Kids 8,6,3 - which park for a one day trip - Universal Studios or Island of Adventure?

jlk51496

Mouseketeer
It is my first time on this part of the website. Whoohoo!

Newly Florida residents and Family is coming in and we have one day planned to go to either US OR IoA. Which one is better for my 8,6,3 yr olds!? Keep in mind my 8 and 6 yr old LOVE all roller coasters, fast, upside down - only thing that keeps them off is the height restrictions on some!

I've been to both parks but it's probably been 15 years!

Thanks for any input!

If folks are only doing one park, I always suggest Universal. It has more attractions for all ages and it has Diagon Alley (new).

We visited both parks with our kids 8 & 6 just a few weeks ago for the first time and we agreed that we enjoyed IOA more than USF. USF, while we enjoyed it, seemed like a lot of the same thing, 3D glasses & 4D effects, save the world, repeat. What we liked at IOA were overall theming of each "land" and rides Storm Force accelatron, Spiderman, Pteranodon Flyers & Jurassic play area, Harry Potter kid coaster & Dr Seuss area.

Universal. IOA tends to be more for boys, IMHO. The negative to Universal is that there are no water rides - but you can still get wet in the Curious George play area. Little kids like yours will like Despicable Me, Shrek, Simpsons, ET, Barney, the Animal Show, Curious George, Fievels Playland, and maybe MIB.

I took my son to Universal at age 3 and age 5. We liked IOA best then (this was before he loved Harry Potter and pre-Diagon Alley at Universal). Now at age 8, he's mostly looking forward to Diagon Alley, BUT other than that, he wants to go to the superhero rides (in IOA) and the water rides (again, IOA). So, based on that, unless your kids are big Harry Potter fans and specifically want Diagon Alley (Universal) over seeing Hogwarts (IOA), I'd pick IOA.

i was leaning towards IoA bec of the water rides and Dr. Seuss and popeye (that's grandpa's favorite - and he'll be with us) and jurassic park (the LOVED that movie). Glad some people suggested it bec i was starting to doubt myself in the decision. We are not at Harry Potter stage yet - My 8 yr old DD asked if she can read that this summer - so maybe our next trip we will do that! Thanks everyone - seems to be about 50/50! I guess I cant go wrong with either! ;)

Last edited:
I was going to suggest IoA too, but really it depends on your family's likes.

IoA - water rides (3)
Dr Seuss area (even I love this area, we ride Cat in the Hat about 20 times in the week we are there) and my boys are 10-14
Harry Potter (this is where the journey begins, personally, I'd do the castle tour at least, if anyone likes Potter)
Jurassic Park (my kids love the interactive center and the playground more than the rides, haha)

Studios is great too. We love all the shows! But, if I could only do one, I'd pick IoA.

It's funny - we spent so much more time in Studios this past trip. It just seemed like we covered most of IOA fairly quickly in a 3/4 day. That said, both parks have awesome stuff :)

We are here now and find that our daughters, 8 and 2, prefer the rides and attractions in IOA. Jurassic Park is by far their favorite area of both parks. They also love Flight of the Hippogriff and Seuss Landing. US is awesome too, but if we had to pick one for younger kids, it is IOA.

It is my first time on this part of the website. Whoohoo!

Newly Florida residents and Family is coming in and we have one day planned to go to either US OR IoA. Which one is better for my 8,6,3 yr olds!? Keep in mind my 8 and 6 yr old LOVE all roller coasters, fast, upside down - only thing that keeps them off is the height restrictions on some!

I've been to both parks but it's probably been 15 years!

Thanks for any input!
This is a tough choice. If you are able I would get the park to park ticket.

My kids are 4,6, and 8 and they all loved the Suess area at IOA. I think out of both parks that is the nicest area for kids.

At Universal there is the fivel and curious George sections but those are water themed and involve getting wet to the point of needing a change of clothes.

Plus at IOA you have the Jurassic Park discovery center which my eight year old loved and there is the Hippogriff coaster that is nice for smaller kids.

Though at Universal you have the Minion ride and the Simpsons area.

As a whole my family preferred to be at IOA but it's easy to do both parks in one day and if you get the park to park you can ride the Hogwarts Express!

Have a look at the website with the park layout on it.

You can see what`s in both parks and get an idea of what your family would prefer between the two of them.

Tough choice though.......

IOA. I felt like there was very little for my 3yo at US aside from the play areas. At IOA he loved Seuss, Pteranadon Flyers, flight of hippogriff, and Jurassic playground. Mine had just turned 3 and wasn't tall enough for spider man yet, but yours may be. But he loved seeing all the superheroes. He still talks about giving green goblin a high five. Older kids would be happy in either park, I think. Mine love the thrill rides too. I didn't let them go on Hulk but they did multiple rides on dragon challenge.

They may love roller coasters but the only ones at either park they will be big enough to ride is flight of the hippo griff in IoA / Hogsmead. What's the price difference in two park tickets ? As it's not really two parks it essentially same size as Magic Kingdom.

Our youngest girls (4,11) loved IOA. Universal was okay, but everyone had a much better time at IOA. Dr. Seuss was amazing! Curious George(universal) was a waste of time in our opinion.

We're only two adults but preferred Universal over IOA, and spent more time at Universal as well. With kids, I'd think IOA would be more appealing. We did prefer Diagon Alley at Universal over Hogsmeade at IOA, but kids might be more inclined to like the rides than appreciate the theming. In that case, Hogsmeade is better.

I'd also agree that I'd try to find the money and time to do both parks if you can.

all depends on your tastes. IOA has cartoon alley with the water rides and Dr. Seuss and Universal has the Woody Woodpecker area, Shrek and Despicable Me (both have Harry Potter sections).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter