Keybox vs keyless entry?

CattailGal

Mouseketeer
Some homes have a lockbox for the keys. This doesn't seem as secure as a keycode for entry. Is this common with rental homes?

KC

I have rented from both and much prefer the keyless entry. The key box was secure enough because you had to put a code in for it to open and the key to come out. I just don't care for the hassle myself.

But a copy could be made of the key, right? Do you have to get the key each time you enter, or you keep it out for the duration of your stay?

Seems like a code would be more secure!

KC

I kept the key with me the entire trip and then you replace it at the end. It is NOT my preferred method and I have only had to do this one time. I actually look for keyless entries. I don't want to lug a key around the entire time or forget to put it back or lock it in the room........etc, etc. :)

I have no idea if you can get a copy made or not, I guess it would be possible unless something was on the key somewhere about the copying.

Lock boxes are fine as long as the last guest has remembered to put it back when their departure day comes along :).It is on a code so you have to have the code to remove it and then most guests keep it on them for their stay unless their party goes different ways at some point - when if there is only 1 key- it has to be put in the box.Although in theory someone could have a copy made unless they are local to the house I cannot see the point as if they want to remove items from the house they do it during their stay and if they are not local then the key wouldn't do them any good.
Electronic locks are good but they still should have a lock box as a back up incase the batteries fail

I've done lock boxes and keyless entry, and also prefer keyless entry.

For what it's worth, I did actually make a copy of one of the keys for a lock box during one of my stays. The owner only had 1 key to the condo, and the deadbolt was one that required a key to lock it from the inside or outside of the door. So if, for instance, the wife and kids wanted to take a nap and I wanted to go to the pool, we'd either have to leave the door unlocked, I'd have to lock it from the outside (effectively locking them in - a fire hazzard), or they could lock from the inside and I'd be locked out until they were done napping. So I went to Lowe's and paid the $2 or whatever to get the key copied. I ended up leaving both keys as a way to pay it forward to the next guest, in case they were also stuck with the same issue...

Keyless entry are great if you are going with a group.

All can have access of the number and get into the home easily.

Some homes have a lockbox for the keys. This doesn't seem as secure as a keycode for entry. Is this common with rental homes?

KC

It depends on the management company. The one we rent from (Florida Sun Vacation Homes) uses the keycode entry. I absolutely prefer this since we can go straight to the vacation home upon arrival rather than going to a different location to pick up the key. I also agree with the PP that if you have a large group, it's easier to split up and allow everyone to come and go at different times.

It depends on the management company. The one we rent from (Florida Sun Vacation Homes) uses the keycode entry. I absolutely prefer this since we can go straight to the vacation home upon arrival rather than going to a different location to pick up the key.

It isn't necessary to go elsewhere to get a key if there is a lockbox. We just rented in Windsor Palms last month. The lockbox was outside the front door. I was emailed the code to access the key. I opened it when we arrived, kept the key with me the whole time and put it back when we left. Very simple.

Cruz91 makes an excellent point about only having one key, though. That would be a problem for a deadbolt that must have the key to lock from inside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter