and meal plan too.

He also has been nominated for an internship in Germany, the summer after his Jr year.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Buckalew11

Buckalew11 2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Do you mean you did not finish as in, did not finish doing it throughout your 4 years? Or you did not go on to be an AT? If not, what did you choose?

DD has done this throughout HS and has enjoyed it. It is a lot more work in college (all practices etc.) but she does enjoy it. She wants to be a PA (at this point) specializing in orthopedics and sports medicine. She always wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon but 2 of DH's best friends are and they say medicine is so up in the air that they feel this is the way to go these days. My BIL is a AT in SC and he steers her clear of being an AT also. Says it is very hard on a DH/dad let alone what kind of life it'd be for a DW/mom. She says "no kids" but we'll see... time will tell all that. Happiness--that's what my main goal for her is! :)

4. piglet too

piglet too <font color=blue>I will take a Mudslide please<br>

At the end of my second year, the college dropped it as a major. They also limited the number of trainers there could be, and since I was not in the right sorority and hung out with the wrong fraternity, I was theO "black sheep" ofthe staff. The head trainer told me she would rather be short a trainer than have me. I had no time to transfer into another program, so I got married instead.

It is a tough, time consuming job. There is more flexibility at larger high schools or colleges though.

5. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

So sorry your ds had to go through that. Sometimes it seems they just have to learn this stuff the hard way!! Glad he made it through. Huge worry for most of us. My dd had her first drinking experience at camp over the summer. Said she figured better to happen at camp vs college since they all know her at camp (works there now, after being a camper since she was 10) and would have her back, so to speak. It showed her that she really didn't need to get drunk to have a good time...so looks like a glass of wine or such for her down the road.

As far as academically? I guess she's doing okay. She says she is..so I guess we wait until final grades are out. She is all registered for her second semester classes. I am finding that she is taking a lot more responsibility for things than I thought she would. She has gotten sick a few times...really bad strep in early Oct, then hand/foot/mouth disease a few weeks ago. We're only about 90 mins away, so she came home to go to her doctor and sleep in her own bed for a few nights.....that's a nice plus when you're sicker than a dog!!

She has been in several theatrical productions so far, and enjoying that. Theatre is her major and she will be choosing a second major next fall...to help augment that so very usable theatre degree!!!

But, she has made good friends, and has a boyfriend. Things are going along nicely. The only 'glitch' so far??? She never signed up for her work study. She was planning on going to DL with her best friend in late May...but the friend found she wasn't going to be able to go. Soooo....dd figured she had plenty of money in her checking account without doing work study!!! Well, we told her that if she wasn't doing work study for second semester, she had to get a job as soon as she got home in May, before she went to camp to work in July!!! Don't think she was too happy to hear that...so is signing up for next semester when she gets back from thanksgiving break!!!

6. kellydizfan

kellydizfan DIS Veteran

DD is at Hofstra. It was a rough start. Homesick, etc. She is doing better. She is with a group of students who are all in the arts. Most of them are Dance. She is a music ed major. Took some getting used to but she is now part of the group. Well with Super Storm Sandy, they had no power for days and she had to spend time with the dorm mates and they really got to know each other. It worked out well. She was talking about changing her major to Music Therapy and changing schools but she will remain with Music Ed w/minor in Pysch. Then go onto Graduate School for Music Therapy & Elementary Ed. DD comes home Wednesday Night for Thanksgiving then doesn't get out for the semester until 12/20 I think it is but she doesn't go back till January 28th. She will need to find a job to earn some extra money for the semester. They manage to hit the mall or Target weekly as the Hofstra Blue Beetle heads that way.

7. Southernmiss

Southernmiss <font color=green>I am hazed everyday<br><font col

So glad to see the updates on the parents :goodvibes as well as the kids. Eliza61, I am so very sorry for your loss.

DS will be home tomorrow night. He loves college--everything about it. He has a new girlfriend he met at college and joined a fraternity.

At midterms he had a 4.0, but told me last week his economics grade has slipped (he HATES it). He's now got a 3.8. He declared a major after entering undecided (Psychology with a minor in Biology-possibly going into neurology in grad school). I saw his schedule for next semester on line tonight. He'll be taking 17 hours.

He is seriously looking at studying abroad over the summer with stops in London and Amsterdam and France. It would be an amazing opportunity and he loves to see and try new things.

He has been refereeing High School soccer for $$. Seems like just last week he was playing in his senior year.

He will work black Friday at AE and they have asked him to work when he's home for Christmas. He gets out Dec 13 for Christmas break.

Best wishes to all the parents and kids out there!

8. Schmeck

Schmeck <font color=blue>Funny thing is now my 17 year old

Eliza61 (((HUGS))), I'm so sorry for your loss.

DD that did not want to go to an all girl school in the city is actually loving it. She tells me she has friends in every class, has gone to a few social things with some of them, and is getting used to the sirens, traffic, etc. Since we live less than an hour away, and her sister is just across the river, we've met up almost every weekend to have fun, go shopping, watch her sister play rugby, and so on.

It's going to be a tear-fest tomorrow though, when I pick her up from the train station. We had to put her favorite kitty down last week (I rushed into Boston to get her, so she got to say goodbye, but she had to go back afterward) and I've been crying every day since because the only thing she asked of me when she went off to school was to "take care of Topaz". Less than 2 months later, and I failed. I know I'm going to start crying when I see her tomorrow. Heck, I'm crying now. sigh...

9. princesspumpkin

princesspumpkin DIS Veteran

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. You are in my thoughts. :worried:

10. Buckalew11

Buckalew11 2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Well that was a situation that stinks! :(

Glad she is so happy but I'm sorry about her kitty. That's hard--same type thing happened when my niece went to PA and her dad is a very. There was just no saving the poor kitty. Hugs to you all.

11. princesspumpkin

princesspumpkin DIS Veteran

Now let's not mock that theatre degree :p Every single person that I know who has a degree in theatre is gainfully employed in their field. Numerous actors (as in television, film and stage), acting professors in conservatory programs, acting coaches and one manager of a few high profile teen actors.

Now my actor friends who don't have theatre degrees do have other jobs to supplement their incomes (like my husband:thumbsup2).

12. StephMK

StephMK DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your visit brings you comfort and continued strength.

13. Boston Tea Party

Boston Tea Party Truth is truth

Things are going well for DD. She never got homesick, which is good, but I am kid sick. Got a call at 2:30 AM on Halloween that started with, "I am OK, but..." There were four people shot on campus. :(

She will not be home this week. I won't see her until Christmas. She was handing out food and blankets on Skid Row the other night. There was a picture posted of her and I did not recognize her. :confused3

I miss her. :sad:

Everybody have a good Thanksgiving. :)

14. Boston Tea Party

Boston Tea Party Truth is truth

I am so very sorry.

15. Patience

Patience DIS Veteran

Eliza61, I'm very sorry for your loss.

My daughter will be home Wednesday (yay!). She's been very busy with cheerleading so she doesn't get to come home much even though she's only 2.5 hours away. We have all missed her but we do get to go to the home football games to watch her cheer (she gets two free tickets per game). Because she's an athlete, she has priority for class registration and she was able to get all the classes she wanted for next semester and will be taking 17hours in the spring. She also found a job for the summer and will be a camp counselor with a day camp program in our town. :cool1: It's full time for 9 weeks, one week of which is a training week, and pays 25 cents an hour more than minimum wage but, hey, it's a job and she can even earn overtime. She has made a lot of friends and is still dating her high school boyfriend.

All in all, she's happy as a clam and everything is going even better than I had hoped it would.

16. kacaju

kacaju DIS Veteran

DD is doing good. She came home once since going to school for her Birthday. She is keeping busy with the dance team. She did have a panic attack yesterday over an exam. : ( . She does not have classes on Wednesday so I am going to get her tonight after her last class.

17. WDWBarb

WDWBarb I need a vacation.

Eliza61, your story helped me with perspective. I'm so sorry for your loss and I am reminded to put my smaller concerns aside. I hope you have a wonderful holiday filled with love and joy.

DD loves college and has had a great time. We don't see her often but she WILL be home for Thanksgiving!! I've taken time off work to prepare for her stay and make it a memorable holiday.

She juggles work, classes and a more-important-than-expected social life. She's (thankfully) put on a few pounds (which she desperately needed after being sick through most of high school) and is looking quite healthy. She goes between blue, pink and purple hair and I think it looks awesome. She has given new definition to the word "independent" :)

August seems so long ago now. DH and I have adjusted better than I expected to being empty-nesters. The dogs miss her terribly still but get SO excited when I tell them she's coming for a visit.

I was thinking yesterday that next semester will be worse because there's only spring break and I know she'll go somewhere with her friends. So I will have to wait from Jan -June to have her home again for more than an hour or so (her school has a required May term). Ugh.

But I can't tell you how excited I am to have her home for Thanksgiving!!

18. eliza61

eliza61 http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/images

:lovestruc

Wow, thanks for all the prayers and well wishes. Boy what a nice way to start my day. :hug:
    We are playing it by ear this holidays but we are going to keep many of the traditions we had with Dh.

When usually all you hear is how this generation is going down the tubes, It's wonderful to hear great things about our young adults. thanks for sharing everyone.

19. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

So true...but you should see people's expressions when I tell them what dd's major is!!! Too funny. I know she will do just fine. Her big goal??? To do the Disney College Program right after graduation (or an Internship) and then be offered a job at WDW!! Not an unattainable goal by any means. Then, after that? Who knows.

Oh man...that's sad. We had to let our 12 y/o golden in July....then dd went off to camp, she came home for 10 days and then moved to college. Right after Labor Day, dh's mother passed away. Then, over Columbus Day weekend, my dad passed away. So poor dd has had her share of sadness in the past few months. I'm sure she'll remember her first college semester as the 'semester of death'!!! Poor kid.

Hope all goes well for you today!!!!:hug:

20. wowsmom

wowsmom DIS Veteran

Eliza61, I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:

My son flies home tonight. I know I'll spend the day hoping he packed, hoping he catches the shuttle on time, hoping he remembers his boarding passes, hoping he makes his flight, hoping he makes his connecting flight, etc. :rotfl2: This is his first time flying completely alone - he has gone on school trips before without us, but has always had somebody with him.

I haven't seen him since August 18th. DH flew up a couple weeks ago to attend DS's first jazz concert. I'm really looking forward to seeing him!

He is loving school and doing really well, but I think he'll be relieved when his economics class is over. He's already registered for next semester. Finals end December 14th and I'm hoping he'll be able to fly home that afternoon or evening, since that's my birthday. pixiedust:

21. java

java <font color=darkorchid>I am embracing the Turkey B

Eliza61 I am so sorry for your loss :hug: