Kids doing dance competition at Disney

Discussion in 'Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board' started by myasmum, Dec 12, 2012.

1. myasmum

myasmum Mouseketeer

My kids are so happy we went to Disney in 2007 for 1st time ever and it rained the whole time we were there and kids have been bugging me to go back so NOW they will be as our dance studio is attending a competition there but during march break they cannot wait. :cool1:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. SmilingGrump

SmilingGrump Dis Dads Club Member #584

Congratulations to you and your children! That will be a very special lifelong memory! Best of luck to them :thumbsup2

4. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Is this the UCA/UDA International All Star Championship? We were at the All Star Sports resort one year when this was on. The resort was full of girls going to this. :cheer2: It was quite the experience. Hope you all have a wonderful time.

5. Diamondintheruff

Diamondintheruff <font color=magenta>Thinks she saw a flash!<br><fo

6. ferris198

ferris198 DIS Veteran

Was it a trip for you or the kids ?

7. bdoyledimou

bdoyledimou Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in

It's neither -- its a trip for the Dance Studio -- unfortunately, its expensive as all heck, and you try to make it a "Disney vacation" because -- hey we are at Disney!!

but it isn't a disney vacation, it's a competition, that just happens to be at Disney. Don't even TRY to make it a vacation. its not the proper time.

8. anniemck

anniemck DIS Veteran

You can see by my signature I have done Twirlmania with my girls since 2000, 2013 is the first year I will not be attending and this is because one of my daughters is getting married that weekend.
    Either way, be happy you are given your schedule 3 weeks before, we do not get ours until that Friday, and the event for the girls starts Friday night for the majority that are doing any type of solo work, runs until about 10pm, then the beginners/intermediates have to be back at the gym at 7am for it to start again at 8am. They are usually out by 2pm, but if they have any type of advanced routine as well they are there until at least 6pm. Sunday is group work again being at the gym at 7am and some years we have not been finished until 7pm, then other years we have been finished as early as 4:30pm.
    I started the first year going in on Wednesday night, spending Thursday at a park with the girls, Friday getting the line up, souvenirs from the competition and resting up. Comp starts, like I said Friday evening, my girls were Beginner so were done by 2, then we would hit the Magic Kingdom for the rest of the day. Of course they didn't have much time in the park because they march at the beginning of the night time parade as part of the competition. The one year that my daughter and her duet partner were in Advanced we were there ALL DAY, as they went almost last. The next day for group work then as soon as we were done, eat, change and head to DHS for the awards ceremony. Sometimes we can be there for the kids to ride RNR and ToT once before they have to be at the Awards. Monday we head back home, we have been lucky that this is always on President's Day Weekend.
    Yes it is for sure an expensive trip, I know it normally would cost about $2k for us and we stayed off property most years. However, remember the trip is about the competition, not about the vacation... unless you can spend a few extra days afterwards. I would not suggest really before because then the kids could be too exhausted, and depending on the coach they may have practices up until day the whole group leaves and even while there until event time. My girls did hang with their friends at the park, we did what they wanted to do, rode the rides they wanted to ride... several had their first Disney trip with the group, and some have not been back other than for this trip, some came without parents some with. Sometimes the parents were there but left the kids with the group so they could do their own thing as well... whatever works.

9. dancin Disney style

dancin Disney style <font color=blue>I found one to share with some fa

I've been to many, many competitions at Disney with my girls (19yrs of comp. dancing). While yes, you are there for the competition it's not at all hard to have a great vacation. You can't plan it as a "Disney' vacation. It's a regular vacay with some business added in and then a few park days as the icing on top. We always, regardless of the city, plan as many extra days as possible. This past July we were at nationals at the Swan and Dolphin....we stayed 2 weeks. The previous nationals trip was to Myrtle Beach...we stayed 10 days. You have to plan all your time up front as either a dance day or a free day. All the scheduled comp days are planned as dance days and then when you get your actual sched any days that your kids aren't dancing are bonus free days.

We plan a lot of time together as a team....meals and hanging out at the pool. This has always ended up being the best part of these trips. It's fun and relaxing which is what makes for a great vacay. Actually, all team trips are very social even when it's a regional.

10. ferris198

ferris198 DIS Veteran

Very cool and exciting for the kids