Kids' Club registration for a 12-year-old?

He has said that he wants to go to the Edge, but he wants to check in on his younger brother too (he tends to be protective because his brother is autistic). I think he was intrigued by some of the things he saw online for both. I will get him signed up for both and let him make his choices from there.

I appreciate the heads up on the planning meeting at the Edge the first night. Thanks, DisBoard buddies!

It's nice that he is protective and wants to check in on his brother. I swear sometimes I think my two boys hate each other and then one of them will do something nice - and I think - hey they do love each other.

KristiMc said:
It's nice that he is protective and wants to check in on his brother. I swear sometimes I think my two boys hate each other and then one of them will do something nice - and I think - hey they do love each other.

I have the same thing happen at my house! Ahh, the joys of being a parent!

He has said that he wants to go to the Edge, but he wants to check in on his younger brother too (he tends to be protective because his brother is autistic). I think he was intrigued by some of the things he saw online for both. I will get him signed up for both and let him make his choices from there.

I appreciate the heads up on the planning meeting at the Edge the first night. Thanks, DisBoard buddies!

I think someone has mentioned he may not have the option on your cruise to go between the Lab and Edge. None of our cruises have offered that option. It depends on how many kids are on the cruise apparently, along with the CMs running the kid areas.

Even though there isn't a dedicated concierge lounge on the Magic, DCL has one of the bars set up for concierge passengers to meet with the concierges and reps from the youth clubs, spa, etc., to go over itinerary and sign up for any additional activities that you didn't already do on-line. But, as others have said, if the line isn't long and you still have time before boarding, it is easy to do in the terminal, too.

Thank you. I didn't know they set up one of the bars like that. Great to know.

Is this different for concierge then? Just curious because that was who I called and who told me I could do it at the check in counter. Of course so far I have learned that shore side concierge is often incorrect from these boards! :confused3 Either way I would like to know so I can be prepared. Thank you!

With the 11 year you might have to do it at the club/lab b/c of the pre-registration issue. But the rest of the kids in your signature, assuming you have signed them up online, can indeed get their bands at concierge checkin. DS got his at concierge checkin for our cruise. So he went on board with his band already on. SO easy.

And since they obviously have the bands there, I know I would ask if you can do the signin at the checkin as well.

Will have to wear the band in Lab but can easily be cut off and put back on the next time they go to the Lab. Just don't loose the tracker.

Based on my experience on my last two cruises (Dream in 8/12 and Wonder 2/13), they can keep the band even when going to edge.

My DS12 in the Dream started at Club and then on the second day started going to Edge. But since he wasn't sure if he would go back to Club, he kept the band on all the time.

This time in the Wonder, he went straight to Edge. He was given a band (paper type). But we saw other kids wearing both the Club electronic band and the Edge paper band.

I know in the past, Edge would require you to remove the band. That does not seem to be the case now.

You mentioned that your 11-year old was intrigued by the Lab and also was motivated about being with his brother sometimes. Just an FYI, but my DD tried Edge when she was 11 and then opted back to Lab for the rest of the cruise. (We were fortunate to be on one where it was an option.) When she was was 12 - almost 13 - she tried Edge again and loved it this time. She said when she was 11 that the 13-year olds intimidated her!

Slightly OT, but now that she's almost 14, she has said she really would prefer one more year of Edge instead of going to Vibe.....which is one of the reasons we are trying RCCL (that, and a whole lot of other reasons to do with itinerary!) They split their teens into groups, too - something like 12-14 and 15-17, which DD said she would prefer rather than launching in with a bunch of junior/seniors when she's about to start 9th grade.

Flexsmom,
I can see that happening with DS. He is small for his age so might be overwhelmed in the Edge. I'm just going to let him make his own choices and remind him that his brother will be fine if he wants to go to the tween area. And then hope that's true lol!

Based on my experience on my last two cruises (Dream in 8/12 and Wonder 2/13), they can keep the band even when going to edge.

My DS12 in the Dream started at Club and then on the second day started going to Edge. But since he wasn't sure if he would go back to Club, he kept the band on all the time.

This time in the Wonder, he went straight to Edge. He was given a band (paper type). But we saw other kids wearing both the Club electronic band and the Edge paper band.

I know in the past, Edge would require you to remove the band. That does not seem to be the case now.

That is odd. Seems they want to do away with the age group limits as well as being able to easily distinguish which kids belong in the Edge and which do not. Might be a good thing our upcoming cruise will likely be our last on DCL.

With the 11 year you might have to do it at the club/lab b/c of the pre-registration issue. But the rest of the kids in your signature, assuming you have signed them up online, can indeed get their bands at concierge checkin. DS got his at concierge checkin for our cruise. So he went on board with his band already on. SO easy.

And since they obviously have the bands there, I know I would ask if you can do the signin at the checkin as well.

Thank you for the heads up on that. I do have my other three pre-registered so it is just my oldest we have to figure out. I will at least ask about it at check in and see what they say. If not, we will head to the lab.

This is interesting because that is what the CM told me over the phone. I wonder if they are changing it to this?

Now I'm nervous....our cruise isn't until August so I haven't got to the registration date yet but was planning on my 12 year old daughter using both Edge and the Club/Lab. I'm pretty sure our cruise will be pretty booked up and I'm afraid of her being locked into one or the other. My 6 year son has sensory processing disorder and often needs to have her or one of us around at first until he feels that things are "safe" for him. I don't mean just one time, each time he goes he would probably need at least 30 minutes of her being there to get him into a "safe zone", otherwise he will most likely refuse to go in. Is there any way to make a special request so that she doesn't have to get locked into one or the other? (She really wants to be in the Edge most of the time)

ajgardner said:
Now I'm nervous....our cruise isn't until August so I haven't got to the registration date yet but was planning on my 12 year old daughter using both Edge and the Club/Lab. I'm pretty sure our cruise will be pretty booked up and I'm afraid of her being locked into one or the other. My 6 year son has sensory processing disorder and often needs to have her or one of us around at first until he feels that things are "safe" for him. I don't mean just one time, each time he goes he would probably need at least 30 minutes of her being there to get him into a "safe zone", otherwise he will most likely refuse to go in. Is there any way to make a special request so that she doesn't have to get locked into one or the other? (She really wants to be in the Edge most of the time)

Tell the CMs they will help.

ajgardner said:

I honestly don't know how my younger son will do. I haven't found much info about how kids with autism or other sensory disorders have done in the club. I'm just going to play it by ear and start by seeing how he does at the open house times.

When you embark you will go to a designated lounge, on the Wonder it was the Cadillac lounge, and the concierge will take care of everything. Have fun! :)
Ok. Thank you. We don't have a lounge as we are on the Magic. Sooo...I am going to assume I need to head to another line then after check in. Wish they would get it right when you call. It is the 3rd time I have asked them something and it turns out the real answer is different then what they have told me! It's like when you call WDW and they say your connected rooms are "absolutely guaranteed". But they really aren't! ;)

Ok, from what I've read here, DD 11 does NOT pre register for the Edge, despite the fact that our cruise documents say I can pre register onlinewho can pick her up and create a password? I can't find the place to do it online. But if she isn't comfortable with the older kids in the Edge, I DO have to register her onboard to use the Oceaneers??

Ok, from what I've read here, DD 11 does NOT pre register for the Edge, despite the fact that our cruise documents say I can pre register onlinewho can pick her up and create a password? I can't find the place to do it online. But if she isn't comfortable with the older kids in the Edge, I DO have to register her onboard to use the Oceaneers??

Correct, if she is going to the EDGE there is no registration and no pick-up or password - those kids are allowed self-check-out priviledges. If you/she prefers the Oceaneers Lab, you can register her either in the terminal or onboard because she will need a wristband. She can try out the Edge first and then switch if she really doesn't like it, or you can decide from the get-go that you'd prefer her to be at the Lab.

Enjoy your cruise!

For the Club/Lab, the concierge check-in inside the terminal can register the kids and provide the bands. On the Dream, there are kids clubs representatives inside the Concierge Lounge that can also process the registration but I don't know if they can do the bands. We've done the Dream twice in Concierge and both times all of my kids were able to get their bands at the Concierge check-in desks.

FWIW, we were on the Wonder last week and my DS11 was registered for both the Club/Lab and the Edge and had both wristbands on the entire cruise. We got his Club/Lab wristband at check in at the port and the Edge wristband at the Edge open house on the ship. Even though he wasn't "pre-registered" online, because he was already in the system as a cruise guest it was a quick matter to get his Club/Lab wristband at check in. He mostly went to the Edge but did a few activities in the Club and Lab with his sister (age 4). It was nice to have the flexibility, especially with an activity that I wasn't sure my DD would be comfortable doing on her own (like the Ratatouille cooking class in the Lab). She loved doing it with big brother.

I honestly don't know how my younger son will do. I haven't found much info about how kids with autism or other sensory disorders have done in the club. I'm just going to play it by ear and start by seeing how he does at the open house times.

My daughter (a month shy of 9 when we cruised last October) has epilepsy and high functioning autism with some pretty significant sensory issues and she loved the Club/Lab. We couldn't get her out of there sometimes. We were only on a 3 day cruise, but after the first day, she even stayed there while we were at dinner and the shows. There was less commotion to bother her there than in the main dining rooms or theatre, and it gave our older daughter some one on one time with us which doesn't happen often given all of her younger sister's needs.

As an aside, my eldest (11 1/2 when we cruised) had absolutely no interest in the Club/Lab, but really enjoyed herself at the Edge--and loved being able to check herself in and out.

Catherine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter