Key West Arrival Time

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by e_s_jones, Mar 20, 2011.

1. e_s_jones

e_s_jones Disney Dad

Does anyone know why the Magic arrives so late in Key West? Does the trip down from Port Canaveral really take that long?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mjruane

mjruane Earning My Ears

I would like to know the answer as well... anyone?:confused3

4. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

Not sure why but it always has arrived that time.....sometimes, though, they do stay until much later (usually when they are giving the crew some needed extra time off). This may not be announced ahead of time...just something that may happen once you are onboard.

MJ

5. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

We heard from a CM yesterday late afternoon that they were going to stay overnight in Key West last night. He was very happy about it.

6. MoserFamily

MoserFamily Earning My Ears

I would imagine it's that time because it takes that long. When we went in February, we had to stop because the ship saw a boat of Cuban refugees. We had to wait for the Coast Guard for an hour and a half or so, and were late docking in Key West as a result. I would assume if they could get there quicker, they would.

7. clten

clten DIS Veteran

It does take that long. I knew it was a few hundred nautical miles but couldn't remember exactly how many. I did find a port distance calculation and it calculated it out to 320 nautical miles from Port Canaveral to Key West.

If they sail on time, they usually aren't out of the channel and "up to speed" until 6pm. Then when they arrive in Key West area around 11am, it's pretty slow going from that time into the port. That leaves about 17 hours of travel at speed (I know they go slower until after dinner the first night and they speed up overnight) but that still calculates out to an average speed of just under 19 knots and that sounds about right.

8. e_s_jones

e_s_jones Disney Dad

I was watching the ship on the Westin webcam last night, and was wondering why it was still there at 10PM!

9. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

LOL!!! Yes, they went to Sloppy Joe's I think and did some shopping. :)