Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report). Three-Peat and Done 7/11

When last we spoke, the family was headed to FRANCE for lunch. Not the fancy place in France, just the Patisserie. We were not wasting perfectly good dining credits on a sit down meal in France. We had better places planned. Like CANADA and ITALY. But lunch, outisde, I was all in for that. We strolled along, taking a few photos on the way:
82351A_Canada_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

823512_Kids_Canada_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

We mostly just ambled through Canada. Since Boost was on a mission. For food. Amazing how quickly you can cover a country that size.

Do you suppose that is why Disney did not include a Russia pavilion? How big would THAT have to be. Or, perhaps, it was the cold war. And because a Russian missile would not have been very eye pleasing.

I am among the group that would wish for an expansion of World Showcase, to add a few more countries - Russia included. I find the culture and history of that country fascinating. And, you'd think with the Bazillion Brazillian tourists, that they might want an homage to SOMEPLACE in South America. Just a thought. They could build a Peruvian pavilion and require everyone to hike up a mountain to see it. (Or they could have everyone fly through in little planes. However, those tend to crash in the mountains, don't they? And we wouldn't want cannabilism at Disney. Seeing people turn on each other is simply . . .distasteful.)

Ooops. Sorry. Back to the story.

When we got to Great Britain, I decided I needed to make a phone call. To find out how Grammy and Neatkid were doing on their trek (speaking of the Andes).
82351Amy_Tele_700_x_1050_-med.jpg

Funny, I didn't get through. But they had strict instructions to call me when they reached the Orlando airport, so that we could make it back to the Villa to welcome them. And let them inside.

Onwards and upwards. To France, for lunch, at the Patisserie. Yes, we were still on our way. Trying to soak in the atmosphere. We finally made it over there, and started trolling for a table. Those of you who have eaten here know that these tables are outdoors. And, mostly, in the sun. Well, it was HOT. Even for this Georgia girl, it was hot. We didn't want to eat in the sun. Boost wasn't even sure he wanted to eat here at all. But I prevailed. And I made him look at the menu and he decided that a Ham and Cheese Croissant would do him just fine. Especially when I reminded him that this was one of the FEW places in Dizzy World to get decent coffee. The coffee tipped the scales. So, I left him with the kids with strict instructions to find a table. Swooping if necessary. (EVERYONE was hovering.) I went through the line, made my choices, had to improvise on his dessert because they did NOT have any strawberry tarts. I substituted cheesecake. Which is his favorite.

Actually, I remain convinced that cheesecake is the reason that Boost married me. Because I used to make him a cheesecake (the good kind, New York, baked, from scratch) whenever he wanted one. I was a loving and giving girlfriend like that. Sucker. I think it's been something like 18 months now since I've made a cheesecake. He didn't even get one for his birthday this year. Life is tragedy.

So, I paid for our meal (well, I handed the girl the magic cards and said "dining plan") and went to find the family. He had scooped a table with only partial sun. And, most chivalrously, taken the chair that placed himself in the sun, leaving a shady spot for me.

Perhaps I should make him a cheesecake for that. Or perhaps the one piece that I handed him at the time covers that little kindness. (Okay, it was a big kindness.)

The kids were ready to dive in. To my chocolate mousse. I insisted on real food first. At least a bite or two. They complied. A little bit of ham from Boost, a little bit of egg from mom. (Yes, real Moms DO eat quiche.)

All in all, it was a pleasant repast. Except Boost wanted to know where his coffee was. Silly me, I thought he would want it AFTER his meal. He finished and went back in line. I thought he was getting himself a Cappuccino, which is his usual preference. But, like all good marriages, there are occasional surprises. He got himself a double espresso.

I think he was feeling a little tired. From pushing the stroller. With 60 lbs of kid in it. And watching me carry the video camera.

Of course, the double espresso came in the teensy tiny little espresso cup. Boost is accustomed to big giant mugs of coffee. That he gulps. In large quantities.

He declared the espresso a "coffee tease."

I laughed heartily and drank my water.

Then we decided to head back to Great Britain and see if we could locate Pooh and Friends. And, I had it on good authority that the Princesses that were at Breakfast that morning would be milling about the World Showcase that afternoon, in various places. We were on the lookout.

Next chapter: Now we know why Wesley loves her so much . . . (Page 15, Post 223)

Love reading your TR...it's informative and hilarous! (Especially the part about the cheesecake...I can relate!) :thumbsup2

After Boost's coffee tease, we backtracked to Great Britain to find the Hundred Acre Crew. Who, I was told, were usually in the toy store. We found out throughout this trip that they are, indeed, usually in the toy store. Often.

When we walked in, the place was fairly deserted. I think there were a couple of people there, but not a lot. We had not started the kids on kidcot stuff, and didn't start there either. The kids were distracted by the castle play set (which is, admittedly, really cool), and NoFear spotted the Tinkerbell costume. There was an immediate exclamation of "OOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!"

Tinkerbell is one costume that I had not tackled. I don't particularly like working with tulle, and it's hard to get just the right color of green. PLUS, Tink has a SHORT skirt. Ack. But she had been asking, and I had been putting her off.

When we pushed past the Tink costume, we found Mary Poppins and Alice sitting in their armchairs just doing . . .nothing. Well, Alice might have been sewing or something. Seems like she did have something in her hands. NoFear was excited to see them again. And before we could even get up there, Mary Poppins exclaimed: "Oh, my, it's Snow White!" This, even though we had changed NoFear after breakfast. I was impressed. I mean, how many kids do each of these characters see every day? And she remembered my little girl and my prince. Mary turned to Alice and explained to her that she had seen NoFear at breakfast, knew that she was really Snow White, and must have just been in disguise for the afternoon. Alice was suitably impressed.

It was kind of neat to have the two of them all to ourselves for a few minutes. And the Shrimp THOUGHT about getting closer, I could see it in his eyes. After all, Poppins is HIS favorite.

This is as close as he got:
82351J_and_Poppins_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

He was not any braver with Sissy there to protect him, either:
82351Kids_and_Poppins_1_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

And, since he didn't recognize Alice (and with the added presence of Poppins), he wouldn't go near her. NoFear had no fear (and she was still sporting Snow White's kiss):
82351A_and_Alice_2-med.jpg

I've got to say that when (yes, when, a mama can dream) NoFear grows up and becomes a castmember, I think she would make a great Alice or Aurora. It has to do with her coloring. And long blonde hair. Does Alice always wear a wig, too?

Shortly, some other children arrived, and I made my kids break away. PLUS, Pooh and crew were to return shortly, and we needed to get in line. This was going to be the kids' first encounter with big heads at Disney World. I knew that NoFear wouldn't have a problem, after all, she was willing to associate with that giant rat at Chuck E. Cheese's. And he's just creepy-dee. Again, I had no high hopes for the Shrimp. Good thing, too, cause he was not BUDGING onto the carpet, and was, frankly, a bit distressed that Sissy was running up to them and giving hugs. He was, therefore, contented with clinging to his daddy's neck. Since Mommy was taking pictures:

82351A_and_Piglet_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

82351A_Piglet_Pooh_816_x_1224_-med.jpg

As we left, NoFear again looked longingly at the Tinkerbell outfit. (And I surreptitiously checked the price: $60, WITHOUT the shoes, crown, wand, and whatever other accessories were available. I think NOT.)

So, we, good soldiers, kept marching on. And noticed, as we were crossing the International Gateway bridge, that Aurora was out in France. This was to be the same SPECIAL Aurora of Wesley's (the littlest Whirlwind Tripper, you know. We know him, and them . . .) So, we wanted to be sure to say hello again. Boost was briefly distracted when we got to the pavilion by the "Serveur Amusant" who stacks chairs an unhealthy distance from the ground, and then balances on top.

Frankly, I don't want him giving my kids ideas. (Too late. I have recently found the Shrimp stacking his RIDE-ON toys on top of stepstools to try and reach things.) I finally told Boost that I really wanted to take the kids to see Aurora, that I didn't know how long she would be out, but that if he wanted to stay there in the SUN where it was HOT watching the chairs, that I could handle the kids by myself. He came with me. Huh.

And we waited in line for Aurora. Briefly. (2 or 3 kids back). It was, again, gratifying that she noticed us and smiled when we joined the line, and that she immediately recognized the kids and remembered their names when it was our turn. And. Since we were actually the LAST people in line, she spent some extra time coaxing the Shrimp - and was rewarded with success! (This is a really special princess everyone - Mark, Rhonda and Wesley are not exaggerating!)

82351J_and_Aurora_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

I really don't remember what we were talking about here - I know that NoFear had just pointed out Aurora on her shirt, and I think we might have been talking about NoFear's birthday in a couple of days:
82351Aurora_Surpise_1100_x_733_-med.jpg

And, looky looky, the Shrimp likes Princesses!
82351Aurora_and_Kids_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

After the Aurora encounter, I had high hopes that the Shrimp might eventually overcome his fear and consent to pictures with characters by the end of the week. Understand, I was NOT going to let this be the deciding factor in a good vacation, since I really didn't expect him to get near ANY big heads. He was having a good time waving at the characters from a distance, and that was good enough for me - he loved seeing them, just didn't want to get near them.

He now talks a big game about the characters, seeing them, hugging them, etc. He's delusional. Is that the basis for becoming a lover of all things Disney?

Next Chapter: Huh, and YOU said I shouldn't talk to everyone! (Page 15, Post 225)

The kids look like they are having fun. What a great pic of Mary Poppins. Even if he didn't go near he will be excited over looking at the pics.

I never noticed how long NoFears hair was. She has beautiful hair. That pic with her hugging pigget shows it will. So cute your kids are.

Great installment Amy.

After reluctantly leaving Aurora, I convinced Boost that we needed to see the film in France. Because, as crazy as it sounds, my major in college was FRENCH. Minors in history and political science. I initially thought to warp the minds of the next generation. Student teaching cured me of THAT thought. And, in connection with my major, I spent a semester abroad, in, you guessed it, FRANCE.

Please don't hate me for that. I do not support their political views. Hardly ever.

For those that haven't been there, though, let me assure you that France is a BEAUTIFUL country. Diverse in culture and regions. And they have some banging wine. And real champagne. So does the French pavilion, by the way. Not that I got any this year. I had read in my trusty rusty passporter that the tourism film in the French pavilion was extremely well-done. I wanted to see it. Plus, the Shrimp needed a nap, and I thought we might have an outside shot.

As we approached the entrance, I said "Bonjour" to the attendant (Sandra) and asked her where she was from in France. She's from the big city. Boost was trying to drag me away. I told her that I thought Paris was wonderful.

I think he thinks that I talk too much.

I don't know where he gets that idea.

As he pulled me away, I continued speaking with Sandra over my shoulder, and practically had to yell that I had spent a semester in France when I was attending University. Boost rolled his eyes. I didn't actually see it, but I KNOW it happened.

Sandra abandoned her post at the front door and came to talk to me. We spoke briefly about where I attended school (Angers), and how much I loved Paris and the country. Then she returned to her duties, telling all the other happy vacationers how long they would get to wait in the AIR CONDITIONING before the film. When she got a break, she came back up to us and explained that each day a family was designated "Family of the Day" and was given special recognition. She would very much like for us to be that family, would we?

Heh heh. OF COURSE!!!

She also wanted NoFear to help her announce the rules for the theater, would that be okay???

I'm all for that!!!

She asked us to stand by the podium, and at the right time she would call us - COOL!!!!

So, she did the usual intro to the film, said hello to everyone and did her spiel. Then she recognized us and asked NoFear to help her with the rules:
82351Announcing_Rules_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

And then (embarrassment) she asked me to say a few words in French. Understand that I haven't spoken French on any sort of consistent basis since I graduated from college. I got one of those highly USEFUL degrees, ya know. I graduated from college in 1992, btw. So, by my math, that is 14 years of MISUSE of the French language.

And, I didn't think that "Croque Monsieur" and "Cappuccino" was quite what she was looking for.

And, further, I once again proved that I don't always think well under pressure. I was only able to come up with "pas maintenant." (That means "not now.") Could I nowtsomething pithy like "Vive le France!"? What a moron.

After it was all said and done, Sandra gave us a really nice "Magical Moments" certificate - the one with the gold embossed symbols of each of the parks at the top on cardstock. It was really very nice. Wish I had a scanner to show it to you . . . Ah, well.

But this was the beginning of the proof for Boost that maybe talking, chatting, and being generally sociable with castmembers (and other vacationers) might be a good idea. Could lead to great things. Could make things happen! (Like last night and the fireworks wasn't enough proof?)

We watched the movie (it IS well-done), the Shrimp did NOT fall asleep. We dumped into the shop, walked right through, and continued on our way. Honestly, I didn't get to see much of the shops this trip, since it is really hard to shop under the best circumstances with a 2 and 4 year old along. It is impossibly difficult when it is at Disney World and they want everything in sight.

How sad is it that when the Shrimp asks for something in the store now, NoFear will turn to him and say "No. You can't have that. It's too ‘spensive." I wonder where she's heard THAT before?

Back to Epcot . . .

By this point in the afternoon, I had given up any thought of heading to the Magic Kingdom. Grammy's plane was to land at @4:45, and I knew we would need to leave around then. So, we just looked around a few places, then found Jasmine in Morocco:

(I told you the Shrimp liked princesses!)
82351Kids_and_Jasmine_1100_x_733_-med.jpg

I started to think that we should get back to the Villa and regroup, but we still had some unused Soarin' fastpasses. I decided to not Soar, and to go to Mousegear instead with the Shrimp to buy the blue autograph book. And then meet back up with Boost and NoFear and try to hit Character Connection before we left for the day (since I have HEARD that it rarely has a long line, and many a character can be found there!)

That was our plan, and we were sticking to it . . .

The Character Incident (Page 16, Post 239)

My boys are princess lovers too. But will only admit it to certain people! :lmao:

Awesome pics!

Great TR so far! I'm finally all caught up reading it! :blush: (I fell behind while we were gone on our own WDW adventure!) Your kids are really adorable and it looks like you all had a wonderful time!

-Michelle

Awwww those photos are just precious :goodvibes

I tricked my DS (13) into a photo op with Aurora as she was by herself one day as we walked towards France. She was just wonderful :thumbsup2

Amy your on a roll now....love it. I know don't get used to it. See I can do what you do with the hubby.You just know what in each other head. That is what I meant early. You don't have to see the eyes roll to know they are doing it.

Amy - loved catching up on your TR! Welcome back.

The pictures of Shrimp and NoFear are great!

Sadly just about the point they get used to the characters they become too cool for them. DS didn't want to have his pic taken with Pooh this year and it upset Pooh. So we have great pics of Pooh chasing DS around trying to get him to pose for a pic!

Looking forward to more!!

GeorgiaAristocat said:
I finally told Boost that I really wanted to take the kids to see Aurora, that I didn't know how long she would be out, but that if he wanted to stay there in the SUN where it was HOT watching the chairs, that I could handle the kids by myself. He came with me. Huh.

Amy - you have a way with words :rotfl2: :rotfl2: And how you convinced your DH to eat somewhere cause they have good coffee, but didn't get him any :lmao:

Loving the pics and the way your weave this tale :cheer2:

Amy,

I finally caught up. What a great reports, and your kids are sooo cute!

Meethinks the Shrimpster is following in Wesley's footsteps....

Amy! I am late to the party due to my new part time job of writing a TR myself, but I am catching up and loving it! :goodvibes

Just turning the page for you...... :wave2:

GeorgiaAristocat said:
And, looky looky, the Shrimp likes Princesses!
82351Aurora_and_Kids_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

He now talks a big game about the characters, seeing them, hugging them, etc. He's delusional. Is that the basis for becoming a lover of all things Disney?

Hi Amy,

Just catching up!

This is just the sweetest pic :)

Isn't it great that it is HOW he remembers it? :)

Amy, I LOVE the pics of Shrimp with the princesses. You are a wise mama to not hinge your vacation glory on pictures with kids and characters -- prepare for nothing, and be happily surprised when you get a few shots.

loving the report ... get back to work!

Well, Boost and NoFear successfully soared. Again. And the Shrimp and I made it back to the exit area in time to meet them. We did, indeed, head to Character Connection to meet the big cheese. Grammy called me as we were in the very short line to see Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, and Chip and Dale. NoFear was very excited and couldn't wait to see them. NoFear was, understandably, a bit more hesitant. He was, as usual, willing to be held and wave and shout at them, but did not want to get close. I wasn't worried, it was the first day. (Yes, we are STILL on the first day.)

NoFear whipped out the new autograph book and started a new collection. And we got pictures. Lots of pictures:
82351NF_and_Mickey_1504_x_1000_-med.jpg

82351NF_and_Pluto_1354_x_900_-med.jpg

82351NF_and_Goofy_900_x_1354_-med.jpg

82351NF_and_Minnie_1000_x_1504_-med.jpg

I was accompanying her while Boost held on to the Shrimp. And then . . . the incident . . .

It really was NOT crowded at all in the Character connection.

Pluto is playful. And Boost HAD gotten the Shrimp close enough for a picture a few minutes before:
82351Shrimp_and_Pluto_900_x_1354_-med.jpg

As the Shrimp was yelling greetings to Minnie Mouse, Pluto decided to sneak up on him.

Note to Disney: this is a BAD idea with hesitant toddlers.

Now, it's not like Pluto set out to terrify my child, or said "boo" or anything like that. But he walked up behind the boy and touched his back. I noticed the incident when I heard the blood-curdling, terrified, panicked screaming coming from my son. And noticed Boost turning blue because the boy was clinging so tightly to his neck.

Pluto galloped away. And tried to find some earplugs.

Then, bless her, Minnie tried to make it better by offering him stickers.

More screams and tears and burying of the face into daddy's neck. Although he did somehow end up with the stickers. He likes stickers. A lot.

Meanwhile, NoFear is a pit peeved that Minnie was taken away from her by her brother's antics, and had, therefore, moved on to the "squirrels."

All in all, while I have no scientific proof of this, I believe that the Shrimp's progression to pictures with the characters suffered a serious setback. I'd say about five days, give or take.

But NoFear was having fun, and decided to go through the room a SECOND time. And Boost said we had plenty of time to get back to the Villa and to let her do so. So we did. Then we headed out of Epcot. And came across a Photopass photographer at the entrance. We stopped for some family portraits.

82351Family_Epcot_900_x_1354_-med.jpg

FINALLY we loaded up in the car and returned to the villa. As we entered the resort, there was a towncar directly ahead of us. I had my suspicions, which proved correct. And we pulled up at the same time as Grammy and NeatKid. Hugs, kisses, tears all around. I was very happy to see them both. It had been since the Christmas before (more than 9 months) since I had seen my mom, which was probably the longest we had ever gone without seeing each other.

The driver unloaded the bags, and Boost proceeded to help carry them in, then my Mom went to pay. As it turns out, the service accepts cash only. Which we all probably should have known, but had somehow slipped through Grammy's brain. So, she didn't have any small bills (this was a one-way fare, as I would be taking them to the airport on the morning they left.) Can you believe that the driver couldn't make change for a $100? (Or, maybe, it was that he said he only had $25 on him or something, and Mom wasn't going to tip THAT much.) So, she and I pooled our small bills and he ended up getting a smaller tip than he would otherwise have been given (not because she wanted to, only because we didn't have any more small bills.)

It was, at that time, around 5:30 p.m.

We had the rest of the night ahead of us, and I knew that there was both Spectromagic and Wishes at the Magic Kingdom that night. . .

The Cure for the Common Commando (Page 17, Post 254)

Yeah! Another post! I really felt like I was RIGHT THERE when Shrimp had that terrifying attack of the Pluto. And I kind of have to agree with him - at least now. When I was little, I loved the characters. Now, not so much. I have no idea what it is, except that knowing someone is inside there saying or thinking anything they want about me annoys me a little. OK, enough about me ;)

Next installment, please!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter