Kickin Cancer's Butt Trip report in progress

sk8jdgca

DIS Veteran
Trip report

Hello every one. We are now 39 days away from our "Kickin Cancer's Butt" trip and I'm getting down right excited! I have 2 more chemo treatments then the pic line comes out and I can swim again! I still have one more surgery in the fall but the end of treatment is coming into focus!

Little backdrop to our story. We are a little, powerful family if 3. My DD is 16 and Ds is 12. We've been a formidable little gang since their dad walked out of our lives 10 years ago. We love to travel and have been doing it since DS was 2. Both of my kids are dancers. DS is in a professional ballet program in Toronto and only gets the month of Aug off when his sister is off. DD is a competitive dancer so in the winter we are travelling to competitions. She is currently training with a regional ballet company in Toronto right now too, so I am childless for the next 2 weeks! She is entering her last year of high school this fall but hopes to go to the same school as DS fir her post secondary program so maybe soon they will be on the same holiday schedule!

The plan was hatched while I've been laying around trying to recoup from this cancer deal. I was diagnosed Oct 1 with a 5 cm tumour but I've been through chemo, radiation and surgery that seemed to have gotten everything ( of course you just never know though) the chemo I'm doing now is the "clean up crew" making sure there are no rogue bad cells hanging around. Radiation was terrible and I didn't get over my surgery well. I actually ended up being airlifted in March to a critical care centre with septic shock after my surgery. But I'm getting much stronger, my scooter has gone back and I'm working on my walking strength.

One of my bucket lists has been to go Discovery Cove since it opened. So that is number one on my list for this trip. That gave us 14 days at sea world and aquatics and I so looking forward to that. I also am going to upgrade our buy 2 get one free Uni resale tickets to power passes ( not sure if I should totally upgrade to the other annual pass)

The first 3 nights, we are staying club level at Portifino! Then we are off to Sheraton vistana Resort for 7 more nights! Yesterday I found our Sheraton stay 500 cheaper so I rebooked for the savings. I've been keeping an eye on groupon, living social and others to get some meal deals.

Today I ordered minion tanks for DD and I (I already found a shirt for DS previously) and a hogwarts shirts for each of us today online at Walmart.com.

I am definitely in for this PTR :thumbsup2 . I can't think of a better reason for a trip than to celebrate the end of your cancer treatments and the beginning of a long, healthy future! :goodvibes

You have a fabulous trip planned.....you are going to be absolutely wowed by Discovery Cove in particular. Are you all doing the dolphin swim?

And a big woohoo for your onsite stay while enjoying the Universal parks (Express Pass is da bomb!) and then a week at my favourite home away from home.... SVR! :banana: Its all sounding like an absolutely perfect getaway.

Can't wait to hear more about the plans!

Yep we are doing the Dolphin swim on Sept 1. I'm thinking of doing the cabana, picture upgrade too since this is a once in a lifetime event! We plan to spend the first 3 days at Universal since we will have express tickets. I am also looking forward to Portifino. We visited it last time we were here and really were taken by it. I love going club level too. I find it it a good value for us. We do breakfast there. We tend to stay in the parks until lunch, have lunch out then go back to the the hotel for an afternoon pool break. We then hit the appetizer meal and go back to the parks until close. last time we were here we often made it back in time for dessert too.

I'm hoping to find some good coupons I bought the hash house one before I figured out it expired before we even got to Orlando. (Thankfully it could be refunded) we want to try Miller's Ale house too.

These are the shirts I ordered for my daughter and I. I went to 5 different stores looking for women's minion shirts with no luck. I ordered this from Walmart.com. We live 45 minutes from a ferry border crossing. SomI had them shipped there.
image.jpg

Glad to hear you're getting better and have such a great trip planned!!

Look forward to hearing more and love the minion top........:thumbsup2

Yep we are doing the Dolphin swim on Sept 1. I'm thinking of doing the cabana, picture upgrade too since this is a once in a lifetime event! We plan to spend the first 3 days at Universal since we will have express tickets. I am also looking forward to Portifino. We visited it last time we were here and really were taken by it. I love going club level too. I find it it a good value for us. We do breakfast there. We tend to stay in the parks until lunch, have lunch out then go back to the the hotel for an afternoon pool break. We then hit the appetizer meal and go back to the parks until close. last time we were here we often made it back in time for dessert too.

I'm hoping to find some good coupons I bought the hash house one before I figured out it expired before we even got to Orlando. (Thankfully it could be refunded) we want to try Miller's Ale house too.

The cabana and photo package are wonderful upgrades to your DC day, if the budget can handle 'em. I would try and get your cabana ASAP though, as they often sell out in the super hot months.

Love the minion tank top that you bought for your DD :) . How awesome that you live close enough to the border to be able to order from the US retailers and pick up the packages state side!

What a great way to kick cancers butt, sounds like you are well on your way. look forward to reading your reports :)

I added the elite package onto our Discovery Cove day of Sept 3.
This ultimate pampering experience also includes your photo and video memories so you can take home and share.

• A buoy with personalized message delivered by a dolphin
  • Discovery Cove Signature Tote Bag
  • Deluxe photo frame and plush toy
  • A private cabana
    • Host / Hostess
    • Comfortable seating for up to 6 guests
    • Private and stocked refrigerator
    • Private locker
    • Snack, beverage and towel service
  • Discovery Photo Package (valued at $229 including an assortment of photo prints, digital photo CD, Dolphin Interaction DVD, poster, photo frame and a photo album)

I added the elite package onto our Discovery Cove day of Sept 3.
This ultimate pampering experience also includes your photo and video memories so you can take home and share.

• A buoy with personalized message delivered by a dolphin
  • Discovery Cove Signature Tote Bag
  • Deluxe photo frame and plush toy
  • A private cabana
    • Host / Hostess
    • Comfortable seating for up to 6 guests
    • Private and stocked refrigerator
    • Private locker
    • Snack, beverage and towel service
  • Discovery Photo Package (valued at $229 including an assortment of photo prints, digital photo CD, Dolphin Interaction DVD, poster, photo frame and a photo album)

Have you decided what you are going to have written on your buoy?

Just went with our names and family vacation with the date. Not very exciting but oh well

Had an exciting beginning of July though. My DS was in the opening ceremonies of the PanAm Games in Toronto. We got to go to the dress rehearsal for free and I watched the official ceremonies on the TV ( where I Could see him more). I spent the first couple days at Niagara Falls with him then we moved to the New Delta beside the Rodgers centre. He had to be at the Rodgers centre all day on the wed-fri leading up to the show and DD was dancing elsewhere so I had some relaxing time to myself. I found a good deal on a tall ship so I did a nice cruise. On the weekend we took in Roller Figure skating and I got the kids a groupon for SUP lessons on the island. Now I am so bored at home without them so I booked a room for this upcoming weekend at the Delta again ( which has been quite reasonable on Priceline). The count down is on though, they both just have 11 days left of their summer intensives! Love this picture from the opening ceremonies. It is cool how they are all jumping at the same level!
image.jpg

So I need to get my endurance up before this trip. Orlando trips are tiring in normal standards but now I really need to turn it up. From February to mid June I had difficulty walking from my bedroom to the kitchen in my house. I would get winded and couldn't catch my breath. I used a scooter for any distance. The scooter went back at the end of June and I didn't do too bad when I was in Toronto earlier this month.

There is a new workout path near my house. It is a 1 km loop with workout equipment stations throughout. So today I started working out there. I did all the cardio ones with 100 reps and then did 10 for arms ( I still have my pic line in so I don't want to push it too much). It was enjoyable and I am going to do it every day if I can!

One good thing about this is that I was 210 lbs when all,of this started, now I am 135 which is my high school weight. A silver lining to this cancer deal!. I had to get all new clothes I went from a size 18 to an 8.

Me now and last summer image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

Thank you for sharing your pre trip report. You have been through a lot. What a great goal to work towards. You have a beautiful family. You must me so proud of your talented children. I will be cheering you on as you continue to progress in your recovery. I Love your shirt. I am wishing for you and your family a great vacation. Look forward to your future trip reports.

29 days until we leave!:cool1::cool1::banana:

And the kids have 3 days left of their ballet summer intensives, so on Friday I'm back to Toronto to move them out and back home!

Plus leaving in a couple minutes for my second last chemo treatment

It is a good day

:teacher:
29 days until we leave!:cool1::cool1::banana:

And the kids have 3 days left of their ballet summer intensives, so on Friday I'm back to Toronto to move them out and back home!

Plus leaving in a couple minutes for my second last chemo treatment

It is a good day

2nd last treatment!! Woohoo! :cheer2: :woohoo:

You must be getting super excited, with the end of your chemo, the kids returning home, and your trip all coming up so soon!!! :thumbsup2 Fun times indeed :teeth: .

Got tickets for the Eco tour at showcase of citrus. It was 29.75 for 2 adults and one child on living social. Looks like fun!

Got tickets for the Eco tour at showcase of citrus. It was 29.75 for 2 adults and one child on living social. Looks like fun!

Its a nice little side excursion and you got a really great price on your admission :) . I think you will have a lot of fun there. We've done it twice now....once in August 2014, the other in August 2013, and had great experiences both times.

Be sure to plan to enjoy one of their mouthwatering orange slushies....100% pure and made from their own fruit. If you're feelin' indulgent, have one with their vanilla soft serve (it makes my husband swoon :rotfl:):

I found a coupon on their site for buy one orange slushie get one free too. I think we will do this after we land in Orlando as we get in at 9:45 am. Bit worried about the heat at noon but heck we can go to the hotel from there check in and dive in the pool

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter