Kids headed to College Fall 2012 Check-in

My son auditioned for his first college production last night and got callbacks for four roles including the leads. He (and his parents) are on pins and needles waiting to see what role, if any, he gets. He is excited and sounds good. I'm so pleased that he went right out and got involved in what he loves at his university.

Congrats to your son!

My son auditioned for Jazz band and Wind Ensemble/Symphony Orchestra last week. He found out Tuesday he got into Symphony Orchestra (and we need to buy him a TUXEDO - we bought him a black suit, figuring he'd get into Wind Ens, where you can wear either - oops!). He just found out that he got into Jazz today and we're so happy for him!

DS is settling in well. He started classes on Monday and seems to like his classes. Says the homework load is pretty heavy, but he is used to that from high school. I guess he's been eating breakfast and lunch alone - none of his floormates are early risers and he eats lunch about 2:00, when he's done with classes (he has three classes in a row with no lunch break), but he's been going to dinner with floormates.

I've gotten a lot of texts that start "where is the...." and have been able to answer every one successfully, except the one asking "where is the planner". So he bought a new one. Otherwise, he's texted to let us know about getting into music, etc.

I'm proud to say I have not cried since leaving WA 2 days after move-in and I'm looking forward to Sunday, when we will Skype again.

My son did get a role, and he is so excited. He didn't get the lead, but he's his understudy. He does have a solo, though. This will be such a good way for him to make friends who love what he loves.

My son auditioned for his first college production last night and got callbacks for four roles including the leads. He (and his parents) are on pins and needles waiting to see what role, if any, he gets. He is excited and sounds good. I'm so pleased that he went right out and got involved in what he loves at his university.

Congratulations!

My son is so excited because his theatre teacher offered the kids a chance to play ghouls in the neighborhood theater on the weekends. They actually will be paid to scare and tour people!:lmao:
scared006.gif

My niece is going home for the weekend, she misses her dogs! We're having a bbq this weekend and my son is looking forward to that. No, we don't have a chance to miss those two, they're very close to my home!

DS is sick :( Strep and sinus infection. I'm so thankful I packed him a box labeled "things you laugh at me for buying but will thankful you have when you get sick". :rotfl2: I am worried because he had mono in January and I really hope he doesn't relapse.

We had planned on taking all the siblings down on Sunday to see his room, take him his razor charger cord (whoops) and some more cold meds, food etc but we are set to get the remains of Isaac and they are calling for lots of rain, wind and tornadoes. If the weather holds, we might go Monday instead. I don't want to go if we can't walk the kids around campus.

My son got stuck in his dorm elevator for 45mins by himself yesterday. He was cleaver enough to post a few instagram pictures of himself in the elevator for posterity.

So, it's been an interesting beginning....

Well, it took a week, but dd actually called today!!! There were a few very brief texts but not much was shared. So, I had to love it when dd posted photos on FB of earlier this week....Monday night I believe, maybe Tuesday. There is the fire truck, right behind her. Seems someone burnt popcorn in her dorm, the fire dept evacuated the dorm, at 11:30pm no less. And some student had an anxiety attack and had to be removed on a stretcher!!! He's home in the dorm and just fine now. And, it seems the police were searching the waters of Mt Hope Bay, beneath the bridge....rumor hath it that there was a jumper...something that evidently happens at least once a month!!! And the bridge is right there, not far from dd's dorm. It's actually at the base of the campus!! Very pretty to look at at night.
Man....crazy week. Then, she went to a theatre get together last night..had auditions and such for the first two productions. She got to talking to one professor who asked her why the heck dd wasn't in her Musical Theatre workshop!!! So, dd added it today. I guess it's okay since it meets on otherwise not so busy days, but man!!!
At least dd is loving college so far. She likes all her classes. And they have a ton of fun stuff to do over the weekend, right on campus.

DD's on her way to their first football game down in AL. So, I worry about them traveling...what else would I do? She's actually done this before (because she's been helping them since she was little) but this is the first official college football game for her to work (AT). Dad's buddy wanted to go down to the game but DH said no, he wanted her to be there w/o him and enjoy it all. Smart move Dad! :)

Of course, had it been LaGrange GA, I'd have been there! They have a great BBQ place there. ;)

Sounds like everyone's had an interesting week! DD's classes have gone well.

As the wife of a FF, there are many calls out to the campus...*sigh* but usually all for small things like that, thank the Lord!

Dropped off my son on Wed. and got my first phone call today. I have been getting texts with quick updates but it was so good to hear his voice.

He's made a bunch of friends already- not his roommates though:confused3 Some other group of kids he met at orientation yesterday. He's loving Boston. And it sounds like a friend of his at Syracuse is miserable and working on transferring to one of the 2 schools right next to DS. He actually ate lunch at the one she really wants to get into today. They are close buddies and that would be nice but I hope she tries to stick it out at least for a semester before deciding to transfer.

I got a list of requests to send so I have to get a box out tomorrow of boring forgotten things. But boy did I love that phone call.

Oh and the big news is that he met an upper classman professor and is already working on a job with him. :thumbsup2 He's creating some video editing interface for a new operating system platform- (whatever the heck that means)

All good stuff. I am not a sad knowing how happy he is!

oops double- I was so excited I guess

Dropped DD off yesterday. We got her room set up. She is in a suite with 3 bedrooms..2 girls to a room. they have a bathroom and a sitting room.

Dropped DD off yesterday. We got her room set up. She is in a suite with 3 bedrooms..2 girls to a room. they have a bathroom and a sitting room.

Hope she enjoys it!
My older DD had that set up 2 years ago as a sophmore. It worked out very nicely.

We are headed down to see DS today as soon as other DS gets out of soccer practice. The little ones are curious about where he lives and keep asking questions and he forgot a couple things he needs (razor charger, his good basketball shoes) so we thought we'd make a day trip. I've packed 2 moving boxes of food so he should be set for awhile ;-)

Bumping this up to see how everyone's kids are suviving their first semester! Are you seeing them for Thanksgiving? When do they come home for semester break?

Bumping this up to see how everyone's kids are suviving their first semester! Are you seeing them for Thanksgiving? When do they come home for semester break?

I was thinking about this thread last night and bumping it up. I guess great minds think alike. :)

DD is coming on Tuesday for Thanksgiving break. She didn't officially quite the job the had in high school and let them know what days she would be home. They ended up scheduling her a shift every day which is great. She is spending a lot of $ on 'stuff' and needs to replenish her account.

She's getting along better with all her room mates now. One was a little 'standoffish' at first but I think has finally some around.

Her last final is 12/17 but she may not have to take it depending on her grade. We are headed down to WDW the 15th and either we'll pick her up on the way or she'll meet us down there. She's been home twice since school started- once for an volunteer thing we do every year and once for fall break.

She's already scheduled classes for next semester. She's nmore excited about those classes than her first semester, especially Sociology of Crime.

DD is having a great time. She is not doing quite as well as we expected based on her HS experience, but her grades are decent. She has already changed her major to Biology, which I fully support and am much more excited about than her original choice of anthro/archaeology.

She loves it there and is trying to move into her sorority house next semester. She has done a good job juggling her job, school, and has joined some groups.

We have only had a few minor disagreements, mainly about her expectations and taking charge of her affairs. For instance, I am not signing off on breaking her housing contract until she has finalized plans with the sorority and gets confirmation that she has a definite spot. That only seems like common sense but she didn't quite see it that way.

We have seen her a few times this semester when she comes home to visit friends. It's been nice that she doesn't have a car because I get some time to chat w/her if I pick her up/drop off. I still really miss her but am glad she seems to have made the transition fairly smoothly.

So far, DD has had a great semester. Her biggest complaint has been math class and the dorm's internet service.

All this week's classes have been cancelled except that 8 o'clock math class on Wednesday so I hope to see her sooner than later on Wednesday but it will depend when friends leave, I'm sure.
I cannot wait to have her home for a few days! Also, a niece and nephew will be home from college also and I am thrilled to have them all together on Thursday.

DD's an student AT for the football team and she was chosen to travel to all away games also. She's a good worker and many of the team like her to tape them--once they have a good game they become superstitious and want her to tape again and again. :) For the first time since 1930 her school's team tied for #1 in their conference. Lots of time and hard work for all. It was an exciting time and basketball started last week. She won't be working b-ball because she got all her hours in during football and needs a break--it has been non-stop since August.

Classes have gone well so far. The math is a thorn in her side but I'm sure she'll work through it all. Her comp class has been the surprise for me. She's done amazingly well in there and as a homeschool mom, I worried about that one more than anything. It is definitely a gift, not something she was taught, lol. But truly, I worried about it more than anything else during the process.

My son is having a blast in Boston. Not a single complaint has come home which I am so happy to not hear! (of course the new girlfriend has plenty to do with that I am sure)I was afraid he would blow us off for Thanksgiving and go to her house- which is nearby his school- but no he wants to come home!:cool1:
So Granddad is driving up there on wed. and will drive him home. *thank you Dad for doing this for me! It will be good for them to have some chatting time.

I pointed out that one brother in particular is very excited to see him and please to make sure to do something with him during the weekend.

If the weather is nice he wants to do a family hike.:thumbsup2

I am cleaning up around here so he doesn't think we've all been slacking off while he is gone. :rotfl2:

Oh and according to him classes are all going great. We'll see......

Glad to hear everyone else's kid is have a good semester. Ours has been rocky to say the least.

Started off with a binge drinking experience that could have killed him if it hadn't been for another student seeking medical help. He's a type 1 diabetic and alcohol especially in large qualities can be dangerous. He has learned a lesson with hard alcohol and binge drinking.

He is doing great academically but is really struggling to find a balance with his social life. He was at the top of the barrel at HS and I think is trying to find a comfortable place in college. It has in turn caused him so much stress he is seeking out guidance from a school counselor today. I hope a little more guidance will help him find stability so he can really enjoy his college years without over thinking it.

Ds is doing well. I lost my dh (his dad) this September to cancer so unfortunately the poor kid got the proverbial midnight call telling him to come home immediately. :sad1: It took every ounce of strength in me to put him back on a page to go back to school.

I'm picking him up from the airport this Wednesday, it will be great seeing him.

LOL, he says he's doing really well (mainly B's) but I haven't seen any grades yet. He has an accounting class that he absolutely hates.

He got an opportunity meet the President the sunday before election day at a campaign rally in cincinnati. I told him to go, no matter which side of the aisle you're on, I think meeting the Prez of the US is pretty cool.

So far, so good. I remind him daily that my money is a terrible thing to waste!!

Ds is doing well. I lost my dh (his dad) this September to cancer so unfortunately the poor kid got the proverbial midnight call telling him to come home immediately. :sad1: It took every ounce of strength in me to put him back on a page to go back to school.

I'm picking him up from the airport this Wednesday, it will be great seeing him.

LOL, he says he's doing really well (mainly B's) but I haven't seen any grades yet. He has an accounting class that he absolutely hates.

He got an opportunity meet the President the sunday before election day at a campaign rally in cincinnati. I told him to go, no matter which side of the aisle you're on, I think meeting the Prez of the US is pretty cool.

So far, so good. I remind him daily that my money is a terrible thing to waste!!

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. If you shared it here, I do not remember (or responding) so I just want you to know how sorry I am and you and your family will be in my thoughts as I am sure the holidays will be tough.

So happy to hear your son is doing so well. That must have been quite a blow even though his dad was sick. Many changes all at once. A friend of DD's father died about a week after she started sophomore year--suddenly, from a heart attack. Her parents were divorced and she lived with dad and had little contact with mom. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter